FlashGordon401

Devonta Freeman 2020 Outlook

1 minute ago, DezedandConfused said:

Showcase his talents behind Daniel Jones on the Giants over competing for a championship behind arguably the best QB in the league at the moment.

He's probably going to get 5x the work with NYG then he would with SEA. He's obviously trying to get 1 last decent NFL contract.

• Like 1

Through two weeks, the Giants have played the Steelers and Bears.  Two of the top, what, 5 run Ds in the league?  Their running game will improve.  Will it be great?  No.  They didn't sign Freeman to have him back up Dion Lewis.  Lewis will be the guy for week 3, and that's all that Ranaan's report says to me.  By Week 4/5, Freeeman will be the primary ball carrier on an offense whose running attack should improve.  That means he's a low-end RB2 or decent flex.  Worth having on the roster, not worth getting all hot and bothered about

• Like 2

I think reading into Freeman not taking the Seattle deal is a red herring created by selection bias. Simplest explanation is usually the right one and the simplest explanation is that Freeman and his agent gambled on his value and lost (reportedly wanted 5 million). I think this is confirmed by the fact that Freeman fired his agent shortly after offseason ended. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, smeeze said:

He's probably going to get 5x the work with NYG then he would with SEA. He's obviously trying to get 1 last decent NFL contract.

No team is gonna sign a 29 year RB on a contract spanning over 2 seasons over $4m a season , but we'll see.

2 hours ago, Flyers_28 said:

ESPN's Jordan Raanan said Dion Lewis is "the best bet to be the Giants' top running back with Saquon Barkley out for the season."

i hope he's wrong i could really use freeman 

Yeah for week 3

4 minutes ago, ThunderDan said:

Through two weeks, the Giants have played the Steelers and Bears.  Two of the top, what, 5 run Ds in the league?  Their running game will improve.  Will it be great?  No.  They didn't sign Freeman to have him back up Dion Lewis.  Lewis will be the guy for week 3, and that's all that Ranaan's report says to me.  By Week 4/5, Freeeman will be the primary ball carrier on an offense whose running attack should improve.  That means he's a low-end RB2 or decent flex.  Worth having on the roster, not worth getting all hot and bothered about

Look at the ROS schedule, the defense of their opponents don't get much easier.

2 minutes ago, Rod6874 said:

Yeah for week 3

I agree. I don’t see why the Giants would pay him $3m to backup Lewis. If they trusted Lewis to start they could of used Gallman to spell him without bringing anyone in. 

I think Freeman was waiting for an injury and an opportunity to start to earn the contract he thinks he deserves. Since he didn’t get that this offseason. No way he signed on with the Giants without believing he would start. 

He was my first pick of all the RBs because of the long term upside. He doesn’t have the immediate upside some of the other guys had but he could be a great flex or bye week filler down the road once he gets acclimated to the offense. 

19 minutes ago, Sizzlebshu said:

I think reading into Freeman not taking the Seattle deal is a red herring created by selection bias. Simplest explanation is usually the right one and the simplest explanation is that Freeman and his agent gambled on his value and lost (reportedly wanted 5 million). I think this is confirmed by the fact that Freeman fired his agent shortly after offseason ended. 

Bingo.  Hit the nail on the head.

He wanted more money.  He turned down Seattle early because he thought other teams would come calling.  Seattle immediately snapped up Hyde.  And then nobody called.  So he fired his agent.  Now he has narcissist Rosenhaus who has to always inflate his people and he's working the spin, saying it was essentially Freeman's choice to sit on the couch all this time.

Time to now showcase those talents and see if he can live up to his own lofty expectations.

1 hour ago, TheDoctor said:

So this thread will be filled today with those who got Freeman in waivers talking about how he's probably a top 15 RB ROS and those who tried, but didn't secure Freeman talking about how he'll be back on waivers by week 6. 

I'm somewhere in the middle. 😂

Showcase?  We will likely look back on the 2020 season put up by Devonta Freeman and call it something besides that term.

12 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Showcase?  We will likely look back on the 2020 season put up by Devonta Freeman and call it something besides that term.

Only time will tell SS. 

We shall see. 

1 hour ago, DezedandConfused said:

Freeman rejected $4m to play with a contender (Seahawks) to play for the Giants (~$3m) -_- 

Depends on how he's looking at it.  Playing 60%+ of snaps with the Giants is going to net him a much bigger payday next year than getting 4 snaps or being a healthy scratch with the 'Hawks.  He's going to make up for that $1M he missed this year when he signs a bigger contract next year.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, JJ1223 said:

Depends on how he's looking at it.  Playing 60%+ of snaps with the Giants is going to net him a much bigger payday next year than getting 4 snaps or being a healthy scratch with the 'Hawks.  He's going to make up for that $1M he missed this year when he signs a bigger contract next year.

Ooooh...really not sure about this.  It may reflect the player's thinking, I suppose.  20-25 new running backs will be drafted next year, so Freeman may have trouble getting a job again prior to 2021 if he underwhelms behind this bad NYG O-line...

Just now, SharkSwimmer said:

Ooooh...really not sure about this.  It may reflect the player's thinking, I suppose.  20-25 new running backs will be drafted next year, so Freeman may have trouble getting a job again prior to 2021 if he underwhelms behind this bad NYG O-line...

True, but he'll have an even harder time getting a job if he's sitting on the sidelines in Seattle.  His options are go to NY, try to do something and salvage one more contract, or accept that your career is essentially over.  He's betting on himself and I can't hate on that.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

He sat on the shelf all off season with no real contract offers. Next year will be more of the same if he can't prove that he can still play. The only way to do that is to go to a team where he has the opportunity to produce.

• Like 2

Does anyone know if he's in playing shape or has he been making rap albums and riding jet skis?

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, beerfish said:

Does anyone know if he's in playing shape or has he been making rap albums and riding jet skis?

Playing shape, otherwise the Giants would not have signed him.  Football shape could take a couple weeks of practice.  Has to learn the playbook, as well.

• Thanks 1

Presuming Freeman takes the starting role at some point, does anyone see a bump in value in PPR leagues with the Giants or will there be a second back for passing downs? I haven't payed much attention to NYG offense.

2 minutes ago, Dark Kn19ht said:

Presuming Freeman takes the starting role at some point, does anyone see a bump in value in PPR leagues with the Giants or will there be a second back for passing downs? I haven't payed much attention to NYG offense.

Dion Lewis. But hard to say what the split will be like

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Dark Kn19ht said:

My guess is Lewis will get many of the passing-down snaps despite Freeman being a good pass catcher, as Lewis is adept at that and I believe is also a better pass protector (a regularly referenced deficiency of Freeman's).

• Like 2

Jason Garrett likes to run the ball. Pretty sure the Cowboys were the 2nd most run heavy team last year behind the Ravens, even with a good QB in Dak. Obviously you're not relying on Freeman like he's Zeke, but Garrett's not changing his stripes. Freeman will get his touches. Hopefully he can take advantage (I picked him up from FA before the season started in a 16 teamer and I want a free RB2).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, alleyce said:

I agree. I don’t see why the Giants would pay him $3m to backup Lewis. If they trusted Lewis to start they could of used Gallman to spell him without bringing anyone in. 

I think Freeman was waiting for an injury and an opportunity to start to earn the contract he thinks he deserves. Since he didn’t get that this offseason. No way he signed on with the Giants without believing he would start. 

He was my first pick of all the RBs because of the long term upside. He doesn’t have the immediate upside some of the other guys had but he could be a great flex or bye week filler down the road once he gets acclimated to the offense. 

to be devil's advocate the Giants are not paying him $3mil to be a backup. if he ends up behind Lewis he isn't getting $3mil, the number will be much less.  whatever the details are in the contract, the $3mil represents the best case scenario if he hits all the performance metrics.  basically the Giants are paying for a chance to catch lightning in a bottle with Freeman.  it's a low risk move for the Giants to sign Freeman. 

as for week 3, the odds are less than 50/50 he has a significant impact, there simply isn't even time and there are more factors working against him  than there are for him.  sure it can still happen but looking at it from  a numbers perspective, you're fooling yourself if you are projecting a big week from a guy who just joined the team yesterday and has been practicing.  the hammy/acl injuries are spiking this year partially due to the lack of preseason, hell the Giants fell victim to it.  and that's why they are in the situation they are now with Freeman.  he'll get some token touches this week to get his feet wet, but barring something happening to Lewis or Gallman or Freeman breaking off like 2 consecutive 50 yard runs,  he will be in for a pedestrian week.

as for those using the schedule as an argument against or how bad the Giants are as a team.  I point you to the direction of JAX and James Robinson.  touches  are king, and Freeman will have a chance to be  the primary rb. 

so let's strap in and enjoy the ride, 

Lol at anyone thinking this washed up scrub on this garbage team is going to be worth anything this year 😂

5 minutes ago, dms80790 said:

Lol at anyone thinking this washed up scrub on this garbage team is going to be worth anything this year 😂

the guy who missed out has come here to make himself feel better lol

• Haha 1