dashoe

Cam Newton 2020 Outlook

2 minutes ago, DoYourJob said:

I won't know how to feel if he ends up in NE

Honestly I would feel great if I were you.

He probably had a Linsfranc, let's be honest.

If NE ends up getting him, I'd believe they had done their due diligence on his recovery and felt good about it.

He's proven to be the type of dude when healthy to carry a group of replacement level skills position guys.

How many times did we see them run a QB sneak on 4th and short with an advanced age Brady?

Seems like a natural fit.

3 hours ago, g1sk8terz said:

Bears?¬†ūüĎÄ

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, JE7HorseGod said:

If NE ends up getting him, I'd believe they had done their due diligence on his recovery and felt good about it.

He's proven to be the type of dude when healthy to carry a group of replacement level skills position guys.

How many times did we see them run a QB sneak on 4th and short with an advanced age Brady?

How much does a healthy Newton still run though? I think I would feel better about his fantasy outlook if he lands with the Chargers.

2 hours ago, Evincar said:

How much does a healthy Newton still run though? I think I would feel better about his fantasy outlook if he lands with the Chargers.

Given the investment in Bulaga, I think they're looking for a lefty.

Possibly one who played at Alabama.

Posted (edited)
On 3/18/2020 at 2:00 PM, JE7HorseGod said:

Cam is a Bottom 3 QB in the NFL at the moment. He doesn't fit anywhere. The Panthers decided that TEDDY BRIDGEWATER was a better option at QB. The Patriots and Bill Belichick have 0 interest in him. They're not idiots.

Cam's starting QB days are over. He sucks, period - This is not even debatable.

Edited by euphoriahbo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, euphoriahbo said:

Cam is a Bottom 3 QB in the NFL at the moment. He doesn't fit anywhere. The Panthers decided that TEDDY BRIDGEWATER was a better option at QB. The Patriots and Bill Belichick have 0 interest in him. They're not idiots.

I don't find that type of stubborn outlook to be beneficial to fantasy football or really any walk of life.

We're talking about a guy who as recently as 2018 was the 13th ranked QB in fantasy points scored in some formats.  In 2017 he was the second best.

He was playing with a foot injury last year,we've seen athletes recover from that before.  Kevin Durant had a Jones fracture in 2014 and won MVP since then.

If dropping the mic and saying "no debate, nuff said" makes you feel better about your decision to write him off, cool, glad that's working for you.

But no I don't agree.  He's 30.  He's not dead.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, JE7HorseGod said:

I don't find that type of stubborn outlook to be beneficial to fantasy football or really any walk of life.

We're talking about a guy who as recently as 2018 was the 13th ranked QB in fantasy points scored in some formats.  In 2017 he was the second best.

He was playing with a foot injury last year,we've seen athletes recover from that before.  Kevin Durant had a Jones fracture in 2014 and won MVP since then.

If dropping the mic and saying "no debate, nuff said" makes you feel better about your decision to write him off, cool, glad that's working for you.

But no I don't agree.  He's 30.  He's not dead.

He's not dead, but his arm is.

2 minutes ago, MJJ28 said:

He's not dead, but his arm is.

Guess we'll see.  I'm staying open minded.  If he ends up with a starting gig, sounds like it'll be pretty cheap to find out in fantasy terms.

2 hours ago, euphoriahbo said:

I think that is the wrong take. The problem with Cam is not that he sucks but that he is not healthy to play at a high level for a full season. 

Cam has not been healthy for 3yrs. 

1 hour ago, dashoe said:

This. Unfortunately his version of not being healthy makes him incapable of running or hitting the broad side of a barn.

29 minutes ago, sSektor said:

This. Unfortunately his version of not being healthy makes him incapable of running or hitting the broad side of a barn.

3tqrm7.jpg

In 2018 he was 9th in the league in completion percentage and ran for 488 yards.

Basically what I'm finding in this thread is that the two games he played last year is informing some folks' opinions that he is washed.

Maybe that's the case, but saying he's been hurt for three years and the result of that is that he's horribly inaccurate and doesn't run doesn't jive with the numbers.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, JE7HorseGod said:

In 2018 he was 9th in the league in completion percentage and ran for 488 yards.

Basically what I'm finding in this thread is that the two games he played last year is informing some folks' opinions that he is washed.

Maybe that's the case, but saying he's been hurt for three years and the result of that is that he's horribly inaccurate and doesn't run doesn't jive with the numbers.

You can trace the entire drop in his production which would also include throwing accuracy, to his injuries.

I'm not sure why that is even debateableūü§®

Cam's inaccuracy issues have been an overblown narrative, I recall years ago there were several pieces written to show that statistically the perception did not align with the reality when you factored in the playcalling,  the types of throws he was forced to make, the inability for the wr's to get separation/make catches(benjamin+funchess). I think statistically his most accurate season as a passer was when Norv took over as OC and the playcalling was more short passes to CMC vs the play action deep jump balls that were the bread and butter of the passing attack before Norv

So if the point was Cam¬†was considered inaccurate as a passer before his injuries, that is a fair assessment but it's indisputable that he became a less accurate passer when injured. If you watched the games you could see he was struggling with his throwing motion and couldnt make any pass past 5yds¬†ūüėČ

He's going to end up on the Chargers. The only reason it hasn't happened yet is because teams aren't able to perform medicals on him.

2 hours ago, dashoe said:

I think that is the wrong take. The problem with Cam is not that he sucks but that he is not healthy to play at a high level for a full season. 

Considering health impacts performance, its kind of the same thing.

Can't blame a forward-thinking franchise for questioning Cam as a long-term solution at QB

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, predator_05 said:

Considering health impacts performance, its kind of the same thing.

Can't blame a forward-thinking franchise for questioning Cam as a long-term solution at QB

And this is why he was released and why no one has signed him, they dont trust his health. No one trusted  Cm's replacement, Bridgewaters health until he stuck it out in NO for 2yrs as a backup and showed everyone he was a capable starting QB

Edited by dashoe

Just now, paulwall29 said:

The only reason it hasn't happened yet is because teams aren't able to perform medicals on him.

I could definitely see this being a hindrance to the Panthers efforts to trade him.

I'm not sure about the Chargers though, I kinda think they are pointing themselves towards Tagliovoa.  They made right tackle the priority with Bulaga despite still not having a left tackle, indicating to me the possibility that they want a lefty.

2 minutes ago, JE7HorseGod said:

I could definitely see this being a hindrance to the Panthers efforts to trade him.

I'm not sure about the Chargers though, I kinda think they are pointing themselves towards Tagliovoa.  They made right tackle the priority with Bulaga despite still not having a left tackle, indicating to me the possibility that they want a lefty.

Why would signing Cam stop them from drafting a QB? The Panthers blundered their chance to trade him and will end up releasing him. Cam will have to sign a 1 year prove it deal with a team if he wants the chance to start. Chargers need to sell tickets and build for the future and signing Cam to a one year deal and drafting a QB accomplishes both.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, JE7HorseGod said:

They won't be able to trade Cam. The panthers locked in that certainty  when they signed Bridgewater.

Every team now knows the panthers will be forced to release Cam and the remainder of his contract; there is zero incentive to be a trading partner.  Pick him up for peanuts after the carolina contract is terminated.

The only issue with the chargers is they still have Tyrod so it's just a question of how much do they believe in Tyrod as a starter over the potential of having Cam who is a big name draw and personality to sell tickets in a SHARED stadium in one of the largest media marketsūüėČ

Edited by dashoe

8 minutes ago, paulwall29 said:

Why would signing Cam stop them from drafting a QB? The Panthers blundered their chance to trade him and will end up releasing him. Cam will have to sign a 1 year prove it deal with a team if he wants the chance to start. Chargers need to sell tickets and build for the future and signing Cam to a one year deal and drafting a QB accomplishes both.

Considering they already have Tyrod to carry a clipboard and make a few starts it seems like a waste of resources.  Better served using the cap money elsewhere that another vet QB if that's the intention.

Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, JE7HorseGod said:

Considering they already have Tyrod to carry a clipboard and make a few starts it seems like a waste of resources.  Better served using the cap money elsewhere that another vet QB if that's the intention.

Cam would not be holding a clipboard if he is healthy to start the season alongside a rookie for the Chargers. Furthermore, there is a chance that Cam actually looks good and all of a sudden becomes a more valuable asset than when they attained him. They can sign him to a 2 year deal with only a year's worth of guaranteed money and move him in the offseason for a draft pick or player to a QB needy team in the offseason--the Bucs, Bears, Colts, Saints, Jags, Steelers, Raiders and Broncos are all teams that could be looking for a new QB next offseason. There will most certainly be a market for Cam next year if he signs a one year deal this year and plays well. Trust me, I'm not saying this is what I would do if I were running the franchise but I also don't think it's a terrible move, and I think it is likely to happen.

Edited by paulwall29

1 minute ago, paulwall29 said:

Cam would not be holding a clipboard if he is healthy to start the season alongside a rookie for the Chargers. Furthermore, there is a chance that Cam actually looks good and all of a sudden becomes a more valuable asset than when they attained him and can be moved for a draft pick or player to a QB needy team in the offseason--the Bucs, Bears, Colts, Saints, Jags, Steelers, Raiders and Broncos are all teams that could be looking for a new QB next offseason. There will most certainly be a market for Cam next year if he signs a one year deal this year and plays well. Trust me, I'm not saying this is what I would do if I were running the franchise but I also don't think it's a terrible move, and I think it is likely to happen.

You very well might be right.

The Chargers tend to make some, well, puzzling decisions at times.

It looks like the Pats are saying they are set with Stidham and Hoyer, so my initial prediction of Newton to the Pats appears dead wrong.

Guess we'll see.  And of course on the topic of puzzling decisions, we could always see something crazy like the Redskins entering the picture, lord knows nothing says Dan Snyder like drafting the QB of the future one year, giving him like 8 games to develop and then throwing in the towel for a shiny free agent.

2 hours ago, JE7HorseGod said:

Being injured and terrible since the end of 2018 isn't ideal at all. Maybe he can get back to full health but we don't know what that would even look like for Cam at this point.