2ndCitySox

Your favorite player. All-time.

I don't really have a team. I was a Tigers fan as a super small kid via my parents, then Dodgers after moving to LA.  After they treated their fans like trash for years and years, I was out. 

So anyway,as an unrestricted free agent fan, it's Ichiro.  Him coming over as this unknown, mysterious star.  People thought Asian players might not ever be great position players and so there was a fair amount of doubt.  He just kills it.  

Outfield assist is my favorite play, so there's that.  

He had his own philosophy about hitting, which might not have been optimal, but was cool.  There's still this air of mystery, as he had great power in BP.  He just wanted to play in a Ty Cobb kinda style.  I think it's a far more exciting style than BB/K/HR and nothing else. (Really, I like having players with all different styles) Some say he could have done well in a home run derby.

Was also a good pitcher.  It's a shame they waited so long to give him a shot.  How typical of MLB to just throw away an exciting fan experience.  Not saying he should have been Ohtani, but good greif, this huge superstar wants to pitch in some blowouts, let him. Let us see it.

Epic HR on his return to Seattle with the fans going nuts, holding up signs in Japanese.  I love how baseball has become such a cross cultural game.

Seems like a really cool guy.

• Like 5

Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, MrBrett said:

George Brett

Great memories of him, including his quest to hit .400.

A few infamous ones. Pine tar, going ballistic, and hemorrhoids. Lol

George was my guy, too. I was blessed in that in the twelve games I got to see him in person, he hit .500 with six HR.  I’ve always maintained that if he’d have provided me with season tickets, it would have guaranteed he’d have been the best ever! ;)

Edited by Bandito
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Mark "The Bird" Fidrych. The only baseball player to grace the cover of the Rolling Stone magazine. 1976 was magic. What a season and what a guy.

Posted (edited)

Mark Buehrle.  Won by being a competitor and intelligent rather than having pure stuff.

Edited by Rotocious
  • Like 2

Bryce Harper. As a die hard Nats fan it hurt having him go to Philly. I love the attitude the brashness the fair flip all of it. That MVP season was a ride. 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Rotocious said:

Mark Buehrle.  Won by being a competitor and intelligent rather than having pure stuff.

Plus you know if he was pitching the game would take under 2 hours and you could get on with your day

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, PhilFan said:

Pete Rose(on the field).

willie mays

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sidearmer said:

Sidd Finch.

Yes! I actually saw him pitch for the Hoboken Zephyrs. His first pitch broke the sound barrier. He inspired Chuck Yeager to do it in a jet.

Curtis Granderson

Never really let me down in fantasy for the most part and seemed to be a good all-around dude. I never found myself rooting against him.

George Bell.  One of the most feared hitters of the 80s and 1987 AL MVP.  And he would kick your a** if you threw him chin music.

On 3/21/2020 at 10:17 AM, mavsfan23 said:

Loved his batting stance, and was on the Rangers when I first started watching baseball. He may still be playing in some obscure league somewhere. Steve Buechele was another favorite. Juan Gonzalez and Nolan were obviously high on the list too. 

Julio.jpg

Watched all these guys at the old Arlington Stadium many o times.  Great memories.

• Like 1

On 3/20/2020 at 5:25 PM, charger_ss24 said:

Ken Griffey, Jr. I even wore 24 during my high school baseball days.

You a Mariner fan?

I am, and PAMPERS cried way too much.

On 3/20/2020 at 5:46 PM, 6Kill said:

Donnie Baseball

0F7B56BE-AFF4-4D95-A13D-3AF6B54F5B4D.jpeg

Dont let Kershaw read that

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, HOOTIE said:

You a Mariner fan?

I am, and PAMPERS cried way too much.

I’m a royals fan, but Griffey was my favorite player.

• Thanks 1