FlashGordon401

Devonta Freeman 2020 Outlook

a cat with Freeman's skillset seemed a much better fit for the Lions offense than AP.

this kid's gotta be toast if teams in need of a back with his versatility (K.C., Detroit, T.B.) whiffed. 

Edited by pastorofmuppets2
  • Like 1

Dropped a Kicker for him. I can wait a little bit more. Hopefully just working out the details or mulling it over the holiday weekend.

If AP got $1M, he's likely staring at 750K and thinking "dang, I should have taken that $4M to play beside Russ on a good team" and he's wondering if it's all worth it at this point...

Jags are pretty much the only team it seems like he can sign with where he could compete for the starting job.  Would have said Washington but they seem enamored with Gibson.

2 hours ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

Ive held out hope for freeman all offseason.

If the jags pass in favor of robinson and ozigbo he might be done.

If the Jags pass on him it doesn't necessarily mean he's done.  They just might not be impressed with his workout for whatever reason or him as a person but that doesn't mean that other teams will feel the same.  Players are better fits on some teams than others.  I think the biggest reason why he hasn't been signed is because he's been demanding too much money.

Edited by sjm76

I picked this guy up a few days ago, but I'm really not sure why. He's been washed for a few years now and it just doesn't seem like he's going to back into a decent situation either.

how soon do we find out if he signs with the jags? it shouldnt take this long after a visit? did he do a live workout for them or just a sit down conference?

5 hours ago, Trade Monster said:

Please me careful for bs accounts like this.

That looks like someone's Madden League fantasy account.

• Haha 2

The signing will likely not happen before Week 2 due to COVID restrictions and the fact that the salary would not have to be guaranteed imo. 

• Like 1

Just dropped him for Josh Kelley. I’m out. He will have no role until at least week 3. 

1 hour ago, Tenner said:

Just dropped him for Josh Kelley. I’m out. He will have no role until at least week 3. 

Same Feeling - Dropped him for Hunter Renfrow in a 1 PPR League, I'm out. Enough with this teaser.....

Still think he's worth a late round flyer. Especially in this season. He's one injury or positive Covid away from landing in a situation with RB1/2 duties. 

I'm actually glad he didn't sign with Jax. Keeps his value suppressed. For now. 

2 hours ago, devilfish said:

Jacksonville is the only team where he would get a starting role asap...

The Bears, I think, are another one but I don't think they have any interest.

I saw he recently left Jax without agreeing to a deal but I just heard on one of the football shows that earlier in the offseason he turned down a 1 yr/$4M contract from Seattle?? What is this guy waiting for

Just now, owenmills said:

I saw he recently left Jax without agreeing to a deal but I just heard on one of the football shows that earlier in the offseason he turned down a 1 yr/$4M contract from Seattle?? What is this guy waiting for

https://www.rollingstone.com/tv/tv-news/hard-knocks-recap-tough-smart-footballand-real-housewives-49958/

"It’s time for the CRIBS portion of the show: Freeman is seen house shopping on a rookie contract, being easily impressed by a walk-in closet and a decent-sized bathtub."

Who knows how much money he has in the bank already, and if he does, is taking a hit like that worth the veteran minimum?

If your mindset isn't chasing a Super Bowl ring, and you've already got the money in your bank account, I'd say no.

Edited by Robrain
  • Like 1

I’d be curious to know what the Jags offered and what he was asking for. Reminds me of a washed up Pierre Thomas declining to get off his couch because he didn’t think the money was enough. Freeman is likely staring at many Sundays watching games on TV and hoping for injuries so desperate teams will blow up his phone. Not gonna happen when other options are out there. 

10 hours ago, Robrain said:

Who knows how much money he has in the bank already, and if he does, is taking a hit like that worth the veteran minimum?

If your mindset isn't chasing a Super Bowl ring, and you've already got the money in your bank account, I'd say no.

Exactly what I've been saying. We're so used to sports stars blowing out their fortunes before they're 30 but a few actually manage it wisely, and he seems to be one of those. If so, kudos to him.

https://www.nfl.com/news/devonta-freeman-willing-to-sit-out-2020-season-over-contract-desires

"Freeman has invested his money well and saved much of the income he's earned thus far," Silver said. "Financially, he does not have to play. His current mentality is that he won't play if he doesn't get an offer that reflects what he believes his value is."

Not gonna lie, I did pick him up in one of my drafts, but the logic of him playing in Jacksonville didn't make any sense unless the price was crazy-good. Which would make Jacksonville a little more competitive and be completely antithetical to their 0-16 quest for this year.

It will take an injury to someone of the caliber of Derrick Henry, Miles Sanders, Todd Gurley (if the Falcons start well - irony noted) for him to come back and play. So let's make up some numbers: 1/10 chance of a serious injury to a quality starter on a contender * 1/10 chance of Freeman getting paid what he wants = 1/100 chance of "dreamboat" scenario manifesting.

spacer.png