paulwall29

Chris Godwin 2020 Outlook

Posted (edited)

This offseason's biggest question remains unanswered: Will Chris Godwin give up his number to the GOAT?

in all seriousness, I love the Brady/Godwin pairing for fantasy. Godwin will be Brady's Edelman and he is a far more explosive player. While it's hard to top the numbers Jameis offered for fantasy last season, Godwin is still a strong buy for me this year. Getting Brady was the best possible replacement for Winston.

Edited by paulwall29

LOL as of anyone needed a reason to buy Chris Godwin...

I think you'd have to spend a first or second rounder to get him, right?

1 minute ago, JE7HorseGod said:

LOL as of anyone needed a reason to buy Chris Godwin...

I think you'd have to spend a first or second rounder to get him, right?

Draft capital well spent. I'm sure there will be some people that knock him down their boards due to losing Winston. 

1 hour ago, paulwall29 said:

Draft capital well spent. I'm sure there will be some people that knock him down their boards due to losing Winston. 

Very few if any, he’s a sure fire 2nd rounder. I’m definitely gunning for this young stud in most drafts. Brady throwing to the slot = game over. And Godwin is a bonafide elite wideout. Even a prime Edelman is not of the same caliber . It’s his 3rd year now, that experience and growth should make him even better this upcoming season. 

• Like 1

I don't believe it is a strong buy right now. Could be a lot of mouths to feed, so it is a situation being monitored. He plays heavily in the slot so that could be his in to out producing Mike Evans. In keeper and dynasty, well obviously he is being kept. 

• Thanks 1

Godwin will move ahead of Evans now for sure, but I see him having a slight regression from last years numbers.  Godwin has been a keeper for me for the last 2 years.  I think this year I may let him go for another stud WR on my roster.

Tough call , but Winston was gold for fantasy purposes, not Tom Brady.

I think he will be just fine in 2020 and will easily be top 8 with upside.

Pros

1. Brady loves the slot and he will probably be his first read, Brady is super accurate and godwin can take a slant to the house. 

2. They have so many weapons that he won't be doubled.

3. They play in division with 3 offensive powerhouse teams they are gonna be throwing ALOT. Plus they play green bay and KC as well. Very competitive schedule unlike last year for Brady. 

4. Bruce Arians system has a history of taking older qbs and turning them into passing studs putting up huge numbers (palmer/warner).

5. No running game. 

6. Brady has a chip on his shoulder and honestly I think he got a bad wrap last year. 

Cons

1. Hamstrings are injuries that have a high instance of recurrence. 

2. Lots of weapons and now OJ Howard may be used over the middle taking away from Godwin. 

3. Brady under pressure is his weakness, but this could lead to quick passes to godwin ala edelman.

I probably won't draft him since I plan to go qb heavy, depending on my picks. However, if I had a late pick like 10-12, I could see myself getting him/kelce and dealing with rbs later. 

Last time Brady’s top WR lined up on the outside was 2007, BA’s top receivers always line up in the slot. No one should draft Evans over Godwin this year. Now the only argument is if Godwin will match his output from last year which right now I’m going to say yes. If they draft/sign/trade for a really good pass catching back I don’t think he’ll match last years numbers though.

Huge fan, love me some Chris Godwin. Although, I can see passing on him & Evans to pluck Justin Watson late. Watch out for this player!    

49 minutes ago, markrc99 said:

Huge fan, love me some Chris Godwin. Although, I can see passing on him & Evans to pluck Justin Watson late. Watch out for this player!    

Too cute, it'll be the Evans or Godwin show, I'll take the cheaper of the two

^ Watson will be a nice target for Brady in 3 WR sets. 

• Like 2

Really a high risk -  high reward pick.

You never know who Brady is going to favor or how this really shakes out.  Think ill pass and let someone else take the ride.

giphy.gif

6 hours ago, Ddam2013 said:

Last time Brady’s top WR lined up on the outside was 2007, BA’s top receivers always line up in the slot. No one should draft Evans over Godwin this year. Now the only argument is if Godwin will match his output from last year which right now I’m going to say yes. If they draft/sign/trade for a really good pass catching back I don’t think he’ll match last years numbers though.

All good points ... but even if Jameis was under center , I would still draft Godwin over Evans. Love everything about his game , absolute monster. Think Julian Edelman on crack X10 , I’m buying wherever I can . He should be in for a huge year. Don’t really care for the Bucs, but Godwin is my 2nd favorite reciever in the league, behind only Michael Thomas 13 . 

• Like 1

Godwin is going lower than Evans and he is going to outperform Evans. 

Brady's deep ball isn't it anymore. Evans has made his career off being a deep threat. Brady is great exposing match ups in the slot and in the short-intermediate game. This is where Godwin is one of the best players in the NFL.

It's not complicated folks...

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, 1972Miamidolphins said:

"Too cute, it'll be the Evans or Godwin show, I'll take the cheaper of the two."

I'm serious, but those who may identify more are in leagues that start up early & are working their teams all summer. Likewise, those who are in keeper leagues where you get to list your player in the round you draft him in. I happen to commit more time figuring out what I'm going to do in the back than off the top. Watson is a player with a decent skill set, great hands & an excellent technician. High football IQ, knows how to get open, can play inside or out. Not unlike Cooper Kupp, only he's bigger & faster. Which could be big with Brady now on board. Just as mentioned, expect to see him when they're in multi-WR sets, which is nearly all the time. They're looking to move Howard, perhaps for an OL, something. Here's something else, Mike Evans is a freak, to me, a HOF type skill set. But, force fed with throws that often had no chance whatsoever... it's just a guess, but I think that's over with!     

Edited by markrc99

Feel like the Gronk trade hurts him a little.

8 minutes ago, Evincar said:

Feel like the Gronk trade hurts him a little.

I think more than a little.

Just now, JE7HorseGod said:

I think more than a little.

Yeah probably lol. Unfortunately his ADP wont change a bit.

Curious to hear why - I don’t see it having much of an effect on Godwin’s final line.

• Like 1

I really think Brate gets traded and they try to replicate Gronk Hernandez with Gronk OJ. 

On 4/21/2020 at 5:24 PM, BMcP said:

Curious to hear why - I don’t see it having much of an effect on Godwin’s final line.

JMO, but I think because he and Gronkowski operate in similar parts of the field, because Brady is going to have less time to prepare with a new cast of guys than your typical offeseason, and because Gronk and Brady have a rapport, I think it takes him down a bit.

He's still a great player, but I suspect his market value will be close to what he was last year in drafts, and for me at least these factors are going to have my shy away at that price.

3 minutes ago, affliction said:

I really think Brate gets traded and they try to replicate Gronk Hernandez with Gronk OJ. 

6-year-$40+M contract awarded in 2018 says otherwise.

3 minutes ago, JE7HorseGod said:

JMO, but I think because he and Gronkowski operate in similar parts of the field, because Brady is going to have less time to prepare with a new cast of guys than your typical offeseason, and because Gronk and Brady have a rapport, I think it takes him down a bit.

He's still a great player, but I suspect his market value will be close to what he was last year in drafts, and for me at least these factors are going to have my shy away at that price.

I think his targets actually go up with Brady - he was only targeted around 120 last year - while Edelman received around 150 two of the last three.

Just now, BMcP said:

I think his targets actually go up with Brady - he was only targeted around 120 last year - while Edelman received around 150 two of the last three.

I mean, Edelman was his boy, especially last year when it was him and flotsam.

They didn't have Evans, that's for sure.  And then if Gronk is rejuvenated, well, I see the target share going down.  But I could be wrong.

• Like 1