meh2

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Baseball Impact

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, meh2 said:

That feel when someone keeps offering two and three for ones with some guys they just picked off the waiver wire for your first rounder and you just want it all to stop.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, meh2 said:

Well there it is.  A mere 48 game season will be it because there was no compromising.  Stupid greedy owners and stupid greedy players.  They are both wrong.

13 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Well there it is.  A mere 48 game season will be it because there was no compromising.  Stupid greedy owners and stupid greedy players.  They are both wrong.

Sounds like the players may file a grievance claiming that the league isn't honoring it's end of the bargain to schedule "as many games as it safely could" if they do.

What a s**tshow.

Both sides at fault.

A time baseball could do some real good in America, nope. Of course not. But football will.

MLB had a chance to do some real good and put their game in some good light. Nope...

Back to killing the sport.

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, B_M_Inc said:

But football will.

And how the NFL be able to resolve the issue of potentially fanless games without labor strife?

https://www.profootballrumors.com/2020/05/nfl-bracing-for-2021-salary-cap-decrease

"No force majeure provision exists in the CBA, meaning the league cannot unilaterally cut players’ pay. The NFL and NFLPA will need to collectively determine a solution, in the event the coronavirus forces games to be cut or played without fans. A fan-less season would result in the league losing approximately $2.3 billion. A cap decrease of around $50MM could be on the table for 2021, but the league and union would almost certainly make moves to avoid that considering the era-altering ramifications such an unprecedented decrease would induce.

So far, Jones notes the most common expected solution would be to borrow against future earnings. The NFL has already agreed to raise teams’ debt limits."

So, to sum up:

1.) They have a CBA which is built on at least more transparency and trust than the MLB, which allows them to institute a salary cap and UNDERSTAND how the financial well being between ownership and players are connected.

AND

2.) Owners are smart enough to take short term losses for long term gains.

Overall an infinitely better financial model.

• Like 1

To everyone claiming BOTH sides are greedy...Why are players at fault here? The owners didn’t budge at all, the players offered compromises to proposals. Were they just supposed to agree to get bent over while owners never moved off their position?

The owners legal representation was too shrewd and narrow sighted. Well I guess we shall see about narrow sighted. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, tucker26 said:

To everyone claiming BOTH sides are greedy...Why are players at fault here? The owners didn’t budge at all, the players offered compromises to proposals. Were they just supposed to agree to get bent over while owners never moved off their position?

The owners legal representation was too shrewd and narrow sighted. Well I guess we shall see about narrow sighted. 

There was a very simple solution to be had, back in March, when everyone knew the loss of gate revenue was a possibility, before they crafted the agreement - produce evidence of a revenue loss, and base their prorated agreements on that potential loss in good faith, and attempt to come together to enter into a real partnership with the Player's Union.

Maybe the players would have said no.  Then I would say without question the players were being unreasonable.

But they didn't do that, because they want to have their cake (complete control over the league's revenue numbers) and to eat it too (privatizing the gains and socializing the losses).

I will never, for the life of me, understand how any of this was the players' responsibility.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Wondering if it's better in keeper leagues to just skip this season.  Contacts are frozen and just pick up next spring.  Spent last year dumping to field a good team this year with players on their last year of their fantasy contracts. If it's truly a 48 game crapshoot of a season, where anything can happen. Doesn't seem "right" to use up the last year of contacts on that type of season.

• Like 1

As a commish I just hope the season is scrapped at this point. A 48-game season would have asterisks (plural and numerous) before and after any stat generated - including whoever wins the Ship - real or not.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, SuperJoint said:

As a commish I just hope the season is scrapped at this point. A 48-game season would have asterisks (plural and numerous) before and after any stat generated - including whoever wins the Ship - real or not.

A commish should just rule that there will be no fantasy season. Problem solved 

• Like 2

I F’N love baseball. Love it. I never thought there’d be a point where I don’t care about it but honestly now I could give two turds if they come back this year at all. 

• Like 6

46 minutes ago, murraygd13 said:

Wondering if it's better in keeper leagues to just skip this season.  Contacts are frozen and just pick up next spring.  Spent last year dumping to field a good team this year with players on their last year of their fantasy contracts. If it's truly a 48 game crapshoot of a season, where anything can happen. Doesn't seem "right" to use up the last year of contacts on that type of season.

This is what I’ll be lobbying for in our league. I have no interest in losing contract years in a 48 game season. I’ll watch the games but for fantasy this is useless.

1 hour ago, murraygd13 said:

I think my keeper league is going to punt 2020 like it never happened. A 50 game season is extra super for us because we do H2H

26 minutes ago, shakestreet said:

A commish should just rule that there will be no fantasy season. Problem solved 

Not that simple for me although I understand what you're saying. I have a lot of long-time owners and I can't/don't make unilateral decisions. To my surprise most owners want a go at it even at 48 games. I only commish re-drafts in baseball so that may explain it somewhat, but as I pointed out people want action. Easiest way to explain it haha.

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, The 7th Beatles said:

Figure It Out GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

The unmitigated gall to mention the "thousands of other employees" that many of them furloughed, cut salary or laid off as a human shield in their PR statement on how their attempts to bilk the players out of more money was unsuccessful and now they're going to institute a preposterously low number of games with a longer postseason.

Edited by JE7HorseGod
  • Like 3

Is Vegas still taking bets on the World Series winner this season?  A 48 game season could lead to a long shot making the playoffs and giving it a run.  Maybe someone like the Padres?  Paddack becomes a top 10 starter, Richards arm holds together for 8 starts or so, strong bullpen. Lamet comes back strong.  Some of their pitching prospects help the big league club.

The owners are coming off as a similar Donald Sterling type of group, out of touch with reality after their interaction with the players. Scumbags really. That’s it. A-holes with a-hole lawyers. 

3 hours ago, JE7HorseGod said:

Sounds like the players may file a grievance claiming that the league isn't honoring it's end of the bargain to schedule "as many games as it safely could" if they do.

Which would mean this crap will go on and on and on for weeks more.

2 hours ago, tucker26 said:

The players didn't compromise either.  Both sides are greed heads.  And to constantly argue well this side is better than that side misses the whole entire point.  It does NOT matter if one side is right and the other side is wrong.  Who gives a damn.  The point is to get the season started.  That is the only point that counts for fans.  Period.  Endlessly pointing fingers and being all self-righteous about your "side" (I'm looking at you , Snell) doesn't get anything done.  Quite with the silly blame game and play ball already.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, murraygd13 said:

Is Vegas still taking bets on the World Series winner this season?  A 48 game season could lead to a long shot making the playoffs and giving it a run.  Maybe someone like the Padres?  Paddack becomes a top 10 starter, Richards arm holds together for 8 starts or so, strong bullpen. Lamet comes back strong.  Some of their pitching prospects help the big league club.

It is A great question...Brewers are also set up incredibly well if/when this all comes to fruition imo.

• Like 1

A 48 game season is going to be fun lets get this thing started.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Which would mean this crap will go on and on and on for weeks more.

Could be.  Could also easily bleed into a labor dispute that disrupts the 2021 season as well.

Frankly, I think the best solution at this point is to adapt to what other professional sports leagues have done, enter into a legitimate partnership with financial transparency between players and owners, institute long term rule changes, develop a new CBA that features revenue share and a salary cap.  That's probably the best way to ensure financial viability, reduce labor friction and give us a better sport for the long haul.

Whether you play 48 games in 2020 could be a short term fix that some fans are happy with, but until you address the real lack of trust between players and owners this will continue to loom, and it will damage the public perception of the game.

• Like 1

Season will be blown up by COVID-19 any way.

• Like 2

Why exactly do the players dis-believe the owners’ claims about revenue? Do they seriously believe ownership would leave money on the table by playing fewer regular season games than time permits?