dashoe

Cam Newton 2020 Outlook

4 hours ago, Boudewijn said:

That seems far fetched. The _timing_ though is quite interesting, so I'll give you that.

If I remember correctly he threw for 3000+ yards, ran for another 500, started a fashion brand, launched two new scents and a rap song.

All of which fell short and ended up as dissapointnents

• Like 1

11 hours ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Pats may have signed Cam just to drown out the news that they were caught cheating again and fined money and a draft pick.

Most important post in this thread. The others are irrelevant.

17 hours ago, FFCollusion said:

Allow me to add the caveat... I'm not 100% convinced Cam is the Starter OR that he makes the final 53.  All of the above is under the assumption he is the healthy unquestioned starter entering week 1.  Because it's the Patriots we're talking about, neither of these are guaranteed by any means.  Patriots might just want a mobile QB to practice against (defensively) for the off season, to prepare for the QBs who are dominating the league currently.  They get the benefit for a few months, bail before the season begins, Cam in in football shape, gets some solid film for potential future teams.  Due to the current state of the world, and the NFL, Cam can be cut from the Pats, and still come out a win/win for both sides, as his market has been ice cold to date.

Reasonable opinion. I'll go one step further and say i'm 100% convinced he's just a camp arm.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, predator_05 said:

Reasonable opinion. I'll go one step further and say i'm 100% convinced he's just a camp arm.

It would be pretty difficult for Newton to learn an entirely new (and reportedly notoriously complex and unforgiving) offensive system with no minicamp, OTAs (already missed) and possibly no training camp (we'll see...)

Edited by SharkSwimmer
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

It would be pretty difficult for Newton to learn an entirely new (and reportedly notoriously complex and unforgiving) offensive system with no minicamp, OTAs (already missed) and possibly no training camp (we'll see...)

Antonio Brown came in and scored a TD in a game with three practices under his belt.  Seems like it's possible.

I get the feeling with an (albeit abridged) offseason Cam can do fine if he's healthy.  Given that the alternatives are a guy who has thrown for a grand total of 14 yards in the NFL and Brian Hoyer, I suspect he starts week 1.

Cam Newton NFL MVP this year. The Patriots finish the season 13-3 leads the team to the Super Bowl they lose to Tom Brady and the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. Sweet 

40 minutes ago, shakestreet said:

Cam Newton NFL MVP this year. The Patriots finish the season 13-3 leads the team to the Super Bowl they lose to Tom Brady and the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. Sweet 

And your true identity as a Brady sycophant masquerading as a Patriot fan is revealed at last!

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Agreed. Signing late and coming into a potentially shortened training camp and preseason at the hardest position in the game isn't ideal for a week 1 starter. And I'd say the same thing regardless of what QB was signed. 

It's a great signing for both parties though overall. The Patriots have absolutely nothing to lose bringing Cam on for a year at that price. There's backups, bad backups, that may make more than Cam this year. And for Cam, if his body isn't broken down and if he can still be a dual threat this is a great opportunity to take over a dream spot QB'ing the most successful team of the last 2 decades and working for one of the best coach of all time. 

There's a high chance for lack of familiarity and chemistry coming into this season. He's going to need his legs to help him succeed. He's going to have to keep those legs healthy somehow. A hobbled Cam depending solely on his arm throwing to all new receivers is a worst case scenario.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, SharkSwimmer said:

And your true identity as a Brady sycophant masquerading as a Patriot fan is revealed at last!

Most Patriot fans are like that. Brady can honestly start a legitimate cult.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Gohawks said:

Most Patriot fans are like that. Brady can honestly start a legitimate cult.

At least there's never any bad blood between Seattle fans and Pats fans. 

16 minutes ago, Boudewijn said:

I honestly don’t have beef with any team.

Except the 49ers. f--- the 49ers.

Here's an interesting view for all of us who think Cam is cooked.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, SharkSwimmer said:

You already been told I have been a Patriot fan since the days when they were called the Boston Patriots. All Patriot fan know Tom is the most important player that ever played for the Patriots. How the f-uck are we not suppose to root for Tom with his new team? Him winning another Super Bowl will send those haters in a freaking tizzy. You understand that ? Afterall he is the man that has given you and the rest of the haters a platform to stand tall and spew garbage over n over using his supermodel wife, her money, his greatness, winning so many damn Super Bowls (that irks the s&it out of you doesn’t it?). Then the Patriots being a freaking dynasty for twenty years (hurts so much. Doesn’t it?) to him kissing his son etc... Come down off that platform and embrace the greatness. When you get old you can tell your grandchildren that you watch Tom Brady played ball and he was a great teammate. The kids will think Grandpa is a rockstar. 

@shakestreet

You say you are a Patriot fan first and a Tom Brady fan second?  Then why are you fantasizing about Tampa beating New England in the Superbowl?  That's odd.

Look, I don't hate Tom Brady.  He has made some very clutch plays over the years, often when his team had deciphered the opponent's defensive signals.  New England's remarkable achievements are a bit like Barry Bonds, in that it seems likely that they still would have been very good even without the cheating.

That's why the Eagles SB win over NE was one of my favorite NFL games of all time.  Pederson knew that New England would some how find out, so they staged an entirely fake walk-through and used plays that they had never run in any game, most notably the sublime Philly Special.

Anyway, back to Cam.  At least we know Cam does not consider himself a camp arm--he's already working out with Sanu.  

Man I hope we have an NFL season in 2020!

11 hours ago, Boudewijn said:

I like the Seahawks, the fans not so much :) 

Actually the more I think about it the more I'm cool on this FF-wise and NFL-wise. He may have flashes but he's washed up.

8 hours ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Man I hope we have an NFL season in 2020!

damn right.  IMO 60/40 it doesn’t happen ...

On 6/29/2020 at 3:20 AM, BMcP said:

They already paid him way more than he’s worth - I wouldn’t rule it out.  

Man that’s such a crazy statement. He’s making less guaranteed money than career backups. Pats got a steal. 

• Like 4

On 6/30/2020 at 7:56 AM, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

All of which fell short and ended up as dissapointnents

Just like Derrick Henry’s first 3 NFL seasons.

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, Gmen07 said:

Man that’s such a crazy statement. He’s making less guaranteed money than career backups. Pats got a steal. 

If you assume he isn’t going to be the Pats starter for the season, I suppose you have a point.

P.S.  I believe most teams waste a ton of money on mediocre back-ups.  I’m not singling out the Patriots here even if he ends up somehow losing the starting job to Stidham.

Edited by BMcP