dashoe

Cam Newton 2020 Outlook

Teams will not say they are not signing Cam because he dresses like a lady now.  But they will not sign him because he dresses like a lady now.

47 minutes ago, euphoriahbo said:

NFL career over.

The most overrated player of our generation.

2015 was the outlier.

To be fair he's basically never had an elite WR to work with. Steve Smith and Olsen only went so far. Kelvin became chunky. Moore just started breaking out after Cams injuries.

Just now, SharkSwimmer said:

Teams will not say they are not signing Cam because he dresses like a lady now.  But they will not sign him because he dresses like a lady now.

LOL.

I'm sure that's a part of some of the backlash.

Whatevs.  He can wear a sundress and flower hat if he's healthy and plays like he used to as far as I'm concerned, and I'll draft him and gladly cheer his sundress and flower hat wearing butt on as people grumble during the press conference.

1 minute ago, JE7HorseGod said:

LOL.

Whatevs.  He can wear a sundress and flower hat if he's healthy and plays like he used to as far as I'm concerned, and I'll draft him and gladly cheer his sundress and flower hat wearing butt on as people grumble during the press conference.

I would do the same if he could still play.  But the NFL franchises are owned and run by 80-year old billionaire white men.  They may see the world differently.  You saw what a decline in skills and quite tepid social stands did for Kaepernick.

Just now, SharkSwimmer said:

I would do the same if he could still play.  But the NFL franchises are owned and run by 80-year old billionaire white men.  They may see the world differently.  You saw what a decline in skills and quite tepid social stands did for Kaepernick.

Could be.

Although Cam's peak was a lot longer than Kaepernick's, and his perceived transgressions against societal norms probably slighter.

What could hurt him is teams' lack of ability to check him out medically more so than getting Kaepernicked IMO.

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, JE7HorseGod said:

LOL.

You mean being a running back first and not being able to hit the broad side of a barn with an NFL pass when tasked with actually being a QB and going through ::gasp:: progressions?

Edited by ThreadKiller

6 minutes ago, ThreadKiller said:

You mean being a running back first and not being able to hit the broad side of a barn with an NFL pass when tasked with actually being a QB and going through ::gasp:: progressions?

Well Cam played well enough to beat your beloved Patriots during his only two tries. 

Best believe Belichick took notes.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, ThreadKiller said:

not being able to hit the broad side of a barn

Literally word for word what was posted yesterday about him.

Just fascinating.  In 2018, the last year he played in any significant fashion, he was 9th in the league in completion percentage at 67.9%  https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2018/passing.htm

I'll let you read some of the names below him, I doubt you'd give them the same description.  His career completion percentage prior to that year was around 60%, which, I'll admit, ain't Drew Brees, but y'all barns are super small.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
40 minutes ago, sSektor said:

To be fair he's basically never had an elite WR to work with. Steve Smith and Olsen only went so far. Kelvin became chunky. Moore just started breaking out after Cams injuries.

Meh its not like he had nothing, plus he always had at worst a solid defense. Lafell and Smith's numbers went up the season after leaving Cam.

Edited by Evincar

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, JE7HorseGod said:

Literally word for word what was posted yesterday about him.

Just fascinating.  In 2018, the last year he played in any significant fashion, he was 9th in the league in completion percentage at 67.9%  https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2018/passing.htm

I'll let you read some of the names below him, I doubt you'd give them the same description.  His career completion percentage prior to that year was around 60%, which, I'll admit, ain't Drew Brees, but y'all barns are super small.

Forgive me in that I use more context when grading a QB's accuracy other than simply completion percentage. If he dumps off to McCaffery for 11 of his 20 completions and each pass travels 8-10 ft while he's on his way to a 75% completion for the game, does that mean he's accurate?

Seems like you don't factor in important context when telling me my "barns are super small." I'd argue that your criteria/standard for what you deem an accurate QB is extremely low and without context.

Come on, man.

Edited by ThreadKiller

Just now, ThreadKiller said:

Forgive me in that I use more context when grading a QB's accuracy other than simply completion percentage. If he dumps off to McCaffery for 11 of his 20 completions and each pass travels 10 ft while he's on his way to a 75% completion for the game, does that mean he's accurate?

Come on, man.

If that's what the game plan calls for, absolutely.

For the past three seasons Drew Brees has been near the bottom of the league in air yards per attempt.

https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/stats/passing/2017/all#average-intended-yards

https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/stats/passing/2018/all#average-intended-yards

https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/stats/passing/2019/all#average-intended-yards

Do we ding him for being "woefully inaccurate if not for 10 foot dump offs to Kamara?"

Heck no.  That's what the offense calls for.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, JE7HorseGod said:

If that's what the game plan calls for, absolutely.

For the past three seasons Drew Brees has been near the bottom of the league in air yards per attempt.

https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/stats/passing/2017/all#average-intended-yards

https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/stats/passing/2018/all#average-intended-yards

https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/stats/passing/2019/all#average-intended-yards

Do we ding him for being "woefully inaccurate if not for 10 foot dump offs to Kamara?"

Heck no.  That's what the offense calls for.

What? I didn't criticize the game plan. If that's what works, you do it. What I do have a problem with is people who fail to include any context and just use empty numbers in order to strengthen their arguments while criticizing opposing viewpoints. You used his completion percentage as a way to claim he is accurate. But you failed to include context. Any QB can pad their completion percentage stats with dump offs. Drew Brees is one who does this as well. However Brees is also accurate in the intermediate game while Cam Newton most certainly is NOT.

You said "do we ding..." referring to Brees. I have said for YEARS that his completion percentage has been padded. Whenever people talk about his records, they fail to mention the context around it.

Id rather actually have Stidham play qb for the pats over the Pats signing Newton. Newton is NOT a Team player.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, ThreadKiller said:

What? I didn't criticize the game plan. If that's what works, you do it. What I do have a problem with is people who fail to include any context and just use empty numbers in order to strengthen their arguments while criticizing opposing viewpoints. You used his completion percentage as a way to claim he is accurate. But you failed to include context. Any QB can pad their completion percentage stats with dump offs. Drew Brees is one who does this as well. However Brees is also accurate in the intermediate game while Cam Newton most certainly is NOT.

You said "do we ding..." referring to Brees. I have said for YEARS that his completion percentage has been padded. Whenever people talk about his records, they fail to mention the context around it.

Listen, you made the claim that he was "a running back first and not being able to hit the broad side of a barn with an NFL pass when tasked with actually being a QB."

I'm just saying that if 67.9% of the time during the last healthy 14 games he played he did "hit broad side of a barn with an NFL pass."

Teams obviously knew McCaffrey was a threat out of the backfield quickly who can make moves the types of moves to burn them and he was still accurate enough to find him, for him to make the types of plays that got him 867 yards receiving, etc.

I'm not saying that Cam Newton is the most accurate passer that ever lived.  But this "broad side of the barn" crap is equally inaccurate IMO.

Cam was a playmaker who helped his team win a lot of football games and helped a lot of fantasy owners win their matchups when he was healthy.

Is he healthy now?  IDK.  Guess we'll see.  But it seems like there are a lot of myths and very high standard being perpetuated about what he should be and not a lot of attention given to what he actually was, which was kicking a lot of defense's butts on the regular.

I'ma just leave this thread at that.  If y'all want to keep the hateraid party going feel free.  We'll see what happens in September.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, JE7HorseGod said:

Listen, you made the claim that he was "a running back first and not being able to hit the broad side of a barn with an NFL pass when tasked with actually being a QB."

I'm just saying that if 67.9% of the time during the last healthy 14 games he played he did "hit broad side of a barn with an NFL pass."

Teams obviously knew McCaffrey was a threat out of the backfield quickly who can make moves the types of moves to burn them and he was still accurate enough to find him, for him to make the types of plays that got him 867 yards receiving, etc.

I'm not saying that Cam Newton is the most accurate passer that ever lived.  But this "broad side of the barn" crap is equally inaccurate IMO.

Cam was a playmaker who helped his team win a lot of football games and helped a lot of fantasy owners win their matchups when he was healthy.

Is he healthy now?  IDK.  Guess we'll see.  But it seems like there are a lot of myths and very high standard being perpetuated about what he should be and not a lot of attention given to what he actually was, which was kicking a lot of defense's butts on the regular.

I'ma just leave this thread at that.  If y'all want to keep the hateraid party going feel free.  We'll see what happens in September.

I don't think he's an accurate passer. It was clear as day that my description of not being able to hit a barn was exaggerating. You took it otherwise and that's fine.

You think he's an accurate QB based on 67.9 as you mentioned while ignoring all other context. I don't think he's an accurate passer. Lets agree to disagree.

Edited by ThreadKiller

Posted (edited)

In his 7 full seasons since his rookie deal (pre-2019), Cam Newton:

1. Started at least 14 games in all 7 seasons (1 of 6 QBs)

2.  Threw less than 17 INTs in all 7 seasons (1 of 5 QBs)

3.  Ran for 300+ yds in all 7 seasons (only QB)

4.  150+ pass TDs & 40+ rush TDs (only QB)

He’s an amazing QB - and athlete - when healthy.  I’ll be very interested to see where he lands.

Edited by BMcP
  • Like 4

10 minutes ago, BMcP said:

In his 7 full seasons since his rookie deal (pre-2019), Cam Newton:

1. Started at least 14 games in all 7 seasons (1 of 6 QBs)

2.  Threw less than 17 INTs in all 7 seasons (1 of 5 QBs)

3.  Ran for 300+ yds in all 7 seasons (only QB)

4.  150+ pass TDs & 40+ rush TDs (only QB)

He’s an amazing QB - and athlete - when healthy.  I’ll be very interested to see where he lands.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/released-cam-newton-passes-physical-is-healthy-and-hungrier-than-ever-for-next-opportunity-per-report/

For whatever it is worth.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, euphoriahbo said:

NFL career over.

2015 was the outlier.

Idiotic take.

• Like 4

I think he could ball out in the right situation. LA, Oakland, or even a place like New Englad. He needs a system built around him and Rivera just couldn't maintain one.

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, euphoriahbo said:

NFL career over.

2015 was the outlier.

Of the top of my head guys like Flacco, Luck, Eli and Gore are pretty overrated. I never liked Cam and his antics but he was a difference maker in fantasy and real life.

Edited by Evincar
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, euphoriahbo said:

NFL career over.

2015 was the outlier.

Elroypedro, is that you?

• Haha 1

Cam Newton was one of the most dangerous offensive players in the NFL when he was in his prime.  I hope he gets healthy and has a chance to play for another team.  I am not confident it is going to happen.  There are only 32 starting QB jobs available on planet earth.  And most of them are very much claimed.

A healthy Cam with evil genius Belichick behind the curtain is, quite frankly, a terrifying specter for the rest of the NFL...

• Like 1