Sign in to follow this  
ginocan

Yahoo! Official Statement Regarding NBA Suspended Games

Update on Yahoo Fantasy Basketball leagues following NBA suspending season amid coronavirus pandemic

Mar. 13, 2020 06:03 PM PDT

After reviewing all options for full-season fantasy basketball in the aftermath of the NBA suspending the 2019-20 season amid the coronavirus pandemic, here’s how we’re updating leagues while we wait for a definitive answer on when/if games are going to be played.

For Head-to-Head Leagues:

We’re extending the current game week (21 of the season) by 28 days, so the week goes from March 9 to April 12. All future game weeks have been extended by 28 days.

Roto/Points Leagues:

We’re extending all leagues by 28 days.

We appreciate your patience during this time, and we’ll continue to monitor the situation and provide updates as they become available.
—————————————————

Thoughts

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, ginocan said:

Roto Leagues:

We’re extending all leagues by 28 days.

I wonder will this clear whoever was in the +red games threshold. Probably ( and hopefully ) not and it'll carry over. Good stuff 👍

This is a pretty good solution.  I just hope there ends up being a long enough regular season for us to finish the FBB playoffs.  I would say that's unlikely though.  So the FBB champs will probably be crowned on shortened seasons games wise. 

Not sure how is it in individual commish leagues (Maybe each league have their own settings) but in Yahoo! Pro Leagues, since “week 21” is not going to end until the games resume, the moves per week limit is still in play. The default setting is 4 and it is good as someone might have used all their moves and it doesn’t reset since we are still weeks away. I was worried that they would reset it every Mondays that would have been a mess. 

Posted (edited)

Will any games actually be played before April 12th? 

If not I'm going to miss Playoffs by 1 game. Which would be lame because I probably would have made it had things been normal. I have a 3.5 game lead in the Playoff race but I got off to a bad start the last week so I'm currently down 2-7...

Where did they come up with April 12th? Why not adjust the schedule once it's announced when the next game will actually be?

Edited by mbell317
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, mbell317 said:

Will any games actually be played before April 12th? 

If not I'm going to miss Playoffs by 1 game. Which would be lame because I probably would have made it had things been normal. I have a 3.5 game lead in the Playoff race but I got off to a bad start the last week so I'm currently down 2-7...

Where did they come up with April 12th? Why not adjust the schedule once it's announced when the next game will actually be?

April 12th is the 30th day from the NBA suspension I believe. They will extend and won’t just end the “week” with no more games playing. That wouldn’t be right. 

I hope. 

There are 4 more Nets tested positive. There are no end in sight for the NBA to play to be honest. 

The mid-June to July rumor that I heard might be best case scenario AT BEST.

• Like 2

Hi guys, a couple questions for you.

Background: I am in a 10 team h2h private league, our playoffs were scheduled to start in Week 22 so our regular season had a few days left at time of suspension. I am tied for 1st but do mot have tie-break, however I was up 7-2 in my week 21 matchup while the team in 1st that owns the tie-break was  only winning 5-4 when play got suspended.

Questions:
If the season is cancelled...

1) is it more likely that Yahoo will

a) default to awarding the title to the team currently in first place; OR

b) default to awarding nobody the title? 

2) also, if Yahoo goes with (a) above and defaults to awarding the team in first place the title, how would you expect they would take into account the final matchup week? (Ie would the 7-2 unfinished matchup be added to my standings totals for purposes of determining a champion or no).

Thanks in advance everyone and god bless.

I’d punt. But if your a statistical guy I’d divide 1-a with b-2. Multiply that by the square root of don’t bother right now and you’ll get exactly where your still at. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Boss_Hog_23 said:

Hi guys, a couple questions for you.

Background: I am in a 10 team h2h private league, our playoffs were scheduled to start in Week 22 so our regular season had a few days left at time of suspension. I am tied for 1st but do mot have tie-break, however I was up 7-2 in my week 21 matchup while the team in 1st that owns the tie-break was  only winning 5-4 when play got suspended.

Questions:
If the season is cancelled...

1) is it more likely that Yahoo will

a) default to awarding the title to the team currently in first place; OR

b) default to awarding nobody the title? 

2) also, if Yahoo goes with (a) above and defaults to awarding the team in first place the title, how would you expect they would take into account the final matchup week? (Ie would the 7-2 unfinished matchup be added to my standings totals for purposes of determining a champion or no).

Thanks in advance everyone and god bless.

Honestly, nobody, not even Yahoo! knows what to do now. Actually, not even the NBA know what is going to happen or when it is going to happen with the rest of this season. Ultimately, nobody know what is going to happen to real world of sports let alone fantasy sports. 

Just relax for now, I am sure things will work out like it supposed to, eventually. 

Congrats on tying for 1st though. Hopefully you can have a chance to go for the ‘Ship. 

18 minutes ago, Bugs bunny said:

I’d punt. But if your a statistical guy I’d divide 1-a with b-2. Multiply that by the square root of don’t bother right now and you’ll get exactly where your still at. 

It’s week 21. The playoffs starting week 22. We are basically in the Redzone. Would takes really bad coaching to punt in the Redzone. Meaning the ball go out of the endzone and they will take it to the 25 yard line. I think our best play here is QB sneak for the TD. If we don’t make it, the ball stay at the 1. Our D will be happy about that. 

• Like 1

If the other team starts at the 25 yard line and tries a quarterback sneak and scores a touchdown - I would say you have a very bad defense. So whatever you do don't punt.

I expect that this thing is going to drag on longer than any of us hope. As a result, the end of the regular season is going to be VERY compressed or possibly even non-existent. That means we may be lucky to get 2 fantasy weeks out of it (if the end of the season were 6-8 games, for example) but I think it's more likely they just call the season as-is. It would be really, really weird to just have the top 2 teams square off when play resumes with all the uncertainty going on.

23 hours ago, markdash said:

I expect that this thing is going to drag on longer than any of us hope. As a result, the end of the regular season is going to be VERY compressed or possibly even non-existent. That means we may be lucky to get 2 fantasy weeks out of it (if the end of the season were 6-8 games, for example) but I think it's more likely they just call the season as-is. It would be really, really weird to just have the top 2 teams square off when play resumes with all the uncertainty going on.

Not sure why the nba wouldn't play max games and just give up all that money. They still need to pay players their money, so why just choose to not make millions upon millions of more $ and give up, vs just delay the season... they get no gain from cancelling the season but a ton of gain from continuing it. It makes no sense not to do it. Why give up money when you don't have to? Unless the gov't will bail out the NBA. 

19 minutes ago, johnval1362 said:

Not sure why the nba wouldn't play max games and just give up all that money. They still need to pay players their money, so why just choose to not make millions upon millions of more $ and give up, vs just delay the season... they get no gain from cancelling the season but a ton of gain from continuing it. It makes no sense not to do it. Why give up money when you don't have to? Unless the gov't will bail out the NBA. 

Because if you make up all the remaining games, and you don't start until June (just for argument's sake), you end up pushing the finals back to September, and the season typically starts in October. Players need a break and the league would probably prefer to keep the season opener as close to October as possible.

Also, more games = more contact = more exposure = more risk. Why play "meaningless" games that just increase everyone's chances of contracting the virus? There wouldn't even be fans in the stands, most likely, so the financial upside isn't there, either.

12 minutes ago, markdash said:

Because if you make up all the remaining games, and you don't start until June (just for argument's sake), you end up pushing the finals back to September, and the season typically starts in October. Players need a break and the league would probably prefer to keep the season opener as close to October as possible.

Also, more games = more contact = more exposure = more risk. Why play "meaningless" games that just increase everyone's chances of contracting the virus? There wouldn't even be fans in the stands, most likely, so the financial upside isn't there, either.

What does the league care about over working their overpaid players? If the season goes into October and they start in October then so be it. They got their rest right now, and losing teams will bench their stars. Even televising games without fans will bring them more money than not playing them at all. Even if they make $1 vs $0 it makes sense to continue season no matter what because they're paying their players. NBA is about money, not about injury management. Injury management is coaches/players/med staff decision. They can always start the NBA season late next year too. Considering you're more likely to kill yourself than die from corona I think it's a much shorter period of time than people are anticipating for public gatherings to become allowed again. Out of 7 billion this virus really isn't a big deal. The 1% already made their money by killing tons of small business, they already sold their stocks before the virus as they knew it would tank, and once the market and oil prices skyrocket again the money will be made and the media will stop pushing the virus on us, and people will forget it exists cuz the media stops talking about it. It is all a huge pile of BS. 

15 minutes ago, johnval1362 said:

overpaid players

15 minutes ago, johnval1362 said:

Out of 7 billion this virus really isn't a big deal.  

I'll be honest, you lost me with these.

I hope you are right but I am almost certain you are wrong about the latter point.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
54 minutes ago, markdash said:

I'll be honest, you lost me with these.

I hope you are right but I am almost certain you are wrong about the latter point.

About 9k have died from corona, about 50k kill themselves by choice every year, 4/5 men, and 50k die a year from the regular flu/pnemonia.

Rather than bailing everyone out with the 500 billion trump is proposing after shutting everyone down, they should have just used that money to make more hospitals, a need we have always had. Overfilled hospitals has been a problem, forever.. still not being addressed...

Also the extrapolations of data to represent how big of a deal this all is, is putting the non tested people like you and me (basically everyone) into healthy status vs potentially recovered. I felt kind of sick a few days ago, very minor but it was probably corona virus. Gone by the next morning. You don't hear Durant wood Mitchell Gobert complaining about it, because they're fine and don't want to be hated for saying they're "just a little sick". Yet undiagnosed slightly sick people who probably had it, and got over it, are not included in survival rate because they're not in critical enough condition to be hospitalized or to considered in their data sample. They are using data on the sample size of "tested individuals" vs "all individuals" and acting like they're equal, like anyone who gets corona, has a certain % chance of death... no, anyone who gets hospitalized, tested, and approved for Corona virus die that amount, and of the 1000s of people you know, how many are in the hospital right now cuz of corona? Id guess zero. Like me and every single person I've asked, no one knows a single case of anyone they know or anyone they know who knows anyone they know that got the virus. Do you? DOES ANYONE HERE? ANYONE KNOW A SINGLE PERSON IN CRITICAL CONDITION? 

The whole minor symptoms thing for tested individuals is BS because if you were hospitalized you didn't have minor symptoms, you had major symptoms or you wouldn't have step foot in a hospital, or you would have been turned down in the 1st place due to minor symptoms and lack of enough improtance to test you. The minor symptom people stayed home sick, yet they are seen as "not having the virus yet and soon to be infected", vs totally fine after potentially having it, which lowers the total death expectation considerably. You should be just as worried about the regular flu as this, and more worried about diabetes and killing yourself. 

Unless every single person is tested, the estimates are way wayyy off. It's an economic tank so the 1% can sell stocks high before, and buy now. If you're into stocks, trust me, about now or sometime in the very near future will be the time to buy, and make a fortune, assuming you sold low when you knew about the govt shutdown, which was obvious. Oil down, stocks down. Oil up, stocks up. Fluctuate oil prices and know when it's going to happen, money becomes a sure thing. 

Edited by johnval1362

4 hours ago, markdash said:

the league would probably prefer to keep the season opener as close to October as possible.

Not necessarily. This could be the opportunity to push the whole season to start later, not just this once, but from now on. The new season opener could happen on Dec 1, for example.

That said, it seems super-unlikely we will get more regular season games, even with a later start of next season. There just aren't enough days in the calendar. We could easily be in this current alert state for 2 months.

6 hours ago, johnval1362 said:

You should be just as worried about the regular flu as this, and more worried about diabetes and killing yourself.

I agree about the hospital issue being a problem before this and the death rate is off since we don’t know everyone that has/had it, but we do absolutely need to worry about this more than we do the flu or diabetes or suicide. All serious issues, but there are differences and this shouldn’t be taken lightly.

Why do you think is cases are exploding like they are in the U.S or like in Italy? It is more contagious than the flu - about twice as much. It takes longer for people to show symptoms than the flu. No vaccine obviously and the death rate is higher especially among older people. (All flu cases aren’t documented either btw).

Yes people do die from the flu or diabetes or suicide each year and people should take that more serious than they do. But please take this even more serious right now because it is.

And btw - I live in Maryland. Someone was diagnosed with Corona where I work and they closed the office. I have been working from home all week and will be doing so for awhile I suspect. So yes, it is out there.

Posted (edited)
On 3/19/2020 at 6:12 PM, Tekno Team 2000 said:

I agree about the hospital issue being a problem before this and the death rate is off since we don’t know everyone that has/had it, but we do absolutely need to worry about this more than we do the flu or diabetes or suicide. All serious issues, but there are differences and this shouldn’t be taken lightly.

Why do you think is cases are exploding like they are in the U.S or like in Italy? It is more contagious than the flu - about twice as much. It takes longer for people to show symptoms than the flu. No vaccine obviously and the death rate is higher especially among older people. (All flu cases aren’t documented either btw).

Yes people do die from the flu or diabetes or suicide each year and people should take that more serious than they do. But please take this even more serious right now because it is.

And btw - I live in Maryland. Someone was diagnosed with Corona where I work and they closed the office. I have been working from home all week and will be doing so for awhile I suspect. So yes, it is out there.

So far 200ish people have died in the US. Not saying it won't increase but that's a very very tiny amount of people out of the hundreds of millions here. Not worth putting millions out of job's and running fringe successful small business owners to the ground. 

200 people probably get hit by a piano every year, as well as get their wallets stolen by leprichons. Even the 4k in italy isn't that much for a gov't shut down. 

Edited by johnval1362

Posted (edited)
55 minutes ago, johnval1362 said:

So far 200ish people have died in the US. Not saying it won't increase but that's a very very tiny amount of people out of the hundreds of millions here. Not worth putting millions out of job's and running fringe successful small business owners to the ground. 

200 people probably get hit by a piano every year, as well as get their wallets stolen by leprichons. Even the 4k in italy isn't that much for a gov't shut down. 

That is because it is just getting started.

There will be estimated 25.5 million of people going to be positive for this virus by May of this year...in California ALONE. Source? The Governor said so himself. 

Right now the US death rate is 1%. And that means there will be 255,000 people die in California ALONE. 

I am not too good at math so I’ll let you figure out whether it is a big number or not. And how that will translate into national wide impact. 

WHO declared a pandemic. POTUS declared a national emergency. But yet people still think they are overreacting and question their authority.

I’m not saying go out and panic buy all the goods, or go hoard a bunch of toilet paper and water bottles. Those people are idiots. And if you are doing that, yeah I’m calling you an idiot. 

But wake up people! To think this is not serious or people are overreacting is just irresponsible. This type of mindset is the very reason why young generation of people are endangering other people. I am sure that I will be able to survive this virus but I don’t want to catch it and spread it to people that I interact with and somehow be responsible for putting someone in the hospital or god forbid...kill them. That is just selfish and irresponsible. 

I am not here to educate, give my opinion on politics, or trying to change anyone of their opinion about anything. I’m probably the most unqualified and one of the lowest IQs people here. But to see this type of attitude toward something that could wipe out hundred of thousands if not millions of people, it just pains me. 

I won’t be involving in any further discussions about this. I am sure you will want to continue speaking your mind and respond to this post. And I will respectfully read them. 

I apologize for stepping in when you were not even quoting me. Be safe out there people, and remember now more than ever we need to come together (not literally, 6 feet away from me people!) and fight this invisible enemy. 

Edited by ginocan
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, johnval1362 said:

Is sad some clowns STILL don't get it.

• Like 2