meh2

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Baseball Impact

Im old enough to remember the strike fall out well......baseball was dying and on life support....it took the summer HR Sosa/Mac chase to win it back.....to shut it down over $ in a pandemic is way worse....Im not sure how they could recover ever.....both sides have to know this and a deal will be struck within a week - predicting 80 games

• Like 1

It'll get done. The owners will take it on the chin for a year and they'll stick it back to the players in the next few free agent classes. The alternative would seem far worse for both.

2 hours ago, Big Tuna said:

Im old enough to remember the strike fall out well......baseball was dying and on life support....it took the summer HR Sosa/Mac chase to win it back.....to shut it down over $ in a pandemic is way worse....Im not sure how they could recover ever.....both sides have to know this and a deal will be struck within a week - predicting 80 games

I was 13 that summer and I was very pissed to see Tony Gwynn's run at Ted Williams' record come to an end due to a strike. The Expos were stacked that year too and I liked that squad. I stopped watching baseball regularly for several years. I was already a college basketball nutcase but I began watching more NFL football during the mid 90s. I didn't get back to watching regular season baseball regularly until 2005. What brought me back was that Red Sox/Yankees ALCS. I watched every game of that series and it brought back that love for the game. I started playing fantasy baseball the next year (2005) just so I can get re familiar with the league and the players. And I just so happened to be stationed out of the country for the whole year at Osan Air Base in 2005 so watching sports was a way to stay connected with what was going on back at home. It was kind of weird watching Sunday Night PrimeTime Baseball games at 10AM-2PM Monday. Watching college football games Sunday morning starting at 2AM and the same with the NFL games watching those on Monday early in the morning. We watched the Super Bowl at 9 in the morning on Monday. My commanding officer gave us that Monday off. 

Anyways, I don't really count the Steroid Summer because I feel like that was a fake resurgence because it was not even about the game it was about those two guys hitting homers. After that 1998 season I didn't start back watching baseball outside watching an occasional playoff game. 2005 was when I came back for good. I don't think I will be as pissed off about this situation as I was back in 1994 but I do believe other people especially young people will be the ones who will turn their backs on the MLB. And honestly that is the demographic MLB is already losing before any of this even started. Like I posted a few pages back if the NBA and NFL get their leagues up and going while MLB shuts it down for the entire year they will lose half of their already dwindling fan base. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Cdub2k said:

I was 13 that summer and I was very pissed to see Tony Gwynn's run at Ted Williams' record come to an end due to a strike. The Expos were stacked that year too and I liked that squad. I stopped watching baseball regularly for several years. I was already a college basketball nutcase but I began watching more NFL football during the mid 90s. I didn't get back to watching regular season baseball regularly until 2005. What brought me back was that Red Sox/Yankees ALCS. I watched every game of that series and it brought back that love for the game. I started playing fantasy baseball the next year (2005) just so I can get re familiar with the league and the players. And I just so happened to be stationed out of the country for the whole year at Osan Air Base in 2005 so watching sports was a way to stay connected with what was going on back at home. It was kind of weird watching Sunday Night PrimeTime Baseball games at 10AM-2PM Monday. Watching college football games Sunday morning starting at 2AM and the same with the NFL games watching those on Monday early in the morning. We watched the Super Bowl at 9 in the morning on Monday. My commanding officer gave us that Monday off. 

Anyways, I don't really count the Steroid Summer because I feel like that was a fake resurgence because it was not even about the game it was about those two guys hitting homers. After that 1998 season I didn't start back watching baseball outside watching an occasional playoff game. 2005 was when I came back for good. I don't think I will be as pissed off about this situation as I was back in 1994 but I do believe other people especially young people will be the ones who will turn their backs on the MLB. And honestly that is the demographic MLB is already losing before any of this even started. Like I posted a few pages back if the NBA and NFL get their leagues up and going while MLB shuts it down for the entire year they will lose half of their already dwindling fan base. 

Not to mention potential future stars who are kids now who would prefer to pursue a sport that's actually playing.

I remember reading an article once on the improvement of Oregon's college football team.  They interviewed players who came from all different parts of the country who said that they became fans of Oregon because they saw them on TV and thought Phil Knight's uniforms looked cool.

Exposure is extremely relevant to talent.  So is the possibility that they might constantly have to squabble with ownership to get paid.

This year's losses are nothing compared to future losses if they lockout again, IMO.

Posted (edited)

And on it goes:

Jon Heyman of MLB Network reports that owners are "steadfast" in seeking to end the season around November 1

Heyman reports that owners believe that time frame gives teams the best chance to complete a season and playoffs without having to shut things down again before a potential second wave increases cases of the COVID-19 pandemic. The MLBPA, on the other hand, believes that teams can play deeper into November; citing sports like the NFL and college football that reportedly plan on doing so. It's just one of several issues that have to be worked out -- and worked out quickly -- before the season has a chance to begin/take place. 

Source: Jon Heyman on Twitter                                       Jun 4, 2020, 12:05 PM ET

I'm with the owners here.  Nothing can be worse than no season other than a season having to be canceled going into the playoffs.  It would be like reading a book but stopping before the last chapter or seeing a movie and stopping right before the big final battle between the good guys and the bad guys.  To "assume" that just because the NFL thinks it is immune to the virus (see ostrich with head in sand) that that will somehow make baseball immune too.

Plan for the worse and if it doesn't happen then good, hurray for us.  Don't plan for the worse and then it happens and then the whole thing crumbles to pieces.

Also post-November baseball means teams will have to play away from their home area which always seems weird.  I hate neutral sites even if home fields are empty of fans it just feels better to see games in your team's park.  I'd rather see an empty Wriggly Field or Fenway Park or Yankee Stadium etc than my team playing it's "home games" in the grubby catwalk dungeon of the Trop.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory

NBA has approved plan and is officially returning.

NHL has offically approved its playoff plan and return to play.

MLB has lost its chance to do something big. They could have already been in Spring Training 2.0 if they had of just negotiated like men, and not children.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, jonninho said:

NBA has approved plan and is officially returning.

NHL has offically approved its playoff plan and return to play.

MLB has lost its chance to do something big. They could have already been in Spring Training 2.0 if they had of just negotiated like men, and not children.

Super disappointed in the game I love. They dropped the ball hard, or didn't catch it like Canseco. 

Canseco Head GIF | For The Win

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jonninho said:

I am not so sure. The corona virus didn’t magically disappear. 

5 minutes ago, shakestreet said:

Exactly. MLS is already starting to get positive tests. 

1 hour ago, shakestreet said:

I get that. I know it is still out there, but, the reality is, even with it out there, soccer leagues in Italy, England, Spain, Portugal, Germany (among many others like Belarus who never even stopped playing) have either already begun playing again, or have official start up dates. The NHL has announced an official plan to return. The NBA has announced an official date to restart. MLS literally announced today that they have approved team training. The virus isnt going away.. i get that.. but if all these other countries/leagues/teams/players are capable of moving on with the virus still out there, why cant MLB? Why are they so different? They arent. 

1 hour ago, daynlokki said:

Exactly. MLS is already starting to get positive tests. 

MLS has given the green light for full team training. The unfortunate reality is we will all be living with this virus out there for the foreseeable future. We gotta deal with it.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jonninho said:

Why are they so different? They arent. 

From a health prospective, they aren't.

The difference is at this point mistrust between ownership and the players and is purely financial.

2 minutes ago, JE7HorseGod said:

From a health prospective, they aren't.

The difference is at this point mistrust between ownership and the players and is purely financial.

Understood.

That is my point when suggesting they are negotiating like children and not men. I am by no means a business man, and certainly not somebody with pockets deep enough to own a sports franchise, yet, even i understand the ramifications a lost season (and even a 50 game season) would have on their finances moving forward and the loss of interest that will accumulate within the fan base.

This really isnt rocket science. Short term loss. Long term gain. Come on.. *shrug*

• Like 1

River Ave Blues put it pretty succinctly - if they can't play because of the virus, so be it. It might be the case for all sports. But if they scotch the season because a bunch of millionaires and billionaires can't reach a financial compromise it's gonna burn baseball to the ground.

More Rotoworld Blurbs for your reading pleasure:

Evan Grant of the Dallas Morning News was told by two major league sources Thursday that MLB "is inclined to allow local and municipal governance to take precedence when it comes to allowing fan attendance at games."

It's especially notable for the Rangers and Astros, as Texas governor Greg Abbott announced Wednesday that sports teams in the state could now allow attendance up to 50 percent of stadium capacity. Globe Life Field and Minute Maid Park both have capacities a little over 40,000, so each team could potentially house around 20,000 fans. To this point, Texas is the only state to have opened to pro sports with fans, although other states have indicated they may soon allow it in some capacity should they meet coronavirus containment thresholds. If it comes to fruition, it would seem to be a big homefield advantage for the Rangers and Astros. Of course, MLB and MLBPA haven't even reached an agreement yet, so we'll see.

Source: Dallas Morning News                                     Jun 4, 2020, 4:44 PM ET

But then the two sides may not come to any advantages at all at the rate things are going:

Ken Rosenthal and Evan Drellich of The Athletic report that more than 100 players met digitally Thursday and "reaffirmed virtually unanimous support" that they will not agree to a second reduction in pay.

The union already agreed in March to prorated salaries based on the number of games played and they appear to be drawing a line in the sand at not taking additional cuts. Meanwhile, the owners don't want to play any more than 50 games at the current financial agreement, believing they will continue to lose money the more games that are played. Commissioner Rob Manfred appears to have the power to set a schedule with the number of games of his choosing, and it's looking like it might come to that if neither side is willing to budge.

Source: The Athletic                                  Jun 4, 2020, 5:51 PM ET

7 hours ago, jonninho said:

MLS has given the green light for full team training. The unfortunate reality is we will all be living with this virus out there for the foreseeable future. We gotta deal with it.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.upi.com/amp/Sports_News/Soccer/2020/06/04/FC-Dallas-shuts-down-soccer-training-after-positive-COVID-19-test/5881591272375/

On 6/1/2020 at 6:07 PM, meh2 said:

Because I’ve already invested close to $2,000 in entry fees across 10 leagues.

Game over .. 

Good afternoon. Hope everyone is well. Due to the situation with the MLB and the MLBPA not being able to reach an agreement about how to proceed with the 2020 season, I have decided to issue refunds to everyone. 

And the season -- if any -- keeps getting shorter as the negotiations drag on and on:

Jeff Passan of ESPN reports that MLB's discussions with owners have focused on a 48-game season.

We've heard that the number of games the owners would like to play is around 50, but now we have a more specific number. The MLBPA, meanwhile, wants to play at least 82 games and is not willing to accept anything less than being paid full pro rata. Concessions will obviously need to be made for a deal to cross the finish line, and the two sides are running out of time if they want the season to start in early July.

Source: ESPN.com                              Jun 5, 2020, 8:52 AM ET

Originally was owners wanted around 80 games and players demanding at least 110.  Down and down the drain this goes as the rich and richer argue over monies you and me can't even imagine.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

And the season -- if any -- keeps getting shorter as the negotiations drag on and on:

Originally was owners wanted around 80 games and players demanding at least 110.  Down and down the drain this goes as the rich and richer argue over monies you and me can't even imagine.

48?

lol.

Also, now, with the talk of a possibility that some teams will be able to house fans at home games, it isnt going to help the owners case in these negotiations.

I can not speak for everybody, but, i am slowly beginning to just not care if there is baseball this season.

Yeah I am pretty much turning the page on the MLB season. Owners are holding all the cards and it is clear they will just stall this out until their demands are met.

I cancelled all my various leagues this morning and will give refunds.

So basically (assuming you're clinging to the 14 team playoff team format) you play a regular season that is 48 games and a postseason that could be like 20-25?

Yeah this is dumb.  Baseball owners are hands down the stupidest, most short sighted ownership group in professional sports.

• Like 3

Each day brings a new bad development. What a joke, missed opportunity, and huge disappointment.

• Like 2

Even Bettman couldn't find a way to biff this one.  The owners made a bad deal and now they want a mulligan, and are hoping the players lose their nerve.  I don't want baseball to lose fans, but at this point, the consequences for future CBA negotiations of letting the owners railroad the players now would be catastrophic, and just not worth it for a 50-game sham of a season.  If the players give in, then they need a promise of major concessions for the next CBA.

• Like 4