meh2

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Baseball Impact

Recommended Posts

7 minutes ago, duke of queens said:

Manfred is basically the voice of the owners. He goes as they go. With how strong the players union has become that's what the commissioners job has evolved into. 


last ditch effort to posture and appease the owners w his latest statement...all it is. I do believe he will call a 50 game season very soon...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Whitecloud0101 said:

My company has been amazing as well thru all this nonsense...just saying

Cheers to the good employers out there. 

People are going to remember how you treat your employees through all of this, for good and for bad.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Whitecloud0101 said:


last ditch effort to posture and appease the owners w his latest statement...all it is. I do believe he will call a 50 game season very soon...

Now that Fauci came out and said they should not play in October your prob right. Will help their case if their is a grievance filed. Again very coincidental. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Supposedly as many as 8 owners voting in favor of season cancellation now.

Players union has done a good job playing hardball (no sarcasm) but they really need to pivot back to a more conciliatory stance if they want to be realistic. 

Will probably take a few more days of tweeting about how they are ready and just want to know when and where before they get it out of their system and pick up the phone...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, sjs1890 said:

Except that the players play a child’s game while the owners are taking all the risk. It’s safe to say you don’t run a business.

Bull**** on the risk angle. Every single baseball team is profitable. The jumps in team value over the last decade and a half is absurdly huge.

 

if you have the money to own a team, it is a slam dunk investment. Read this article .

 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2020/06/15/dont-let-mlb-owners-cry-poor-they-can-afford-do-whats-right-baseball/

 

And as for risk, the players are taking it all on during this season. They are the ones taking the risk of possibly contracting COVID-19. They are the ones that would have to quarantine and be away from their families to play the game. The owners aren’t taking those kind of risks. And then the owners and MLB want these players to sign off on waivers that won’t protect them if they contract the disease. But you can bet your a** it would be used against them by the same owners in later contract negotiations. 

Edited by tonycpsu
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And agreed wholeheartedly with whomever brought up the stadium idea on the previous page. Comparing baseball ownership to other businesses is a joke. Tax payer funded stadiums, and  a complete monopoly. No other businesses get their headquarters or offices paid for by the tax payers, or have literally no competition out there. 
 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, GC Tacos said:

wrong, without the Mike Trouts and Christian Yelichs there is no baseball. You don’t watch mediocre teams and lousy starters. 

Both were on DL last year.

Baseball went on.

Rockies were 6th in attendance.

Nats who won it all 16th.

SF, SD, both had more people watching.

Don't hate on lousy starters.

Where else in America, can you have a 6.40 era, and a -.07 WAR, and get paid 25 million? Felix

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, WaKe21334 said:

Bull**** on the risk angle. Every single baseball team is profitable. The jumps in team value over the last decade and a half is absurdly huge.

 

if you have the money to own a team, it is a slam dunk investment. Read this article .

 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2020/06/15/dont-let-mlb-owners-cry-poor-they-can-afford-do-whats-right-baseball/

 

And as for risk, the players are taking it all on during this season. They are the ones taking the risk of possibly contracting COVID-19. They are the ones that would have to quarantine and be away from their families to play the game. The owners aren’t taking those kind of risks. And then the owners and MLB want these players to sign off on waivers that won’t protect them if they contract the disease. But you can bet your a** it would be used against them by the same owners in later contract negotiations. 

Lol see more regurgitation of the same talking points over and over that the owners have so much money. I wont copy and paste every reply like the mod tonycpsu because his post was worthless. Who cares how much money the owners already have, they got their money by being savvy business man and not just giving it away for the "sake" of the game that will be fine regardless. Lol of course the owners want them to sign a waiver, the players are crying lawyer and that they will file a grievance. Its common sense to make the players sign a waiver which they probably will because they are going to file a grievance regardless. Players have minimal risk even if they contract covid-19 they are not 65+ which is the majority of casualties.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, GC Tacos said:

wrong, without the Mike Trouts and Christian Yelichs there is no baseball. You don’t watch mediocre teams and lousy starters. 

False baseball would be just fine without Trout or Yelich. Trout can barely speak in public the dude is so awkward, he aint no Derek Jeter when baseball had a true face of the sport.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, sjs1890 said:

Lol see more regurgitation of the same talking points over and over that the owners have so much money. I wont copy and paste every reply like the mod tonycpsu because his post was worthless. Who cares how much money the owners already have, they got their money by being savvy business man and not just giving it away for the "sake" of the game that will be fine regardless. Lol of course the owners want them to sign a waiver, the players are crying lawyer and that they will file a grievance. Its common sense to make the players sign a waiver which they probably will because they are going to file a grievance regardless. Players have minimal risk even if they contract covid-19 they are not 65+ which is the majority of casualties.

Yup, and no one forces them to play as they can opt out.  The whole concept that owners should lose money because they have plenty of it or that the players are the ones risking it, so the the owners should just do whatever the players dictate is ridiculous on the face of it imo.  People are in business to make money.  No one should expect any business owner to lose money because they want to see the product or think they should have some other higher calling nonsense. 

And the players have every right to not play if they think the risks are too great from the virus.  That is not going to change.  And expecting them to not sign a waiver so if they decide to take on that risk they can then sue the owners is also ridiculous.  Don't want the risk, don't play...that is their right.  You can't take the position I am willing to play and accept the risks but if I get sick then I am going to sue the owners.  It is a ridiculous position.

 

As it is, the season is likely lost as all this arguing of the virus and pay rates and games is just getting nowhere imo.

Edited by secretagentman
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Whitecloud0101 said:

My company has been amazing as well thru all this nonsense...just saying

Yeah well there are some 40+ million Americans that lost their job or were furloughed who might disagree with you.  And of the ones still employed, the overwhelming majority I would bet work for companies that could not care less about them when push comes to shove and would send their job to Asia if they thought they could.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, secretagentman said:

Yeah well there are some 40+ million Americans that lost their job or were furloughed who might disagree with you.  And of the ones still employed, the overwhelming majority I would bet work for companies that could not care less about them when push comes to shove and would send their job to Asia if they thought they could.

I would bet not, based on the 137 million that are still employed.

Just because some people worked for companies or some employees that work for companies that couldn't make it, either due to not having enough cash on hand or being mismanaged, I don't see why the argument is that businesses that can and still are profitable (like baseball) get to run roughshod over their employees with no questions asked.  To me it's not a debate of "we should all follow what companies are doing the worst and adjust accordingly" but "we should all aspire to work for places that are run the best."

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, WahooManiac said:

@secretagentman so you'd be cool with the American people removing monopoly protection for mlb then?  Banning the use of tax dollars to fund stadiums?  Im in,  let's make this a regular business

Yup...Let the market dictate.  They realistically are going to have no competition by the nature of the sport anyway because players need to go through the minors under contract and take years to develop.  Football has tried it in the past with the USFL and the XFL with no\very limited success.  Baseball would be even harder and they have 100+ years of tradition and numbers going for them. As to tax dollars for stadiums, that is not required by anyone.  Local cities fall over themselves to suck in teams just like states give prop tax exemptions to Amazon to build warehouses in their state, etc.  None of it is right imo, but it is not a call the feds can make.  If NY or Boston wants to pay to build a stadium for their team, so be it.  They can just as easily vote no on it.

That said, all monopolies and exemptions from fair competition or legal liability are generally bad news imo.  Even worse when you have huge tech companies exempt from liability or general competition as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

well damn .. 

 

https://sports.yahoo.com/at-least-six-owners-reportedly-dont-want-an-mlb-season-heres-why-that-could-be-a-big-problem-203659898.html
 

Major League Baseball’s 2020 season, it turns out, could hinge on just how many owners would rather play baseball than skip the season entirely.

At least six owners, according to SNY’s Andy Martino, would rather just cancel baseball in 2020 than play. While The Athletic’s Ken Rosenthal and Evan Drellich quoted an agent who said there are at least eight owners that would prefer not to play. And the difference in that number could be key.

As backward as it seems: Baseball team owners not wanting a baseball season could actually sink MLB in 2020.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

NBA has built the bubble town in Orlando that was deemed impossible by MLB fans, complete with a two month seeding playoff/process, contingency plans in case of stoppage, testing and public health addendum and shortened training camp.  They've even scheduled out which teams stay at which hotels.

NFL has already addressed contingency plans for how fanless games will effect budget and 2021 cap, including pulling from cash reserves to honor player contracts.

MLB?  We're haggling over 20% player salaries so we don't lose face for the 2021 strike and using the virus as a pretext. 

This league is so mismanaged.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wondering how many posters here that are on the owners side are fans of teams with good ownership and might be a little biased. I know I can never be on the side of ownership after enduringf the Wilponzi debacle. We talk about risk, how are they still owners after running the team so poorly and making so many bad financial decisions. Losses for years yet still getting bailed out by MLB. If this were a regular corp they would have been gone years ago.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, JE7HorseGod said:

NBA has built the bubble town in Orlando that was deemed impossible by MLB fans, complete with a two month seeding playoff/process, contingency plans in case of stoppage, testing and public health addendum and shortened training camp.  They've even scheduled out which teams stay at which hotels.

NFL has already addressed contingency plans for how fanless games will effect budget and 2021 cap, including pulling from cash reserves to honor player contracts.

MLB?  We're haggling over 20% player salaries so we don't lose face for the 2021 strike and using the virus as a pretext. 

This league is so mismanaged.

You must remember

NBA hasn’t played yet, it’s only talk. Some players are unhappy. Will this bubble town really come together? 
 

Again the NFL hasn’t even started training camp.
 

When those two sports starts then and only then we can call ****  ... and then we need to hope they finish ...

2 minutes ago, duke of queens said:

Wondering how many posters here that are on the owners side are fans of teams with good ownership and might be a little biased. I know I can never be on the side of ownership after enduringf the Wilponzi debacle. We talk about risk, how are they still owners after running the team so poorly and making so many bad financial decisions. Losses for years yet still getting bailed out by MLB. If this were a regular corp they would have been gone years ago.

Can I be Sweden? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, shakestreet said:

You must remember

NBA hasn’t played yet, it’s only talk. Some players are unhappy. Will this bubble town really come together? 
 

Again the NFL hasn’t even started training camp.
 

When those two sports starts then and only then we can call ****  ... and then we need to hope they finish ...

Things can always go wrong, but at least they have a plan that's well developed and has deadlines for implementation, as well as contingency plans in case things do go wrong.

You can see a clear path to the finish line where both leagues will have something very close to full seasons and championships.  MLB owners can't even agree if they want to play.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The NHL is the only one that's in Stage 3. Other sports are not there yet

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, urban2014 said:

The NHL is the only one that's in Stage 3. Other sports are not there yet

NHL also doesn't have a timeframe for when regular season opens like the NFL and NBA now do, but yeah they're going to be practicing July 10th.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, urban2014 said:

The NHL is the only one that's in Stage 3. Other sports are not there yet

Horse Racing is back and for some tracks never left. A jockey even tested positive and there was no shutdown. Just quarantine and he is already back.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, duke of queens said:

Horse Racing is back and for some tracks never left. A jockey even tested positive and there was no shutdown. Just quarantine and he is already back.

PGA Tour for golf came back last week.

I get that all sports have different public health challenges as a result of logistics.

But MLB issues with labor stoppage are not health related, it's all about the cash.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

[ More posts removed, and this thread (and the other one) are going to take a break for a while since many folks can't seem to stay focused on the baseball implications. ]

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.