meh2

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Baseball Impact

6 hours ago, secretagentman said:

I would rather have root canal than endure an hour and a half bore-fest watching a bunch of guys run back and forth across a huge field to score 1 point.  As I said, I compare it to watching water drip out of a faucet.  It has never been very popular here (and they have tried multiple times at various levels) and it is never going to crack the big 4 imo.  Golf is more entertaining imo and I hate golf lol.  So is darts lol. 

I could be wrong, but, im pretty sure soccer is gaining in popularity in the USA, so not really sure what youre talking about. Even in Canada, soccer has the most registered players throughout the country (more than hockey).

Beyond that, there is a reason why MLS is able to keep putting out new teams. The sport is growing and they are obviously making money. Hell, look at Atlanta (the last place i would expect to love soccer) they are constantly selling out the Mercedes Benz Stadium (over 42k)...

Youre hatred for a sport isnt reflection of Americas view of it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jonninho said:

I could be wrong, but, im pretty sure soccer is gaining in popularity in the USA, so not really sure what youre talking about. Even in Canada, soccer has the most registered players throughout the country (more than hockey).

Beyond that, there is a reason why MLS is able to keep putting out new teams. The sport is growing and they are obviously making money. Hell, look at Atlanta (the last place i would expect to love soccer) they are constantly selling out the Mercedes Benz Stadium (over 42k)...

Youre hatred for a sport isnt reflection of Americas view of it.

Some people still think that they can only watch one or two sports.

Soccer has gotten rapidly more popular in the US as compared to previous years. The television deals alone would tell anyone that. 

But then, anyone who would ever want to have a "root canal" instead of watching a sporting event may have something wrong with them in general, or may still be stuck in 1981.

Go across the pond, go to a real soccer game over in England or Spain, its 2020.

• Like 1

[ Let's not have an extended "soccer: woke or joke?" fight here fellas.] 

• Like 4

Good to see NHL and NHLPA agreed today to get going again. Training camp starts July 10th to prepare for " Return to Play"

Let's go baseball..not sure what the problem is, oh wait.....its money.....again....

15 minutes ago, B_M_Inc said:

Good to see NHL and NHLPA agreed today to get going again. Training camp starts July 10th to prepare for " Return to Play"

Let's go baseball..not sure what the problem is, oh wait.....its money.....again....

No it isn’t bro, it’s all about health and safety! /s

13 minutes ago, Theoneupper said:

No it isn’t bro, it’s all about health and safety! /s

That was the first excuse, then it moved to money rather quick....

• Like 3

5 hours ago, JE7HorseGod said:

It seems like they're a lot closer to resolving their issues than baseball.

Ya they are but some guys won't play. The NBA has already said those who don't play will forfeit their salaries. They are assuming some will not play. What has yet to be determined is how many and who.

1 hour ago, azeri98 said:

Ya they are but some guys won't play. The NBA has already said those who don't play will forfeit their salaries. They are assuming some will not play. What has yet to be determined is how many and who.

No, they receive a pay CUT, they don’t forfeit their salary. 
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.si.com/.amp-grizzlies/nba/grizzlies/news/the-nba-and-nbpa-are-working-on-agreement-for-players-who-dont-want-to-play-during-the-pandemic-without-disciplinary-action

• Thanks 1

Another proposal in the works 

9 minutes ago, urban2014 said:

Another proposal in the works 

And another rejection. This is just getting absurd.

29 minutes ago, duke of queens said:

And another rejection. This is just getting absurd.

Im hearing...after a long drawn out spat between money and if agreed upon, THEY WILL SWITCH TO COVID-19 @ that point and argue all the same shat we talked about weeks/months ago

Details of the latest:

Jon Heyman of MLB Network reports that Major League Baseball is expected to propose a 72-game season with more than 80 percent of prorated pay for players if there is a postseason.

Heyman also says that MLB is expected to "significantly raise" the amount of money going to the players if the postseason has to be canceled. The details of this proposal look ever so slightly better than what Karl Ravech of ESPN reported earlier Friday, but Heyman adds that there's "no confidence" the players will accept it and "no evidence" the MLBPA will move off of their demand for full prorated salaries. And, so, we continue to wait.

Source: Jon Heyman on Twitter                 Jun 12, 2020, 11:16 AM ET

A local sports talk show was bashing the players for not giving an inch yesterday.  And those guys are usually anti-owner and 100% behind the players and getting as much money as they can.  Even they have had it with the Blake Snells of the baseball world.  The players are totally looking like jerks PR-wise at this point.  Yes the owners aren't making big counter offers but they are making new offers which makes them look better to general public while the players just look to being sitting in the corner sulking.

35 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Details of the latest:

A local sports talk show was bashing the players for not giving an inch yesterday.  And those guys are usually anti-owner and 100% behind the players and getting as much money as they can.  Even they have had it with the Blake Snells of the baseball world.  The players are totally looking like jerks PR-wise at this point.  Yes the owners aren't making big counter offers but they are making new offers which makes them look better to general public while the players just look to being sitting in the corner sulking.

It is likely headed to a 48-50 game season imposed by the commissioner under the terms of the March agreement.  The players will get exactly what they agreed to and their reluctance to compromise is just shooting themselves in the foot imo.  If they decide to not play and use the virus as the out on that, then they will get 0.  At this point, I do not know if it really matters as a shortened season to this level with players opting out either because they do not want to deal with the virus issues and\or are upset with the limited salary as the season will be basically asterisked across the board.  Add in half the league makes the playoffs, so those 48-50 games are basically just exhibition tuneups imo.

• Like 1

I guess July 4 is out of sight now.maybe August 1?

1 hour ago, secretagentman said:

It is likely headed to a 48-50 game season imposed by the commissioner under the terms of the March agreement.  The players will get exactly what they agreed to and their reluctance to compromise is just shooting themselves in the foot imo.  If they decide to not play and use the virus as the out on that, then they will get 0.  At this point, I do not know if it really matters as a shortened season to this level with players opting out either because they do not want to deal with the virus issues and\or are upset with the limited salary as the season will be basically asterisked across the board.  Add in half the league makes the playoffs, so those 48-50 games are basically just exhibition tuneups imo.

It’s looking more and more like this. Either we get a joke of a season imposed by the commissioner or the players refuse to play and there’s no season at all. I find the timing of Manfred’s comment “"There will be a baseball season this year. One-hundred percent" to be a joke as well. He makes this statement hours before the draft on Wednesday to drum up ratings when in reality no season is definitely a possibility, and one that grows stronger everyday.

My disgust for MLB, owners, and players grows stronger everyday.

• Like 3

Yeah I am basically over it at this point.

And I am an absolute die-hard, who on average has around 5-6K worth of entry fees invested in various styles of fantasy baseball games.

ALL my leagues have decided to cancel our seasons and my dynasty and keepers will simply toll for 2021.

Now, I will still watch plenty of baseball if they can get their stuff figured out...and wager on games, but for fantasy I am out.

Also not trying to be a downer, but sure seems like the Covid stuff isn't through with us yet either. I am not so concerned about the spike in positive tests (yet) but will be very interesting to see how this affects the actual mortality rates from Covid in the next week. States like ARI and TEX seem to be getting to that uncomfortable area of hospitalizations right now. Players are gonna come down with this if even a moderate second wave comes--and comes this soon...it is going to make this season beyond challenging imo.

• Like 2

Honestly, I really wish they'd just cancel the season and take the "L". All parties get together aggressively now and work on plans for the betterment of baseball for 2021 and thus, avoiding a strike.

Talk about minor league payrates and rule proposals so we don't hold down prospects in the minors for no reason. Talk about expansion teams. Talk about rules for the betterment of the sport like DH in the NL. Talk about the CBA. Talk about better umpires. Talk about advertising the sport, give it a complete rehaul, stop the blackout game nonsense, etc.

With a cancelled season, if they did that, they could come back stronger than ever in 2021.

Of course, their going to **** the bed on everything and have a half a** short season now, and strike for like half of the year or more in '21. cool guys

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

More stuff:

MLB's latest proposal to the players includes a guarantee of 70% of player's salaries that increases to 80% if there's a postseason.

One of the things the media has done poorly throughout the back and forth between the MLB and MLBPA is report MLB's proposals as if they're really guaranteeing the salaries they've proposed. This new pact at least takes a step forward in that regard; the previous one guaranteed players only 50% of their prorated salaries if the postseason was cancelled. Still, this isn't the deal the MLBPA wants; the players believe they're owed a prorated 100% of the salaries they'd previously negotiated. They'll probably need to back off that somewhat in order to avoid MLB mandating a 48-game season. They've yet to be supplied with any good reason why they should, however.

Source: Bob Nightengale on TwitterJun 12,                       2020, 3:41 PM ET

Oh oh I know a good reason, teacher.  STOP KILLING THE GOOSE THAT LAID THE GOLDEN EGG! 

No goose (the sport of baseball) and no more golden eggs for anyone.  The owners are diversified in other businesses and will survive fine.  The players aren't.  If the players still want to become millionaires in the only thing they can become millionaires in then stop trying to kill the golden bird that makes it all possible.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory

11 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

More stuff:

Oh oh I know a good reason, teacher.  STOP KILLING THE GOOSE THAT LAID THE GOLDEN EGG! 

No goose (the sport of baseball) and no more golden eggs for anyone.  The owners are diversified in other businesses and will survive fine.  The players aren't.  If the players still want to become millionaires in the only thing they can become millionaires in then stop trying to kill the golden bird that makes it all possible.

So much doom and gloom by the fans and media.  They are going to kill baseball.  Attendance and viewing may go down a bit.

After all of the previous work stoppages and the steroid era, baseball always bounces back.   It's a great game.

I kind of disagree with the owners are diversified and will survive take.  I mean some of them will survive but some owners will hurt a lot as well.

We don't know what is in the baseball accounting ledgers but they probably pay out less than half of their revenue in player salaries.  That the rest is which is more than half of the revenue is a bit hit to the owners if the season is cancelled.

Of course the players loss of salary hurts equally on their end of things.  I wouldn't mind if they resolved things and played ball but sometimes the MLBPA has to take a stand if they want to remain strong in the long run.  The owners are hoping to drive a wedge into the union before the next CBA is up for negotiations.  The players come and go, but the fans always get screw'd in the end.

3 hours ago, ST. STEVEN said:

And I am an absolute die-hard, who on average has around 5-6K worth of entry fees invested in various styles of fantasy baseball games.

Holy moly . We have a candidate for Gamblers Anonymous.