affliction

Ronald Jones 2020 Outlook

How are we feeling about him with Brady and if Barber signs elsewhere?

1 minute ago, affliction said:

Not great.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, affliction said:

if he didnt improve his pass blocking to the level of NEVER MISS he wont be on the field much. Arians has to everything to protect Brady, a pass blocking rb is critical

I was a RoJo truther all last season but he’s not gonna do anything if he doesn’t become a good pass blocker and receiver for Brady. Letting Jameis take hits is one thing but a 43 year old QB getting 30 mil is a bit different.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dashoe said:

if he didnt improve his pass blocking to the level of NEVER MISS he wont be on the field much. Arians has to everything to protect Brady, a pass blocking rb is critical

Melvin Gordon?

Just now, SyNdicateZ said:

Melvin Gordon?

This seems like an extremely good fit

5 minutes ago, BMcP said:

This seems like an extremely good fit

Add Melvin Gordon to this offense and pencil them in for SB appearance

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, SyNdicateZ said:

Melvin Gordon?

I don't think they can afford him, they have too many other players to sign

Dion lewis was cut, we could se a reunification with Brady just to have someone that can show the others what Tommy Boy expects 🤨

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, affliction said:

"How are we feeling about him with Brady and if Barber signs elsewhere?"

I didn't like him when he came out but he's really put in the offseason work. Assuming that continues, I think you'll be able to get him as a value, especially if your league drafts early. He was benched for pass protection, but that wasn't due to technique. They switched their scheme on a particular play & he either forgot, wasn't told or didn't hear the signal change pre snap... Consider that if nothing else, Brady is going to read the coverage more often than Winston did. The Bucs, as a unit were 22nd in pass protection. Game scripts had defenses pinning their ears back & getting well into their mix up front. You can say, oh, this unit over here, they protect the QB! But when every play is a jailbreak, that's not really a fair comparison.

To me, there's reason to believe Jones II will continue to improve his game. Right now he's an easy add to your draft plan, a solid risk/reward option. With Brady commanding the offense, he's going to opt out of bad or into better plays. That may well equate to handing the ball to Jones when the DL is teeing off. You get this kid into the 2nd tier & he's a freakin' load! He needed to add & he's done that. I see Barber differently I guess. If they bring him back, it's Jones' job to lose. Otherwise, his replacement could represent an upgrade.   

Edited by markrc99
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Rumors the Bucs are going after Gurley via Cecil Lammey verified on twitter, writer for footballguys

i think rojo is cooked in Tampa at least

Edited by kmoore1521

19 minutes ago, kmoore1521 said:

"Rumors the Bucs are going after Gurley via Cecil Lammey verified on twitter, writer for football guys. I think rojo is cooked in Tampa at least"

I see, so you're "come at me" with facts & logic? Pretty sad! :) ... I guess it makes sense, but I think that money would be better spent elsewhere. They couldn't run the ball or protect the QB. Now, the theme is change the skill position players & the OL will perform much better. For the Rams, I suppose the unloading of Gurley & apparently Cooks is a lack of confidence in their QB? If the trade involved a player, Jones heading home to LA may be interesting.    

46 minutes ago, kmoore1521 said:

Rumors the Bucs are going after Gurley via Cecil Lammey verified on twitter, writer for footballguys

That would be the biggest waste of $$$ when they need to sign guys in a ton of positions 😂

14 minutes ago, markrc99 said:

I see, so you're "come at me" with facts & logic? Pretty sad! :) ... I guess it makes sense, but I think that money would be better spent elsewhere. They couldn't run the ball or protect the QB. Now, the theme is change the skill position players & the OL will perform much better. For the Rams, I suppose the unloading of Gurley & apparently Cooks is a lack of confidence in their QB? If the trade involved a player, Jones heading home to LA may be interesting.    

The OL isnt terrible in pass protection, probably about middle of the pack, run blocking is horrid tho for sure

1 minute ago, dashoe said:

That would be the biggest waste of $$$ when they need to sign guys in a ton of positions 😂

the Run D is fine, pass rush is there, only positions of need are Secondary and O-Line (main issue is run blocking, could always improve in pass protection with old man brady back there tho) and i think we still got some cap room left

4 minutes ago, kmoore1521 said:

the Run D is fine, pass rush is there, only positions of need are Secondary and O-Line (main issue is run blocking, could always improve in pass protection with old man brady back there tho) and i think we still got some cap room left

The need to resign and add to their defensive front , resign their linebacker, add a db, add an 0-lineman, extend Godwin, figure out if they will resign perriman. revamp the rb group. 

I wouldnt wast $$$ on a big ticket rb who has a degenerative knee condition.

Wouldn't be surprised if they shop and trade Jones for a late round pick.

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, dashoe said:

The need to resign and add to their defensive front , resign their linebacker, add a db, add an 0-lineman, extend Godwin, figure out if they will resign perriman. revamp the rb group. 

I wouldnt wast $$$ on a big ticket rb who has a degenerative knee condition.

They tagged Shaq and signed JPP already, Arians said he wants to keep the rising defensive unit together and our LB's are pretty solid anyway as is so im not worried with the front 7

O-Line can get through the draft or thats what im hoping they do this year haha

but im with you on the balky Knee's, hopefully they eat some of that money if we do end up getting him, if we gonna spend rather melvin gordon tbh and yea Godwin getting locked up is def a priority, as long as we still have money for godwin (and Shaq hopefully) i dont care if we maybe overspend on a RB these next 2 years to capitalize on having Brady

idk if anyone would even trade a 6th for Rojo #sadface

Edited by kmoore1521
  • Like 1

If they don’t get MG or Gurley they’ll draft a top 5 RB in the draft for sure.  Rojo is nothing more than a handcuff.

On 3/18/2020 at 9:38 AM, kmoore1521 said:

Pro Football Talk's Mike Florio reports, "The Rams are currently in discussions regarding a possible trade of RB Todd Gurley."

23 hours ago, kmoore1521 said:

"They tagged Shaq and signed JPP already, Arians said he wants to keep the rising defensive unit together and our LB's are pretty solid anyway as is so im not worried with the front 7. O-Line can get through the draft or that's what im hoping they do this year. haha...if we gonna spend rather Melvin Gordon tbh and yea Godwin getting locked up is def a priority, as long as we still have money for Godwin (and Shaq hopefully) I don't care if we maybe overspend on a RB these next 2 years to capitalize on having Brady. idk if anyone would even trade a 6th for Rojo." 

Perhaps it's just GM/Coach speak, but it wasn't long ago Licht said the team had high expectation for Jones in 2020 & at the combine Arians spoke highly of him as well. Saying that he had taken a "huge step" forward! I agree that the defense & OL did some things, but I'd like to see them add. The part about blaming the secondary, it just never resinates with me, not ever. :) I've proven to be the wrong person to discuss this with because I have no use whatsoever for the people in the back! Accordingly, Tampa did pressure & sack the QB, but also had a very high blitz number & rate (2nd only to the Ravens)! I also found a high air-yards figure & a poor tackling unit that gave up a lot of points. Lots of times when we see a unit that's #1 against the run but suck at everything else, it's worth considering whether they sell out to take something away so they at least know what's coming. It may help to know how often the Bucs resorted to stacking the box in order to get the run stopped?

However, I'm a big Todd Bowles fan & even in the categories I chose to cite, there was major improvement over the last three games of 2019. That's on top of the fact that they had a slim shot at the postseason & were still bringing it! I really like what's going on here, I just wish they'd work harder to add where it will really matter. I have a thought with respect to the premise that Ronald Jones is a bust. To make their push, the Rams threw around a lot of money too & parted with draft picks. Now they're looking to reverse some of that. Rather than dumping millions into Todd Gurley, along with draft picks, I'd sooner try to move Jones & attain a RB like Alexander Mattison who's still on his rookie deal. I've read that if the Rams don't move Gurley by tomorrow sometime, they'll eat $10.5m in guarantees.  

45 minutes ago, markrc99 said:

Perhaps it's just GM/Coach speak, but it wasn't long ago Licht said the team had high expectation for Jones in 2020 & at the combine Arians spoke highly of him as well. Saying that he had taken a "huge step" forward! I agree that the defense & OL did some things, but I'd like to see them add. The part about blaming the secondary, it just never resinates with me, not ever. :) I've proven to be the wrong person to discuss this with because I have no use whatsoever for the people in the back! Accordingly, Tampa did pressure & sack the QB, but also had a very high blitz number & rate (2nd only to the Ravens)! I also found a high air-yards figure & a poor tackling unit that gave up a lot of points. Lots of times when we see a unit that's #1 against the run but suck at everything else, it's worth considering whether they sell out to take something away so they at least know what's coming. It may help to know how often the Bucs resorted to stacking the box in order to get the run stopped?

However, I'm a big Todd Bowles fan & even in the categories I chose to cite, there was major improvement over the last three games of 2019. That's on top of the fact that they had a slim shot at the postseason & were still bringing it! I really like what's going on here, I just wish they'd work harder to add where it will really matter. I have a thought with respect to the premise that Ronald Jones is a bust. To make their push, the Rams threw around a lot of money too & parted with draft picks. Now they're looking to reverse some of that. Rather than dumping millions into Todd Gurley, along with draft picks, I'd sooner try to move Jones & attain a RB like Alexander Mattison who's still on his rookie deal. I've read that if the Rams don't move Gurley by tomorrow sometime, they'll eat $10.5m in guarantees.  

If you are going to pay for a rb then pay the browns a 2nd and get Kareem Hunt over a declining Gurley

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, dashoe said:

If you are going to pay for a rb then pay the browns a 2nd and get Kareem Hunt over a declining Gurley

I dunno why anyone would trade a second rounder for a guy who had 464 combined yards last year, has battled off the filed issues, and may have just been a product of the Reid/KC situation.  Particularly in a draft LOADED with talented skills position players that would be younger and have cheaper contracts.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, JE7HorseGod said:

I dunno why anyone would trade a second rounder for a guy who had 464 combined yards last year, has battled off the filed issues, and may have just been a product of the Reid/KC situation.  Particularly in a draft LOADED with talented skills position players that would be younger and have cheaper contracts.

You trade a 2nd because he is worth a 2nd talent wise. There are not many 3rd year, every down Pro Bowl rb's available who can run pass routes and wear down defenses with each carry.  So you want to instead draft a rookie who wont be able to help Tom Brady from day 1, will probably miss key blocking assignments that can put the $30mm 43yr old QB into early retirement?

If Hunt was only a product of the Reid system then Reid would not have switched to a rbbc last season. 😂

Edited by dashoe

1 minute ago, dashoe said:

You trade a 2nd because he is worth a 2nd talent wise. There are not many 3rd year, every down Pro Bowl rb's available who can run pass routes and wear down defenses with each carry. 

If Hunt was only a product of the Reid system then Reid would not have switched to a rbbc last season. 😂

I mean, saying that a bustdown Shady wasn't able to play 16 is hardly the strongest indictment that Kareem Hunt can thrive in any system.

There will be younger, cheaper options for teams to choose from in the second round if they want a back than on the wishes and hopes that a guy who had 1700 yards three years ago under Reid and since then has been injured or suspended recaptures lighting in a bottle.

People are living in the past on this guy as much as Josh Gordon IMO.  Let it go Elsa.