FlashGordon401

Devonta Freeman 2020 Outlook

This feels like fools gold here. I don't think anyone with immediate RB needs should be prioritizing this guy. He probably won't be out there this weekend, and will certainly take a couple of weeks to get acclimated to the offense. 

Gives Lews/Gallman a week or two to show what they can do likely as a committee. Unless Freeman, the free agent, who has been without a team for 6 months can come in and somehow outperform these guys who have been with the team for the whole offseason and season so far.

And to give credit where its due, Freeman is probably more talented than both of these guys, but will he have the opportunity to show that anytime in the next 2 weeks?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, next big thing cp84 said:

This feels like fools gold here. I don't think anyone with immediate RB needs should be prioritizing this guy. He probably won't be out there this weekend, and will certainly take a couple of weeks to get acclimated to the offense. 

Gives Lews/Gallman a week or two to show what they can do likely as a committee. Unless Freeman, the free agent, who has been without a team for 6 months can come in and somehow outperform these guys who have been with the team for the whole offseason and season so far.

And to give credit where its due, Freeman is probably more talented than both of these guys, but will he have the opportunity to show that anytime in the next 2 weeks?

Learning curve for RBs is not steep. If he practices Thursday and Friday, he should be good for at least goal line plunges to start with

• Like 1

If Barkley couldn’t produce in that offense what the hell is Freeman going to do?!?  Good luck with that!

Just now, c_dilip said:

Learning curve for RBs is not steep. If he practices Thursday and Friday, he should be good for at least goal line plunges to start with

Yeah and he's the definition of a seasoned pro. There is without a doubt an avenue for him to be in that RB2 mix this year.

He is a 3 down back, and I kinda doubt he would have signed on if he wasn't given some assurances that he will be given a chance to be the guy in the backfield.

7 minutes ago, next big thing cp84 said:

I like both Lewis and Gallman. As a Giants fan, I can see a role for Lewis. I've always liked his game. However, with all of that being said, Freeman will undoubtedly be on top of this depth on this when he's ready. I would say week 4 and week 4 is ideal anyway from a fantasy perspective. Giants face the Niners in week 3 which is a tough match-up even without Bosa.

• Like 1

Freeman jump over the likes of M. Davis and D. Henderson in waiver priority?

NYG is a dumpster fire right now, but things tend to change quickly. They have solid offensive pieces and they operate in a division that...well...stinks.

Never thought I'd be starting a James Robinson this early in the season.

Pick up, ask questions later.

• Like 1

Just now, Texansfan said:

If Barkley couldn’t produce in that offense what the hell is Freeman going to do?!?  Good luck with that!

They also played Pittsburgh defense who is insanely good this year and they played Chicago away. 
although i don’t think Chicago defense isn’t the best it’s not an easy match up to go into soldier field and dominate. 

I’m not saying freeman will do better than saquan nor I’m i saying freeman will be a rb2 

but i think the ppl who pick up freeman with the mentality that you could have a decent flex will be pretty please. 
i think freeman could have good value in PPR 

maybe 12-13 point games 

Just now, kyoun1e said:

NYG is a dumpster fire right now, but things tend to change quickly. They have solid offensive pieces and they operate in a division that...well...stinks.

IMO, Freeman skyrockets to the top of the list. Mike Davis is a good short term solution especially if you are 0-2. Over the course of a season, barring injury Freeman will be starting for you for 10+ weeks.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ST. STEVEN said:

Yeah and he's the definition of a seasoned pro. There is without a doubt an avenue for him to be in that RB2 mix this year.

He is a 3 down back, and I kinda doubt he would have signed on if he wasn't given some assurances that he will be given a chance to be the guy in the backfield.

Why would he care if he's "the guy" at this point in his career?  Was probably just trying to get the biggest pay day he could.  No one is going to sign a 29 year old RB next year to a big/multi year contract even if he comes out like Gang Busters this season.  Which I don't think he will... considering it's the Giants.

Edited by Gabbed
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, kyoun1e said:

Like him or not you have to put him ahead of Davis and Henderson. I'm not convinced he'll succeed, but he certainly has the best opportunity. 

Yeah, we just need to know what the Giants ended up paying him.

10 minutes ago, Texansfan said:

Freeman deff could "outperform" Barkley fantasy wise, there's no reason to game plan for Freeman as a DC and I do think the Giants are not as bad as they've played the first two weeks 

18 minutes ago, next big thing cp84 said:

Yeah, I don't get your point. In most cases we're talking about him as a waiver wire add and with the exception of "maybe" Kelley he has the clearest path to possible success. If I owned McCaffrey I might prioritize Davis over him, but otherwise Freeman is as good of a waiver claim as it gets. I'm also blown away by the fact that you're questioning his opportunity because of (wait for it) Gallman and Lewis. Freeman might not end the season as their bell cow, but it's not going to be for lack of opportunity over those two scrubs. 

4 minutes ago, jmcampbe11 said:

Like him or not you have to put him ahead of Davis and Henderson. I'm not convinced he'll succeed, but he certainly has the best opportunity. 

Interesting. 

Long term, I'd think Freeman is the choice, but if you need to win now I'd think you're all over M. Davis.

I tend to NOT think too long term. So much could happen 4 weeks from now. Other opportunities emerge (like this one).

Give me somebody who can help me win now so I can gain leverage within my league.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, devilfish said:

Best WW player this season... 

I'm skeptical of Freeman being able to produce behind the Giants o-line when he'll probably lose some catches to Lewis, when Barkley didn't even look that great with the full load. Saquon was still Saquon when he got into space to run but it's hard to see Freeman doing any better 

1 minute ago, jmcampbe11 said:

Yeah, I don't get your point. In most cases we're talking about him as a waiver wire add and with the exception of "maybe" Kelley he has the clearest path to possible success. If I owned McCaffrey I might prioritize Davis over him, but otherwise Freeman is as good of a waiver claim as it gets. I'm also blown away by the fact that you're questioning his opportunity because of (wait for it) Gallman and Lewis. Freeman might not end the season as their bell cow, but it's not going to be for lack of opportunity over those two scrubs. 

The speed at which the Giants signed Freeman should tell you enough about their confidence on Lewis and Gallman. I expect Gallman to be a healthy scratch this week too

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, next big thing cp84 said:

Total fools gold. Ever since he hit the big $, he's all about pocketing $ for as little effort as possible. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, kyoun1e said:

Interesting. 

Long term, I'd think Freeman is the choice, but if you need to win now I'd think you're all over M. Davis.

I tend to NOT think too long term. So much could happen 4 weeks from now. Other opportunities emerge (like this one).

Give me somebody who can help me win now so I can gain leverage within my league.

Davis isn't exactly a given. You might like his upside, but he has no longer term track record of success. Freeman managed to be at least mediocre while splitting carries for most of those seasons in Atlanta. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, FavreCo said:

Total fools gold. Ever since he hit the big $, he's all about pocketing $ for as little effort as possible. 

Are you Devonta Freeman's strength and conditioning coach and/or accountant? If not then you'll have to forgive me if I put zero stock in your in depth analysis. 

Piggybacking on what a previous poster pointed out - you can't just say Freeman won't perform well considering Saquon wasn't performing well. You HAVE to take into consideration opposing defenses will not be game planning for Freeman as they did with Barkley. Freeman was always a solid RB and he's only 28. He's a 3 down back who's clearly the best option on that team. I think he'll be a solid RB2 from week 5 on. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Dirty Little Birdie said:

Piggybacking on what a previous poster pointed out - you can't just say Freeman won't perform well considering Saquon wasn't performing well. You HAVE to take into consideration opposing defenses will not be game planning for Freeman as they did with Barkley. Freeman was always a solid RB and he's only 28. He's a 3 down back who's clearly the best option on that team. I think he'll be a solid RB2 from week 5 on. 

Yup! Even so if he’s a solid flex play I’d be happy. In PPR if he’s a solid 13-15 points that’s great! Considering most ppl are so down on him. 

34 minutes ago, kyoun1e said:

Interesting. 

Yeah, if I don't have another rb for this week and have to win, Freeman ranks behind Davis and McKinnon. But if you have space and don't need a body this week, Freeman is the easy grab.

56 minutes ago, Texansfan said:

Who  said Barkley couldn't produce in this offense? You are measuring that from 1 game vs the Steelers? A game he still put up 9 pts in half ppr?

1 hour ago, JoeJoe88 said:

Freeman was always pretty solid in pass protection in Atlanta iirc. 

Wasn't Freeman the guy who whiffed on the SB rusher that strip sacked Ryan and led to the Pat's comeback to win the Lombardy? 

Edit, yeah it was - he didn't even try to block the guy.

Edited by jumper
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1