meh2

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Baseball Impact

How do you guys think this will effect the trade deadline?  Do they push it past July 31st?  Are more teams still in it making it a buyers market?

9 minutes ago, FouLLine said:

How do you guys think this will effect the trade deadline?  Do they push it past July 31st?  Are more teams still in it making it a buyers market?

First we need a start date.

I become less optimistic by the day that we are going to see anything resembling a season - IF they get back to playing real games in July - we get what? 81 games . 😪

2 hours ago, MrBrett said:

I know it's a big IF! But if we do see MLB this year how important is having playoffs and a World Series champion this season? I ask the question because we could then use the month for more games for the whole league.

I'm not sure I'm understanding the question.  How important is it for MLB to have playoffs and a World Series?

What would be the point otherwise?  

Like, would they just play a regular season, then just end with no conclusion?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, MrBrown said:

First we need a start date.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/28911168/pro-basketball-reemerging-asia-amid-coronavirus-recovery

Korean basketball league has games scheduled for the end of the month.  Apparently Japan already resumed their basketball league and is optimistic about hosting the Olympics in July.

2 minutes ago, FouLLine said:

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/28911168/pro-basketball-reemerging-asia-amid-coronavirus-recovery

Korean basketball league has games scheduled for the end of the month.  Apparently Japan already resumed their basketball league and is optimistic about hosting the Olympics in July.

Optimistic = hopeful.  Not sure that will actually happen.

You can't really compare America to East Asian countries, different societies and we've taken different measures at controlling it.  Korea dealt with it long ago, while we have just started putting up warning signs.

2 minutes ago, MrBrown said:

Optimistic = hopeful.  Not sure that will actually happen.

You can't really compare America to East Asian countries, different societies and we've taken different measures at controlling it.  Korea dealt with it long ago, while we have just started putting up warning signs.

Japan doesn't mess around.  They wouldn't just say that willynilly and they've been awesome at containing covid-19.

This is a huge sign for American sports.  Don't be surprised if games are live by the time the 8 week CDC recommendation is over.

• Like 1

I have a strong suspicion that spring training games get fired back up in empty stadiums before the CDCs 8 week recommendation is over.

18 hours ago, FouLLine said:

Olympics have just been postponed.

Sounds like MLB will soon be announcing more concrete plans. If Mish is correct, and weekly double headers become a thing, this can drastically effect a lot of teams. Would almost necessitate a 6 man rotation.

Here is the latest on service time issues etc:

According to Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic, Major League Baseball has agreed with the MLBPA to grant a full year of service time to players in 2020 regardless of how many games the schedule includes.

Rosenthal adds, however, that the two sides have agreed to "table discussions" on how much service time the players would receive if the worst-case scenario plays out and the 2020 season has to be canceled entirely due to the coronavirus pandemic. There are other financial issues still being negotiated, including the payment of salaries with no games currently taking place. The league has reportedly offered the players a lump-sum advance to help them cope with the delay and will be pushing to pay only pro-rated figures whenever the season begins. As for scheduling matters, Rosenthal writes that "the players and owners are discussing a variety of options, including doubleheaders, the reduction of days off during All-Star week and the extension of the regular season past its scheduled Sept. 27 conclusion."

Source: The Athletic                    Mar 25, 2020, 8:39 AM ET

1 hour ago, Sidearmer said:

Sounds like MLB will soon be announcing more concrete plans. If Mish is correct, and weekly double headers become a thing, this can drastically effect a lot of teams. Would almost necessitate a 6 man rotation.

What is the reasoning for cutting the draft to 10 rounds ?

Posted (edited)

I suspect it may have to do with spring sports being cancelled and players getting another year of eligibility.

Also, no scouting trips.

Edited by Mongeese

so basically MLB has to do ST again if season doesnt start until June/July? or any word on how that works.

My gut tells me they could do maybe a two week training and start the season with expanded rosters.

Update:

Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic reports that the latest proposal from Major League Baseball would include an amateur draft in 2020.

Rosenthal reported early on Wednesday that the two sides would "table" the discussion of the draft and service-time, but this latest proposal would include a draft and grants a full-year of service time to players in 2020 regardless of how many games the schedule includes. The only players that would lose service time in this deal would be players who have yet to make their 2020 debut; any player who played in 2019 would have the same amount of service time applied to 2020, even if the season is canceled. The union would also have to agree to prorated salaries, and agree to not sue for full salaries in the future. The proposal also pushes the draft back to a later date than the original, with the event having been previously scheduled for June 10 in Omaha. 

Source: Ken Rosenthal on Twitter                           Mar 25, 2020, 5:16 PM ET

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/columnist/bob-nightengale/2020/03/25/mlb-union-agreement-season-extend-novemeber/5078098002/

that MLB is actually talking about the possibility of the entire season being cancelled is mind boggling. I don't want to be insensitive, but I want baseball. I don't even really care if it's teams playing in front of completely empty stadiums, I want baseball this summer. I refuse to believe this will continue like this through July. how can they say will still be like this after all of April, all of May, and even all of June.

38 minutes ago, Mongeese said:

My gut tells me they could do maybe a two week training and start the season with expanded rosters.

Rob Silver said on his last pod that there was another season truncated by a labor dispute and that they had a 2 week ramp up for the season.  However, even the top aces were only throwing 4-5 innings in the first games.

Another aspect of all this: if there is a season, The Astros are off the hook.  I don't think they'll get beaned as much.  I was fading them because they were going to get abuse from fans, other teams and press all year.  I think that, particularly when you have been caught cheating (as opposed to say, rival fans booing you, which is part of the game), that is going to drag some people down psychologically. Now, stealing signs is going to seem like a triviality.  

1 minute ago, GamblorLA said:

Rob Silver said on his last pod that there was another season truncated by a labor dispute and that they had a 2 week ramp up for the season.  However, even the top aces were only throwing 4-5 innings in the first games.

Another aspect of all this: if there is a season, The Astros are off the hook.  I don't think they'll get beaned as much.  I was fading them because they were going to get abuse from fans, other teams and press all year.  I think that, particularly when you have been caught cheating (as opposed to say, rival fans booing you, which is part of the game), that is going to drag some people down psychologically. Now, stealing signs is going to seem like a triviality.  

Eh, I doubt that. Teams won't forget about it. Once Opening Day rolls around I think we will get back to actual baseball stories. The added Spring Training will be the time to discuss the virus while there are games.

As far as build up, I'd expect about a month of Spring Training to happen before Opening Day. Pitchers will basically be starting from scratch. They will need a lot of time.

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Sidearmer said:

Eh, I doubt that. Teams won't forget about it. Once Opening Day rolls around I think we will get back to actual baseball stories. The added Spring Training will be the time to discuss the virus while there are games.

As far as build up, I'd expect about a month of Spring Training to happen before Opening Day. Pitchers will basically be starting from scratch. They will need a lot of time.

why are pitchers on their own right now not throwing. there is no reason they aren't pitching just the same right now with a catcher through 100ish pitches like a simulated game, so that once a spring training starts it could be 2 weeks or even 1 week. it would be like a player after being injured and only playing a handful of rehab games.

Edited by SpecialFNK

1 minute ago, SpecialFNK said:

why are pitchers on their own right now not throwing. there is no reason they aren't pitching just the same right now with a catcher through 100ish pitches like a simulated game, so that once a spring training starts it could be 2 weeks or even 1 week. it would be like a player after being injured and only playing a handful of rehab games.

Think about it. Why would any pitcher be risking injury throwing meaningless pitches. The season might be delayed 2-3 months or cancelled. No one in their right mind would be wasting bullets. What if the season is extended a month? Then you just wasted bullets and now will be overworked for the extra month.

There's simply no reason for any pitcher to be doing anything more than soft tossing until there is a definitive plan for the season.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, SpecialFNK said:

that MLB is actually talking about the possibility of the entire season being cancelled is mind boggling. I don't want to be insensitive, but I want baseball. I don't even really care if it's teams playing in front of completely empty stadiums, I want baseball this summer. I refuse to believe this will continue like this through July. how can they say will still be like this after all of April, all of May, and even all of June.

They aren't even edging towards cancelling it yet, look at the article I posted above. The Mlb and MLBPA are close to an agreement in extending the season into november to potentially give us as much baseball as possible.

1 hour ago, Sidearmer said:

They already had about a month (pitchers that is) so no there will not be ANOTHER month of "spring training" if the season even starts.  Pitchers are probably playing catch in their own at home to keep their arms stretched some. 

Both MLB and the Players Association want games that count.  To a season.  And to their paychecks.  A week or two of stretching should be more than enough. 

If pitchers aren't 100% ready they can use the "openers" scenario and the starters just pitch three or four innings following the openers at first.  I'm sure they would come up a plan to add a few extra slots to active rosters more than the current 26 so they can go to six man rotations and have extra bullpen depth since they are talking about added double headers and doing away with some off (travel) days.  Every team is in the same boat so it all remains an even playing field if they start the season without endless silly spring training stuff.

2 hours ago, SpecialFNK said:

Well, we know Syndergaard was throwing like it was a September playoff run. 😄