meh2

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Baseball Impact

Regardless if a season is played or not, I’m beginning to lose interest in my fantasy team. I mean, why bother with any thing less than half a season?

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, charger_ss24 said:

Regardless if a season is played or not, I’m beginning to lose interest in my fantasy team. I mean, why bother with any thing less than half a season?

I agree, but if/when something is announced to resume a season, my interest will bounce back again immediately.  

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, El_Chingon said:

I agree, but if/when something is announced to resume a season, my interest will bounce back again immediately.  

As a baseball fan yes, but not for fantasy. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, shakestreet said:

As a baseball fan yes, but not for fantasy. 

short fantasy season > no fantasy season

• Like 1

Fantasy-wise, I kind of feel like the pain of a 50-ish game season will be felt more by season-long roto players than H2H players.  Getting into the H2H playoffs is pretty luck-based already, and that's where the real excitement is, so it's not really that much of a loss to go from 20-ish regular season weeks to 8 or whatever this ends up being.  I could even see the platform providers saying screw it, let's just put everyone in a double elimination bracket from the start and play out consolation ladders and such so the players who get bounced early have something to do.  Everyone gets to have some fun and the thrill of a playoff chase without the complaints about imbalanced regular season schedules.

If you're a roto player, on the other hand, you probably love the daily grind, and the idea of the best team winning rather than being determined by how they played in a small sample of games at the end of the season.  That whole concept goes by the wayside with a season that's only 12 weeks or fewer long.  Think about how many roto teams you've had over the years that were owning the league at the all star break but slipped out of contention when your late round picks who were playing over their head crashed down to earth in the 2nd half, or where you traded yourself into the title hunt with a savvy deadline deal.  The time for all that to shake out is so small that it's outweighed by the randomness of how players will perform in short stretches.

Which is all a lot of words for me to say that I think I might actually give H2H leagues a look this year.  If it's going to be a crap shoot from the jump, it might as well be a more exciting one.  And if my teams all wash out, it's not like much was lost.

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, tonycpsu said:

Fantasy-wise, I kind of feel like the pain of a 50-ish game season will be felt more by season-long roto players than H2H players.  Getting into the H2H playoffs is pretty luck-based already, and that's where the real excitement is, so it's not really that much of a loss to go from 20-ish regular season weeks to 8 or whatever this ends up being.  I could even see the platform providers saying screw it, let's just put everyone in a double elimination bracket from the start and play out consolation ladders and such so the players who get bounced early have something to do.  Everyone gets to have some fun and the thrill of a playoff chase without the complaints about imbalanced regular season schedules.

If you're a roto player, on the other hand, you probably love the daily grind, and the idea of the best team winning rather than being determined by how they played in a small sample of games at the end of the season.  That whole concept goes by the wayside with a season that's only 12 weeks or fewer long.  Think about how many roto teams you've had over the years that were owning the league at the all star break but slipped out of contention when your late round picks who were playing over their head crashed down to earth in the 2nd half, or where you traded yourself into the title hunt with a savvy deadline deal.  The time for all that to shake out is so small that it's outweighed by the randomness of how players will perform in short stretches.

Which is all a lot of words for me to say that I think I might actually give H2H leagues a look this year.  If it's going to be a crap shoot from the jump, it might as well be a more exciting one.  And if my teams all wash out, it's not like much was lost.

I think the opposite. With an 8-9 week regular season there isn’t a long enough season to do h2h. In a ten team league you may get to play everyone once, then no playoffs. 

My h2h leagues are going to do a roto style this year if it ends up being sub-60 games. 

I play H2H and have zero interest in a 50 game season. If something isn’t figured out in the next few weeks 50 games may not even possible. You have to factor in travel time for players outside the US, getting facilities ready, etc.

Fantasy double headers will be interesting this year. 

53 minutes ago, sngehl01 said:

I think the opposite. With an 8-9 week regular season there isn’t a long enough season to do h2h. In a ten team league you may get to play everyone once, then no playoffs. 

My h2h leagues are going to do a roto style this year if it ends up being sub-60 games. 

This is what we're doing to.  A big part of luck mitigation in h2h is in the length of the season.  It's easy to win a random week, not so much 25 of em though.  8 wks you don't even play everyone once.  We're freezing our keeper league and doing a for fun roto instead. 

2 hours ago, El_Chingon said:

short fantasy season > no fantasy season

Well that is your opinion ?. I feel differently. 

Then the next two posts have different views. 

3 minutes ago, shakestreet said:

Well that is your opinion ?. I feel differently. 

Then the next two posts have different views. 

Yes, I was expressing an opinion.  This is a sports forum where people can express different opinions.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

I think what happens if there is a cancellation, given the likelyhood of public hard feelings is that MLB loses it's status as a "Major" sport and drops down a tier to join the PGA and Nascar.  ESPN's focus shifts to the big 3 during their seasons, and the "deadzone" is only August basically.

Baseball as a whole won't cease to exist, but I think A: Fan attention will decrease, and B: possibly more importantly, it'll be the end of Ken Griffey Jr and Fernando Tatis Jr types.  Children of this gen's stars will ALL follow Patrick Mahomes II.  And because of that, maybe within a decade, it'll clearly fall out of that top grouping in National attention.

Any time a baseball owner, executive or player says "it's for the fans" or "we play for the fans" is full of garbage. 

It's about self-interest. That's it.

It's time we voted with our dollars. Baseball does not care about us, why should we care about baseball? I'm a lifelong diehard baseball fan, it's my passion but this whole saga has made me question the very sport I love. What a shame.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, NoHablaIngles said:

Any time a baseball owner, executive or player says "it's for the fans" or "we play for the fans" is full of garbage. 

It's time we voted with our dollars. Baseball does not care about us, why should we care about baseball? I'm a lifelong diehard baseball fan, it's my passion but this whole saga has made me question the very sport I love. What a shame.

Come watch some fastpitch someday.  It's def about the fans,  and a much faster game.  Im 10 years into coaching here after leaving baseball.  Wouldn't trade it for a thing.  

1 hour ago, NoHablaIngles said:

Of course it's about self interest. That's the reason pretty much everybody goes to work. 

Well, obviously. But that's not really the issue. The issue is that the owners, players etc. don't really give a crap about the fans. 

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, TribeFoo said:

I play H2H and have zero interest in a 50 game season. If something isn’t figured out in the next few weeks 50 games may not even possible. You have to factor in travel time for players outside the US, getting facilities ready, etc.

Yeah funny you should mention this because it is a real thing it looks like:

Seranthony Dominguez has arrived in the United States and will soon undergo Tommy John surgery.

Dominguez was recommended for the reconstructive elbow procedure way back in March, but he struggled through "weeks of failed attempts to depart his home in the Dominican Republic amid the coronavirus pandemic," per Matt Gelb of The Athletic. The delay will likely push his rehab into late 2021.

Source: The Athletic                       Jun 5, 2020, 4:28 PM ET

Major leaguers don't get a magic wand waved to allow them to circumvent national laws and emergency orders.  Not even in the DR where baseball is king or in the US where MLB traditionally has had a lot of clout politically.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory

1 hour ago, hockeyfan77 said:

Maybe play two opponents in H2H each week...We do it in football

We do that in all my h2h leagues already, but we still have cancelled all my leagues' seasons (both keeper, dynasty and redraft). All I play is h2h points and there is just too much of the season that has vanished--and no real end in sight. Stinks, but it is what people want.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, azeri98 said:

48 games is a joke. That's not a season and whoever wins win not be considered a champion. Not in my eyes anyway.. Might as well just start with the playoffs and let everyone in. More like a tournament. Every series is a best of 7 with the winner moving on. The owners and players split the money made.

I like this...

10 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Yeah funny you should mention this because it is a real thing it looks like:

Major leaguers don't get a magic wand waved to allow them to circumvent national laws and emergency orders.  Not even in the DR where baseball is king or in the US where MLB traditionally has had a lot of clout politically.

I feel like I’ve been saying this for about a month now. 

Well there is plenty of time if it’s a 48 game schedule. Since they want the season over by Nov. 1st, how long do 14 team playoffs project to be? Then you can work backwards from the playoffs to a 48 game schedule and 3 week ST 2.0. Whatever that date is seems like the deadline to start at this point.

It is the MLBPA’s turn to counter offer right?  Owners said okay you can have full prorated pay at a grossly reduced schedule, what is their counter? Why is this moving so slow? Nobody is fooling anyone with posturing, just take it to a mediation!

Manfred needs to step in here and do his job. Set a deadline for a deal and stand by it.

• Like 4