meh2

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Baseball Impact

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, JE7HorseGod said:

That's your opinion, and I do.

Because, big picture, I think it's better for everyone if your employer treats your health legitimately and not a point to be scored in an attempt to renegotiate your contract.

I don't want to work for someone like that and I don't think these players do either.

Who do you work for then who is all that good?  Because I know of no owner of any business in America that wouldn't have that pov.  Certainly no one I ever worked for.  Maybe in Utopia but since Utopia mean nowhere, not likely.

And yes I would love to live in Utopia.  But I don't.  I live in a country that states it's "American dream" is to get as rich as you can; not be just or loving to one another.  Until the hearts of men and women change this isn't gonna happen and owners of any and all business concerns will act like they always acted.  So you have to deal with reality; not rainbows. 

The Players Association should come down to earth and get what they can and move on with the season.  Not hold out threatening billion dollar lawsuits that will be thrown out eventually but not after delaying things for months and canceling the season.  Basically that threat by them says they are the ones that don't want to play this season and in so doing they lose any remaining good will from the fans.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, The Big Bat Theory said:

Who do you work for then who is all that good?  Because I know of no owner of any business in America that wouldn't have that pov.  Certainly no one I ever worked for.  Maybe in Utopia but since Utopia mean nowhere, not likely.

Not to get too personal, but yeah, I can honestly say the company I work for has my back.  They've had a business continuity plan with enough cash on hand to not have to renegotiate terms with any employees, enabled us all to work from home for months, taken care of us with floating holidays, 40 hours of additional sick time, etc.

They're out there.  So bringing it back to the subject at hand, I don't buy that MLB teams, which in some instances have a much greater market value, need to take the posture they've taken.

There have been some actions the players have taken that I don't agree with, or at least could have been handled better.  But from my view point, so have the owners, and since it's their ballfield I kinda feel like the onus is on them to at least extend an olive branch where that might be possible, as opposed to coming right out of the hiatus swinging with the revenue share idea, for instance.

I am not sure how anyone can side with owners after the players said let's start the season and the owners balked. Why don't the owners want to start? Because their number is in the 50-60 game range for "profitability" and that doesn't fit into the good faith negotiations of playing as many games as you can if they agree to start this early. So what do they do, throw out a delay tactic in saying there are positive Covid tests. They know the players would win the grievance so now we are back to square one. Just tack on $1 to every beer, soda and hot dog next year and be done with it. This is getting tiresome. 

21 minutes ago, JE7HorseGod said:

Not to get too personal, but yeah, I can honestly say the company I work for has my back.  They've had a business continuity plan with enough cash on hand to not have to renegotiate terms with any employees, enabled us all to work from home for months, taken care of us with floating holidays, 40 hours of additional sick time, etc.

Then congratulations.  You are the one worker that is the exception to the rule.  The lucky one in a million.  The rest of the 99% of us?  Not so much.  But I guess that is why you are so idealist and I'm so realistic.  Glad you caught a good job. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Then congratulations.  You are the one worker that is the exception to the rule.  The lucky one in a million.  The rest of the 99% of us?  Not so much.  But I guess that is why you are so idealist and I'm so realistic.  Glad you caught a good job. 

Thanks, but I don't believe it's as rare as you might think.

Google gave all of their employees a $1,000 work from home stipend to set up their home offices for instance.  Here are some other examples- https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.forbes.com/sites/jasonwingard/2020/03/27/do-the-right-thing-3-companies-showing-exemplary-leadership-during-the-pandemic/amp/ these companies have a significantly larger payroll than does the MLB.

Baseball teams have terrific market value, and (though the owners may not admit it sometimes) have an opportunity to be a real revenue generator.  That revenue is created almost exclusively by world class athletes.  The owners do the job of marketing them well, but at the end of the day this is an extremely rare talent set, and they should be rewarded commensurately.

I don't accept that companies need to screw their employees over because that's the way it is.  I don't think anyone should.  If you do a good job you deserve to work for a company that looks out for you.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, JE7HorseGod said:

They're out there.  So bringing it back to the subject at hand, I don't buy that MLB teams, which in some instances have a much greater market value, need to take the posture they've taken.

There have been some actions the players have taken that I don't agree with, or at least could have been handled better.  But from my view point, so have the owners, and since it's their ballfield I kinda feel like the onus is on them to at least extend an olive branch where that might be possible, as opposed to coming right out of the hiatus swinging with the revenue share idea, for instance.

I sure hope you know that is NOT the norm for every business. 

• Like 1

Just now, shakestreet said:

I sure hope you know that is NOT the norm for every business. 

Every?  No.

I get that there are companies thar are smaller and don't have much cash on hand.  And there are some corporations that stick it to people even if they do.  There are some bad employers just like there are some bad employees.

But this attitude that you just lay down and die because boss man tells you to doesn't work for me.  It's unAmerican.

1 minute ago, JE7HorseGod said:

I don't accept that companies need to screw their employees over because that's the way it is.  I don't think anyone should.  If you do a good job you deserve to work for a company that looks out for you.

Except that America runs on capitalism, always has. Owners have every right to exercise all the leverage they have earned, this is America you know right? On the other hand it’s more annoying hearing the players cry about millions when they play a kids game. They throw and hit a ball for a living, the definition of a non essential business. F the players they are way over paid anyways for playing a game with a ball. We don’t need them, there will always be more players that want to play ball.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, JE7HorseGod said:

Google gave all of their employees a $1,000 work from home stipend to set up their home offices for instance.  Here are some other examples- https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.forbes.com/sites/jasonwingard/2020/03/27/do-the-right-thing-3-companies-showing-exemplary-leadership-during-the-pandemic/amp/ these companies have a significantly larger payroll than does the MLB.

Baseball teams have terrific market value, and (though the owners may not admit it sometimes) have an opportunity to be a real revenue generator.  That revenue is created almost exclusively by world class athletes.  The owners do the job of marketing them well, but at the end of the day this is an extremely rare talent set, and they should be rewarded commensurately.

Amazon, Target & CVS? Those three companies that Forbes mention you have to assume 75% are making minimum wage. Kinda makes zero sense 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sjs1890 said:

The players are just pawns they should just shut up and go out and swing their bats and throw their pitches already. Especially when the owners have every bit of the leverage. During a nationwide pandemic and the players are crying for additional millions when they play just a kids game and not one bit an essential business, just ungrateful pos’s while there are millions unemployed.

The Reserve Clause called,  they want you to call them back

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, shakestreet said:

Amazon, Target & CVS? Those three companies that Forbes mention you have to assume 75% are making minimum wage. Kinda makes zero sense 

They literally have tens of 1000s more employees than the MLB.  Their payroll is exponentially larger.

They're doing well, but they got there in part by being a great place to work for.  A smart employer recognizes that their employees are their most valuable resource.  A bad employer looks to their payroll as the first way to reduce costs.

Edited by JE7HorseGod
  • Like 3

Do all of you owner apologists work for a company that gets monopoly protection,  and was the building you work in paid for by tax payers as well? 

Owners owe the American people a product.  Maybe it's time the federal govt reminded them of that.  

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, WahooManiac said:

Do all of you owner apologists work for a company that gets monopoly protection,  and was the building you work in paid for by tax payers as well? 

Owners owe the American people a product.  Maybe it's time the federal govt reminded them of that.  

Except that the players play a child’s game while the owners are taking all the risk. It’s safe to say you don’t run a business.

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, sjs1890 said:

Except that the players play a child’s game while the owners are taking all the risk. It’s safe to say you don’t run a business.

You can repeat this all you want,  the only real risk they take is getting enough money to get in.  So much risk,  gates so important... yet the same teams never fill seats and the worst team in the league sells for a bagillion. Oh, the risk these heroes take on. 🙄

Edited by WahooManiac
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, WahooManiac said:

You can repeat this all you want,  the only real risk they take is getting enough money to get in.  So much risk,  gates so important... yet the same teams never fill seats and the worst team in the league sells for a bagillion. Oh, the risk these heroes take on. 🙄

Lol the player apologists are the ones regurgitating the same talking points over and over yet they forget we live in America the land of capitalism.

• Haha 2

Owners do have the right to run their companies any way they choose, but every choice comes with a cost.  Hate the players all you want for them asking the owners to abide by their agreement to pay them what they agreed upon, and go watch little league, High school or College ball, there's no denying that they are enjoyable to watch, oh, wait, there are no other options this year..they cut off the hands that feed them, the players ARE the product, the best of the best, they put the fans in the seats, so they can buy the jerseys, hats, hot dogs, beer, ice cream for their kids, and all the other concessions that are offered, which in turn, puts money in the owners' pockets so they can afford to run, or own their teams..Without that top tier product, what's left?  I mean, you can replace them with minor replacements, but that product isn't the same, then it becomes just a game that you can watch almost anywhere, a lesser product = less fans in the seats = less revenues for the owners.. or, no season = no revenues, for either side, but the players asked: when and where? so we can start, now covid rears its' ugly head once again, so now, we're all out of luck.

• Like 6

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, sjs1890 said:

Lol the player apologists are the ones regurgitating the same talking points over and over yet they forget we live in America the land of capitalism.

No one's forgetting it. We just actually understand what it means,  and how normal business rules don't completely apply here. 

If the federal govt decided to threaten to review the monopoly provisions,  we'd have a season yesterday.  You love the guys with leverage,  well the good ole American people have some.  If they chose to use it.  

See, capitalism does come with rules.  Even the great Adam Smith knew some were necessary.  How you can criticize players for playing a childs game,  while not criticizing the owners for owning a childs game? 

And who cares,  children's games make money.  It's a business product.  Capitalism right? 

Edited by WahooManiac
  • Like 4

On 5/22/2020 at 12:58 AM, sjs1890 said:

America runs on capitalism and the owners hold the trump card.

On 6/15/2020 at 2:23 PM, sjs1890 said:

hey play a kids game throwing and hitting a ball

5 hours ago, sjs1890 said:

the players are crying for additional millions when they play just a kids game

2 hours ago, sjs1890 said:

America runs on capitalism, always has. Owners have every right to exercise all the leverage they have earned, this is America you know right? On the other hand it’s more annoying hearing the players cry about millions when they play a kids game.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 5

6 hours ago, sjs1890 said:

The players are just pawns they should just shut up and go out and swing their bats and throw their pitches already. Especially when the owners have every bit of the leverage. During a nationwide pandemic and the players are crying for additional millions when they play just a kids game and not one bit an essential business, just ungrateful pos’s while there are millions unemployed.

maybe those “millions” could make themselves worthwhile so they wouldn’t be unemployed. Blame them. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sjs1890 said:

Except that America runs on capitalism, always has. Owners have every right to exercise all the leverage they have earned, this is America you know right? On the other hand it’s more annoying hearing the players cry about millions when they play a kids game. They throw and hit a ball for a living, the definition of a non essential business. F the players they are way over paid anyways for playing a game with a ball. We don’t need them, there will always be more players that want to play ball.

wrong, without the Mike Trouts and Christian Yelichs there is no baseball. You don’t watch mediocre teams and lousy starters. 

• Like 1

I’m over the owners and players. My new villain is Manfred, who’s never had control of this and now appears totally weak and unwilling to just declare a season and get things moving. Going from guaranteeing a season to being “not confident” in 72 hours is baffling and flares an already-untenable situation. This dude sucks and needs to go.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, TribeFoo said:

I’m over the owners and players. My new villain is Manfred, who’s never had control of this and now appears totally weak and unwilling to just declare a season and get things moving. Going from guaranteeing a season to being “not confident” in 72 hours is baffling and flares an already-untenable situation. This dude sucks and needs to go.

I think we've seen this with other commissioners in other leagues, but it seems like especially with the newer ones sometimes they fall into this trap that they have to be the fall guy for ownership, and then the good ones develop some sort of sense of autonomy.  Like David Stern for instance in the NBA.

I dunno if Manfred has that kind of character.  It's not looking good for him so far.  The "piece of metal" thing and now the way he's handled this, IMO, has been bad.

But I don't sign his checks.

3 minutes ago, TribeFoo said:

Manfred is basically the voice of the owners. He goes as they go. With how strong the players union has become that's what the commissioners job has evolved into. 

• Like 1

Manfred is trash. Juiced balls, Astros light punishment, 2020 and surely to be the 2021 lockout. Great job Rob!

4 hours ago, JE7HorseGod said:

My company has been amazing as well thru all this nonsense...just saying

• Like 1