FlashGordon401

Devonta Freeman 2020 Outlook

I won’t be like most here and tell you’ll I know what back that the NY Giants will feature because damn I have no idea, who is the back to own. If I had a gun pointed at my head my answer would be Freeman. 

25 minutes ago, jmcampbe11 said:

I personally ranked him third in my waiver priority list this week behind Davis and Kelley (ahead of Henderson, Gaskin, etc.)

Not specifically just quoting you but we all have different opinions. My ranking Davis, Kelley, Gaskin, Henderson then Freeman. 

if one has dabbled in this gig long enough then one knows the hard/fast rule: you. can. never. have. enough. RBs. period. 

it's a season long war of attrition with this position, now factor in the cataclysmic injury monkey shines of the past weekend, and it's even moreso paramount to hoard these cats. 

ergo, i'm not gonna kill a mutha trukka for taking the plunge with ol' Freemason here ... now, 95% of faab coin (as one poster alluded to a leeg mate plunking)?  eh, seems a tad ham-fisted, but plz refer to paragraph one. 

ppr goodness is what one is banking on here, and he's one season removed from 50+, 700+, and a handful of tuddies thru the air. 

the Jints are starved for any semblance of spark ... Shep/Tate/Engram spend more time in the trainers room than on the field (Shep already lookin' dodgy for this week, possibly more) ... it's Dimez and Slayton - then PRAY 🙏 

enough positive to outweight the negatives about this spec ... far from a slam dunk, but not exactly a bust, either - modicum of troof to both sides here - ya feelin' lucky?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Flyers_28 said:

ESPN's Jordan Raanan said Dion Lewis is "the best bet to be the Giants' top running back with Saquon Barkley out for the season."

i hope he's wrong i could really use freeman 

Jordan Raanan is a beat writer. A reporter. What they report (quotes from staff, players etc) can be great for analyzing fantasy impact, but a good rule is to (apart from a couple exceptions) never trust them for direct fantasy advice. Their talent is reporting, not analyzing. We had an example just one week ago, when a beat writer suggested there would be a time share between Conner and Snell in week 2, which scared off many fantasy players from starting Conner.

If there's a quote from within the organization saying Dion Lewis will be the top back, that would be a whole different story obviously. But there isn't.

Of course Jordan Raanan's analysis can turn out to be correct when all is said and done, but that's not the point here. Make your own analysis with help from what beat writers report, but don't blindly trust their analysis.

• Like 3

Just now, Islanderman said:

Jordan Raanan is a clickbait foisting numb nutz who owns Dion Lewis in his fantasy league.

🤷‍♂️

I doubt Lewis would be the best option. At the same time, I doubt Freeman turned down more money from other teams. Nobody is signing with the Giants unless they were told they'd be getting some major work. We all know that team is headed nowhere this year. But who knows. Freeman has played with losers for years so maybe he's just more comfortable in these situations.

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1308562671701286913?s=20

Edited by FitzMagic

1 hour ago, Flyers_28 said:

ESPN's Jordan Raanan said Dion Lewis is "the best bet to be the Giants' top running back with Saquon Barkley out for the season."

i hope he's wrong i could really use freeman 

He probably will be the top guy for week 3. But unless he dominates like he's Saquan, Freeman is taking the top spot as soon as next week.

LOL that Drew Rosenhaus says that Devonta "turned down more money".  Of course he has to say that to save face.  Devonta turned down $4M and he could be on the potentially Super Bowl bound Seahawks.  Let's see how much playing time he really gets with the Giants.  If Barkley looked like trash behind that o-line, how is Devonta going to fare?

6 minutes ago, skye2388 said:

The o-line still needs time to gel.  Devonta will be a RB2 by midway point of this season.

👍

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Islanderman said:

if you read his tweet I'm not sure he's referring to the season, it sounds like he's talking about week 3.  

Rotoworld taking a coach/writers comment completely out of context?? That has never happened before

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, skye2388 said:

The o-line will never gel.  Devonta will be a RB3 by midway point of this season.

FIFY

• Like 1

So this thread will be filled today with those who got Freeman in waivers talking about how he's probably a top 15 RB ROS and those who tried, but didn't secure Freeman talking about how he'll be back on waivers by week 6. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

37 minutes ago, skye2388 said:

The o-line still needs time to gel

This is true. Seems like we say this every year about this unit. They have two guards who are pro bowl level guards, but they have a new rookie LT (4th overall) replacing the vet Solder, new RT, new center and a new O-line coach who is damn good.

Whomever emerges out from Freeman and Lewis will definitely be fantasy relevant. Lewis is a pros pro and I can see where an inside guy like Raanan would like him. I still think that this will be Freeman's backfield. I know the contract was only "up to 3 million", but if they really felt comfortable with Lewis (with Gallman in their back pocket), why go after Freeman?

Edited by nonstopfan
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, TheDoctor said:

So this thread will be filled today with those who got Freeman in waivers talking about how he's probably a top 15 RB ROS and those who tried, but didn't secure Freeman talking about how he'll be back on waivers by week 6. 

That's the story of every hot waiver commodity. 

Me? I didn't bother because he's likely washed up. My guess is you get RB3 value, especially since he has to acclimate to the offense. And Dion Lewis won't disappear is my guess. 

Just now, TheDoctor said:

Welcome to every thread, you must be new here. 

In all seriousness though, the Giants signing Freeman and foregoing carry over suggests 

(1) They don't like Gallman or their practice squad guys 

(2) They don't like Dion Lewis in a featured role (may be the passing down back and cop though) 

Seriously, they are reportedly paying Freeman more than Lewis (possibly more than Lewis and Gallman combined). Teams are only honest about 2 things (1) draft capital; (2) money. The money suggests Freeman will have a significant role. What that role is and whether is translates to production remains to be seen. 

Raanan's tweet probably has more to do with week 3 than ROS, but its worth noting that the Pats did use Lewis a in a featured role before. I don't think it was taken out of context. 

2 minutes ago, oliminator123 said:

That's the story of every hot waiver commodity. 

Me? I didn't bother because he's likely washed up. My guess is you get RB3 value, especially since he has to acclimate to the offense. And Dion Lewis won't disappear is my guess. 

Highly overrated take (and I think Raanan said the same thing). People act like the Giants run some kind of exotic run or pass scheme for their RBs. It's Jason Garrett. Freeman should get up to speed quick, but I agree idt Dion Lewis disappears. 

Edited by Sizzlebshu

33 minutes ago, AnonymousRob said:

He probably will be the top guy for week 3. But unless he dominates like he's Saquan, Freeman is taking the top spot as soon as next week.

Click through all the links there, and nobody is quoted as saying Lewis is the guy for ROS or Week 3. The talk from the team is next man up, and the article was written before they signed Freeman. Take it FWIW. Like pastorofmuppets said, you can't have too many RBs.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TheDoctor said:

I think most of us are expecting a low end rb 2 or middling flex. There's probably not much upside here but he's a starting RB in a season where they're all being massacred. That's pretty valuable. And hell, when a guy is getting guaranteed touches there's always a chance for more.

10 minutes ago, DezedandConfused said:

Freeman rejected $4m to play with a contender (Seahawks) to play for the Giants (~$3m) -_- 

He chose to showcase his talents in a starting role instead of riding the bench behind Chris Carson to try and get another decent payday.

11 minutes ago, DezedandConfused said:

Freeman rejected $4m to play with a contender (Seahawks) to play for the Giants (~$3m) -_- 

Perhaps he prefers NYC to the Pacific Northwest? :dunno:

Just now, smeeze said:

He chose to showcase his talents in a starting role instead of riding the bench behind Chris Carson to try and get another decent payday.

Showcase his talents behind Daniel Jones on the Giants over competing for a championship behind arguably the best QB in the league at the moment.

• Thanks 1

He would also be competing with Carson, Hyde and Penny (ahead of schedule)... if this is about the long game, playing for NYG makes more sense. At least he has a chance to feature 

• Like 1