FlashGordon401

Devonta Freeman 2020 Outlook

I really don’t think it makes any sense for the Giants to sign him.

This is clearly a lost season, even with Saquon this team has gotten exponentially worse with every passing season. And now they at least have an opportunity to both evaluate Wayne Gallman (whose rookie contract I believe is up after this year) and to see how Daniel Jones performs without the luxury of his stud running back.

All that being said, Dave Gettlemen is still one of the most stubborn general manager’s in the league, and with him on the hot seat, I can definitely see him signing Freeman both as a last ditch effort to save his job and as a way to possibly screw the next GM out of the #1 overall pick. 

Edited by JDE
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, JDE said:

This is clearly a lost season, even with Saquon this team has gotten exponentially worse with every passing season. And now they at least have an opportunity to both evaluate Wayne Gallman (whose rookie contract I believe is up after this year) and to see how Daniel Jones performs without the luxury of his stud running back.

All that being said, Dave Gettlemen is still one of the most stubborn general manager’s in the league, and with him on the hot seat, I can definitely see him signing Freeman both as a last ditch effort to save his job and as a way to possibly screw the next GM out of the #1 overall pick. 

Giants are 0-2. However there is still a great chance to make the playoffs in the NFC East. Those odds drop with Gallman and Lewis

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JDE said:

0-2 is a little early to call it a lost season. Especially when they were very close to pulling out the win on Sunday. Also, playoffs were expanded to 14 teams.

22 minutes ago, c_dilip said:

If he signs with the Giants absolutely yes

No I mean doesn't he have to wait some period of time due to Covid testing because he was not on a roster. 

2 minutes ago, Deke said:

0-2 is a little early to call it a lost season. Especially when they were very close to pulling out the win on Sunday. Also, playoffs were expanded to 14 teams.

Granted they did face two teams with strong defensive lines, but they really just looked abysmal out there, and their schedule doesn’t exactly soften up.

I think they could beat the Eagles twice, Bengals, maybe split the series against Dallas/Washington, and possibly the Browns (although they looked pretty good on TNF), so that’s about 6 games that I’d consider winnable for them.

I know it’s very early in the year, but from watching them it really feels like the same crappy team it’s been for several years now. Plugging in a past his prime Devonta Freeman doesn't seem like the solution

2 minutes ago, JDE said:

Granted they did face two teams with strong defensive lines, but they really just looked abysmal out there, and their schedule doesn’t exactly soften up.

I think they could beat the Eagles twice, Bengals, maybe split the series against Dallas/Washington, and possibly the Browns (although they looked pretty good on TNF), so that’s about 6 games that I’d consider winnable for them.

I know it’s very early in the year, but from watching them it really feels like the same crappy team it’s been for several years now. Plugging in a past his prime Devonta Freeman doesn't seem like the solution

Oh don't get me wrong I don't think the Giants are any good. But from an organization perspective, I don't think they are giving up on the season to the point where they wouldn't try to fill the hole at RB with Freeman, as long as the price is right.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JDE said:

You are right about the longer term. However, to make the playoffs this year, they have to add an RB. Their odds of making the playoffs are low but by not adding an RB, you would signal that you are going for the #1 pick next year 

2 minutes ago, JDE said:

I wouldn't spend too much FAAB bucks on the dude since he might not even get signed this year or not get signed until super late (see Jay Ajayi, 2019). Plenty of other FAs out there who could give the G-Men most of the production of Freeman at a lower cost - Lamar Miller, Isaiah Crowell, Spencer Ware, Doug Martin, and plenty more.  They might even sign a below replacement level guy like C.J. Spiller or Jeremy Hill who seems to get signed by a team every year and proceed to get all of 6 touches for the year. 

Yeah I see where you guys are coming from, if the Giants truly feel there’s any glimmer of hope to save this season then signing the best free agent RB is the only logical option

Just wish these trash franchises would realize when there’s no hope and instead use the season as a way to evaluate the guys who could (or shouldn’t) be a part of the team for years to come.

6 minutes ago, JDE said:

Yeah I see where you guys are coming from, if the Giants truly feel there’s any glimmer of hope to save this season then signing the best free agent RB is the only logical option

Just wish these trash franchises would realize when there’s no hope and instead use the season as a way to evaluate the guys who could (or shouldn’t) be a part of the team for years to come.

But that can't come at the expense of guys who are definitely the future. They can't risk Jones getting crushed. Sometimes a known mediocrity is better than some nobody who might get your franchise quarterback killed. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, AnonymousRob said:

But that can't come at the expense of guys who are definitely the future. They can't risk Jones getting crushed. Sometimes a known mediocrity is better than some nobody who might get your franchise quarterback killed. 

With his offensive line getting crushed just seems to be part of the job description. 7 sacks already this year and 38 last season. Kid’s getting the David Carr experience.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

This dude must still be asking for too much money.

Bortles got signed instantly. 

If Freeman does sign, how long will it take him to learn an entirely new system?

duno how legit this is but here...

Edited by Power-O
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Power-O said:

duno how legit this is but here...

Welp, looks like my top priority on the WW. 

Who's with me? 

Just now, The G Man said:

Who's with me? 

already got him lol

1 minute ago, The G Man said:

Who's with me? 

In an ironic twist, I added him at 11:55 Sun and cut Clement (16 team league)...figuring it was worth a shot in case he signed in PHI (as I have Miles)...

but I also have Saquon...I still wouldn't say it worked out lol...but all aboard the Free express!

4 minutes ago, Power-O said:

already got him lol

1 minute ago, ST. STEVEN said:

In an ironic twist, I added him at 11:55 Sun and cut Clement (16 team league)...figuring it was worth a shot in case he signed in PHI (as I have Miles)...

but I also have Saquon...I still wouldn't say it worked out lol...but all aboard the Free express!

Yup, you boys are smarter than the ol' G Man. Congrats. 

Now, what's it gonna cost me, half my FAAB? More? 

Ugh...

People who picked him up without FAAB or high WW pick have probably gotten a starter RB. We have nothing to lose.

I doubt he gets Saquon type work. He will die behind that line anyway. A guy with his injury history, this could spell disaster.

• Like 3

Freeman should make for a good backup behind Gallman and Lewis. 

I don't think he's a very good running back. I doubt he's going to get a lot of receiving work. It's a terrible team. But hey, he's probably going to be a starting running back so he's worth a pickup. And who knows, he might surprise everyone and actually perform at a decent level. He's got the opportunity and that's far and away the hardest thing to come by.

• Like 1