kmoore1521

Todd Gurley 2020 Outlook

It doesnt make sense to cut an expensive, washed up Freeman to than sign Gurley who might be also be washed up. Maybe to get more Bulldog fans to buy tickets.

Good fit for Gurley since he wont have much competition for red zone touches.

Seems like a worthwhile gamble if it’s only $5M.

Just now, BMcP said:

Seems like a worthwhile gamble if it’s only $5M.

Exactly, what's to lose? Draft a backup and run TG into the ground. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, mmcc1029 said:

run TG into the ground. 

Image result for mission accomplished

• Haha 3

51 minutes ago, mmcc1029 said:

run TG into the ground. 

umm....

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, devaster said:

Because college defenders are equivalent to NFL defenders...

This is true, but CEH was easily one of the best blocking RBs in college football. It will be a strength of his in the NFL. 

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

This is true, but CEH was easily one of the best blocking RBs in college football. It will be a strength of his in the NFL. 

I'ma just leave this here, food for thought...

https://www.tampabay.com/sports/bucs/2020/02/29/why-lsus-clyde-edwards-helaire-is-the-perfect-back-for-the-bucs/

Edwards-Helaire has been well-trained by LSU running backs coach Kevin Faulk, the former Tigers star who played 13 seasons with the Patriots.

“Ultimately it was, he walked in the door, I asked him about pass (protection), and we immediately got working on it because I understood his standpoint from it,’’ Edwards-Helaire said. “I mean, he blocked for Tom Brady, one of the greatest quarterbacks in the history of the football league.’’

1 minute ago, JE7HorseGod said:

I'ma just leave this here, food for thought...

https://www.tampabay.com/sports/bucs/2020/02/29/why-lsus-clyde-edwards-helaire-is-the-perfect-back-for-the-bucs/

Edwards-Helaire has been well-trained by LSU running backs coach Kevin Faulk, the former Tigers star who played 13 seasons with the Patriots.

“Ultimately it was, he walked in the door, I asked him about pass (protection), and we immediately got working on it because I understood his standpoint from it,’’ Edwards-Helaire said. “I mean, he blocked for Tom Brady, one of the greatest quarterbacks in the history of the football league.’’

He’s easily my favorite RB in this class.

• Like 1

Just now, BMcP said:

He’s easily my favorite RB in this class.

He's a great fit for today's game, and as you said will likely be available after the first.

There's certainly something to be said of the Swifts, Dobbins and Taylors of the world as well.

I'm not sure if people who don't follow the college game as much are aware how loaded this class is for skills position guys.  On paper one of the best we've seen in a long time IMO.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, JE7HorseGod said:

He's a great fit for today's game, and as you said will likely be available after the first.

There's certainly something to be said of the Swifts, Dobbins and Taylors of the world as well.

I'm not sure if people who don't follow the college game as much are aware how loaded this class is for skills position guys.  On paper one of the best we've seen in a long time IMO.

Agreed - I just think he’s best equipped skills-wise to become highly relevant in fantasy immediately.

Edited by BMcP
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, BMcP said:

Strange comment given your handle

McCaffrey falls under that category as well. I was just trying to give an example. None of us knew CMC would be this good coming into the league. The point is , if the RB is supposedly a generational talent , to draft one in the top10 is acceptable. 

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, RunCMC said:

McCaffrey falls under that category as well. I was just trying to give an example. None of us knew CMC would be this good coming into the league. The point is , if the RB is supposedly a generational talent , to draft one in the top10 is acceptable. 

I thought he’d be pretty good - maybe not this good, but boy did he land in the perfect spot fantasy-wise.

But yes - if you choose to draft a back that early, you better know he’s going to be awesome in all aspects.

Edited by BMcP
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, BMcP said:

I thought he’d be pretty good - maybe not this good, but boy did he land in the perfect spot fantasy-wise.

But yes - if you choose to draft a back that early, you better know he’s going to be awesome in all aspects.

and hopefully by the end of his rookie contract you have a team built to the point where you can contend for the SB before you sign him to an expensive extension

• Like 1

6 hours ago, dashoe said:

and hopefully by the end of his rookie contract you have a team built to the point where you can contend for the SB before you sign him to an expensive extension

To be fair everything was trending in that direction for LA. Gurley was a full, dual threat beast for a year and a half (I know, very short window). Almost 4000 yards and 40 TDs in a 2 season span is incredible by any standards. They were a Superbowl team just 2 seasons ago and Gurley did alot of the heavy lifting early on that season before he broke down. 80+ yfs in 11 of the first 12 games that season and 19 TDs in that span. If they would've won the Superbowl that year (just one more game), that's all you could ask for from any player.  Unfortunately, chronic injuries, that no one could've predicted would come to affect Gurley as fast as they did, happened. Other shortcomings on the Rams roster, such as their QB taking steps backwards, and also being in a stacked division also led to the Rams star to fade quickly. And you're left with what it is now, instead of what it could've been in a perfect Rams world. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, ThreadKiller said:

It absolutely never makes sense to take a RB that early IMO, I don't care who they are. Running backs don't win you championships.

Sony Michel did. Underrated use of a late 1st rd pick by NE.  He carried them in the playoffs as a rookie.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Nickmo said:

"To be fair everything was trending in that direction for LA. Gurley was a full, dual threat beast... They were a Superbowl team just 2 seasons ago and Gurley did alot of the heavy lifting... Unfortunately, chronic injuries, that no one could've predicted would come to affect Gurley..."

I liked a lot of what you said, but I took it as more of eulogy, as if it's over. :) The eliteness that separated him, he's not that so much anymore, but Todd Gurley at 80% is still better than most RBs in the NFL. Perhaps he is done, but I think he's going to do well back home, playing for Atlanta. Ryan is a far more accomplished QB than Goff, plus Julio Jones? I'm anxious to peg Gurley's adp.    

7 hours ago, joshua18 said:

Sony Michel did. Underrated use of a late 1st rd pick by NE.  He carried them in the playoffs as a rookie.

I’m a Patriots fan and Sony didn’t win them the championship. The run blocking and scheme allowed for him to succeed. He played extremely well within the circumstances but it’s not like “no other rb could have done what Sony did if in the same position.”

• Like 3

9 hours ago, joshua18 said:

Any rb with fresh legs could have produced for NE that season.   Not a good first round pick- as usual-  for the pats 

• Like 1

I think Atlanta's draft has laid out their plans for the year: run Todd Gurley into the ground. I just don't see it in Ito Smith or Brian Hill. Maybe they sign a FA, I dunno. But if he stays healthy, he'll have an unimpeded shot at carving out a three-down role, and look out if Atlanta win a few games early.

Pros: easily best RB on team. Return of majority of 2019 offense. One-year "IDGAF" contract.
Cons: Todd Gurley's left knee.

I will probably take shares in him this year. The ceiling is tantalizing.

• Like 1

On 3/20/2020 at 11:37 AM, JE7HorseGod said:

I know this is the Gurley thread, so I feel like a hi-jacker...but I absolutely agree with you about how loaded this skills class is. I was just telling a friend this a couple of days ago. When you look at the three QBs and the RB class and the ridiculous number of WRs, this might be one of the deepest and most impressive drafts that I can remember. 

It’s definitely going to make for a lot of interesting drafts this summer. 

• Like 1

The ultimate risk/reward pick this year. The ceiling is tantalizing, but the floor is scary. Probably the guy I will be paying the most attention to in preseason (assuming he gets some reps).