dashoe

Cam Newton 2020 Outlook

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, SharkSwimmer said:

A healthy Cam with evil genius Belichick behind the curtain is, quite frankly, a terrifying specter for the rest of the NFL...

 

 I think he would be a better fit on the chargers, Detroit, Miami, Redskins,Bengals or Denver as places he could win outright in camp or takeover during the season.

Cam is a big personality, much bigger than Gronk's craziness (and there were reports early in his career how that party boy persona conflicted with the organization) I just don't see him meshing well with the Patriots culture.

 I know a personal friend of Cam newton and I was told the Cam we see with the fancy clothes and head scarves is the real Cam and he won't tone it down for anyone.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SharkSwimmer said:

A healthy Cam with evil genius Belichick behind the curtain is, quite frankly, a terrifying specter for the rest of the NFL...

The results, if they do decide to hitch their wagon to a QB who has thrown for a grand total of 14 yards in the NFL and frankly was best described as "servicable" in college and pass on a guy who played at an all pro level with Larry, Curley and Moe at WR, been to the Super Bowl, three time Pro Bowler, etc, will be fascinating.

I'm all for it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, dashoe said:

 

 I think he would be a better fit on the chargers, Detroit, Miami, Redskins,Bengals or Denver as places he could win outright in camp or takeover during the season.

Cam is a big personality, much bigger than Gronk's craziness (and there were reports early in his career how that party boy persona conflicted with the organization) I just don't see him meshing well with the Patriots culture.

 I know a personal friend of Cam newton and I was told the Cam we see with the fancy clothes and head scarves is the real Cam and he won't tone it down for anyone.

 

 

 

Cam toned it down when the previous owner wanted Cam to maintain a clean cut(no dreadlocks) + he was wearing regular clothes.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well now Cam has announced that he willing to sign as a backup QB.  And yet...crickets.  Even Jameis Winston has found a gig by now, such as it is.  Is Cam actually done in the NFL?  I think the answer may be "yes."

Cam is a huge distraction, a potential locker room divider, may never be back to his peak form due to injuries, and dresses like a lady.  It might all just be too much for teams at this point.  

Maybe Florio will stop bringing up Kaep every time there is a qb opening now, and start bringing up Cam's name instead?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Well now Cam has announced that he willing to sign as a backup QB.  And yet...crickets.  Even Jameis Winston has found a gig by now, such as it is.  Is Cam actually done in the NFL?  I think the answer may be "yes."

Cam is a huge distraction, a potential locker room divider, may never be back to his peak form due to injuries, and dresses like a lady.  It might all just be too much for teams at this point.  

Maybe Florio will stop bringing up Kaep every time there is a qb opening now, and start bringing up Cam's name instead?

 

Your leaving out one variable.....injuries.  We both know somebody significant will be out due to a season ending injury.

 

How many QBs will go down this year is unknown.  The more that are injured, the higher the chances, Cam will get a call to be signed.

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Maybe Florio will stop bringing up Kaep every time there is a qb opening now, and start bringing up Cam's name instead?

doubtful, Cam can actually play QB

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Well dozens of QBs got injured during the period that Florio was stumping daily for Kaep, but they brought Jay Cutler back out of the booth rather than sign the former 49er.  

I wonder if Cam has reached the "headache outweighs the positives" phase.

Edited by SharkSwimmer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, lolcopter said:

doubtful, Cam can actually play QB

Kaep could do, in a system tailored to his strengths that was unique to him and not particularly applicable to standard quarterback play.  Isn't that at least partially true of Newton as well?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, lolcopter said:

doubtful, Cam can actually play QB

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

great video from three years ago, my dude. maybe he can finally turn his career around with all those stats

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Well dozens of QBs got injured during the period that Florio was stumping daily for Kaep, but they brought Jay Cutler back out of the booth rather than sign the former 49er.  

I wonder if Cam has reached the "headache outweighs the positives" phase.

What’s the headache? Not sure I’ve seen that from Cam. Seems to be a good teammate and liked by team and former coaching staff. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

His NFL career is over at the age of 30.

 

32 out of 32 NFL teams say:

 

"No thanks. We want no part of you on our team"

 

Speaks volumes about his ability to play QB in 2020 - He is incapable of playing the QB position in the NFL. Most overrated player of our generation and it's isn't particularly close.

Edited by euphoriahbo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, euphoriahbo said:

His NFL career is over at the age of 30.

 

32 out of 32 NFL teams say:

 

"No thanks. We want no part of you on our team"

 

Speaks volumes about his ability to play QB in 2020 - He is incapable of playing the QB position in the NFL. Most overrated player of our generation and it's isn't particularly close.

Until Cam signs somewhere, and I am skeptical that happens, the above post is entirely correct.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Until Cam signs somewhere, and I am skeptical that happens, the above post is entirely correct.

 

Wow man. Way to cover your bases here....entirely correct.

Time will tell where he's valued when starters start to go down.

I also wonder if he had the chance to work out in front of teams, like any other normal year, would he be employed right now?  Remember, he wants a substantial paycheck given his past performance.

 

That could have been a significant factor given the fact teams couldn't bring him in to evaluate him.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, theSPANKER said:

 

Wow man. Way to cover your bases here....entirely correct.

Time will tell where he's valued when starters start to go down.

I also wonder if he had the chance to work out in front of teams, like any other normal year, would he be employed right now?  Remember, he wants a substantial paycheck given his past performance.

 

That could have been a significant factor given the fact teams couldn't bring him in to evaluate him.

 

 

That has been said by the talking heads on NFLN repeatedly, and I believe it's true as well. Basically, if teams can't exam him in person, they aren't going to take the risk (because to your point he is going to want big money along with being signed as the defacto starter). 

If/when things loosen up and teams can have players in for visits/physicals, that's when there should be some movement on the Cam Newton front. 

Also, Peter King was on NFL Live just a little while ago talking about the importance of having a quality back-up this upcoming season (more so than in any other "normal" year), so what could end up happening is Newton having to accept a back-up gig somewhere for less money. 

Only time will tell.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, theSPANKER said:

 

Wow man. Way to cover your bases here....entirely correct.

Time will tell where he's valued when starters start to go down.

I also wonder if he had the chance to work out in front of teams, like any other normal year, would he be employed right now?  Remember, he wants a substantial paycheck given his past performance.

 

That could have been a significant factor given the fact teams couldn't bring him in to evaluate him.

 

To clarify, I believe no NFL team will sign Cam Newton this year or ever again, availability of in-person workouts or no.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

To clarify, I believe no NFL team will sign Cam Newton this year or ever again, availability of in-person workouts or no.  

 

And exactly why is that?  Because he's a washed up talent wise due to injuries OR is it because (as you've stated) he's a cancer in the locker room OR

Both?

 

You do realize the odds are against you here right? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, theSPANKER said:

 

And exactly why is that?  Because he's a washed up talent wise due to injuries OR is it because (as you've stated) he's a cancer in the locker room OR

Both?

 

You do realize the odds are against you here right? 

There is only one spot on an NFL team for Cam Newton--alpha dog starting QB.  He was the NFL MVP not long ago, and he has the (justifiable) ego to go with it.

And yet, due to physical injury and eccentric behavior, he has not been able to get the results on the field, for several seasons in a row now, that would justify the accomodations an NFL team would now have to make to bring him in.

And I loved watching Cam Newton play.  He is one of my favorite players of the 2010-2019 decade.  But at this point I believe his potential upside, the unlikely chance he recaptures his 2015 form, is outweighed by the downside.  Injuries have sapped his once peerless athletic ability, and his emotional stability also appears to be less than solid.  So I don't think any NFL teams will take the plunge.  That Ron Rivera brought Kyle Allen to Washington instead of Cam speaks volumes.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Combination of many things at play here, most already mentioned I'm sure

  • Health is #1- risky to count on him to start, which takes certain teams out of the mix
  • Leaguewide QB talent, counting the incoming rookie class.  By the time he was released in late March, the game of musical chairs was almost over and more teams than not had their 1 and 2's set.   
  • A high number of teams with developing QB rooms.  You dont bring a former MVP in when your recent first round pick is going into year 2 or 3, that can stunt growth and threaten the alpha status you want your young QB to reach.  
  • Salary- what's he really going to earn if his only real options are pure backup gigs to established vets?  Is it worth it to even try, in hopes that he gets some playing time?  It might be better to sit and wait for an opportunity.   He can't reestablish himself and earn another decent contract as a backup, and that's all that's out there right now. 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SharkSwimmer said:

There is only one spot on an NFL team for Cam Newton--alpha dog starting QB.  He was the NFL MVP not long ago, and he has the (justifiable) ego to go with it.

And yet, due to physical injury and eccentric behavior, he has not been able to get the results on the field, for several seasons in a row now, that would justify the accomodations an NFL team would now have to make to bring him in.

And I loved watching Cam Newton play.  He is one of my favorite players of the 2010-2019 decade.  But at this point I believe his potential upside, the unlikely chance he recaptures his 2015 form, is outweighed by the downside.  Injuries have sapped his once peerless athletic ability, and his emotional stability also appears to be less than solid.  So I don't think any NFL teams will take the plunge.  That Ron Rivera brought Kyle Allen to Washington instead of Cam speaks volumes.

 

Cam will find a job most likely as a backup shooting down your notion he will never play again in the NFL. I think the odds favor him, provided he can pass a physical of course, only because he's willing to accept a backup role.

 

https://www.si.com/nfl/panthers/news/cam-newton-willing-to-accept-backup-role

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BrianM said:

Combination of many things at play here, most already mentioned I'm sure

  • Health is #1- risky to count on him to start, which takes certain teams out of the mix
  • Leaguewide QB talent, counting the incoming rookie class.  By the time he was released in late March, the game of musical chairs was almost over and more teams than not had their 1 and 2's set.   
  • A high number of teams with developing QB rooms.  You dont bring a former MVP in when your recent first round pick is going into year 2 or 3, that can stunt growth and threaten the alpha status you want your young QB to reach.  
  • Salary- what's he really going to earn if his only real options are pure backup gigs to established vets?  Is it worth it to even try, in hopes that he gets some playing time?  It might be better to sit and wait for an opportunity.   He can't reestablish himself and earn another decent contract as a backup, and that's all that's out there right now. 

 

 

Point 5, we have to mention it: his larger-than-life personality. Love him or hate him (and on the field I've generally been a fan of him), this is a guy who needs a considerable amount of locker room space. Not really backup material until he tones it down several notches.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Somehow he is gonna be 2020s Ryan tannehil and people will somehow be surprised that cam newton is good at football.

Edited by Stonej14

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jaguars would be a good fit for Cam, Minshew isn't anything special. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Rush2112 said:

Jaguars would be a good fit for Cam, Minshew isn't anything special. 

If the Jags sign Cam Newton, it will send the following message to Gardner Minshew:  "You suck."  So I would be very surprised to see it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

If the Jags sign Cam Newton, it will send the following message to Gardner Minshew:  "You suck."  So I would be very surprised to see it.

 

LOL now you can speak for the Jaqs......come on man...just stop okay?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...