dashoe

Cam Newton 2020 Outlook

Posted (edited)

Josh Allen isn't underrated, he is, in fact, extremely overrated.  My sense is that Allen is regarded as a playoff caliber quarterback with room to improve, when, in fact, his accuracy issues will likely never get fixed.  In my view, we have already seen the best we are going to see from Allen.  If Cam is physically right, the Bills should be all over him.

Edited by SharkSwimmer
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Josh Allen isn't underrated, he is, in fact, extremely overrated.  My sense is that Allen is regarded as a playoff caliber quarterback with room to improve, when, in fact, his accuracy issues will likely never get fixed.  In my view, we have already seen the best we are going to see from Allen.  If Cam is physically right, the Bills should be all over him.

Allen:

1) Most underrated player in the NFL

2) Most accurate Intermediate passer in the NFL (Highest passer rating in the NFL on throws 10-20 yards)

3) Will be the Bills franchise QB for the next ~15 years

4) Will win a couple Super Bowls

5) Will be a future Hall of Famer

• Haha 3

14 hours ago, Gohawks said:

The most disrespected QB in football is in Seattle and it’s not even close.

From a throwing perspective Allen has been pretty horrible. 

Allen has the #1 highest Passer Rating in football on throws 10-20 yards.

He's literally the Best Intermediate thrower in the game.

Case in point - He's wildly underrated.

On 5/13/2020 at 8:53 PM, Boudewijn said:

Right. And then this guy walks into the locker room.

bebfbbc7a41386d3ce3bd44d604fe147.gif

2015 NFL MVP, played in a Superbowl, 30.000 career yards with 180 TDs, ego the size of a planet. He promised to be the #2, and many players in the locker room have entered the league after his 2015 season, but to some of them he's a hero.

If he's the backup to Brady or Mahomes or LJax, there's no problem. But backup to an unproven rookie? Even to Josh Allen? Cam's rookie season eats Allen's rookie season for breakfast. Cam's best season doesn't even look at Allen's last season.

If you think that all 53 guys in a locker room will all follow the coach's memo that Cam is a backup, well, good luck managing any team. That's not how it works, in my opinion.

Absolutely nobody in the Bills locker room would want Cam starting over Allen. You have no idea how Allen is revered by his teammates. Guy is a true leader of men; his guys would run through a wall for him. So your premise is crap because you don't seem to realize that Allen is the Leader of the Buffalo Bills and they LOVE him 

• Haha 1

Let's take it to the Josh Allen thread.  Cam doesn't even have an NFL team, the least we can do is to let Cam's own thread be about Cam.

• Like 1

Now he  rock bottom 

• Like 1

On 5/15/2020 at 8:22 AM, euphoriahbo said:

Allen has the #1 highest Passer Rating in football on throws 10-20 yards.

He's literally the Best Intermediate thrower in the game.

Case in point - He's wildly underrated.

David Garrard is tied for 4th highest qbr in a season, ever. And chad Pennington has 3rd best completion %.

Slow youre roll cowboy.

1 hour ago, urban2014 said:

Now he  rock bottom 

Chargers say "yeah Cam good."

But not sign him.  So who will?

Posted (edited)
On 5/15/2020 at 7:25 AM, euphoriahbo said:

Absolutely nobody in the Bills locker room would want Cam starting over Allen. You have no idea how Allen is revered by his teammates. Guy is a true leader of men; his guys would run through a wall for him. So your premise is crap because you don't seem to realize that Allen is the Leader of the Buffalo Bills and they LOVE him 

How do you know this? You must have some inside knowledge

Edited by bhawks489

5 minutes ago, bhawks489 said:

How do you know this? You must have some inside knowledge

7:41 mark

"Everything about Josh screams leadership, and I think if you ask the guys on our team, whether they're on Offense or Defense, I haven't found anybody who just doesn't love who Josh Allen is on and off the field"

Uh...yeah.  The GM who drafted Josh Allen?  What's he going to say?

"Yeah the guy who tweeted out the N word a few years back is a huge hit in our multi-racial and diverse locker room!"

• Haha 1

Anyways...back to Cam.

Are the Patriots even going to bring him in for a workout?  If so, when?  If not, why?

3 hours ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Anyways...back to Cam.

Are the Patriots even going to bring him in for a workout?  If so, when?  If not, why?

Probably never. BB probably wants to see what he has in Stidham, and won't be crushingly unhappy if they bottom-out and take Trevor Lawrence followed by a treasure-trove of comp picks to move around the board next year. Reload and reset. I don't see how Cam fits into those plans. Nobody wants to commit $$$ to him until they can put him through a physical and see what they're buying.

11 minutes ago, DeliciousGravy said:

Probably never. BB probably wants to see what he has in Stidham, and won't be crushingly unhappy if they bottom-out and take Trevor Lawrence followed by a treasure-trove of comp picks to move around the board next year. Reload and reset. I don't see how Cam fits into those plans. Nobody wants to commit $$$ to him until they can put him through a physical and see what they're buying.

When I watched Cam play lately he wasn’t accurate. Like he had some sort of a arm/shoulder problem. 

3 hours ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Anyways...back to Cam.

I doubt it. But on a veteran minimum, maybe. Seems like BB wants to get financials in line this season and spend next year. But I do think he addressed key needs despite what experts are grading them. For example, first pick of second round may be a hybrid linebacker. Trade up for Keene will become full back. Late OT pick will become center. 

1. There's multiple parts to this essentially. He is the victim of:
  2. 1) Bad timing in free agency with teams being unable to evaluate him and his injury history
  3. 2) A large number of QB's drafted in the last three years enlisted as teams' starters now: since 2017 that list reads Trubisky, Watson, Mahomes, Mayfield, Darnold, Allen, Jackson, Murray, Jones, Haskins, Lock, Stidham, Minshew. Over a third of the league has guys playing on rookie deals. This year has included Burrow, Tagovailoa, Herbert
  4. 3) Arguably an increased appreciation of the salary cap and how you're better placed to win on a rookie deal, or by paying an above-average QB, but not paying the mediocre one. Not that Cam is mediocre but if he isn't back to above-average starting health and talent his contract will never justify it
  5. 4) The few open spots this year got taken quickly by guys with better bodies of work: Rivers in Indianapolis, Brady in Tampa. Should Chicago have gone for him instead? Perhaps, but the timing again got awful with them trading for Foles before he was released.

So at this junction I don't see where Cam fits. He's too talented and expensive to be a backup, and his CV doesn't lend well to a Jameis Winston-type contract. Does Jerry Jones bring him in for a visit? I don't know the internet could handle that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, DeliciousGravy said:
  1. There's multiple parts to this essentially. He is the victim of:
  2. 1) Bad timing in free agency with teams being unable to evaluate him and his injury history
  3. 2) A large number of QB's drafted in the last three years enlisted as teams' starters now: since 2017 that list reads Trubisky, Watson, Mahomes, Mayfield, Darnold, Allen, Jackson, Murray, Jones, Haskins, Lock, Stidham, Minshew. Over a third of the league has guys playing on rookie deals. This year has included Burrow, Tagovailoa, Herbert
  4. 3) Arguably an increased appreciation of the salary cap and how you're better placed to win on a rookie deal, or by paying an above-average QB, but not paying the mediocre one. Not that Cam is mediocre but if he isn't back to above-average starting health and talent his contract will never justify it
  5. 4) The few open spots this year got taken quickly by guys with better bodies of work: Rivers in Indianapolis, Brady in Tampa. Should Chicago have gone for him instead? Perhaps, but the timing again got awful with them trading for Foles before he was released.

So at this junction I don't see where Cam fits. He's too talented and expensive to be a backup, and his CV doesn't lend well to a Jameis Winston-type contract. Does Jerry Jones bring him in for a visit? I don't know the internet could handle that.

No. He’s already got his leverage on Dak. I could see Cam potentially taking a deal in Jax at a low contract level. Maybe NE, but it is a weird mix here. He needs accuracy amongst all else. I am not sure he still has that. 

Totally agree with @DeliciousGravy.

Cam is a starting quarterback and there are no starting spots available.  

I really can't see him as a backup, even though Cam says he's okay with that.

1 hour ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Totally agree with @DeliciousGravy.

Cam is a starting quarterback and there are no starting spots available.  

I really can't see him as a backup, even though Cam says he's okay with that.

Which is why, I've said before, Cam's best option is probably to wait it out until a starter or two goes down.  

At the time the starter goes down, depending on team expectations, record, and other variables, his services would be in demand.  The earlier in the season a starter goes down, the better odds for him getting a call. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, theSPANKER said:

Which is why, I've said before, Cam's best option is probably to wait it out until a starter or two goes down.  

At the time the starter goes down, depending on team expectations, record, and other variables, his services would be in demand.  The earlier in the season a starter goes down, the better odds for him getting a call. 

Not really. 

43 minutes ago, PizzaBeerFF said:

Not really. 

Care to elaborate?  Why not?  Especially if he's cleared physicals showing he's healthy?

15 minutes ago, theSPANKER said:

Care to elaborate?  Why not?  Especially if he's cleared physicals showing he's healthy?

Baseball season impact. You will see a lot of heavy arms coming in. 

12 hours ago, theSPANKER said:

wouldn’t know the offenses at all or have any time to get to know his wrs. Then you hoping that a good teams wbu gets hurt with a season ending injury cuss a bad team probably won’t care to bring him in. Probably just better to got to a decent to good team with not great qb play for cheap one year. Like tannehil 

Is Cam Newton better than Geno Smith?  Probably most people would think so.  And yet Geno Smith is Russel Wilson's backup in Seattle (last year, and, reports are that Smith will be back in 2020).  Why is that?  

Think it through.  What is the potential upside of Seattle bringing in Cam?  How about the downside?

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Is Cam Newton better than Geno Smith?  Probably most people would think so.  And yet Geno Smith is Russel Wilson's backup in Seattle (last year, and, reports are that Smith will be back in 2020).  Why is that?  

Think it through.  What is the potential upside of Seattle bringing in Cam?  How about the downside?

it's all about that money. Cam can say he will play backup as much as he wants, but going from $16mm to 1 or less will take some time and/or opportunity to present itself. Right now there's no big need for a starting QB, and it may be in his own financial interest to wait this one out for awhile, especially so given all the other COVID-19 stuff that the league is still trying to figure out

Edited by lolcopter