Rotoworld.com Forums

Mike Evans 2020 Outlook

He takes a lot of slack, but this guy is a stud. CHI defense is no joke, yet he posted a solid 15+ PPR points while playing injured. Close to being a monster night with a couple of bad throws by Brady - who was harassed and on the ground the entire game.

"I'll never give up on our love/hate relationship Big Mike Evans. Never."

• Replies 478
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

QUICK EVERYONE GET IN HERE GODWIN FRACTURED FINGER WE BACK 

.....and Evans murdered him. 1)  Evans gets past the initial contact and gets open for a catch. 2) Evans burns him bad. Brady underthrows Evans.  Even the announcers say, "Well Bradberry was

You can’t question his toughness. He’s a warrior out there.

Posted Images

6 hours ago, ajs723 said:

Should have had 3 TDs tonight, while playing hurt. Brady lasered a ball over his head in the endzone. Any touch on the throw and it's an easy TD. He also had his man beat deep down the sideline and the ball was way underthrown. 

If you want to play that game, he shouldn’t have had a TD at all. The refs saved his fantasy night by incorrectly ruling RoJo down at the 2.

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, smeeze said:

If you want to play that game, he shouldn’t have had a TD at all. The refs saved his fantasy night by incorrectly ruling RoJo down at the 2.

For what it's worth - that was an absolutely amaze-balls catch, scooped it millimeters from the ground. So while I can't really blame the refs for getting the initial call wrong on the field - the rule that stopped the play is a bit of a head scratcher. Understandable that the whistle kills a play - but in this kind of scenario I'd think they could/should be able to (and probably should have) ruled it a TD. Even at the cost of my Evans stat line.

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, JAG_challam said:

For what it's worth - that was an absolutely amaze-balls catch, scooped it millimeters from the ground. So while I can't really blame the refs for getting the initial call wrong on the field - the rule that stopped the play is a bit of a head scratcher. Understandable that the whistle kills a play - but in this kind of scenario I'd think they could/should be able to (and probably should have) ruled it a TD. Even at the cost of my Evans stat line.

No doubt, just thought it was disingenuous to say he should have had 3 TDs when in reality he probably should have had 0.

Until he heals up to 100% he is going to be TD dependent. 

3 minutes ago, smeeze said:

No doubt, just thought it was disingenuous to say he should have had 3 TDs when in reality he probably should have had 0.

Until he heals up to 100% he is going to be TD dependent

Agreed - but he's at 6 TDs through 5 games. Best in the league - so if anyone is going to be TD dependent, you want it to be him :)

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Ddam2013 said:

He’s become 2015 Tyler Eifert. Not bad for fantasy but at some point you stop catching TDs on 30% of your receptions

Not saying you're wrong, but at the same time hes been gutting it out all year between the hamstring injury and the ankle injury. And to add to that, he faced Lattimore in Week 1 as a true game time decision, put up 120/1 last week after spraining his ankle in-game and was pretty obviously hobbling around, and had to suit up this week on a short week on the road vs a defense that hadnt allowed a WR to score. Add to all of this that the Bucs havent had Godwin for 3 of their 5 games, last game they were down OJ Howard, Godwin, and Watson, and defenses have been able to key in on Evans for a large part of this year. Between him playing through injuries of his own, and not having established/skilled teammates to draw coverage away from himself, and gutting it out as a GTD twice and returning from an in-game injury, I think Evans is and we should be thanking god that he came out of last game looking fairly healthy and spry as he now gets 10 days to rest and recover before their next game where Godwin should return as well. Speculation on my end, but it'll be the healthiest Evans has been and he'll finally have the benefit of an established star receiver on the other end to draw coverage. Evans might've been TD dependent up til today but that really ignores the actual story of what's been going on. He's been a rock for a team that's needed him.

5 minutes ago, FitzMagic said:

Always been. People just don't appreciate Mikey! Legitimate HOF material as long as he stays relatively healthy.

giphy.gif

He's probably the best example I can think of in explaining availability bias in fantasy football.

Everyone who owned him last year brings up the Lattimore game.  Or the past couple years, the one or two games he dropped an egg.

But while other guys who may have had more week to week consistency have gone by the boards, you can hardly name a handful of receivers that have had more season to season consistency over the past half dozen years.

• Like 1

Drafted Mike Evans in 2016, 2018 and 2020. For some reason he seems to alternate between good and elite and seasons pretty consistently. 

Certainly looks like that trend will continue this year as the TD's have been awesome, but obviously the other production has been mediocre. I have zero concerns over Evans' usage, talent or fit with Brady. If he's able to get healthy and get on the same page with Brady we could see him put up a monster second half of the season. If that doesn't materialize though, he's still one of the best WR2's in the league and a guy who can go nuclear at any time. 

I think these last couple games have been really good for his outlook. He played against two fairly good secondaries while injured and put up more than solid points both games. Everyone always says "can't rely on the TD's" and while that's true to some extent... this is Brady's number 1 bonified RZ guy. The 2 TD week wasn't a fluke, the weekly TD is not a fluke. Brady looks to him immediately, every single redzone drive. That's amazing going forward. The fact that he still gets anywhere from 5-10 targets while clearly hobbled is also reassuring. I think his floor this year is going to be super steady, and his ceiling is sky high with the potential for 100yd, 2 TD games.

The concern people always have is when Godwin comes back, Evans loses targets, but tbh I'm not so concerned anymore. I think both will see a healthy amount of targets, and Godwin's return also means team defenses can't key in on Evans too much.

Edited by harck
1 hour ago, sSektor said:

An absolute steal at his ADP so. Looking forward to seeing what he does when both him and Godwin are healthy at the same time.

This tandem will eat all year long.

Evans and Godwin are just a devastating duo, I'm amped to see more of these two healthy & playing together. 

OJ Howard done for the year, Gronk looking like a fossil out there.

Huge games ahead. 

Let's all remember that this offense is still coming together.

Brady in particular is still learning a new system, a new playbook, new teammates, and is building chemistry. While Brady now is not the Brady that once was, last week's 5 TDs should be a pointed reminder that he's still Tom motherf()@#ing Brady.

10 day break. Evans and Godwin hopefully both returning healthy (or at least healthier). More practice reps for the entire unit... The best is yet to come.

1 minute ago, JAG_challam said:

Let's all remember that this offense is still coming together.

Brady in particular is still learning a new system, a new playbook, new teammates, and is building chemistry. While Brady now is not the Brady that once was, last week's 5 TDs should be a pointed reminder that he's still Tom motherf()@#ing Brady.

10 day break. Evans and Godwin hopefully both returning healthy (or at least healthier). More practice reps for the entire unit... The best is yet to come.

They need to simplify it a bit so he can remember what down he's on.

• Haha 2

I was slightly concerned by a few of the passes Brady threw last night. Even with the bum ankle he roasted his man deep only for TB to badly underthrow him. They'll be fine, but that play would have been a TD with Jameis (or maybe a pick 6 idk). 

I can remember long ago when Tom Brady had another freak of nature to throw the ball to. His name was (I believe) Randy Moss. The two of them hooked up for a historic run. Brady loves the attention and loves being in the forefront even more. Imagine being able to pad touchdown stats with Mike Evans week in and week out. You think he is NOT going to help Evans reach 1,000 yards this season? I like what I am seeing out there between these two. Come next week, Evans and Brady will be damn near unstoppable. 

Edited by Fantasy Gooroo
forgot the word "and". It bugged me.
  • Like 1

He's clearly the preferred target in the red zone and we've seen how valuable that is with Brady by looking at Gronk's career. Def not worried about Godwin, this offense can support two alphas - and if it means more red zone opps, that's great.

Last night both QBs threw some ducks, were conditions deceptively windy? No commentary about it so it was odd.

9 minutes ago, trilly said:

He's clearly the preferred target in the red zone and we've seen how valuable that is with Brady by looking at Gronk's career. Def not worried about Godwin, this offense can support two alphas - and if it means more red zone opps, that's great.

Last night both QBs threw some ducks, were conditions deceptively windy? No commentary about it so it was odd.

I don't know, other than to say it *was* Chicago...

He definitely did not look healthy last night.  If you didn't watch the game, you have no idea that TD was a miracle.  If it happened in the 4th everyone would be talking about it.  Jones caught and rolled into endzone, refs called it incomplete, and because he was rolling as they blew whistle they gave him the catch but he was down at the 1.  Outside that, it was mostly short "use your size" routes or "run in a straight line" routes. There were a couple deeper balls he was open on, but owners were really lucky to get more than the yardage.

Going forward I love him and with the extra time off, hopefully will be about 80% next game.