kmoore1521

Mike Evans 2020 Outlook

6 hours ago, fawkes_mulder said:

Soft tissue injuries usually heal 100%.

Soft tissue injuries are often the ones that nag at a player for an entire season. 

• Like 1

According to Rapoport, Mike Evans "has told people close to him that he does not believe this is a major injury, thinks he's going to be good to go Sunday"

24 minutes ago, cbsholy said:

According to Rapoport, Mike Evans "has told people close to him that he does not believe this is a major injury, thinks he's going to be good to go Sunday"

The unfortunate fact is that you’d expect Evans to be almost unreasonably hopeful in private circles. He is an incredibly talented player and was likely very frustrated to cut his season short last year due to a hammy. He spends all offseason getting right, finally gets a great QB in Brady, and—wouldn’t you know it?—that damn hammy pulls again. “Not going to happen again this year,” he thinks. “It’s nothing. I’ll be fine. I’m not going to let this shut me down again.” But there are always varying degrees when it comes to soft tissue injuries. You tweak it, spend some time working on it and it starts to feel fine, and then once you hit the field and kick it into full gear—BOOM. There it goes. f***in hammy. 

I expect him to be optimistic. I expect him to tell family and friends that they will get to see him out there again, that he will be back to his old self. And I expect him to push it so he doesn’t miss any time. Exactly what you don’t want to be doing with a soft tissue injury, and exactly how you make it worse. 

5 minutes ago, AnchorDown said:

The unfortunate fact is that you’d expect Evans to be almost unreasonably hopeful in private circles. He is an incredibly talented player and was likely very frustrated to cut his season short last year due to a hammy. He spends all offseason getting right, finally gets a great QB in Brady, and—wouldn’t you know it?—that damn hammy pulls again. “Not going to happen again this year,” he thinks. “It’s nothing. I’ll be fine. I’m not going to let this shut me down again.” But there are always varying degrees when it comes to soft tissue injuries. You tweak it, spend some time working on it and it starts to feel fine, and then once you hit the field and kick it into full gear—BOOM. There it goes. f***in hammy. 

I expect him to be optimistic. I expect him to tell family and friends that they will get to see him out there again, that he will be back to his old self. And I expect him to push it so he doesn’t miss any time. Exactly what you don’t want to be doing with a soft tissue injury, and exactly how you make it worse. 

I agree with your sentiment regarding soft tissue injuries not being the type of injury that you chance it with. I'd rather him only suit up if he's as close to 100% as possible. The sad fact is that this very well could hamper him all year and can be reaggravated at any minute. If any of us knew this we would've let him slide a bit further down our draft boards; it's unfortunate. 

However, my interpretation of the "telling people close to him" is a little different from yours. If it were me, I'd tell the media and the public that I'm optimistic, hoping to suit up, all that jazz. It's a part of gamesmanship, making your opponent prepare for every possible scenario, and generally just being hopeful, not tipping your hand. But to my inner circle, I'd be more honest and straightforward and wouldn't sugarcoat things.

Now, like you said, I don't think it's a good thing if he's going to force himself out there when he really shouldn't. At this point we really just have to trust Evans and the training staff to act in their own best interests. This is the exact opposite of ideal but there's a smart way and a dumb way to go about it. I don't think Evans will push it just so he doesn't miss time, I think he'll try his best to prepare to play, and if it can't go, he'll be smart about it. This team with Brady has different aspirations than last year, at least starting from Week 1. 

I had Fournette in 2018 when he tweaked his hammy during the Week 1 game, and he tried to come back too soon (Week 4) and tweaked it again, missed another 5 weeks and returned in Week 10. He played exceptionally (for his standards) Week 10 onwards. But of course, each hammy tweak is going to be different. 

There's a reason I make a DND list. What I can't understand is why I don't stick to it. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, cbsholy said:

If any of us knew this we would've let him slide a bit further down our draft boards; it's unfortunate. 

original.gif

• Haha 1

I'd rather see him sit until he's clearly 100%, otherwise I worry this will become a nagging injury and then you never know when he might go down mid-game. Ominous start to the season, unfortunately.

3 minutes ago, altmin said:

There's a reason I make a DND list. What I can't understand is why I don't stick to it. 

Okay, but if his durability was the reason why, then last year is the only year he's missed more than 1 game.

evans.JPG.4d2c55fdfa225eff99c01014d1f3e72a.JPG

I understand being a little put off due to the nature of the hamstring injury last season, but all indications before yesterday were that it was behind him.

If you're talking about his boom-or-bust nature, then this injury is unrelated and your comment makes no sense in context.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, dropshadows said:

original.gif

The point was that a damn good percentage of people drafted only a few days or hours before this news broke. 

6 minutes ago, cbsholy said:

The point was that a damn good percentage of people drafted only a few days or hours before this news broke. 

True. I'm definitely not freaking out, but could use a little cool water as the hype is the greatest right before the season begins. Thanks for posting the yearly stats.

5 minutes ago, dropshadows said:

True. I'm definitely not freaking out, but could use a little cool water as the hype is the greatest right before the season begins. Thanks for posting the yearly stats.

Agreed, I'm not necessarily freaking out, but it's just super unfortunate. At this point we just have to hope they're smart about it and don't rush him back. If we're lucky, he can put this behind him and play the rest of the season without any major issues. It just sucks since he might be behind on chemistry with Brady and the new offense by the time he does come back. 

I just thought it'd take at least til AFTER week 1 for me to have something worth bitching about. haha. Nature of the game I suppose

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, cbsholy said:

Okay, but if his durability was the reason why, then last year is the only year he's missed more than 1 game.

evans.JPG.4d2c55fdfa225eff99c01014d1f3e72a.JPG

I understand being a little put off due to the nature of the hamstring injury last season, but all indications before yesterday were that it was behind him.

If you're talking about his boom-or-bust nature, then this injury is unrelated and your comment makes no sense in context.

I don't. We're talking about a player who has had one minor injury in 6 seasons. There is no way that this current injury is carrying over from last December. He doesn't have a hammy injury that has lasted 9 months. Just a random, unfortunate injury with terrible timing. At least it happened in practice and not in the first quarter against the Saints.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, ajs723 said:

I don't. We're talking about a player who has had one minor injury in 6 seasons. There is no way that this current injury is carrying over from last December. He doesn't have a hammy injury that has lasted 9 months. Just a random, unfortunate injury with terrible timing. At least it happened in practice and not in the first quarter against the Saints.

I hear ya, and I hope you're right. I'm no doctor but I imagine there could be scar tissue or something like that which may mean it's got a heightened chance for reinjury. But like you said, it's been quite a long time since the injury so hopefully it is just a random and unrelated tweak. At this point we're just speculating so hopefully we get some good news. Missing a game or two to ensure he's good to go for the ROS is worth it to me.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, ponchsox said:

Evans is practicing today!

It said he was catching passes with a helmet on. Which is better than nothing, I’d be concerned about decoy mike though lining up just to distract lattimore 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, munygon2 said:

Listed as Doubtful

I think it's the right move to have him sit. Not worth pushing this early in the season. Rest up and get healthy, Evans. Hoping for a quick and full recovery.

20 minutes ago, jstep13 said:

decoy?

100% just gonna distract lattimore while Godwin goes off for 200+ 

1 minute ago, Ryansm11 said:

Yep, happened last year and people got so upset about it. The writing was all over the wall. It was that game he came back after having the flu. It was on a short week, if I recall. The Saints are just a bad matchup. I don't know if Brady is going to make a difference, because Evans getting shutdown was more the Saints D, than ineffectiveness of Winston. They make you go to third and fourth options. So it won't be Godwin and Evans benefiting. It will likely be Scotty Miller and Gronk.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Ryansm11 said:

As a Godwin owner, send it .

• Haha 1

My biggest concern with him being a game time decision is that they play during the later slate of games with less options to fall back on.