meh2

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Baseball Impact

10 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

It seems like a reasonable counter? I dunno. They wanted pro rated amounts and they also offered expanded playoffs, so I don't think it's insulting. 

Idk, players wanted 114 games or so? Owners come back at 50-60, with expanded playoffs where players make less money...I can't imagine the union likes this?

Just now, JE7HorseGod said:

Yeah I agree.  That actually sounds like a good compromise.

1 minute ago, tonycpsu said:

To the extent that the PR battle matters here, the side pushing for less baseball just so they can save some payroll costs is going to have a tough go of it.

I'm not sure it's the end point, but I'm seeing it as a rational response to what was asked.  I would bet if there's an agreement it will be for more games and money still.

The players wanted a pro rated amount plus they were concerned about Coranvirus safety.  MLB has now given them their pro rated amount as well as technically made it safer by shortening the season.

I'm not saying this is a great deal to be clear, but I do think the MLBPA has to now figure a way to word their demands better..  What can they say now? We want to play more games? That was offered.  

1 minute ago, ST. STEVEN said:

Idk, players wanted 114 games or so? Owners come back at 50-60, with expanded playoffs where players make less money...I can't imagine the union likes this?

Just meet in the middle at the original 82 with expanded playoffs and call it a day?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ST. STEVEN said:

No they won't like it, they want to make more than 50% of their contract, not less. I agree, but it is what they technically asked for. 

2 minutes ago, JE7HorseGod said:

Just meet in the middle at the original 82 with expanded playoffs and call it a day?

I actually feel like if an agreement is reached, it might be similar to here.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, JE7HorseGod said:

Just shocking how 114 and 50 are the numbers leaked and they average at 82... which is what most reasonable people suggested all along. The constant leaks and BS slowing this down is even more maddening if they end up in the middle ground. It's as if both sides somehow thought it was their best interests to piss the other one (and fans) off for a while.

• Like 1

A 50 game season would mean players would only get 31% of their salary. I can’t see how that would fly.

1 minute ago, pauloneillreds said:

Just shocking how 114 and 50 are the numbers leaked and they average at 82... which is what most reasonable people suggested all along. The constant leaks and BS slowing this down is even more maddening if they end up in the middle ground. It's as if both sides somehow thought it was their best interests to piss the other one (and fans) off for a while.

Lol well I guess that's why we like baseball not soccer.  No ties.

29 minutes ago, ST. STEVEN said:

Owners counter with full prorated salaries, but a 50-60 game season and expanded playoffs...yeah this should go over well.

Rotoworld blurb on same:

ESPN's Jeff Passan reports that Major League Baseball "intends to propose a shorter season in which they would pay players a full prorated share of their salaries."

Passan added on SportsCenter that the new proposal would call for 50-60 regular season games, and likely an expanded playoff format. The players, in their recent counter-proposal, pushed for 114 regular season games, but that MLB and the owners have caved on the prorated pay element -- which had been a sticking point for the union -- gives hope that there could be some form of financial agreement in the near future. The two sides also need to sort out certain aspects of the health and safety guidelines that would be necessary to return to play. Major League Baseball is supposedly aiming to begin this abbreviated regular season sometime in July.

Source: Jeff Passan on Twitter                                   Jun 1, 2020, 5:13 PM ET

1 minute ago, pauloneillreds said:

Negotiating is tough. Just like when trading with someone in fantasy. There are some people you can make a fair offer to and they will just say yes or no and others who you know no matter what will try to cut off from your asking price and lowball after. So sometimes you have to have the frustrating song and dance to get to the middle you always knew was most reasonable.

• Like 2

• Haha 2

Just now, brockpapersizer said:

Negotiating is tough. Just like when trading with someone in fantasy. There are some people you can make a fair offer to and they will just say yes or no and others who you know no matter what will try to cut off from your asking price and lowball after. So sometimes you have to have the frustrating song and dance to get to the middle you always knew was most reasonable.

BATNA is a pretty well known negotiation strategy, basically you have your ideal "win," your "best compromise" and your "walk away point" mentally assigned before talks begin.

When both sides have a BATNA, and are educated, normally "best compromise" is mutually agreed on at some point.

21 minutes ago, meh2 said:

A 50-60 game season is definitely better than no season, but I’d still be a bit disappointed from a fantasy perspective. I enjoy the skill it takes navigating through a full season. 50-60 games will make it feel like flipping coins to determine the winner. I only play roto leagues but I’d imagine it would be worse in a H2H league. Give us at least 80 games, please. 

Why even bother playing? Gear up for fanduel or draft kings 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

I understand negotiating. It's the leaks that are the problem.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, shakestreet said:

Why even bother playing? Gear up for fanduel or draft kings 

Because I’ve already invested close to $2,000 in entry fees across 10 leagues.

50-60 game season is a bummer but its better than nothing.  And admittedly I do feel a bit burnt out at points during the season to where I still watch the games but I'm not as invested.  Every game will feel much more important now.

What ever happened to the "baseball in May' guy.  🙄

26 minutes ago, meh2 said:

Because I’ve already invested close to $2,000 in entry fees across 10 leagues.

No refunds ? Why not 

29 minutes ago, shakestreet said:

No refunds ? Why not 

I haven’t asked but I’m pretty sure Fantrax isn’t offering them. I like my teams and I’m going to play it out. Like others have mentioned I think they’ll arrive at an 82 game season give or take and I’ll compete like I usually do.

18 minutes ago, meh2 said:

I haven’t asked but I’m pretty sure Fantrax isn’t offering them. I like my teams and I’m going to play it out. Like others have mentioned I think they’ll arrive at an 82 game season give or take and I’ll compete like I usually do.

That sucks man

82 games or whatever, no fans, Universal DH, or whatever they do,, wil F@@@ w fantasy squads regardless...bad yr for fantasy baseball

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Whitecloud0101 said:

That sucks man

82 games or whatever, no fans, Universal DH, or whatever they do,, wil F@@@ w fantasy squads regardless...bad yr for fantasy baseball

Ill take a bad year of fantasy baseball over no fantasy baseball any day. 😂

• Like 2

Well, the players have officially signed off on the realignment proposed earlier in this stand off. 3 divisions consisting of 10 teams per. Teams will all use home ball parks. Teams will only play teams within their divisions.

It would make sense for either a 72 game season (each team plays each other 8 times) or an 81 game season (each team plays each other 9 times)

I gotta think that if the do prorated salaries for an 82 game season, postseason salary deferrals, and a 14 team playoff that this is the best compromise for both sides.

Owners get basically an expense free postseason for TV revenues for the fiscal year.  Players get the salaries they asked for for the given number of games they play.

If they can't get this done, I hate to say it, but the sport deserves to get relegated to Tru TV and ESPN Ocho.

• Like 2

As of late night June 1st:

According to ESPN's Jeff Passan, Major League Baseball views a season of around 50 games as a "last resort" option should there be no agreement with the MLBPA.

When it was first reported Monday evening that Major League Baseball had been considering a proposal to the union of an abbreviated regular season schedule but with full prorated pay, it seemed like generally positive news. But the latest follow-up from Passan suggests that this idea isn't a proposal at all and may actually be a measure that is forced into action by the league if the two sides can't sort out the financial details for a longer season. MLB commissioner Rob Manfred believes that language in the March agreement with the players gives him that power. The best hope in all of this is probably that the league and union will ultimately settle for around 80 regular-season games, expanded playoffs this year and next, and some amount of deferred pay. The coming days feel monumental for the negotiations -- and for the sport.

Source: ESPN.com                                              Jun 1, 2020, 7:37 PM ET