affliction

Ronald Jones 2020 Outlook

I have 2 unrelated statements:

1. With the NFLPA effectively canceling the pre-season I will now confidently draft Rojo around RB 24. He’ll without a doubt get the first shot and Brady is good at making his RBs look good.

2. I read an article where it said that Vaughn was a pass blocking extraordinaire, which I found Comical. As a 23 year old in college you should be able to pick up the basic college blitz schemes and be physical enough to block 18/19/20 year olds. And to save some back and forth, until Vaughn proves he’s a better pass blocking RB than Jones in the NFL he is not, I’m not playing this game. He’s not Zeke when it comes to pass blocking as a college back.

• Like 4

21 hours ago, Ddam2013 said:

I have 2 unrelated statements:

1. With the NFLPA effectively canceling the pre-season I will now confidently draft Rojo around RB 24. He’ll without a doubt get the first shot and Brady is good at making his RBs look good.

2. I read an article where it said that Vaughn was a pass blocking extraordinaire, which I found Comical. As a 23 year old in college you should be able to pick up the basic college blitz schemes and be physical enough to block 18/19/20 year olds. And to save some back and forth, until Vaughn proves he’s a better pass blocking RB than Jones in the NFL he is not, I’m not playing this game. He’s not Zeke when it comes to pass blocking as a college back.

By default any JAG is a better passblocker than RoJo. He has been horrendous in the NFL.

3 hours ago, joshua18 said:

By default any JAG is a better passblocker than RoJo. He has been horrendous in the NFL.

Not true at all. Once again a 22/23 year old Vaughn should be able to easily pick up 18/19/20 year old college blitzers. Players in college are still physically maturing so someone who’s been in college for 5 years will have a pretty large edge here. 
Jones’ stats at 22 against NFL players are infinitely more impressive than Vaughn’s stats at the same age against college players.

Do I think either of these backs are the starter next year no I don’t, but for this year I think Jones is easily the better player.

Will be amusing if the Bucs don't sign a capable veteran and Rojo whiffs on an assignment and never sees the field again because Brady has deemed it so. I'd be really surprised if the Bucs don't sign a veteran RB that can block and pass catch to help protect Brady.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Rojo is the back to own in Tampa for 2020.   His highlights were nothing short of jaw dropping at times.   Arians does not suffer rookies kindly— goes back for years.    The odds that a rookie back who was spotty in college pass pro comes in with minimal camp and PS...and becomes more than a COP are very very low.   

this guy is a big time bargain going AFTER Vaughan in many redrafts.   I’ll lap up every share I can get at that price.  

• Like 1

Remember when people were excited about rookie Tevin Coleman on the Falcons and completely ignored Devonta Freeman? 2015 Devonta Freeman remembers.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Everyone loves the new shiny thing, in this case the unproven rook Vaughn.  The fact that Vaughn is being drafted in front of Rojo confirms that.  Rojo isn't the type of draft pick that will get the room saying "Ooohhh...good pick", but I think he's more than capable and will return value as your RB3 or flex.

8 minutes ago, CooL said:

Everyone loves the new shiny thing, in this case the unproven rook Vaughn.  The fact that Vaughn is being drafted in front of Rojo confirms that.  Rojo isn't the type of draft pick that will get the room saying "Ooohhh...good pick", but I think he's more than capable and will return value as your RB3 or flex.

Their ADP's on fantasy pros are 2 spots apart (Vaughn 79, RoJo 81). It's basically a pic'em which seems exactly right given the situation.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, paulwall29 said:

Their ADP's on fantasy pros are 2 spots apart (Vaughn 79, RoJo 81). It's basically a pic'em which seems exactly right given the situation.

I got both of them in one of my redrafts, both on bench.

Would be good to know, need to drop one of them to add myself a kicker before the season starts. Leaning towards keep R Jones, but Ke'shawn is unknown.

1 hour ago, zen25 said:

I got both of them in one of my redrafts, both on bench.

Would be good to know, need to drop one of them to add myself a kicker before the season starts. Leaning towards keep R Jones, but Ke'shawn is unknown.

I at one point last year owned RJ, Peyton Barber, and also Ogunwale or whatever the heck his name was.  Not going to bank on the Bucs backfield again like that.  Will just likely pick the cheaper guy.

I don't think much of this guy but he should definitely be drafted ahead of Vaughn and the less training camp/preseason there is the more the advantage goes to Jones.  

I also wouldn't just assume this offense will be awesome.  It should be, but it might be more like #10 or #12 than the #5 everyone is assuming.

To be blunt, RoJo and Vaughn don't do anything significantly better than the other.  Sure each have their style, but neither are thumpers, neither have great vision, neither show incredibly soft hands, neither stuff lanes in pass pro, and neither offer steady play down-to-down to know what you're going to get.  What that tells me is they are interchangeable, and unless RoJo's experience keeps Vaughn off the field this will be a full blown rbbc.

I do envision TB12 making better choices all over the field than Winston.  This should lead to better game script for these two.  I see myself rolling the dice on RoJo in redrafts.

On 7/5/2020 at 12:53 PM, sSektor said:

Remember when people were excited about rookie Tevin Coleman on the Falcons and completely ignored Devonta Freeman? 2015 Devonta Freeman remembers.

Yes, 2015 Freeman and Jones are the same thing.

In fact, if Freeman was an entire 0.5 YPC worse, got 400 less rushing yards, 5 less rushing TDs, caught 40 less passes, caught for 300 less yards, and caught 3 less TDs they’d be exactly the same!

What a silly comparison...

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Rojo looks like a solid pick up this yr.(To me at least). I look at it like this. He's younger than Vaughn, has 2 yr in the league and is going in to his 2nd season of the same offence  more or less. Plus the Brady Factor.

Besides playing with Brady and having the same coaching staff he showed great progression from yr 1 to 2 and from the blurbs i've read about him this offseason im expecting that progression to continue. 

Edited by NInsko
  • Like 2

I still think the Bucs bring in a veteran (ring chaser) RB for cheap during camp. Who knows? 🤷🏻‍♂️

Posted (edited)

Through the first 4 games of 2019, the Bucs handed Ronald Jones 10 redzone carries. In the next 7, they gave him 8. In the final 4, only 2. Moreover, they benched the guy in week 13 for a missed blocking assignment and didn't give him a single goal line carry all year long (13 given to their undrafted backs). Through the first 23 games of his career (until week 16 last year), Jones accumulated only 585 rushing yards on 170 carries (3.44 yards per carry / 25.43 rush yards per game). Not impressive. If it weren't for Peyton Barber's week 16 fumble and subsequent benching, RJ probably doesn't appear to finish the year strong (25 carries for 183 yards in weeks 16 and 17). What may be overlooked in that finish, Jones fumbled twice in the week 17 overtime loss to the Falcons (including one lost less than 5 minutes into the game). Who knows whether he would have kept the job if the season were not essentially over at that point. Then the Bucs sign Tom Brady. Then they draft an RB with the 76th pick in the draft.

This guy is not the answer.

Edited by MrCantaloupe

1 hour ago, MrCantaloupe said:

Through the first 4 games of 2019, the Bucs handed Ronald Jones 10 redzone carries. In the next 7, they gave him 8. In the final 4, only 2. Moreover, they benched the guy in week 13 for a missed blocking assignment and didn't give him a single goal line carry all year long (13 given to their undrafted backs). Through the first 23 games of his career (until week 16 last year), Jones accumulated only 585 rushing yards on 170 carries (3.44 yards per carry / 25.43 rush yards per game). Not impressive. If it weren't for Peyton Barber's week 16 fumble and subsequent benching, RJ probably doesn't appear to finish the year strong (25 carries for 183 yards in weeks 16 and 17). What may be overlooked in that finish, Jones fumbled twice in the week 17 overtime loss to the Falcons (including one lost less than 5 minutes into the game). Who knows whether he would have kept the job if the season were not essentially over at that point. Then the Bucs sign Tom Brady. Then they draft an RB with the 76th pick in the draft.

This guy is not the answer.

Correction: The third weekly split should be 5 games, not 4.

I hope this line of thinking persists for just a few weeks longer, but I’m losing hope that it will.

• Like 1

Same. I get his flaws, but he’s also shown flashes. Arians has a history of being really hard on young players for mistakes. RoJo has been working his tail off this offseason and added some muscle for more rushing power. I’m all over it at adp

• Like 1

I'm strongly considering moving on RoJo.

Guys I'm debating him against are Jordan Howard (Competing with Breida) on a potentially league worst offense

and Juice (competing with AP and a rookie I know little about in a new Washington Football Team Ron Rivera team)

Any thoughts on who yall would roll with here?  Why?

2 minutes ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

Guys I'm debating him against are Jordan Howard (Competing with Breida) on a potentially league worst offense

and Juice (competing with AP and a rookie I know little about in a new Washington Football Team Ron Rivera team)

For me, he's a no brainier over all those guys.

Way more upside which is what I'm looking for in that draft range.   Although he could rise as we get closer to the season.

Hoping he stays where he is. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

Easy choice right now, all about upside IMO

2 hours ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

Rojo by a mile