2ndCitySox

Your favorite player. All-time.

Image result for howard johnson mets

Not the best, but HoJo was my first FAVORITE player, and as such retains special status...

• Like 3

Pedro Martinez.  Watching him pitch in person was an electric experience.  You knew you were watching greatness.  From 1998-2002, before Sox popularity/attendance really peaked with the crazy 2003/2004 season finishes, you could walk up to Fenway the day Pedro was pitching and buy tickets at the gate.  That was the pinnacle of my live-baseball-watching life.  

Roberto Alomar as a Jay fan, Overall Vlad Sr.

I loved all those Dodgers of the late ‘70s.   My room was plastered with their posters and pictures. But then one day Ron Cey became my favorite.   Camera Day, 1979.   I’ve always been short (like him), and there I was ten years old and two feet tall getting trampled by adults.   All of a sudden the crowd parted like Moses parting the Red Sea and there’s Cey getting everyone the hell out of the way so I could have my picture taken with him.  He saw me getting steamrolled and sought me out.   I always thought that was awesome.  

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

So many...hard to play fair and say one.  I'll just name some from different points of watching since I was a kid and I'm sure I am forgetting some.

Hittters:

Phil Bradley (Mariners OF)

Eric Davis

Gary Sheffield

Fernando Tatis Jr

Ptichers:

Mario Soto (Reds)

Pedro Martinez

Javier Vazquez

Tim Lincecum

Edited by EWV1

11 hours ago, mbc1999 said:

I loved all those Dodgers of the late ‘70s.   My room was plastered with their posters and pictures. But then one day Ron Cey became my favorite.   Camera Day, 1979.   I’ve always been short (like him), and there I was ten years old and two feet tall getting trampled by adults.   All of a sudden the crowd parted like Moses parting the Red Sea and there’s Cey getting everyone the hell out of the way so I could have my picture taken with him.  He saw me getting steamrolled and sought me out.   I always thought that was awesome.  

I just saw an episode of Columbo with Cey as a guest star. He was playing poker with a bunch of other celebs.

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 1

Some players I followed pretty exclusively over my life at some point.  Some was for 2-3 seasons and some were for there whole careers. Some of their careers were not very long either. 

Bill Plummer

Dave Collins

Vince Coleman

Larry Owen: His Mother was My study hall monitor. The only ML player to ever go to my high school.

Tom Veryzer Everyone always said I looked like him for my batting stance

Jim Sunberg

Benito Santiago

Joe Torre

Lou Brock is my favorite all time thou I always liked the base stealers and Catchers since that what I did in LL. I stole bases and Catch LOL  

Mine is in my avi.

Fantasy-wise; Miguel Cabrera.

Hmmm...boy not sure...

• Like 3

7 hours ago, BMcP said:

Hmmm...boy not sure...

Then is must be Ted Simmons? 

• Thanks 1

On 3/26/2020 at 1:07 PM, mbc1999 said:

My entire baseball career...little league through high school...my infielder gloves signature in the palm...Ron Cey.

• Like 1

Mark McGwire.  When I was a kid I played 1st base just like him.  He was a monster power hitter with gold glove potential and seemed to be an all-around good person as well.  I always tried to get #25 so I could be just like him.  I was a teenager during the home run chase of 1998 and that was one of the most exciting times to me.  I actually turned down sexual contact with my g/f at the time so I could listen to press conferences during his historic chase with Sammy Sosa.  I was that enamored by the whole thing.  

Obviously, I was a bit heartbroken when the steroid scandal blew up as he was my idol.  The one saving grace I can carry is that he was a monster power HR hitter even before he was on the juice.  Dude set the rookie AL home run record when he was a stick.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Frank Thomas aka The Big Hurt. My family and I moved close to Birmingham when I was 8. Got to see him play for Barons a couple times and remember being in awe as a kid when I saw him. Went on to the White Sox and well the rest is history. My dad and I actually went up to the HOF when he got inducted. 

• Like 2

On 3/27/2020 at 6:22 AM, aMediumPace said:

Donald Arthur Mattingly

DAM

On 3/27/2020 at 8:36 PM, cizastro said:

Mark McGwire.  When I was a kid I played 1st base just like him.  He was a monster power hitter with gold glove potential and seemed to be an all-around good person as well.  I always tried to get #25 so I could be just like him.  I was a teenager during the home run chase of 1998 and that was one of the most exciting times to me.  I actually turned down sexual contact with my g/f at the time so I could listen to press conferences during his historic chase with Sammy Sosa.  I was that enamored by the whole thing.  

Obviously, I was a bit heartbroken when the steroid scandal blew up as he was my idol.  The one saving grace I can carry is that he was a monster power HR hitter even before he was on the juice.  Dude set the rookie AL home run record when he was a stick.  

Did you try to get that "contact" back after the steroid scandal? "Oops my bad."

On 3/26/2020 at 10:49 AM, JE7HorseGod said:

Image result for ozzie smith backflip

Osborne Earl Smith 

"The Wizard"

15x All-Star

13x Gold Glove

580 SB (22nd all-time)

HOF 2002

• Like 1