bigbossman

Just had our draft....how bad did I do?

We keep 9 players every year and I traded away my first round pick in this draft.   Having only kept Snell I drafted pitchers with my first 10 picks...how did I do?

1. (4) Mookie Betts (LAD - CF,RF)
2. (21) Alex Bregman (Hou - 3B,SS)
3. (28) Juan Soto (Was - LF)
4. (45) Freddie Freeman (Atl - 1B)
5. (52) Vladimir Guerrero Jr. (Tor - 3B)
6. (69) Eugenio Suárez (Cin - 3B)
7. (76) Ketel Marte (Ari - 2B,SS,CF)
8. (93) Luis Robert (CWS - CF)
9. (100) Blake Snell (TB - SP)
10. (121) Brandon Woodruff (Mil - SP)
11. (132) Kenley Jansen (LAD - RP)
12. (141) Zack Wheeler (Phi - SP)
13. (153) Madison Bumgarner (Ari - SP)
14. (161) Raisel Iglesias (Cin - RP)
15. (172) Lance Lynn (Tex - SP)
16. (189) Robbie Ray (Ari - SP)
17. (196) Carlos Carrasco (Cle - SP,RP)
18. (209) Joe Jiménez (Det - RP)
19. (213) A.J. Puk (Oak - RP)
20. (220) Adam Eaton (Was - LF,RF)
21. (237) Andrew McCutchen (Phi - LF,CF)
22. (261) Sam Hilliard (Col - CF)
23. (268) Avisaíl García (Mil - CF,RF)
24. (269) Wilson Ramos (NYM - C)
25. (274) César Hernández (Cle - 2B)
26. (285) Nick Madrigal (CWS - 2B,SS)
27. (292) Alec Bohm (Phi - 3B)
28. (293) Jarred Kelenic (Sea - CF)

Bumping to solicit comments on my pitching staff...competitive enough to finish in top 25% in a 6 category Roto using the standard categories plus IP?

Note: have a waiver claim in for Spencer Howard dropping Madigral

I don't know, understanding your draft started after Snell, my IR was kind of you did well on the staff but needed to grab some better MI speed and RP to compete this season. The fact you tried to address it at the end with Madrigal, but have already jumped ship on him via your waiver claim on Howard, makes me think you probably missed out on a shortstop like Segura. I think the domino effect happened when you took Carrasco on his upside because he fell so far due to everyone avoiding him on his injury risk, and I guess that is where I would have gone to a different pick; grab your 2nd closer there instead of Jimenez in the next round. Then start getting hitting. It's hard to know if any decent young starters were available who could become keepers; your team is obviously built on strong hitters, and you should expect at least 7 or 8 to remain keepers next year; so if you had a shot at a guy like Luzardo, May, Urias, Lamet, someone like that with keeper upside, you should have gotten them. AJ Puk won't be able to show enough this season to be a keeper, but you can always clean up on vets like Wheeler and Mason Saunders year after year. 

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the great feedback!  I did leave MI a bit late, Cesar Hernandez, while not sexy, seems like he will be solid leading off for CLE this year...he helps a little in every category.   Would you keep Madigral over him?  Luzardo went two picks before mine in the first round of our draft, Lament went next at pick 135 ( I took Wheeler 6 picks later), Urias went pick 150, three picks ahead of Mr. Rodeo, May went 9 picks after I took Puk...

Will definitely look to upgrade MI when possible, usually someone comes out of nowhere...though am interested if you think I should keep Madigral over Bohm (targeting Kelenic as a 2021 keeper for me)...

Thx again!

Posted (edited)

Team should be moderately competitive, largely in part to the strength of the nine keepers.  Mixed bag of selections following Snell.    Not sure if I skimmed over too fast, but didn't take notice of the league size or type (Dynasty/Re-Draft) which would help add context.  

In a vacuum solid value was secured in the middle rounds with Ray and Lynn.  Ray has a new over the top delivery that he worked on with Greinke this off-season in hopes of limiting his free passes.  Early spring results were encouraging. Lynn is still undervalued for as good as he was a season ago.  Fastball gains are "real".    Jansen has been unworldly this spring, using more two-seamers and sliders with better velocity in lieu of a cutter heavy approach.  Like him alot.  

Madbum & Iglesias wouldn't have been targets of mine.  Bumgarners' 4.47 DRA over the last two seasons is reason for skepticism in addition to the road splits during his recent years in San Fran.  Away from Oracle his production tanked (5.95 ERA), and a more hitter friendly Arizona home-environment will only further expose his diminishing stuff.  Iglesias also was mediocre at best, minus the save totals.  Carrasco is a great later selection, assuming the elbow concerns are as minor as currently advertised.    

Like the Hernandez & Avi Garcia picks, both of whom gain value in new surroundings.  Based on the quality of prospects secured at the end of the draft, may want to invest in additional prospect arms with close proximity.  

Consider cutting ties with Hilliard over Madrigal.  Didn't do himself any favors this spring, displaying poor pitch recognition (.176 AVG; striking out 1/3 of the time) which will likely punch his ticket to AAA to begin the year, with Desmond/Tapia platooning in LF.  Daza also had a sensational showing which makes the outfield mix more murky.

Longer winded response than you probably preferred lol.  Hope it helps! 

GL

Edited by F@ndemonium

1 hour ago, bigbossman said:

Thanks for the great feedback!  I did leave MI a bit late, Cesar Hernandez, while not sexy, seems like he will be solid leading off for CLE this year...he helps a little in every category.   Would you keep Madigral over him?  Luzardo went two picks before mine in the first round of our draft, Lament went next at pick 135 ( I took Wheeler 6 picks later), Urias went pick 150, three picks ahead of Mr. Rodeo, May went 9 picks after I took Puk...

Will definitely look to upgrade MI when possible, usually someone comes out of nowhere...though am interested if you think I should keep Madigral over Bohm (targeting Kelenic as a 2021 keeper for me)...

Thx again!

I like Hernandez. You kind of do need what Madrigal would potentially offer, steals and speed. I'd rather own him than Mallex...though I'd rather own both in your shoes, Smith over Hillard, and hope Mallex can bank you a decent amount of steals before he loses the job and/or Madrigal gets the call up. Is Dyson on the WW? A  pure speed burner would look good on your team coming out of the gate. 

Mallex was drafted but Dyson is available.

You'd drop Hillard for Dyson?

10 hours ago, bigbossman said:

Mallex was drafted but Dyson is available.

You'd drop Hillard for Dyson?

Maybe...you're gonna need a boost in steals somewhere, so I'd work towards a trade first. Not a big bump, mind you, so a waiver wire player like Dyson is likely to help you during the season more than HIllard, who will get sporadic playing time. Dyson's not a great option, because he'll fall into a platoon quickly, but you should view that spot as a revolving door based on who's hot during the season. There will be more steals sleepers to emerge eventually.