FlashGordon401

Devonta Freeman 2020 Outlook

6 hours ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Top ten?  If the gods of Olympus were awarded a NFL franchise for 2020 and they had Zeus starting at center and Devonta Freeman starting at tailback, Freeman still would not finish in the top ten.

Top Ten!!!

Mark Ingram did it last year.

So, if Freeman signed with Tampa Bay, became the starter and got 10 rushes, 5 catches per game and goal line work he couldn't throw his hat in the ring for top 10?

I think that's highly unlikely but it is plausible. So as long as he lingers out there that's how people are viewing his absolute ceiling. Perfect player perfect fit for the right team.

Anywhere other than Tampa and he likely becomes a role player with little to no value without an injury to another RB like Philly or Miami, etc...

Well you are forgetting two things:

1)  Devonta Freeman 2020 version is not in the same galaxy as Mark Ingram;

And

2)  Tampa's rushing "attack,"  Freeman or no, is not anywhere close to one of the most unique and effective running teams of all time, the 2019 Baltimore Ravens.

39 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Well you are forgetting two things:

1)  Devonta Freeman 2020 version is not in the same galaxy as Mark Ingram;

And

2)  Tampa's rushing "attack,"  Freeman or no, is not anywhere close to one of the most unique and effective running teams of all time, the 2019 Baltimore Ravens.

You don't know what Tampa's rushing attack will look like at all with Evans and Godwin stretching the field and gronk threatening the middle we are supposed to expect the TB run game not to have huge holes to run through? Not to mention the way Brady will pepper his RB with targets. 

Freeman has the easiest path for fantasy success through TB, beating out rojo, Vaughn and Dare for a role similar to what Ingram carved out while sharing with Jackson, Edwards, and Hill does not seem unrealistic.

You don't think TB will have plenty of scoring opportunities? 

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Top ten?  If the gods of Olympus were awarded a NFL franchise for 2020 and they had Zeus starting at center and Devonta Freeman starting at tailback, Freeman still would not finish in the top ten.

Top Ten!!!

If he played a full sixteen games, in what looks to be, a top five offense? Especially with lead back roles? I guess I see it differently. I think he would have massive scoring upside with great odds at having a highly efficient season. Of course, this is all predicated he signs in TB and takes the job. 

Edited by buckeyestilidie

1 hour ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

You don't know what Tampa's rushing attack will look like at all with Evans and Godwin stretching the field and gronk threatening the middle we are supposed to expect the TB run game not to have huge holes to run through? Not to mention the way Brady will pepper his RB with targets. 

Freeman has the easiest path for fantasy success through TB, beating out rojo, Vaughn and Dare for a role similar to what Ingram carved out while sharing with Jackson, Edwards, and Hill does not seem unrealistic.

Not as many as last season.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

If they were going to sign him to be the feature back, he'd be on the team already. He'd probably lock down the passing down role because he's stout in pass pro and is still a productive receiver (quietly had 59 catches last year), but he's absolutely toast as a runner (3.6 YPC last year). I think he'd probably get something similar to the Dare role last year with a bit more volume in the run game.

Rojo is an unquestionably better running back on the ground than him and would still get the brunt of the 1st and 2nd down work imo. He's a much better pass catcher than given credit for too with 31 rec on 40 targets and the 5th best yards per target for NFL RBs (behind Ekeler, Dalvin, Sanders, DJ). I'm very low on Vaughn, but he'll get some work too. 

No matter where Freeman goes, I don't think he's worth anything more than a dart throw without injury to the lead RB.

• Like 2

The idea that Freeman is going to sign somewhere this late and then come in and put up a top ten season is pure fantasy.  Not like Fantasy Football fantasy, like something that can't possibly be real fantasy.

On 7/1/2020 at 3:44 PM, SharkSwimmer said:

The idea that Freeman is going to sign somewhere this late and then come in and put up a top ten season is pure fantasy.  Not like Fantasy Football fantasy, like something that can't possibly be real fantasy.

Anything is possible. Tim freaking Hightower won leagues in 2015. 

1 hour ago, joshua18 said:

Anything is possible. Tim freaking Hightower won leagues in 2015. 

Hightower started 3 games that year - and didn’t come within striking distance of a top-10 season.  Why would you cite him as a counter-example?

19 hours ago, BMcP said:

Hightower started 3 games that year - and didn’t come within striking distance of a top-10 season.  Why would you cite him as a counter-example?

Because he was the RB1 when it mattered most and won titles for many owners. The height of zero RB (and the last time it was really relevant at the high-stakes level). 

This is fantasy football. Many seemingly outlandish occurrences have become commonplace.

21 minutes ago, joshua18 said:

Because he was the RB1 when it mattered most and won titles for many owners. The height of zero RB (and the last time it was really relevant at the high-stakes level). 

This is fantasy football. Many seemingly outlandish occurrences have become commonplace.

Oh I know - I rode him to glory that year.  But I thought the question concerned RBs who ended up having a top-10 season - not the Boston Scotts and C.J. Spillers of the world.

6 hours ago, BMcP said:

Oh I know - I rode him to glory that year.  But I thought the question concerned RBs who ended up having a top-10 season - not the Boston Scotts and C.J. Spillers of the world.

Hightower had two big games in 2015. Its kind of a stretch to say he won leagues.

Anyways I think Freeman is cooked. I dont think he has any value regardless of what team he lands on.

Just now, Evincar said:

Hightower had two big games in 2015. Its kind of a stretch to say he won leagues.

Anyways I think Freeman is cooked. I dont think he has any value regardless of what team he lands on.

Obviously you didn’t own Hightower if you don’t think he won leagues in 2015. 

Hyde looked washed up after being cut and then ran for 1000 yards last year. All this is speculation until we know where Freeman lands.

1 minute ago, Evincar said:

Those games happened to come at a critical time for fantasy purposes - regardless, it does nothing to clarify why Hightower was brought up in response to a question about “top-ten” finishers.

1 minute ago, joshua18 said:

Obviously you didn’t own Hightower if you don’t think he won leagues in 2015. 

Hyde looked washed up after being cut and then ran for 1000 yards last year. All this is speculation until we know where Freeman lands.

I mean if anyone gets picked up and has a 2 TD/160 yard game in Week 16 will certainly help your team. When it comes to calling someone a league winner, I would give more weight to a player who actually helped you make the playoffs in the first place and was a core roster player.

On 7/3/2020 at 2:03 PM, joshua18 said:

Had nothing to do with zero RB. No one picked up Hightower before he signed off the street having not played in a couple seasons. Hightower was another example of a late season RB waiver/faab add that helped win leagues because the starter went down. It hasn't happened as often lately, but used to happen regularly.

Zac Stacy comes to mind over a longer period. And plenty of other examples.

Imo freeman will sign later in the season to a contending team that has a rb injury and the coach wants a veteran presence. If freeman is going to play for peanuts he will just wait it out until mid season imo. He should be smart enough to realize he is in the rb off the street phase of his career and even the 5 mil per season days are over. 

Personally I have gambled on antonio brown in a few leagues at the right price but i have not bothered to roster freeman at all. There is like 70 nfl rb i would roster before even considering freeman. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, isuckatdfs said:

There is like 70 nfl rb i would roster before even considering freeman. 

Ok...let's see them.

• Like 1

Guys like Freeman are draftable in deeper or large leagues, since you know it's a matter of when not if they play.  But in smaller leagues, the where matters quite a bit.

This year with everyones health being a considerable factor any given week, Freeman may have more suitors than normal.  He could wind up playing for multiple teams. Could even wind up back in ATL.

• Like 1

70 sounds about right.

On 7/3/2020 at 9:12 PM, Evincar said:

Eh it's really not. He had 16 points in week 14 and 10 in week 15 using half PPR. Which is nice flex value or a good replacement for an injured RB which is often the case around that time.

He then proceeded ot drop a 30 burger in the fantasy championship.. If that wasn't the championship then he dropped 20 more in week 17. 

Well Devonta Freeman has now announced that he wants to sign with an NFL team imminently.  Huh.

Clinton Portis never retired, either.

8 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Well Devonta Freeman has now announced that he wants to sign with an NFL team imminently.  Huh.

Clinton Portis never retired, either.

Guessin' he looked at the calendar and thought "hmmm...I guess somthin' better than nuthin".  

1 hour ago, The G Man said:

Guessin' he looked at the calendar and thought "hmmm...I guess somthin' better than nuthin".  

Freeman has an intention to join a new team, but I know of no teams who have the intention to sign him.

7th year in the NFL for an RB that's 5'8 / 205.  With significant injury history.