dashoe

Cam Newton 2020 Outlook

On 3/17/2020 at 8:49 PM, sSektor said:

01001001 00100000 01100111 01110101 01100101 01110011 01110011 00100000 01110100 01101000 01100001 01110100 00100111 01110011 00100000 01101111 01101011 01100001 01111001 00101110 00100000 01000001 01110100 00100000 01101100 01100101 01100001 01110011 01110100 00100000 01101000 01100101 00100111 01110011 00100000 01100011 01101111 01101110 01110011 01101001 01110011 01110100 01100101 01101110 01110100 00101110

Or at least consistently inconsistent.

• Haha 1

@Rona

If I understand your argument, you are saying that since Newton put up 20 something fantasy points per game in 2018, and is only 30, that means that Cam is still at least as good as Wentz and almost as good as Wilson, and will be starting in the NFL and racking up fantasy points soon.

If that's the case, why has no NFL team signed him yet, or even had discussions with him?  Jameis Winston had more fppg in 2019 than everyone on your list, yet he is now backing up Brees for 1/20th of his former salary.

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, SharkSwimmer said:

@mocha4313

My point was that the teams on my list are very very far from being set at the quarterback position, and yet none of them have even had Cam in for a workout.  Why not?  I believe it is now the perception among NFL GMs that signing Cam would be far more trouble (considerable) than it would be worth (likely very little, if any, production).

The Bills are absolutely 1000% set at the QB position.

To suggest they aren't is pure delusion.

JA continues to be the most disrespected QB in football.

Maybe you should have put the Browns and Jets on that list....Mayfield/Darnold are inferior to Allen and far bigger question marks than Allen.

Edited by euphoriahbo
  • Haha 2

The Bills think they are set at QB.  I tend to disagree.  But you are correct, Darnold and Mayfield have yet to do much of anything in the NFL, either.  The casual fan probably thinks Cam is still better than all 3 of those guys, but NFL front offices have so far voted with their feet and left Cam unsigned.

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, euphoriahbo said:

Maybe you should have put the Browns and Jets on that list....Mayfield/Darnold are inferior to Allen and far bigger question marks than Allen.

if Cam were actually willing to accept a backup role, it seemingly makes sense with doing it for Allen who is another prolific redzone rusher

The Bills would never bring in Cam for the same reason the Jags would not: they have a young guy they believe in, and they want the young guy to succeed.

1 hour ago, SharkSwimmer said:

The Bills would never bring in Cam for the same reason the Jags would not: they have a young guy they believe in, and they want the young guy to succeed.

I don't understand your line of thinking here.  If Cam accepts the role of backup then why not sign him as insurance (to any of the QB needy teams as you so elegantly pointed out BTW) if the price is right?

You state Cam isn't nearly the player he was in the past, but then you say an organization won't bring him in because he's a threat to the young guy, correct?

If Cam accepts a backup role, I don't see the conflict of interest your narrating here. 

1 hour ago, theSPANKER said:

I don't understand your line of thinking here.  If Cam accepts the role of backup then why not sign him as insurance (to any of the QB needy teams as you so elegantly pointed out BTW) if the price is right?

You state Cam isn't nearly the player he was in the past, but then you say an organization won't bring him in because he's a threat to the young guy, correct?

If Cam accepts a backup role, I don't see the conflict of interest your narrating here. 

I guess it seems pretty straightforward to me.  Even though Cam has stated he's fine being a backup, he will still be perceived as a threat to the starter by the starter, likely many of the players, and of course the media and the fans.

If you don't like my theory, what's yours?  Why do you think Cam remains unsigned as we sit here on May 13?

2 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

I guess it seems pretty straightforward to me.  Even though Cam has stated he's fine being a backup, he will still be perceived as a threat to the starter by the starter, likely many of the players, and of course the media and the fans.

If you don't like my theory, what's yours?  Why do you think Cam remains unsigned as we sit here on May 13?

Well first things, first here.  If there is an understanding between a team and Cam that he's the backup then he's the backup. There is no threat to the young guy unless he absolutely sucks, and in that case Cam deserves a start right?  

If the psyche of the young player is that fragile, then I question his ability to lead the team in the first place.

What's the difference when a team signs a back-up to push the perceived starter and hopefully unlock his potential?  It works the other way too. Sometimes if the starter doesn't have a threat as a backup then they aren't pushed (Trubisky as a off the head example), then they don't feel that pressure to perform.

But again, if Cam is signed as a backup, then he knows his role and there should be no threat to the starter unless the starter under-performs.  That's the case with all the positions in the NFL.

Now on to Cam.  I haven't given it much thought until you brought it up in this thread.  I just assumed he's weighing his options.  Even though he's said he would play as a back-up, knowing Cam he doesn't really want to do that.  His best option is probably to wait until a starter goes down but this is all speculation on my part.

For all I know, you could be right, but if he can pass a physical I see no reason why he shouldn't be employed.  However just about every team out there has there QB of the future or they are all in on the current starter.  The NFL is a funny business. But unlike you, I'll willing to bet Cam will be employed this year, assuming we have a full year.

You mentioned Kaep.  Everyone knows the real reason he isn't playing and it's a damn shame.

• Like 2

I think you have hit on a key point:

"Unless the starter under-performs."

Under-performs for a quarter of the season?  A single game?  A half?  A series?  A play?

I am all for competition at every position, but maybe that much pressure is too much pressure for a young QB of the future to have to face.

You know what?  I do hope Cam signs with NFL team soon, then manages to get onto the field.  I really enjoy watching him play.  But I don't think it is a foregone conclusion that it will happen.  If not, it will be a shame.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

I think you have hit on a key point:

"Unless the starter under-performs."

Under-performs for a quarter of the season?  A single game?  A half?  A series?  A play?

I am all for competition at every position, but maybe that much pressure is too much pressure for a young QB of the future to have to face.

You know what?  I do hope Cam signs with NFL team soon, then manages to get onto the field.  I really enjoy watching him play.  But I don't think it is a foregone conclusion that it will happen.  If not, it will be a shame.

You know that's subjective and can't be quantified.  It all depends on the circumstances.  Who's the starter, the backup, the coach, expectations, the record, etc, etc....

If Cam is done, then we will all find out fast if he somehow becomes a starter this year.  Reading the tea-leaves right now, I don't think a team signs him. 

I think his opportunity will come when someone is injured.   

4 hours ago, theSPANKER said:

But again, if Cam is signed as a backup, then he knows his role and there should be no threat to the starter unless the starter under-performs. 

Right. And then this guy walks into the locker room.

bebfbbc7a41386d3ce3bd44d604fe147.gif

2015 NFL MVP, played in a Superbowl, 30.000 career yards with 180 TDs, ego the size of a planet. He promised to be the #2, and many players in the locker room have entered the league after his 2015 season, but to some of them he's a hero.

If he's the backup to Brady or Mahomes or LJax, there's no problem. But backup to an unproven rookie? Even to Josh Allen? Cam's rookie season eats Allen's rookie season for breakfast. Cam's best season doesn't even look at Allen's last season.

If you think that all 53 guys in a locker room will all follow the coach's memo that Cam is a backup, well, good luck managing any team. That's not how it works, in my opinion.

• Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Boudewijn said:

Right. And then this guy walks into the locker room.

bebfbbc7a41386d3ce3bd44d604fe147.gif

2015 NFL MVP, played in a Superbowl, 30.000 career yards with 180 TDs, ego the size of a planet. He promised to be the #2, and many players in the locker room have entered the league after his 2015 season, but to some of them he's a hero.

If he's the backup to Brady or Mahomes or LJax, there's no problem. But backup to an unproven rookie? Even to Josh Allen? Cam's rookie season eats Allen's rookie season for breakfast. Cam's best season doesn't even look at Allen's last season.

If you think that all 53 guys in a locker room will all follow the coach's memo that Cam is a backup, well, good luck managing any team. That's not how it works, in my opinion.

Unproven rookie?  Which team(s) are your referring to?  Minshew is the only guy that closest fits what you're saying here right?

We know teams that selected their starters in the draft for the future are entrenched in stone as that right now. 

Josh Allen is no longer a rookie and he doesn't count.  He was selected in the first round.  Buffalo traded up to get him.  He's shown improvement every year thus far. 

Your example makes sense but I can't envision a scenario Buffalo would entertain Cam as the backup.

Minshew?  Whole different story.

11 minutes ago, theSPANKER said:

Your example makes sense but I can't envision a scenario Buffalo would entertain Cam as the backup.

Minshew?  Whole different story.

I took the example from the previous page where it was suggested Buffalo doesn't have a proven QB. And yes I stretched it a bit to indicate my thinking: Cam as a backup is a risk most teams won't want to take.

Now anyway. Once the #1s and #2s start to go down during the season, now that's a whole different ballgame.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SharkSwimmer said:

My theory is that he hasn't signed because teams haven't been able to give him a physical. My money is still on New England  once that happens. 

• Haha 1

@Boudewijn

That is what I was trying to say for about three pages.  Then you popped in with your perfect picture of Cam wearing a teal cowboy hat.

Don't think I am not taking notes.

Thumbs Up

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, aMediumPace said:

My theory is that he hasn't signed because teams haven't been able to give him a physical. My money is still on New England  once that happens. 

Nice Adam Sandler reference.  One of the funniest audio comedy albums I have ever heard.

Why can't teams give Cam a physical?  Brady took one.  Hopkins took one.  David Johnson took one.

50 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Nice Adam Sandler reference.  One of the funniest audio comedy albums I have ever heard.

Why can't teams give Cam a physical?  Brady took one.  Hopkins took one.  David Johnson took one.

From what I’ve read, Brady was examined by independent doctors in NY since the Bucs doctors couldn’t look at him due to covid19. Brady didn’t have any injuries that the Bucs needed to worry about to my knowledge.

Cam passed a physical in Atlanta. I think teams would rather their doctors look at him though since he’s had a major shoulder injury and foot injury recently. 

I assume the same for Dj and Hopkins but I haven’t found an article that specified who did their physicals. 

Yeah, I remember that now.  Thanks for the reminder.  So if Cam passed a physical in Atlanta, it seems that his continued free agency is not about the physical.

52 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Yeah, I remember that now.  Thanks for the reminder.  So if Cam passed a physical in Atlanta, it seems that his continued free agency is not about the physical.

I don’t think that’s the right conclusion to draw. Could be true but I think teams would want their own doctors to do a physical particularly for a player with his recent injuries. A team isn’t going to sign him without having their doctors take a look. There’s too much risk there. 

An example would be Brees failing his Miami physical but then passing his Saints physical. There was something there that Miami wasn’t comfortable with but the Saints were after their doctors took a look at him. 

These are unprecedented times. I think in normal times Cam would have definitely gotten more traction by now and likely visited a few teams before the draft. He has the most complicated case this offseason. There could definitely be more to it but the physical is a large part of the equation. 

It came out that NE " had no interest" in Cam. Which was probably true, AT THAT TIME, since they couldn't bring him in for a medical. Would it surprise anyone if you read tomorrow that Cam signed a 2 or 3 year deal with NE ,after they can evaluate him? It makes too much sense, with the loss of Brady, Stidham  being an unknown, plus when you factor in Cams playstyle and what NE seems to want to do offensively. Just my 2 cents but I see it happening. 

On 5/13/2020 at 6:52 AM, euphoriahbo said:

The most disrespected QB in football is in Seattle and it’s not even close.

From a throwing perspective Allen has been pretty horrible. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Gohawks said:

The most disrespected QB in football is in Seattle and it’s not even close.

From a throwing perspective Allen has been pretty horrible. 

come again? Wilson is pretty much universally loved, everyone knows he is talented

35 minutes ago, aMediumPace said:

It came out that NE " had no interest" in Cam. Which was probably true, AT THAT TIME, since they couldn't bring him in for a medical. Would it surprise anyone if you read tomorrow that Cam signed a 2 or 3 year deal with NE ,after they can evaluate him? It makes too much sense, with the loss of Brady, Stidham  being an unknown, plus when you factor in Cams playstyle and what NE seems to want to do offensively. Just my 2 cents but I see it happening. 

yes it would surprise me greatly, as that offensive scheme does not fit with his skillset at all

3 minutes ago, lolcopter said:

come again? Wilson is pretty much universally loved, everyone knows he is talented

yes it would surprise me greatly, as that offensive scheme does not fit with his skillset at all

True - but the Patriots are among the best out there in scheming to talent (rather than the other way around).  I think - beyond the cap issue - Bill is just content to develop Stidham and believes in his talent.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, lolcopter said:

PFF and their dumb selfs just ranked him as the 33rd best player of the decade. 

Was the 25th ranked player on NFLs top 100 going into last season. 6th QB.

Warner had him 6th going into last season

SportingNews had him 5th

PFF had him ranked 6th going into last season

It was only when he was obliterating the league last season and winning game after game with that pathetic defense and line that the mainstream media actually started to be like "DoEs WiLsOn NoT gEt EnOuGh ReSpEcT?"

So yes underrated. 

• Haha 1