affliction

Ronald Jones 2020 Outlook

8 hours ago, Power-O said:

this is your last chance folks...we all know rojo is great but if this dude starts takin reps your value is sunk big time...hope he stays on the bench

Honestly Leonard Fournette is just another guy these days. Especially compared to what Rojo is putting on tape right now. He just isn't close to being as good at this stage in his career. I understand you are worried about Fournette's pedigree and everything but don't be. He was halfway ran into the ground by the time he got out of college. Ronald Jones was a high 2nd round pick after all. He isn’t some guy they found on the street or discovered, they've always had hopes he could get here. Even if you are so worried why don't you just handcuff with Fournette? He's showing up on a lot of wires, he shouldn't cost you hardly anything to acquire.

this here thread should be required reading for every CEH owner ... ol' RoJo here is our inspiration 😁

7 hours ago, Benjamin1984 said:

Honestly Leonard Fournette is just another guy these days. Especially compared to what Rojo is putting on tape right now. He just isn't close to being as good at this stage in his career. I understand you are worried about Fournette's pedigree and everything but don't be. He was halfway ran into the ground by the time he got out of college. Ronald Jones was a high 2nd round pick after all. He isn’t some guy they found on the street or discovered, they've always had hopes he could get here. Even if you are so worried why don't you just handcuff with Fournette? He's showing up on a lot of wires, he shouldn't cost you hardly anything to acquire.

I am not saying he is going to take his job...i am saying they are going to destroy each other...i still think he will see time on the field...they did this in the games he was active...jones played good in all of those games....even in week 1 after a great performance against the saints as the lone rb they still decided to add LF into the play time....there is a very strong case to be made this will occur again.. hope im wrong for you guys but thats how i see it

• Like 1

I’m expecting Fournette to get 5-7 touches moving forward. Not a lot, but enough to downgrade RoJo a little. Still think it’s very reasonable to expect RoJo to handle 17-20 touches. That kind of usage is more than enough. 

14 minutes ago, Power-O said:

I am not saying he is going to take his job...i am saying they are going to destroy each other...i still think he will see time on the field...they did this in the games he was active...jones played good in all of those games....even in week 1 after a great performance against the saints as the lone rb they still decided to add LF into the play time....there is a very strong case to be made this will occur again.. hope im wrong for you guys but thats how i see it

There’s a stronger case that Rojo has seized the job outright and Leo is his cuff.  Every rb needs a backup 🤷‍♂️ 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Impreza178 said:

There’s a stronger case that Rojo has seized the job outright and Leo is his cuff.  Every rb needs a backup 🤷‍♂️ 

what makes one case stronger than the other? this is the same guy they had during the offseason...they knew he was playing this good...still brought in LF...still gave LF playing time...especially on passing downs where they would spread him out wide in 5 wr sets....they dont do that with rojo..they dont even leave him in during the 2 minute drill... yes 3 great performances is something to feel good about but we all know BA...he dont give a dam about bell cow back..  

Edited by Power-O

20 minutes ago, Power-O said:

what makes one case stronger than the other? this is the same guy they had during the offseason...they knew he was playing this good...still brought in LF...still gave LF playing time...especially on passing downs where they would spread him out wide in 5 wr sets....they dont do that with rojo..they dont even leave him in during the 2 minute drill... yes 3 great performances is something to feel good about but we all know BA...he dont give a dam about bell cow back..  

To be fair, Arians said from the beginning that Fournette was just a fantastic piece of insurance for RoJo. He said time and again that this was RoJo’s job to lose, and he didn’t think that would happen. Any talk of Fournette taking the starter role was pure speculation by outsiders. Justified speculation? Sure, but speculation nonetheless. Now RoJo has shown why he deserves the job. I’ve always been higher than the consensus on Fournette, but he’s literally never shown what RoJo is showing right now. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, FinsUp24 said:

To be fair, Arians said from the beginning that Fournette was just a fantastic piece of insurance for RoJo. He said time and again that this was RoJo’s job to lose, and he didn’t think that would happen. Any talk of Fournette taking the starter role was pure speculation by outsiders. Justified speculation? Sure, but speculation nonetheless. Now RoJo has shown why he deserves the job. I’ve always been higher than the consensus on Fournette, but he’s literally never shown what RoJo is showing right now. 

i am not saying LF is taking the role...i am saying RBBC with jones getting the majority of the rushing downs but they will mix in LF enough where its going to be tough to depend on him if he doesnt score... i have issued my warning...hope im wrong but this is what we saw the few games LF was involved...if you can get a bonafide WR1 or even a top RB1 on a downtrend i would strongly consider

3 hours ago, Power-O said:

What makes the case stronger....

I don’t think Arians ever disliked Rojo-  he’s just a hardazz...especially on rookies...and even moreso when you come in acting like you’ve done it and don’t focus on the details of playing the position well.   2018 Rojo came in the league very young and hyped...and didn’t study.   Redshirt.   2019 he improved a lot-  but Arians wanted more.   Wanted him to stay hungry.  Wanted him physically stronger.  Now you’re seeing the fruits of that approach.  

LF was always intended to be a COP/ emergency backup.  Arians has been clear on this.   I think we are at the point where Arians treats Rojo like a feature back- as he always hoped.    More likely than going back to a split.   

Edited by Impreza178

What I'm going to say is kind of lame, but I'm happy enough to know that we were right to draft Rojo and that he actually can sustain strong performance at the NFL level lmao. The haters came out so strong after the LF signing, sheesh.

Can't control how Arians chooses to use him from here on out, but he's proven he deserves the bulk of the carries. Here's to him staying healthy and keeping up the career turnaround. 👍

• Like 1

To be honest, I drafted him because there was no one left at the time.  Not a bad $4 auction investment.

A couple weeks ago, I would have traded him for someone half-decent.  Now it will take a significant return to get me to consider letting him go.

I'm only a 2-3 on a 10 point worried scale that Fournette will steal enough touches to seriously hurt RoJo production.  I mean three consecutive hundred yard games with at least two of the three teams being above average run defenses should have earned the spot and a least a medium long leash.

Edited by fbi314159

Get McCoy out of the rotation and give those snaps to fournette. He’s a serviceable receiver. MCCOY HAS DONE NOTHING THIS SEASON but he continues to milk 20% of snaps. McCoy is the problem, not fournette in a way

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TomBradyDaGOAT said:

RoJo has faced stacked boxes on the 6th highest percentage of carries (28.9%) in the NFL per PlayerProfiler. And 6.9 average defenders in the box (8th highest). (Fournette at 16.7%) AB should open up even more running lanes and remove some stacked boxes against RoJo. Time will tell. 

https://www.playerprofiler.com/nfl/ronald-jones/

Sounds reasonable to me. I don't see them deviating too far from what they're already doing. Brady is still 43 years old and ain't gonna sling it like he's 34. The running game is much needed to keep defenses honest. TB can't take more beatings like he did in the Bears game. He won't last. Speaking of the that game, it helps the offense tremendously if 18 targets aren't being distributed among guys named Tanner Hudson, Jayden Mickens, Cam Brate, and Tyler Johnson. Evans, Godwin, Brown, and game shape ready Gronk playing together should drop that stacked box % considerably.

• Like 1

Early read is Fournette is taking over the McCoy role (3rd down role) plus a couple 1st and 2nd down snaps. This is ideal for Jones owners as McCoy is being worked out of the rotation and 3rd down work was never a likely situation for Jones. 55/45 or 60/40 Jones to Fournette is snap percentages moving forward IMO

Not a pleasant development this week.  Unfortunately, unless either Rojo or Lenny get injured, it seems this backfield is going to be hard to predict week to week.  That TD salvaged what would have been a terrible day.  

I really thought Rojo had locked up a bigger roll with his play the previous 3 games 🤷‍♂️

2 minutes ago, ColoWrex said:

Not a pleasant development this week.  Unfortunately, unless either Rojo or Lenny get injured, it seems this backfield is going to be hard to predict week to week.  That TD salvaged what would have been a terrible day.  

I really thought Rojo had locked up a bigger roll with his play the previous 3 games 🤷‍♂️

Its shite all around

• Like 3

It felt awesome rolling him out with Fournette shelved. Now.....not so much. Shortest leash in the NFL and apparently drops are treated like fumbles in Tampa.  Glad to still see him get the bulk of the work in the second half though, the offense is strong enough that he'll definitely have opportunity to have good weeks. You just won't feel fully confident about starting him.

Fournette definitely seems like the better pass catcher but Rojo is clearly better on early downs and the redzone.

Ugly RBBC for the time being.  Probably gonna stay that way until someone gets hurt again.  Makes too much sense not to play both these guys plenty of snaps.  I don't think either Rojo or Fournette is anything more than a flex now.  

hard to sell RoJo for face value, always get low balled in a counter offer. Just have to hope Lenny gets hurt again...

Young rb steamrolling, gaining confidence, getting comfortable for the first time, and you sit the kid after one drop. Momentum killed. Some of these coaches are real dummies. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, SundayGravy said:

Young rb steamrolling, gaining confidence, getting comfortable for the first time, and you sit the kid after one drop. Momentum killed. Some of these coaches are real dummies. 

They won 45-20 and are 5-2 and in first place. Yeah, real dumb coach. 🙄

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

49 minutes ago, SkinsChargersFan said:

Sell now to someone who didn’t watch the game.

The TD should keep his stock high enough to get some good value for him.

Agreed.

21 minutes ago, THE_MAGIC_MAN said:

hard to sell RoJo for face value, always get low balled in a counter offer. Just have to hope Lenny gets hurt again...

Maybe it's not being low balled... maybe that's the true fair value.  Tampa led this game throughout and scored 45 points yet Jones needed a late bailout TD to (barely) hit double digits...