meh2

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Baseball Impact

Its time to call it a season.  Its not going to happen.  Too many egos 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, SuperJoint said:

I think that's a little harsh. His job is to facilitate a deal. Considering what's at stake both sides are willing to tank an entire season. That's a tough choice to make and I'm not sure what he's going to say to change anyone's mind if they're so bent on self-destruction.

Just super pissed I guess. I don't see how the owners feel that bagging this season will be good for the long term? IMHO - Manfred needs to get this diverse group of billionaires to understand that and make this work. Otherwise we come back in 2021 and attempt to play a normal season.  BUT in the back of all our minds is the upcoming CBA negotiation. If they couldn't make this season work , when we all NEED some normalcy, what will that fiasco look like? Why even get interested again as a baseball fan when this is likely to happen again in 1 year? Screw them - other sports will play this season in some fashion. I'll spend my $$$ and energy there. 

• Like 2

Just now, Crusaderfan said:

Just super pissed I guess. I don't see how the owners feel that bagging this season will be good for the long term? IMHO - Manfred needs to get this diverse group of billionaires to understand that and make this work. Otherwise we come back in 2021 and attempt to play a normal season.  BUT in the back of all our minds is the upcoming CBA negotiation. If they couldn't make this season work , when we all NEED some normalcy, what will that fiasco look like? Why even get interested again as a baseball fan when this is likely to happen again in 1 year? Screw them - other sports will play this season in some fashion. I'll spend my $$$ and energy there. 

Yep - can't disagree. 

Boy the fans and sports talk shows are really turning on the players as well they should be.  Meanwhile like others mentioned about the season  maybe not happening at all:

MLB commissioner Rob Manfred told ESPN on Monday that he is "not confident" there will be a 2020 baseball season.

MLB commissioner Rob Manfred told ESPN on Monday that he is "not confident" there will be a 2020 baseball season.

Manfred said less than a week ago, during ESPN's live coverage of the 2020 MLB Draft, that he was "100 percent" certain baseball would be played this year, but negotiations between the owners and the union have apparently broken down completely in the days since. "It's just a disaster for our game, absolutely no question about it," Manfred told ESPN's Mike Greenberg on Monday. "It shouldn't be happening, and it's important that we find a way to get past it and get the game back on the field for the benefit of our fans ... I'm not confident. I think there's real risk; and as long as there's no dialogue, that real risk is gonna continue." Bill Shaikin of the Los Angeles Times adds that MLB sent a letter to the MLBPA on Monday stating that there would be no 2020 season unless the players waive "any legal claims against the league." Specifically, the owners are worried about the union filing an immediate grievance should Manfred implement a schedule of around 50-60 games when there is still time to fit in 70-80 games. Maybe these most recent comments from Manfred are meant to serve as a delay tactic. Whatever the case, this whole thing is a mess for the sport.

Source: ESPN.com                                  Jun 15, 2020, 4:55 PM ET

And the players still not looking good with their rep attacking him for being a realist:

MLBPA executive director Tony Clark released a statement Monday condemning the recent suggestion by MLB commissioner Rob Manfred that there might not be a 2020 baseball season.

The full statement, via the MLBPA's Twitter account: "Players are disgusted that after Rob Manfred unequivocally told players and fans that there would be '100%' a 2020 season, he has decided to go back on his word and is now threatening to cancel the entire season. Any implication that the Players Association has somehow delayed progress on health and safety protocols is completely false, as Rob has recently acknowledged the parties are 'very, very close.' This latest threat is just one more indication that Major League Baseball has been negotiating in bad faith since the beginning. This has always been about extracting additional pay cuts from the players and this is just another day and another bad faith tactic in their ongoing campaign.”

Source: MLBPA Communications on Twitter                       Jun 15, 2020, 6:43 PM ET

Congratulations, players, for destroying your own livelihood.  Because like one sports talk show said today it took steroid homers to save the fallout from the strike year but homers are a dime a dozen now so there really isn't much left to win the fans back after this debacle.  Meanwhile the players in the other major sports so far have shown they are willing to make concessions.  But oh no.  Not The Blake Snell Brigade.  The threat to go to court to sue MLB if the commish declares a season -- which the Players Association asked him to do btw --  is about the last straw for me.  Let's play Lawyerball everybody!

Oh well there once was a grand old game called baseball it was was wonderful while it lasted.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, Crusaderfan said:

Once again baseball pisses on it's own shoes. They never get it right, never. Manfred should join the long line of the currently unemployed tomorrow morning. He $h*t the bed on this one. 🤬🤬🤬

I think both Clark and Manfred need to be fired by the players and owners respectively.  Find a rep. for both sides that can stop the nonsense and strike a deal.

• Like 1

Another in the list of teetering businesses pushed into extinction by the economic circumstances surrounding the virus.

• Like 1

Cue "When It's Over" by Sugar Ray. It's a shame what's transpired since the COVID shutdown. Trevor Bauer pointed it out beautifully and he'll get ignored in favor of a 50 game season. Players will sit out in protest come season start/playoff time? Lost season.

I think it was always gonna be a lost season, players were gonna test positive and some prob already have. Hotspots are still possibly flaring and a second wave looks to be on the horizon too. I guess as much as baseball would be nice, I can see why the owners (and they are in control here) would not want a season. Play maybe a third of the season and then players like Betts, Bauer etc would be able to walk next year (service time rolls on everyone)...along with getting no gate, parking and concession income too. Players should have had some introspection, regardless what they thought they agreed to regarding pro-rata. The owners were never gonna show their math, why would they? They know a new CBA is coming shortly. I always back players grabbing as much cash as they can, but this is a business--no matter how us average fans feel about it.

• Like 2

Looks like they’re quickly pivoting to divulging that some players and staff have tested positive. Guessing the whole thing gets framed as unsafe and the season is cancelled. We all know the real story, obviously.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Boy the fans and sports talk shows are really turning on the players as well they should be.  Meanwhile like others mentioned about the season  maybe not happening at all:

And the players still not looking good with their rep attacking him for being a realist:

Congratulations, players, for destroying your own livelihood.  Because like one sports talk show said today it took steroid homers to save the fallout from the strike year but homers are a dime a dozen now so there really isn't much left to win the fans back after this debacle.  Meanwhile the players in the other major sports so far have shown they are willing to make concessions.  But oh no.  Not The Blake Snell Brigade.  The threat to go to court to sue MLB if the commish declares a season -- which the Players Association asked him to do btw --  is about the last straw for me.  Let's play Lawyerball everybody!

Oh well there once was a grand old game called baseball it was was wonderful while it lasted.

I do not think this year is going to matter in any respect, no matter what happens.  The virus has ruined everything for a lot of people.  The baseball season going down with it is not going to have any real long term effect imo.  Some bad PR will be forgotten come March 2021 by and large.  After 2021, that is another matter.  The 2 sides seem extremely hostile towards each other and if they can't even come to some sort of reasonable compromise on this to save 1/3 or 1/2 of their season in both their mutual interests and rather get nothing to spite the other side, well then 2021 is going to be nuclear warfare imo most likely leading to a lockout.

The player's position is just ridiculous on all levels imo.  They refuse to budge on salary...they insist on dictating or influencing the number of games...they insist on lawyering up if they don't get their way...and then there are the virus issues.  And the players thinking the owners are going to open their books prior to 2021 so it can be used against them in 2021 are just delusional in that respect imo.  Really, the players need to get a grip on reality and realize they are not franchise owners and banking 30% on 50 games vs 50% for 80 games is a lot better than 0% for 0 games.  It is not hard math.

The owners, at least publicly seem to appear more reasonable, but who knows what their books are and at what point they would still be profitable.  They obviously want around 50 games and are playing stalling tactics now imo.  Maybe they don't want to play at all because of the virus and liability issues and are using the MLBPA's intransigence against them for PR purposes, but I would think there is enough money on the Playoff TV side to make a minimal season at least marginally profitable enough to them.

Edited by secretagentman
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Manfred and the owners can make the players play a 48 game schedule or so,  or he can cancel the season.  He keeps saying he is not confident there will be a season.  He said the players want a schedule ASAP so they can file a grievance which he calls an act of bad faith.

Why would he be worried about a grievance if he's being honest and straight forward.  He doesn't sound optimistic about prevailing should a grievance get filed.  I feel like he will impose some type of schedule because of the amount of money at stake for post season play to the owners is significant.

I know the Wilpons are desperate for revenue as they attempt to sell the team during the worst possible situation.  There was a tweet earlier today saying they will stop pumping money into the team next year if they cannot find a buyer.  F#cking Wilpons continue to haunt this team.

Although a business owner shouldn't be forced to lose more money than necessary because of a pandemic,  MLB with their Billionaire owners could see the benefit long term of taking a bigger loss by providing more money to players THIS particular season.  Maybe consider more wages THIS particular season as an investment rather than  a BIG or BIGGER loss. 

That said,  less revenue going forward due to any backlash by fans is going to hurt players much more than owners. Unfortunate for players.... Should expect Billionaires to leverage their wealth and power to their advantage ALWAYS. 

Don't blame the players for taking a stand, but worry it's not going to work out in their favor no matter what. 

If they cancel this season I hope the use the hiatus to be more honest with each other and try and build up more trust.  Owners share financial information, league works to create revenue share and a salary cap.

This is going to have a negative effect.  But this level of toxicity will really kill the game if there's a strike in 2021-22.

2 minutes ago, JE7HorseGod said:

If they cancel this season I hope the use the hiatus to be more honest with each other and try and build up more trust.  Owners share financial information, league works to create revenue share and a salary cap.

This is going to have a negative effect.  But this level of toxicity will really kill the game if there's a strike in 2021-22.

Yeah the player - owner relationship is more toxic than Britney Spears and K-Fed's.

(That's still topical, right?)

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, duke of queens said:

Wow what a coincidence

That sound you hear is the final nail in the coffin. Time to put the season to rest.

5 minutes ago, duke of queens said:

Wow what a coincidence

It's amazing how this was just brought up today in concert with Manfred's retraction of his "100%" and the players suggesting the will file a grievance.

I'm sure this is all unrelated and above board.  Health is paramount, and if we wait another couple weeks...

1 hour ago, secretagentman said:

The player's position is just ridiculous on all levels imo.  They refuse to budge on salary...they insist on dictating or influencing the number of games...they insist on lawyering up if they don't get their way...and then there are the virus issues.  And the players thinking the owners are going to open their books prior to 2021 so it can be used against them in 2021 are just delusional in that respect imo.  Really, the players need to get a grip on reality and realize they are not franchise owners and banking 30% on 50 games vs 50% for 80 games is a lot better than 0% for 0 games.  It is not hard math.

Yup the players are 100% in the wrong here, they have made themselves look ridiculous.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

so long MLB, maybe the NFL will have its act together and I will watch it, one thing I have learned, I dont need sports, I dont need to spend a dime on them anymore

• Like 1

There will be MLB 100% Manfred already said so himself. The latest statement on Manfred uncertain about a season is just posturing/stalling 100%.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Brooklyn Dude said:

Why would he be worried about a grievance if he's being honest and straight forward.  He doesn't sound optimistic about prevailing should a grievance get filed.  I feel like he will impose some type of schedule because of the amount of money at stake for post season play to the owners is significant.

Please...an arbiter will decide and like any human, they can be biased one way or the other or simply make an erroneous decision based on a bunch of misinterpreted facts presented and the legal terms of the agreement and shady lawyers arguing each side.  It is like being sued and in this case the owners would have everything to lose and nothing to gain as they would be the defendants.  No business owner wants to deal with that if it can be avoided.  And as is the case with most issues this complex, things are not clear cut and both sides are likely not being fully transparent.

Edited by secretagentman

7 hours ago, sjs1890 said:

There will be MLB 100% Manfred already said so himself. The latest statement on Manfred uncertain about a season is just posturing/stalling 100%.

Umm they need Spring training man. The more they wait the more its not likely to happen 

• Like 1