meh2

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Baseball Impact

25 minutes ago, bigmarc27 said:

I think that message needs to be heavily amended in the social media age. 

I might argue the opposite.  Attention spans are so short, you need to be in front of people daily, even if it's negative.  People will forget and move on quickly.

11 minutes ago, 89Topps said:

I might argue the opposite.  Attention spans are so short, you need to be in front of people daily, even if it's negative.  People will forget and move on quickly.

Negativity doesn’t bother me, it’s not vetted and there’s no accountability.  

Contrast this to the A's crappy move I posted up thread:

According to Kyle Glaser of Baseball America, the Marlins will continue paying their minor league players through the end of August.

That essentially accounts for the entire 2020 minor league season. It's the longest such commitment by any MLB organization to date and it comes in stark contrast to a recent decision by the Athletics, who are cutting off minor league pay -- just $400 per player, per week -- at the end of May.

Source: Kyle Glaser on Twitter       May 27, 2020, 9:57 AM ET

Who would have guessed it would be the Marlins organization who would come out of this as the good guy.

Pretty much everything we feared is happening so far. Airing dirty laundry, bickering, and reneging on previous agreements. The majority of fans will blame the players no matter what. To see MLB blowing this opportunity to lead the way back to normalcy just sucks. It's almost June and time is running out.

no matter what happens with these negotiations I won’t be playing fantasy baseball, but I sure would like to see the baseball season start  to gauge how things are handled regarding the virus, so the football heads can get the s&^t worked out, to make sure we have a football season. 

• Thanks 1

Padres follow Marlins in being decent to their minor leaguers and also pay staff:

Dennis Lin of The Athletic reports that the Padres plan to pay their minor leaguers through the end of August.

The team has also committed to paying its entire baseball operations staff through October 31, though some higher-paid employees are taking pay cuts. Padres minor leaguers will continue to receive the agreed-upon $400 per week stipend as the baseball world attempts to wait out the coronavirus pandemic.

Source: Dennis Lin on Twitter                                  May 27, 2020, 2:04 PM ET

Rangers only guarantee pay to minors through June though that is at least a bit better than the Oakland Scrooges.

Levi Weaver of The Athletic reports that the Rangers have committed to paying their minor leaguers $400 per week through at least the end of June.

Worth noting, though, is that the Rangers never did minor league cuts at the end of spring training, so those are expected in the coming days. Still, good on the club for extending the pay for their minor leaguers when other teams haven't done the same.

Source: Levi Weaver on Twitter                             May 27, 2020, 2:59 PM ET

I don't know what they mean by cuts.  Is that referring to reducing pay to $400 a week for prospects?

I'm hanging onto this topic by a very slim thread. The more interesting stuff is in the Football forum frankly. 

I'm very concerned about MLB at this point - and not just for this season. They are committing suicide if they don't get a product out in June.

• Like 1

Well things are going swimmingly I see ... not:

Jon Heyman of MLB Network reports that some within the MLBPA feel that MLB's economic proposal "doesn’t even warrant (a) counter proposal."

Players held a call Wednesday and were “pretty galvanized” in their disdain for MLB's proposal, with the reactions ranging from “disappointing” to “disrespectful,” per Heyman. Heyman does add that some feel this is all “part of (the) process,” so perhaps the two sides eventually will be able to find common ground. However, there's no doubting that MLB's initial proposal -- which called for massive player salary cuts on a "sliding scale" basis -- was ill-received.

Source: Jon Heyman on Twitter                      May 27, 2020, 9:44 PM ET

Dear MLB owners,

First off, congratulations on being a billionaire. Second off, please accept the players’ proposal so that you can bring back this great game. You have the ability to uplift the spirits of a great number of Americans as well as people all across the world during these difficult times. Over 100,000 Americans have died from this virus and millions are out of work. Bringing the game back won’t be able to fix that, but it will be a much needed distraction and ratings will be higher than ever. You’re going to face some losses, but you’re creative and you’ll find ways to offset some of that. Fans will accept more ads. Hell, you can even put a small ad or two on player’s uniforms, hats, etc. And you’ll have plenty of opportunities to recoup your losses in the next few years. We all know that ticket prices are going up next year while payrolls are going down. Just give us the game back and quit arguing about money.

Thanks,

Meh

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Thursday, May 28, 2020

📰 What you need to know
1. Max Scherzer blasts latest pay cut proposals as MLB, MLBPA continue to disagree during talks
Ah, another day and yet another wonderful update on the MLB's dramatic and unbearable strife over the economic approach to a shortened 2020 season. Are we loving this yet or what?
Today's first bit of news on the ongoing saga has to do with one of the league's most prominent players speaking out with a very emphatic rejection of the owners' latest proposal. Nationals pitcher Max Scherzer has added his name to the list of players that are very clearly against the idea of giving 
  • Scherzer: "After discussing the latest developments with the rest of the players there's no reason to engage with MLB in any further compensation reductions. We have previously negotiated a pay cut in the version of prorated salaries, and there's no justification to accept a 2nd pay cut based upon the current information the union has received. I'm glad to hear other players voicing the same viewpoint and believe MLB's economic strategy would completely change if all documentation were to become public information."
Phew, that's probably the juiciest reaction we've gotten from a player yet. Not only is Scherzer holding extremely firm on not taking any additional pay cuts, he also seems to suggest that the MLB owners are purposely hiding or fudging financial numbers during the negotiation process for the purpose of convincing players to take less money and/or convince the general public that it's the players who are being greedy. A majority of MLB teams are privately held, so they're under no obligation to disclose financials, and it certainly wouldn't be the first time clubs have been accused of manipulating their numbers.
Meanwhile, it should be noted that Scherzer was supposed to make nearly $30 million this season, making him one of the league's highest-paid players. Under the reported salary reductions proposed by the owners earlier this week, Scherzer would make less than $7 million. It's not hard to understand why he'd be particularly fired up. Moving forward, it's probably going to be the league's most notable stars -- those who stand to lose the most money -- within the player's union speaking out against the offer.
And while this whole ordeal is annoying enough in its own right, our Dayn Perry believes that the hostile negotiations between MLB and the MLBPA could be preview of things to come when the two sides meet to discuss the next CBA. The league's current CBA is set to expire after the 2021 season and this mess might be a precursor to a labor strife (and potential lockout) after next season.
Hooray! Remember when our biggest annoyances with baseball were pace of play and arguments over the merits of the universal DH? Man, those were the days.

Get up to speed with what's trending in the NFL each morning with senior writer Will Brinson.
Subscribe Now
FOLLOW CBS SPORTS
image image image
You are receiving this email because you're opted in to receive the CBS Sports HQ Newsletter from CBSSports.com.
To ensure delivery of emails from CBSSports.com, please add contact@email.cbssports.com to your address book.
Not a HQ AM/PM newsletter subscriber? Sign up here.
%0

Weren't people suggesting that players like Rizzo would fear returning to baseball?  I don't think so.

#1 MLB's season gets cancelled due to money issues

#2 The NBA resumes their season and the season finishes without any problems

#3 The NFL has a normal season without any problems

If these 3 things happen Major League Baseball will lose half of their already dwindling fanbase. 

• Like 1

NHL? 

Here we are on Friday, May, 29, and nothing is even close to coming together. While not totally surprising, it's still awe-inspiring to see this league blow this opportunity. It is simply suicidal to not at least make a concerted effort to put something on the field this season. Yes, it will be lame and gimmicky, but it'd be SOMETHING. If this falls through because of the owners and fans place blame solely on the players, it will be disastrous for the upcoming CBA negotiations. I can't see how anyone is feeling positive about this.

7 minutes ago, TribeFoo said:

Here we are on Friday, May, 29, and nothing is even close to coming together. While not totally surprising, it's still awe-inspiring to see this league blow this opportunity. It is simply suicidal to not at least make a concerted effort to put something on the field this season. Yes, it will be lame and gimmicky, but it'd be SOMETHING. If this falls through because of the owners and fans place blame solely on the players, it will be disastrous for the upcoming CBA negotiations. I can't see how anyone is feeling positive about this.

Yeah I have never been less optimistic about the season then today. I normally always back the players, but all parties need to get it together here. Maybe it is just deadline tactics, as per usual, with this type of big business negotiations? But if this continues to drag out, I can see the owners just shelving the season.

https://theathletic.com/1843384/2020/05/29/stark-memo-to-baseball-dont-drive-off-this-cliff/

Paywalled, I know.

So now imagine what happens in a couple of weeks, if this round of labor talks winds up in the same dysfunctional place. Imagine those dueling Zoom press conferences, as Rob Manfred and Tony Clark try to explain why there won’t be an MLB season in 2020, at a time when America has never needed one more.

I’ve asked lots of people in baseball lately to compare that outcome to canceling the World Series in 1994. Every one of them has had the same response:

“Oh, this would be worse. Much worse.”

So David Price is not an as# after all

12 minutes ago, urban2014 said:

So David Price is not an as# after all

It's all a facade. It's a "fresh start" in LA, he'll mess it up, give him time

3 hours ago, KCTD25 said:

Props to John Sherman, the new Royals owner. Paying all minor leaguers the entire season, and no furloughs of employees. 

https://mobile.twitter.com/JeffPassan/status/1266447329571282947

Also the Twins:

Jeff Passan of ESPN reports that the Twins have committed to continue paying their minor leaguers $400 per week and their full benefits through August 31.

That's essentially through what would have been the end of the minor league season (which hasn't been canceled yet but is expected to be). The Twins also do not plan to release any of their minor leaguers, per Passan. They join the Padres and Marlins as clubs known to have committed to paying their minor leaguers through at least the end of August.

Source: Jeff Passan on Twitter         May 29, 2020, 2:32 PM ET

And the Reds did them all one week longer:

The Reds announced Friday that they will pay their minor leaguers through September 7.

September 7 would have been the official end of the 2020 minor league season. Every minor leaguer still employed by the Reds organization will continue to receive a previously-agreed-upon $400 weekly stipend.

Source: Mark Sheldon on Twitter                           May 29, 2020, 3:58 PM ET

Props to these smaller market teams leading the way as the big organizations remain silent and lag behind.

So the owners are going to lose billions no matter what happens this season under any scenario, right? Is there any force beyond fan retention that would incentivize them to give up the billions that the players are asking for?

If this season is cancelled, they can just reopen next season and hold players to their contracts and treat it as business as usual assuming stadiums are open, albeit with an expiring collective bargaining agreement, right?  Why wouldn’t they just shutter up, cut as many losses as possible, and figure the fans will be back next year?

https://mobile.twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/status/1266511461372833792

If the owners aren't even willing to show how they arrived at the numbers that got them to claim that they would be taking on losses, this creating a necessity to renegotiate, it would appear that their efforts were always in bad faith.

Open the books or honor your commitments.

• Like 1