euphoriahbo

Josh Allen 2020 Outlook

I truly believe he is the most talented and uniquely gifted QB / Football Player in the entire history of the NFL. We've never seen a total package like this, ever; he's a unicorn. He can do everything on the football field.

Josh Allen is the LeBron James of the NFL. A physically dominant, unstoppable juggernaut.

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

Josh Allen?  You mean the mirage?

Throw out 2020.  Defenses don't have a chance.  The stadiums are too quiet, not enough offseason to gel as a unit, offense can hear their on-field adjustments.

Real QBs like Wilson, Rodgers and Mahomes are going to throw for 70 TDs.  Josh Allen has gotten rich off of three out of four putrid opponents.  His crash back to earth starts this week against Tennessee.

Love those earlier rotoworld blurbs full of snark:

The Athletic's Joe Buscaglia believes Bills coach Sean McDermott "could outlive" Josh Allen in Buffalo if the third-year pro "doesn’t show marked improvement in the next two seasons."

Buscaglia is just stating the obvious, but it is worth stating after McDermott received a four-year extension earlier this week. McDermott has made a recent habit of talking about how important the quarterback position is, a not-so-subtle hint that Allen needs to improve. Allen made modest progress last season but remained a sub-60 percent passer, failing to hit enough big plays to compensate for that lack of accuracy and efficiency. Allen's most recent start was an abject meltdown in the Bills' Wild Card loss. Allen is well above average as a rusher for a quarterback, but it is his arm that will make-or-break his critical 2020. Allen is a gamble at his QB6-7 ADP. It eventually catches up to quarterbacks who are better in fantasy than real life. 

Source: The Athletic
Aug 13, 2020, 10:22 PM ET

Bills WR Cole Beasley has observed Josh Allen is "starting to throw guys open a little bit" this summer. 

Stop the presses. “He’s playing more confident than ever," Beasley gushed. "He’s making throws that he wouldn’t have even tried to attempt last year." The Athletic's Joe Buscaglia has made the same observation, noting Allen might finally be progressing from a "see it and throw it" style of football. You, of course, don't need Rotoworld to tell you it's not exactly a great sign when a third-year first-rounder is just now beginning to add anticipation throws to his repertoire. Few players are more on the spot than Allen this season. Being drafted in the QB6-8 range in fantasy, Allen drafters are still counting on the "better in fantasy than real life" principle.

Aug 18, 2020, 5:32 PM ET

Bills QB Josh Allen struggled during Tuesday's practice, often staring down his receivers and having multiple passes broken up or intercepted. 

Allen wasn't "on the same page" with his wideouts, holding "onto the ball in the pocket, hoping for the expected routes to come open," according to The Athletic. Allen twice felt pressure and threw passes over the middle that were "nowhere close" to John Brown. It's a very different account than Cole Beasley saying this week that Allen was "throwing guys open." Allen's inaccuracy and erratic play don't really matter for fantasy purposes as long as he continues to flee to the pocket and pile up rushing yards and touchdowns. 

Aug 19, 2020, 11:30 AM ET

If you are an owner, we are all probably in a spot at the moment.  Cousins is probably available out there and plays on SNF.  This would give about as much time as possible for news on the Tuesday game to trickle in.

15 minutes ago, daethfromabove1979 said:

There’s no way the Tuesday night game can happen now right? I plan on picking up a QB that plays this afternoon.

I'm not banking on it.  In my leagues the QB pantry is pretty bare.  Herbert isn't available.  The only guy who was, who gave me decent flexibility was Cousins.  He has a good matchup vs Seattle, but I see the weather might be poor as well. Having half the points of Allen makes his availability high.  Herbert has more points than Cousins and didn't even play in week 1.

28 minutes ago, daethfromabove1979 said:

There’s no way the Tuesday night game can happen now right? I plan on picking up a QB that plays this afternoon.

It is not happening. Start looking for a backup option. If you weren't already looking for one after the positive tests a couple days back that is on you.

If you don't have a good backup that's playing today, I think Herbert is the pickup (assuming you can still make one).  This protects you all the way up until 8:15pm.  If no more Covid positives in Tenn, then you can roll the dice that there isn't a Covid positive on Tuesday morning and you can play Allen.

In terms of streamers, Bridgewater is head and shoulders the best one this week.  You guys saw the ATL secondary on Monday, right?  Multiple receivers running open because of blown coverages from their MASH unit secondary.  He should really have a field day.

• Like 1

What do we do in 2 QB leagues where literally all starting QBs are gone, plus some backups?  Take the L and love it?!?!  What a circus, Tennessee.   They better be heavily punished. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kp96 said:

If you don't have a good backup that's playing today, I think Herbert is the pickup (assuming you can still make one).  This protects you all the way up until 8:15pm.  If no more Covid positives in Tenn, then you can roll the dice that there isn't a Covid positive on Tuesday morning and you can play Allen.

In terms of streamers, Bridgewater is head and shoulders the best one this week.  You guys saw the ATL secondary on Monday, right?  Multiple receivers running open because of blown coverages from their MASH unit secondary.  He should really have a field day.

I came here to say this, and to clarify, you actually have until 8:15 PM on Monday with Herbert. Hopefully we find out before 1 PM, but Herbert is the play if it's still up in the air come kickoff.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tugginroot said:

What do we do in 2 QB leagues where literally all starting QBs are gone, plus some backups?  Take the L and love it?!?!  What a circus, Tennessee.   They better be heavily punished. 

I'm taking the L because im not putting Daniel Jones in there.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, pdog109 said:

I'm taking the L because im not putting Daniel Jones in there.

DJ may actually do decently well against the Cowboys

Cousins is also a good emergency stream option for Allen owners. Facing Seattle on SNF, and he’s still on waivers in some leagues.

I’m not sure I’d trust Herbert against the saints, but at least he gives you an extra day to get news on the Bills/Titans situation, although I wouldn’t count on that game happening

2 hours ago, BGDDYKWL said:

I would've been hesitant yesterday but I think you can be reasonably confident now. Always the chance a positive test pops up tomorrow, but it's unlikely. 

Also depends on your situation. Brees and Herbert are pretty solid options, so unless you need Allen's upside this week personally I'd play it safe. 

Don't use the word "unlikely" in 2020 buddy :) :P 

Couldn't watch the game tonight, what happened? Not an awful game of course, but his worst this year. Definitely a bizarre situation having to play Tuesday.

10 minutes ago, ninersdd said:

Couldn't watch the game tonight, what happened? Not an awful game of course, but his worst this year. Definitely a bizarre situation having to play Tuesday.

I thought he looked okay. This was probably his floor game. The Bills defense might be one of the worst in the league. They couldn’t stop anyone. They couldn’t get stops so Allen barely had the ball. He scored with about 9 minutes left in the fourth quarter and never got the ball back because the Bills couldn’t stop the run on obvious running situations. 

Overall his performance was okay. The first pick should have been caught, Roberts was wide open and it hit him in the hands and went for an interception. The second INT looked like miscommunication between him and his receiver. I honestly think he missed John Brown. Diggs, Beasley and the rookie are more intermediate guys, they didn’t have Brown to stretch the field. Allen threw a lot, but it was all a grind, small 5-10 yard throws. 

I was actually kind of impressed with his point total considering the amount of time he was on the field.  

12 hours ago, ninersdd said:

He had some great plays but was less consistent/ sloppier than he’s been this year   But his team also let him down. First drive he threw a ball slightly behind the wr, but it hit him square in both hands and the wr popped it up for a pick.  Same guy fumbled a kick return. Pass catchers had a number of drops (knox, even diggs). And the def was awful and titans controlled the clock. Allen didnt touch it the last 10 min of the 4th.

So it wasn't an exceptional showing by Allen, but a lot went wrong out of his control that likely wont happen very often. 

Interestingly enough, the Bills actually had MORE time of possession than the Titans - 32:24 to 27:36

32 minutes is about the average TOP for the Bills this season.

Perhaps just an off game by Allen.

Edited by Fort4242

3 minutes ago, PlayTheWaivers said:

Is he injured? I see some type of strap/sling on his shoulder 

I havnt heard anything about an injury. 

Back to back rough weeks for Allen. Jets on the menu next week, if he can't get it turned around I'll be shook.

Just now, trashlife said:

Back to back rough weeks for Allen. Jets on the menu next week, if he can't get it turned around I'll be shook.

Let's not forget it was pretty heavy downpours throughout the entire game. Not saying that's all the blame, but it had to have some sort of impact. 

3 minutes ago, oliminator123 said:

Let's not forget it was pretty heavy downpours throughout the entire game. Not saying that's all the blame, but it had to have some sort of impact. 

Why was Mahomes 80% completion and 9 YPA? Well "because he's Mahomes" is a good reason but Allen is supposed to sustain QB1 numbers and improvement but flopped against two contenders.