2ndCitySox

Your favorite player. All-time.

On 3/22/2020 at 8:55 AM, MrWannaBee said:

willie mays

and Bobby Murcer

• Like 1

On 3/28/2020 at 10:03 AM, HK-47 said:

Frank Thomas aka The Big Hurt. My family and I moved close to Birmingham when I was 8. Got to see him play for Barons a couple times and remember being in awe as a kid when I saw him. Went on to the White Sox and well the rest is history. My dad and I actually went up to the HOF when he got inducted. 

Oh man, good call.  Frank Thomas was always "my guy" back in my high school days of playing fantasy baseball.  If I couldn't get Jr, I loved drafting The Big Hurt in the first round.

• Like 1

As far as favorite players go, I’m sure Al Kaline is on plenty of lists.

He was an exceptional person on and off the field, may he RIP.

• Like 1

Ken Griffey Jr.

Clayton Kershaw

Greg Maddux

Raul Mondesi

Jesse Barfield.  162 OF assists.  The home runs were nice but I would watch just to see him throw out runners from the OF. 

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, TheBoatmen said:

Jesse Barfield.  162 OF assists.  The home runs were nice but I would watch just to see him throw out runners from the OF. 

Barfield. George Bell. Lloyd Moseby. Loved that whole OF.

• Like 1

On 4/8/2020 at 9:32 AM, Backdoor Slider said:

Barfield. George Bell. Lloyd Moseby. Loved that whole OF.

George Bell.  When I was a kid I was at a game at Anaheim Stadium and in the bottom of the ninth or maybe extras, I don’t remember, Brian Downing hit a liner down the left field line headed for the seats for a walk-off homer.  George Bell dove into the stands after it.  He had the ball when he headed in but didn’t have it when he climbed out.   Downing circled the bases and the entire Angels team raced to the clubhouse as fast as they could while Bell went nuts pointing at some fan who took the ball out of his glove.  Boy he was mad!    It was ruled a HR but by the time they were done arguing I think most of the Angels had probably left the park anyway.  

• Like 1

Ivan "Pudge" Rodriquez. The guy was an absolute monster at his position. Could you guys imagine compared to catchers these days his 1999 season. 116 runs 35 hr's 113 rbi 332 average and 25 sb's good lord.

Randy "The Big Unit" Johnson. Similar to Pudge he was just really dominate at his position and was fun to watch pitch.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, HackAZach said:

Nolan Ryan

I actually met him by chance at a rodeo a few years back. One of my childhood favorites!

• Like 1

my favorite player has always been Fred McGriff.

I'm about 2 hours south of Toronto. as a kid in the 80's I loved the Blue Jays and McGriff. I had a bunch of memorabilia, tshirts, posters. my favorite number was even 19.

I was only a kid but I knew players sometimes changed teams, but I never even imagined that McGiff could be traded, he was young and in his prime.

then came the trade with the Padres, McGriff and Tony Fernandez for Joe Carter and Roberto Alomar.

I was devastated. I didn't understand how they could trade McGriff.

it worked out for the Jays with 2 World Series championships, but I still felt impacted by the trade. I haven't really had a favorite player like that since.

• Like 2

Jim Rice- but was past his prime when I was old enough to really understand.

Frank Thomas after that

As a kid, Wade Boggs. As an adult, Pedro.

• Like 1