meh2

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Baseball Impact

Might be an unpopular opinion, but if it's a 50 games season and 3 divisions of 10...I'm just not interested in baseball this summer.  Whichever team that wins the World Series this year will always have a "But" or an asterisk next to its name.  I don't think I'd be interested in watching.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, CooL said:

Might be an unpopular opinion, but if it's a 50 games season and 3 divisions of 10...I'm just not interested in baseball this summer.  Whichever team that wins the World Series this year will always have a "But" or an asterisk next to its name.  I don't think I'd be interested in watching.

So does the team that won the 2017 World Series. I can see why a 50 game schedule feels cheap but its a lot better than losing an entire season.

50 game season is beyond lame at least for fantasy purposes. I am commish in 2 leagues and am ready to refund owners money and cancel seasons in that instance. 80+ games is acceptable barely but not 50. 

• Thanks 1

Time is ticking and the Corona virus doesn't have a cure 

6 minutes ago, urban2014 said:

Time is ticking and the Corona virus doesn't have a cure 

world in decline-for sure.

And on and on it goes:

Travis Sawchik of FiveThirtyEight reports that a potential 50-game MLB season is not acceptable to players.

It should be said that a 50-game regular season hasn't been formally proposed, but it has been floated as a possibility. The issue for the players is a financial one. While this newest concept would include full prorated pay, the bottom line doesn't really change. Sawchik writes that the first proposal would give players about 31 percent of 2020 pay and this new idea would give them just about the same.  The players opened the door to some flexibility with the idea of deferrals, so there's certainly some room for negotiation. Odds are if there's a season, middle ground will be found between the concept of 50-60 regular season games or the players' proposal of 114 games. Still, Sawchik notes that the players will be "done" talking if the owners don't come to the table with an official counter-proposal.

Source: Travis Sawchick on Twitter                    Jun 2, 2020, 12:14 PM ET

1 hour ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

And on and on it goes:

They're really pissing away this golden opportunity for baseball. The longer they drag on this nonsense the more fans will be "done" with paying attention. It baffles me neither side is considering(or at least acting upon) the future effect this could have on the income potential for both sides. The lost earnings for this year could pale in comparison with what a major decline in fan interest would do to the next five years for owners and players. 

• Like 2

Therefore hockey benefits 

50 games is ridiculous. Last years World Series winner wouldn’t have even made the playoffs after 50 games. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, daynlokki said:

50 games is ridiculous. Last years World Series winner wouldn’t have even made the playoffs after 50 games. 

Even 80 games. This season is lost and it’s time for us fans to realize that. 

LOL, guys, you had to know there was going to be some back and forth here.  The time for lamentations is when talks fall apart.  If you don't like to see how the sausage is made, don't go to the slaughterhouse, just wait to buy it at the grocery store.

• Like 3

Just now, JE7HorseGod said:

LOL, guys, you had to know there was going to be some back and forth here.  The time for lamentations is when talks fall apart.  If you don't like to see how the sausage is made, don't go to the slaughterhouse, just wait to buy it at the grocery store.

We are about a week away from the time talks would end realistically.  The fact they are so far apart is telling.  As is the fact the owners last two proposals would both end up costing them around the same amount per player.

19 minutes ago, JE7HorseGod said:

Yep, no doubt. This post should be stickied to the top of each page in this thread until an agreement is reached. I’m still playing on watching baseball on the 4th of July.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, meh2 said:

Yep, no doubt. This post should be stickied to the top of each page in this thread until an agreement is reached. I’m still playing on watching baseball on the 4th of July.

This was always going to take as long as possible for both sides to posture with crappy offers and play chicken with walking away until the last minute when the pressure is on and both sides realize they need this too much and can’t face the PR nightmare anymore. I thought that time would have been a deadline of about a week ago but didn’t realize the drop dead deadline is more like 6/8 to make a July 4th start still happen. Probably need to bunker down till the literal last minute the way things are going, but the fact that they’re still horse trading even crappy offers and talking about a worst case scenario gives me hope it gets done in the next week as we have 80-100 games starting on the 4th of July. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JE7HorseGod said:

A perfect analogy. 

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Hanghow said:

This is what I'd expect if the owners really were okay with canceling the season...

Or if they weren't but wanted players to think they were.

When the rubber meets the road, somehow I think that if there is a rift between the big market teams and the small market teams as to who is ok with cancelling the season, the big market teams are gonna win that one.

Your latest negotiations blurb from Rotoworld:

Travis Sawchik of FiveThirtyEight reports that a potential 50-game MLB season is not acceptable to players.

It should be said that a 50-game regular season hasn't been formally proposed, but it has been floated as a possibility. The issue for the players is a financial one. While this newest concept would include full prorated pay, the bottom line doesn't really change. Sawchik writes that the first proposal would give players about 31 percent of 2020 pay and this new idea would give them just about the same.  The players opened the door to some flexibility with the idea of deferrals, so there's certainly some room for negotiation. Odds are if there's a season, middle ground will be found between the concept of 50-60 regular season games or the players' proposal of 114 games. Still, Sawchik notes that the players will be "done" talking if the owners don't come to the table with an official counter-proposal.

Source: Travis Sawchick on Twitter        Jun 2, 2020, 12:14 PM ET

Basketball is expected to approve a plan to resume play today.  Hockey already has.

There's going to be a LOT of scrutiny, and IMO, lost interest in the game if the other two are playing and baseball is not because of economics.

34 minutes ago, JE7HorseGod said:

Basketball is expected to approve a plan to resume play today.  Hockey already has.

There's going to be a LOT of scrutiny, and IMO, lost interest in the game if the other two are playing and baseball is not because of economics.

Yup, Agreed.

I was a little kid when 94 happened. I dont remember anything about it. I grew up in a Euro/soccer household but grew a love for baseball. I am now beginning to understand what those fans in 94 felt. I am already slowing turning my back on the MLB, but because a lack of love, but, a disgust towards both the union and the owners.

I fail to understand how it is the NHL, NBA, MLS, Euro soccer, among other things are capable of getting plans together to resume their years.. but baseball is bickering over $.. 

At the end of the day, they are very short sighted in the situation, neither will be making a ton of $ next year and for years to come if they lose this season. and quite possibly even if they play an embarrassing 50 game schedule.

• Like 3

On 6/1/2020 at 12:52 PM, Triple Short Of a Cycle said:

But the owners are losing everything that goes into the gate receipts which is used to partially pay players salaries 

Simple solution - open the books and prove it. 

They want everyone to just believe what they say in terms of financials relating to their clubs but won't open the books to show it. 

• Like 2

On 6/2/2020 at 2:21 AM, supac720 said:

50 game season is beyond lame at least for fantasy purposes. I am commish in 2 leagues and am ready to refund owners money and cancel seasons in that instance. 80+ games is acceptable barely but not 50. 

yeah, our dynasty league will count this season if there's 82 games, and even that is something i'm not thrilled with. 50 is unacceptable.

2 hours ago, JE7HorseGod said:

there's already little interest in the game and now this is happening? those couple players who got them better enjoy those $300 million contracts they got because nobody else will get to know what it feels like.

More stuff ... yawn:

According to Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic, Major League Baseball "said it would not send a counter" to the union's proposal of a 114-game season.

Rosenthal, in the same tweet, writes that "the league said it has started talks with owners about playing a shorter season without fans, and that it is ready to discuss additional ideas with the union." The idea of trying to fit in 114 games -- and to pay the players full prorated salary shares for those 114 games -- is apparently a non-starter for MLB's ownership groups. These negotiations are playing out very publicly, with the help (or hurt?) of social media, and the best hope remains that the two sides will wind up agreeing to around 80 regular season games with expanded playoffs and some amount of deferred pay. That agreement probably needs to be in place relatively soon if there is hope of games getting underway in early July.

Source: Ken Rosenthal on TwittervvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvJun 3, 2020, 1:28 PM ET