dashoe

Cam Newton 2020 Outlook

2 hours ago, theSPANKER said:

Cam will find a job most likely as a backup shooting down your notion he will never play again in the NFL. I think the odds favor him, provided he can pass a physical of course, only because he's willing to accept a backup role.

https://www.si.com/nfl/panthers/news/cam-newton-willing-to-accept-backup-role

Everyone is assuming Cam will be signed by an NFL team as soon as he can take a physical.  But then how did Dalton and Winston get signed with new teams?  Tom Brady took a physical for Tampa without problems.  These are quarterbacks now signed with totally new teams.

I really don't think it is about taking a physical.

1 minute ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Everyone is assuming Cam will be signed by an NFL team as soon as he can take a physical.  But then how did Dalton and Winston get signed with new teams?  Tom Brady took a physical for Tampa without problems.  These are quarterbacks now signed with totally new teams.

I really don't think it is about taking a physical.

Were any of the above QBs rehabbing a long-term injury? 

On the contrary, it's all about the injury (his injury history) and how much he wants to get paid.  If he checks out then it comes down to how much a team is willing to dish out knowing he is a injury risk but he could be worth it IF he stays healthy.

IF....IF.....this was a normal year, I could easily envisioned a team signing him to a one-year prove it deal as a starter but this isn't a normal year and the QBs your comparing him to (his situation) is like comparing apples to oranges.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, theSPANKER said:

LOL now you can speak for the Jaqs......come on man...just stop okay?

I don't speak for the Jags but I do understand football a little bit.  Actions speak louder than words.  Quarterback is different than any other position in any other sport.  A front office just cannot bring in a former league MVP to back up a second year player if they want that second year player to have a chance to succeed.  Jags sign Cam, they instantly create a split locker room.  Before a single day of training camp, preseason, etc.

I don't speak for the Jags but I do understand football a little bit.  Actions speak louder than words.  Quarterback is different than any other position in any other sport.  A front office just cannot bring in a former league MVP to back up a second year player if they want that second year player to have a chance to succeed.  Jags sign Cam, they instantly create a split locker room.  Before a single day of training camp, preseason, etc.

And you know the locker room has the full backing of Minshew as the starter when he was demoted behind Foles starting over him last year right?

The locker room will back-up who-ever the organization brings in.  I don't buy it will divide the locker room because Minshew hasn't solidified he's a proven starter yet.  

4 minutes ago, theSPANKER said:

Were any of the above QBs rehabbing a long-term injury? 

On the contrary, it's all about the injury (his injury history) and how much he wants to get paid.  If he checks out then it comes down to how much a team is willing to dish out knowing he is a injury risk but he could be worth it IF he stays healthy.

IF....IF.....this was a normal year, I could easily envisioned a team signing him to a one-year prove it deal as a starter but this isn't a normal year and the QBs your comparing him to (his situation) is like comparing apples to oranges.

Well in this case I am talking about free agent quarterbacks who switched teams because they got released by their old teams or had their contracts expire.  So it is apples to apples.  Except Cam is still without a team.

So what about Cam?  He says he is ready to prove everyone wrong.  So why have no teams asked him to take a physical?  I think I know the answer.

Well in this case I am talking about free agent quarterbacks who switched teams because they got released by their old teams or had their contracts expire.  So it is apples to apples.  Except Cam is still without a team.

So what about Cam?  He says he is ready to prove everyone wrong.  So why have no teams asked him to take a physical?  I think I know the answer.

Then why keep us all in the dark?  Here, maybe this bit of info will shed some light on it:

• NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports free agent Cam Newton is willing to consider offers to be a backup quarterback. 

Soon-to-be 31-year-old Newton should be a starter, but there are not any starting jobs left. A glutted quarterback market produced very soft deals for fellow starters-turned-No. 2s Jameis Winston and Andy Dalton. Someone should have signed Newton long before the draft, but concerns about his health and the inability of teams to conduct physicals amidst the COVID-19 pandemic undoubtedly worked against him. "Backup Cam Newton" is a strange world, but the one we will be living in this fall.  

May 7, 2020, 2:40 PM ET

•  

4 minutes ago, theSPANKER said:

And you know the locker room has the full backing of Minshew as the starter when he was demoted behind Foles starting over him last year right?

The locker room will back-up who-ever the organization brings in.  I don't buy it will divide the locker room because Minshew hasn't solidified he's a proven starter yet.  

Which is why the Jags will not bring in Cam if they want Minshew to have a chance to prove he can be the guy.  At least one of their players has already publicly expressed preference for Cam over Minshew, namely Fournette.  How many have done so privately?  Or will, the first time Minshew has a down game?  And what about the fans, if any are allowed to attend?  

3 minutes ago, theSPANKER said:

Then why keep us all in the dark?  Here, maybe this bit of info will shed some light on it:

• NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports free agent Cam Newton is willing to consider offers to be a backup quarterback. 

Soon-to-be 31-year-old Newton should be a starter, but there are not any starting jobs left. A glutted quarterback market produced very soft deals for fellow starters-turned-No. 2s Jameis Winston and Andy Dalton. Someone should have signed Newton long before the draft, but concerns about his health and the inability of teams to conduct physicals amidst the COVID-19 pandemic undoubtedly worked against him. "Backup Cam Newton" is a strange world, but the one we will be living in this fall.  

May 7, 2020, 2:40 PM ET

•  

Number one:  Never use a "scoop" from Ian Rapoport to prove a point.  Rapoport is a useful idiot because he will repeat, uncritically, anything an inside source tells him.

Number two: teams did conduct physicals during the Covid19 crisis.  Namely, Tom Brady's.  And DeAndre Hopkins.  And David Johnson.  And probably every single one of the dozens of free agents who were signed so far this offseason.

Number three:  what teams wanted to sign Cam but didn't because they could not conduct a physical?  There are NFL teams who currently do not have even one, let alone two, good quarterbacks on their rosters.  And yet they have not taken steps to evaluate Cam that we can point to.

Number four:  Cam announced he would be willing to be a back up on May 7, likely in hopes that this new information would generate some additional interest from NFL teams.  Crickets.  A week is an eternity in the fast moving world of the NFL offseason.

Number five:  this is starting to remind me, a lot, of the Dez Bryant situation.  Cowboys released Dez, and the casual fan (and Florio) assumed Dez would be snapped right up and wasted much hot air speculating on his destination.  Then the entire offseason and months of the regular season went by before the Saints finally signed Dez, but he never played a down.

Number six: all of this is disregarding Cam's self-released videos, his bizarre statements, and his truly unusual fashion choices.  But teams will not disregard that stuff.  Quite the contrary.

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Number one:  Never use a "scoop" from Ian Rapoport to prove a point.  Rapoport is a useful idiot because he will repeat, uncritically, anything an inside source tells him.

Number two: teams did conduct physicals during the Covid19 crisis.  Namely, Tom Brady's.  And DeAndre Hopkins.  And David Johnson.  And probably every single one of the dozens of free agents who were signed so far this offseason.

Number three:  what teams wanted to sign Cam but didn't because they could not conduct a physical?  There are NFL teams who currently do not have even one, let alone two, good quarterbacks on their rosters.  And yet they have not taken steps to evaluate Cam that we can point to.

Number four:  Cam announced he would be willing to be a back up on May 7, likely in hopes that this new information would generate some additional interest from NFL teams.  Crickets.  A week is an eternity in the fast moving world of the NFL offseason.

Number five:  this is starting to remind me, a lot, of the Dez Bryant situation.  Cowboys released Dez, and the casual fan (and Florio) assumed Dez would be snapped right up and wasted much hot air speculating on his destination.  Then the entire offseason and months of the regular season went by before the Saints finally signed Dez, but he never played a down.

Number six: all of this is disregarding Cam's self-released videos, his bizarre statements, and his truly unusual fashion choices.  But teams will not disregard that stuff.  Quite the contrary.

1. Ian Rapoport is just once source, there are others.

2. If I recall correctly, there was a period of time that no physicals were being conducted.  Everything was shut down.  Which means more than likely teams would have brought Cam in for a physical IF this was a normal year.  

3. Yes, because of that shut-down period, it hurt Cam even more because the NFL draft was approaching. Of course teams wanted to wait until after the draft to see how things would shake out filling the position. Please don't use Brady as an example okay?  We know Brady's pedigree and he was going to find a job plus he, and the other QBs you mentioned weren't rehabbing from injury.

3 and a half.....you stated "There are NFL teams who currently do not have even one, let alone two, good quarterbacks on their rosters." Which teams are you referring to right now?

Edited by theSPANKER
  • Like 2

4. In the case of Dez Bryant, if I recall, he refused to take a pay-cut from the Cowboys right? Then after he was cut he said some negative things about the organization like there was a conspiracy with Garrett, (Witten IIRC) and others who stabbed him in the back, so yeah other teams were going to back away from him.  

The thing that sucks for Newton is even taking a one year deal at this point to test the market next year when there may be more availability and an actual opportunity to meet with teams might not result in him being a starter. He really may be a career backup at this point.

In 2018 he was already not very good. In 2019 he was downright awful in 2 games and then went on to get surgery to fix the issue supposedly.

The guy has over 100 carries every season minus one where he had 90. Was battling a bunch of injury’s and reportedly couldn’t even run the ball anymore due to his shoulder. Evident by the -5 rushing yards over 2 games last season. He will be 32 next season as well. Newton is also a useless player without the ability to run. He’s not like Wilson where he’s a good passer elevated by his ability to scramble. He’s always been below average as a passer made good by his ability to run. 

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Gohawks said:

Newton is also a useless player without the ability to run. He’s not like Wilson where he’s a good passer elevated by his ability to scramble. He’s always been below average as a passer made good by his ability to run. 

I'd say he was around average up to 2015; in 2015 he was actually top 10 in QB rating and TDs (although his completion rate was only 59%). After 2015 he went downhill quite fast though.

If you say that the past 4 seasons he was below average I'm totally with you. If you merely wanted to make the point that your Wilson is a better QB, I'll also support you btw ;)

• Like 1

@theSPANKER

I would say the teams currently with not even one good quarterback would be:

Colts

Raiders

Washington

Bills

Panthers

Steelers (unless Ben Roethlisberger returns to form)

Patriots

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, theSPANKER said:

4. In the case of Dez Bryant, if I recall, he refused to take a pay-cut from the Cowboys right? Then after he was cut he said some negative things about the organization like there was a conspiracy with Garrett, (Witten IIRC) and others who stabbed him in the back, so yeah other teams were going to back away from him.  

Bryant was never offered a pay cut, he was simply cut.

Cam Newton was never offered a pay cut, he was simply cut 

Dez ripped his old organization on social media after he was cut.

Cam Newton ripped his old organization on social media after he was cut.

Dez's once fearsome physical skills had deteriorated and he lacked the all around game to win his one-on-one battles in other ways.

Cam's once fearsome physical skills have...

Well you get the point.

Edited by SharkSwimmer
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

@theSPANKER

Colts

Raiders

Washington

Bills

Panthers

Patriots

The problem is Bills and Washington have young QBs that they are committed to for now. Maybe the Patriots as well. Colts and Panthers signed QBs to start. While you may think Raiders and Steelers don’t have good QBs they’re clearly committed to them for the time being.

So none of those teams need a QB despite maybe needing a QB if that makes sense.

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Colts

Raiders

Dude. I get the Rivers hate, who is basically at the end of a nice career, but I'm still sure he can push the ball another 4000 yd (4600 last season). But Carr last season was way underrated - he was top-10 in most categories and close to top 10 that in others. He's not a bad QB.

Edit: certainly both are better than Cam at this point.

Edited by Boudewijn
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

@theSPANKER

Colts

Raiders

Washington

Bills

Panthers

Patriots

Colts: probably a wash

Raiders: Carr is a QB that is pretty much impossible for me to fear as a Chiefs fan, but he is probably a better fit for Gruden's west coast style than Cam

Redskins: I agree Haskins sucks but the Redskins don't: they would have taken Tua otherwise. So they seem committed.

Bills: Not the biggest Allen fan but disagree that he "isn't good." Even if you think that, the Bills have committed to him and he showed improvement to reward their faith last year. Definitely needs another leap this year.

Panthers: Agree in general. If they let him walk, they should have just tanked for Trevor; the coach certainly had the job security to do that. Don't know why they let Cam go if that wasn't the plan

Steelers: I agree that Ben is a serious risk (he was horrible to start 2019 before injury), but for better or worse he is firmly entrenched as the starter. I think this would be an intriguing option for Cam as a backup with upside though.

Patriots: They believe in Stidham for some weird reason. I think it's as a tank commander for a year; but either way, the draft showed Bill wants him starting next season

16 minutes ago, Boudewijn said:

Dude. I get the Rivers hate, who is basically at the end of a nice career, but I'm still sure he can push the ball another 4000 yd (4600 last season). But Carr last season was way underrated - he was top-10 in most categories and close to top 10 that in others. He's not a bad QB.

Edit: certainly both are better than Cam at this point.

From the perspective of the front offices involved, every quarterback on my list of teams with no good quarterbacks is better than Cam.  That does not mean any of their quarterbacks are good.  And the front offices who think their bad quarterbacks are still better than Cam?  They might very well be correct. 

@mocha4313

My point was that the teams on my list are very very far from being set at the quarterback position, and yet none of them have even had Cam in for a workout.  Why not?  I believe it is now the perception among NFL GMs that signing Cam would be far more trouble (considerable) than it would be worth (likely very little, if any, production).

Posted (edited)
43 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

I believe it is now the perception among NFL GMs that signing Cam would be far more trouble (considerable) than it would be worth (likely very little, if any, production).

This part is clear, and I agree. Which basically leaves only those GMs who are not afraid of trouble.

belichick.0.gif

Edit: but:

- they have no cap space

- everything indicates they're not interested

Edited by Boudewijn
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Bryant was never offered a pay cut, he was simply cut.

The only reason he was never offered a pay-cut because when he was asked about taking one, he said Hell no.  

3 hours ago, Gohawks said:

The thing that sucks for Newton is even taking a one year deal at this point to test the market next year when there may be more availability and an actual opportunity to meet with teams might not result in him being a starter. He really may be a career backup at this point.

In 2018 he was already not very good. In 2019 he was downright awful in 2 games and then went on to get surgery to fix the issue supposedly.

The guy has over 100 carries every season minus one where he had 90. Was battling a bunch of injury’s and reportedly couldn’t even run the ball anymore due to his shoulder. Evident by the -5 rushing yards over 2 games last season. He will be 32 next season as well. Newton is also a useless player without the ability to run. He’s not like Wilson where he’s a good passer elevated by his ability to scramble. He’s always been below average as a passer made good by his ability to run. 

The reason he couldn’t run last year was the lisfranc injury.

• Thanks 1

Dalton and Winston signed for backup roles for very cheap? They know who is going to New England and its why they didnt sign as Hoyer is the backup for Cam already when he comes in. Bill need a MVP to come after an MVP. Stidham, Really guys? No.

Im convinced Cam is healthy, he sat out an entire year, and says he is. Who knows better than him? Which anyone who was a Panthers fan which I am not, needed him to do to get healthy for the longest time, he said he was playing hurt.

People who have seen the Patriots go to great lengths to win games think they are now gonna take an ego hit an lose for Lawrence? Not buying it. Bill needs to prove he can win without Brady. We see the "lose for..." angle, never ever works, unless its basketball.

4 hours ago, Boudewijn said:

This part is clear, and I agree. Which basically leaves only those GMs who are not afraid of trouble.

belichick.0.gif

Edit: but:

- they have no cap space

- everything indicates they're not interested

I mean, has Bill ever tipped his hand tot he media, even when its obvious?

On to Cincinnati.

5 hours ago, SharkSwimmer said:

@mocha4313

My point was that the teams on my list are very very far from being set at the quarterback position, and yet none of them have even had Cam in for a workout.  Why not?  I believe it is now the perception among NFL GMs that signing Cam would be far more trouble (considerable) than it would be worth (likely very little, if any, production).

🤣 Former MVP cant produce anymore cuz he wasnt good while playing with a broken foot.

He was cut because of his fat salary and new coach.

Amazing how we forget about 30 yo former MVP QBs because they were hurt. Even at his worst, he was still better then most the QBs int he NFL.

He was a good QB before he got hurt, now? meh, done with him, he got hurt and will never recover. I thought we knew better then this by now on 2020. 

Russ Wilson - 23.9 ppg

Cam Newton - 23.6 ppg

Phil Rivers - 22.6 ppg

Carson Wentz - 21.4 ppg

Cam got hurt last year is still only 30, is better then Wentz and Rivers in fantasy points and right there with Danger. 

But he is now a career backup, cuz, he had to rest for injury, that he said is healed. 

Did we not see Rivers arm fall of last year, and he still starts? Lets chill on the Cam narrative.

• Like 1