Rotoworld.com Forums

Cam Newton 2020 Outlook

11 minutes ago, jmcampbe11 said:

Newsflash. Jackson, Mahomes, Murray, and Allen can also carry a game with BOTH their arms and their legs and they're considerably younger than Newton. You can talk potential all you want, but Newton "literally" put up 11 fantasy points this week. I'm not willing to go as far as to say he's just a streaming option, but there's is no argument for him being better than Jackson, Mahomes, Murray, Allen and Prescott at this point. And I'd personally probably take Watson over him too. So that makes him 6th or 7th best fantasy quarterback AT BEST. 

Gotta throw Dak in there he has like 4 rush tds so far this year and that without the beat RT in the league and he throws for like 400 yards almost every game with 3-5 tds 

• Replies 509
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

BLIND SQUIRREL FINDS NUT. I shall now receive your accolades.

Drafted him as my starter, for $2.  Because I didn't let 2 games played in 2019 mean more to me than the 123 games played in 2011, '12, '13, '14, '15, '16, '17, and '18. This forum lives and dies on

Posted Images

1 minute ago, Brye said:

Gotta throw Dak in there he has like 4 rush tds so far this year and that without the beat RT in the league and he throws for like 400 yards almost every game with 3-5 tds 

Prescott is good, but even with the TDs I'm not sure I'd really qualify him as a running threat. Not like the others at least. He's only averaging about four rushing attempts a game. 

That said, he's still head and shoulders above Newton. The only people who think Newton is anything more than a low end top 10 QB are:

1) New England fans

2) Owners who claimed him off waivers in week one who are trying to justify (in their minds) all the terrible trades they've offered. Newton for Hunt, Newton for T. Hill, Newton for Kelce, etc. 

7 minutes ago, jmcampbe11 said:

Prescott is good, but even with the TDs I'm not sure I'd really qualify him as a running threat. Not like the others at least. He's only averaging about four rushing attempts a game. 

That said, he's still head and shoulders above Newton. The only people who think Newton is anything more than a low end top 10 QB are:

1) New England fans

2) Owners who claimed him off waivers in week one who are trying to justify (in their minds) all the terrible trades they've offered. Newton for Hunt, Newton for T. Hill, Newton for Kelce, etc. 

Yeah exactly 

You guys can debate about the lack of fantasy points Cam put up yesterday all you want, in reality he didn't need to do much aside from hand the ball off to his multiple RBs. Raiders couldn't stop the running game so NE kept cramming it down their throats all day. 

It wasn't a game that ended up having to rely on Cam running or passing, nor any WR making a big contribution. It was a wacky game where NE rushed the ball more times than I seem to remember and kept doing so because it worked and the Raiders weren't able to stop ot. 

I've watched every game and it seems to me the script is out the window for what to expect each week from any NE offensive player. You could be in a shootout with SEA, then a yawner like yesterday where they just run the ball, or even something in-between like the MIA game. Against KC I'm assuming it will be more like the SEA game, they aren't likely beating KC rushing the ball and having Burkhead put up video game numbers again. 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, jmcampbe11 said:

Newsflash. Jackson, Mahomes, Murray, and Allen can also carry a game with BOTH their arms and their legs and they're considerably younger than Newton. You can talk potential all you want, but Newton "literally" put up 11 fantasy points this week. I'm not willing to go as far as to say he's just a streaming option, but there's is no argument for him being better than Jackson, Mahomes, Murray, Allen and Prescott at this point. And I'd personally probably take Watson over him too. So that makes him 6th or 7th best fantasy quarterback AT BEST. 

Another terrible knee jerk reaction take.

• Like 2

1 bad day and people want to jump ship.  I'm use to the Cam hate around here, it's nothing new.

I'll be honest, yesterday Cam looked the worst so far.  I don't mean fantasy output, but I mean his on field play, it was night and day to what we saw vs SEA.

Having said that, if Cam takes 2 of the Burkhead Goal line plunges instead, no one says a word in this thread.

This is the Patriots, and Cam is one of their RBs.  Everything is game plan specific to the defense they're playing against, to exploit the mentality of their opponent.

Week 1 - They let Cam run wild (Defenses prepare all week to stop Cam's rushing game)
Week 2 - They let Cam throw 400 yards (Defenses prepare to stop Edelman, the pass, and Cam's running)
Week 3 - Cam is the decoy, Sony and Burkhead combine for 200+ yards and 3 TDs (Defenses now have to respect every aspect of the offense, because the Patriots have proven they can beat you any damn way they desire in any given week)

Let's not forget, the 2nd best tool Cam has, James White, has been out for the last 2 weeks, for personal issues, not health.

I'm not an NFL coach, but to me, this looks like Bill Bellichek sending a message to other teams.  I believe he feels responsible for the loss against SEA for the goal line call, because the defense knew it was coming.  So he's going above and beyond to establish this offense can beat you in multiple different ways.  Moving forward, teams will have to play them more and more honestly, which creates multiple opportunities for not only Cam, but the entire offense.

Their defense dominated the Raiders yesterday.  I think Bill knew they didn't want to get in a shootout with the Raiders, who just beat the Saints, who themselves had just beat Tom Brady.  The game plan was to shut down Waller, and kill the clock early and often, to go home before the Raiders could even get started.  This wasn't a game plan where Cam was in a position to succeed for fantasy purposes, but I don't have a crystal ball, and I can't predict what Bellichek will do ahead of time.  Once they had a comfortable lead, there's no point is charging Cam into dangerous runs to take unnecessary hits.  Let Burkhead do that.

If you want to rank a few QBs ahead of Cam... be my guest.  My 12th round Cam Newton and 2nd round <pos> will outscore your Patrick Mahomes and your 12th round <pos>.  Opportunity cost is what matters for returning draft day value.  You had better pray Mahomes/Dak/etc are better than Cam Newton, otherwise you look like an idiot drafting them 6-10 rounds earlier.  After a terrible week 3, Cam is currently QB6.  Mahomes and Jackson need to each score about 30 points tonight to surpass him, both of whom were drafted 10 rounds ahead of him. *Through 3 weeks, Yahoo Default Scoring.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
Just now, FFCollusion said:

1 bad day and people want to jump ship.  I'm use to the Cam hate around here, it's nothing new.

I'll be honest, yesterday Cam looked the worst so far.  I don't mean fantasy output, but I mean his on field play, it was night and day to what we saw vs SEA.

Having said that, if Cam takes 2 of the Burkhead Goal line plunges instead, no one says a word in this thread.

If you want to rank a few QBs ahead of Cam... be my guest.  My 12th round Cam Newton and 2nd round <pos> will outscore your Patrick Mahomes and your 12th round <pos>.  Opportunity cost is what matters for returning draft day value.  You had better pray Mahomes/Dak/etc are better than Cam Newton, otherwise you look like an idiot drafting them 6-10 rounds earlier.  After a terrible week 3, Cam is currently QB6.  Mahomes and Jackson need to each score about 30 points tonight to surpass him, both of whom were drafted 10 rounds ahead of him. *Through 3 weeks, Yahoo Default Scoring.

Cam Newton Smile GIF - CamNewton Smile Chilling GIFs

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, jmcampbe11 said:

Context is important.  I'll happily take Cam's production as a10th round pick over Mahomes/LJ's production as 2nd round picks.  

1 hour ago, IDGAFOS said:

Context is important.  I'll happily take Cam's production as a 10th round pick over Mahomes/LJ's production as 2nd round picks.  

Absolutely. Agree with that 100%. If you were fortunate enough to draft Cam late or claim him off waivers that's great. And if you feel comfortable enough with him to trade your other QB that's even better. Just don't try to sell Newton to me as a top five QB and make me be the one to take the risk. 

1 hour ago, jmcampbe11 said:

A knee jerk reaction? You mean like saying/thinking Newton's a top three QB after only two good games? 

I never said that. I said Cam is in a situation where he can be a top fantasy QB by seasons end. Your quote is beyond ridiculous and an absolutely terrible take.

there's is no argument for him being better than Jackson, Mahomes, Murray, Allen and Prescott at this point. And I'd personally probably take Watson over him too. So that makes him 6th or 7th best fantasy quarterback AT BEST. 

Absolutely. Agree with that 100%. If you were fortunate enough to draft Cam late or claim him off waivers that's great. And if you feel comfortable enough with him to trade your other QB that's even better. Just don't try to sell Newton to me as a top five QB and make me be the one to take the risk. 

A knee jerk reaction? You mean like saying/thinking Newton's a top three QB after only two good games? 

I think people in here were saying that he could be a top 5 fantasy QB. And I still think that's a possibility. He has historically been pretty much a lock at top 10 fantasy QB production aside from last year when he only played 2 games. And add in that he's playing for NE with good coaching and their willingness to let him run, I don't see why top 5 is outside the realm of possibilities.

Edited by NBatum88
46 minutes ago, NBatum88 said:

I think people in here were saying that he could be a top 5 fantasy QB. And I still think that's a possibility. He has historically been pretty much a lock at top 10 fantasy QB production aside from last year when he only played 2 games. And add in that he's playing for NE with good coaching and their willingness to let him run, I don't see why top 5 is outside the realm of possibilities.

It's a possibility, but gun to your head would you take him over Mahomes, Jackson, Murray, Prescott, Wilson or Allen right now? 

Not sure I liked what I saw tonight.  KC shut down the ultimate running qb.  Made him look bad.  That doesn't bode well for week 4 against Cam, who is obviously a similar qb but not as good.  

I thought KC would be a good match-up for Cam but I'm not so sure anymore.

3 minutes ago, kp96 said:

Not sure I liked what I saw tonight.  KC shut down the ultimate running qb.  Made him look bad.  That doesn't bode well for week 4 against Cam, who is obviously a similar qb but not as good.  

I thought KC would be a good match-up for Cam but I'm not so sure anymore.

Lamar had chances to make plays and missed his targets and/or they dropped passes. I do think Cam is going to be a tougher start next week, thinking about putting Burrow out there myself, but this wasn't 100% KC defense...

As stated before there was no need for Cam to throw against the raiders. They were slamming it down their throat with the run and they couldn't do anything about it. Wish he would've gotten a goal line td but those will come. He was the decoy this week, better days coming boys. Definitely a buy low candidate if possible. 

I bought low on an owner that already had Dak. I think Cam finishes top 7 at the very least and I am good with that. I think McDaniels & Billy will figure out more ways to get creative with Cam. Especially because they've never had a running threat at Quarterback I believe they're still adjusting their playbook. He will finish as the Patriots number 1 in rushing touchdowns. I for one am happy to have got him. 

• Like 1