2ndCitySox

Your favorite player. All-time.

Tony Oliva. Before the pandemic, I used to see and talk to Tony at a local health club. Really a nice guy.

Oliva had remarkable rookie season in 1964, when he hit .323/.359/.557 with 32 homers, 43 doubles and 12 stolen bases and became the first rookie in MLB history to win a batting title. That was the first in a stretch of eight seasons in which the franchise legend made eight All-Star teams, won three batting titles, led the AL in hits five times and even won a Gold Glove Award in right field. 8 knee operations derailed his career.

Oliva had a 43.1 War, and a career .304 batting average. He totaled 1,917 hits, 329 doubles, 220 home runs and 947 RBI

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, rabaak said:

Tony Oliva. Before the pandemic, I used to see and talk to Tony at a local health club. Really a nice guy.

Oliva had remarkable rookie season in 1964, when he hit .323/.359/.557 with 32 homers, 43 doubles and 12 stolen bases and became the first rookie in MLB history to win a batting title. That was the first in a stretch of eight seasons in which the franchise legend made eight All-Star teams, won three batting titles, led the AL in hits five times and even won a Gold Glove Award in right field. 8 knee operations derailed his career.

Oliva had a 43.1 War, and a career .304 batting average. He totaled 1,917 hits, 329 doubles, 220 home runs and 947 RBI

A forgotten star truly a great playerA forgotten star truly a great player

10 hours ago, rabaak said:

his 1965 Topps All Star rookie card is 1 of my all time favorites:

images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcQvmozb_WZIQbnn5DRxefSeWaohQ1MIit-_ACsE7niwtPCRa8xf4JbU_EsxL-k&usqp=CAc

As a kid my favorite players from before my time were Ty Cobb/Joe Dimaggio. My favorite player for my home team (Orioles) were BJ Surhoff, and Harold Baines. Rest of MLB: Bo Jackson (first baseball card i bought was his 1987 Topps), then Ken Griffey Jr who had the smoothest swing ever.  Currently playing always like Kris Bryant. 

Tom Seaver and Carlton Fisk, As a White Sox fan I must say it was awesome to get them together on my team, even though Tom was toward the end (yea toward the end for Seaver was still 15 wins and a low 3s era), it was still awesome to root for Pudge and Tom Terrific together.