cashvillesent

Jordan vs LeBron - whos has the better defense?

In your opinion who would you choose to guard your best player? Is it Jordan or LeBron?

Having seen both play it is hard, I think Jordan had better permeter defense but I would choose LeBron anywhere in the paint.

Jordan, no contest at all.   He played 15 seasons and was NBA all defense 9 times, steals leader 3 times, Defensive POY 1 time

LBJ  (17 seasons and counting): NBA all defense 6 times. 

• Like 1

Neither. I'll deploy Kawhi Leonard. Especially on the perimeter.

But to give an input, Jordan. Even though I was too young to watch Bulls Jordan, I've seen more than enough LeBron. LeBron hasn't been his best defensively like around 7 years now. Not that he's a bad defender, it's to preserve mileage because of age. But having that, he was having a helluva season.

I am old enough to remember Jordan.  Kawhi is close when fully engaged but not on Jordan level (yet). 

I usually don’t participate in these threads. 

But I think you guys are misinterpreting OP. Thread is not asking who is the best defenders in the NBA history. Just discussions about Jordan vs. Lebron. Who is the better defender between the two. 

Of course if we are talking about 1-on-1 defending, Jordan was elite. On the other hand, perimeter wise LBJ covers so much court that if and when he is on a switch, he can covers the 1-5 position.

Gun to my head, imho I have to pick between Jordan or Lebron, it’d still be Jordan for me.

Now, on to another topic, a lot of talks have been about LBJ doesn’t play D or he is not a good defender. But if I were to pick one and only one player to defend the best offensive player in the game in the final play with the NBA finals on the line in today’s NBA, it’d be LBJ for me. The whole game is another question though, we all know LBJ takes many defensive plays off. Many. 

Before someone point to the KD shot over LBJ. I am aware of that, but let’s just say that nobody in that situation could have stopped KD from making that miraculous shot. 

Taking each player's prime years as a defender to compare, I'd take Jordan if the best player being guarded was under 6'8" and/or under 250 lbs.  Lebron would have a huge advantage guarding larger players.  Lebron can guard basically all 5 positions.  Jordan is better from 1-3, but would suffer against 4's and 5's (for more than a few possessions). 

Come on now, if you want to talk recent defense freaks (non 7 footers), it'd be Kawhi, Rodman, Ben Wallace.  Those guys have such a huge advantage defensively over NBA guys it shouldn't be possible (NBA guys already elite athletes). 

So is this thread turning into "who can guard 5 positions better"? 

Phil Jackson didnt have Michael Jordan defend a young almost at his prime Shaq yet Shaq always says Jordan was the best offensive and defensive player hes ever seen. I dont care if LeBron can defend any position, overall Jordan was just better defensively. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Gile Pile said:

So is this thread turning into "who can guard 5 positions better"? 

Since there is no way of knowing what position your teams' best player plays, that's inevitable.  If it's not positional and based on actual results, I'm going Jordan all the way.  I don't think he ever really took it easy even on defense. 

I feel like I’m the only person under 25 years old who appreciates the goat Michael Jordan. Everybody else my age claims to deem lebron as the goat even though Jordan’s resume and skill set are better. Only thing I’ll give lebron over Jordan is playmaking, rebounding , ability to guard 1-5 , and iq. Asides from the Jordan is better than lebron in every way possible.

jordan is the best defensive guard of all time.

Posted (edited)

Oops, didn't see this was just about defense.  Jordan could guard perimeter/guards better, Lebron has more versatility. I dont know. I guess Jordan. Complicated question really, in a vacum, if you just need someone to shut down a guard, sure Jordan.

Edited by brockpapersizer

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, ginocan said:

Before someone point to the KD shot over LBJ. I am aware of that, but let’s just say that nobody in that situation could have stopped KD from making that miraculous shot. 

No one on this planet can really guard Kevin Durant. Just hope for help defense; containment. Hope he misses the shot.

Well, Beverley thought he was doing something, but yeah... Not a soul.

Edited by Trench Mob

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Simsanityy179 said:

I feel like I’m the only person under 25 years old who appreciates the goat Michael Jordan. Everybody else my age claims to deem lebron as the goat even though Jordan’s resume and skill set are better. Only thing I’ll give lebron over Jordan is playmaking, rebounding , ability to guard 1-5 , and iq. Asides from the Jordan is better than lebron in every way possible.

The thing that always irk me is LeBron over-exaggerated / flopping on occasions. Trying to manipulate the ref. He doesn't need to do that. But I still consider him the GOAT since I grew up watching him. 

LeBron is freaking 35 years old and still the best power player in the league ( sorry Giannis and Westbrook ).

Edited by Trench Mob

Posted (edited)
On 3/24/2020 at 11:09 AM, Simsanityy179 said:

Wouldnt that make LeBron better though? I mean thats alot of skill you just listed that he was better at as Jordan?

LeBrons a better perimeter shooter. LeBrons a better interior post player on both ends. LeBrons better at running the fast break because hes a superior passer, ballhandler and has a higher IQ. LeBrons better off the ball (setting screens, coming off of screens, catch and shoot, finding holes in the defense, coaching teammates up getting them into the right positions) just to name a few. As Jamal mentioned, man and the game gave evolved. LeBron is a benefactor in evolution. Just has a wider skill range.

Edited by cashvillesent

Yes, game has evolved.  But winning the championship was, and still is, very difficult.  

Eight finals for LeBron, 3 titles,     37.5% winning percentage.

Six finals for Jordan, 6 titles. 100% winning percentage.

Jordan is GOAT,  case closed

2 hours ago, cashvillesent said:

Wouldnt that make LeBron better though? I mean thats alot of skill you just listed that he was better at as Jordan?

LeBrons a better perimeter shooter. LeBrons a better interior post player on both ends. LeBrons better at running the fast break because hes a superior passer, ballhandler and has a higher IQ. LeBrons better off the ball (setting screens, coming off of screens, catch and shoot, finding holes in the defense, coaching teammates up getting them into the right positions) just to name a few. As Jamal mentioned, man and the game gave evolved. LeBron is a benefactor in evolution. Just has a wider skill range.

Thats not fair to say as if Michael Jordan playing in this era would never try to develop a consistent 3 point shot and just rely on slashing and dunking. Its debatable that LeBron has a better perimeter shot than jordan as well. Also no one seemed to be able to stop jordan inside scoring because he either makes it or gets hacked and he will receive the james harden treatment. Passer and ballhandling is lebron but I debate higher IQ as well considering Jordan might have been an alpha scorer, but he had a tremendous IQ as well and even  averaged over 5 assists his entire career 2 less than lebron career avg. Catch and shoot and finding holes in defense again you cant just give that straight to lebron as jordan was excellent in that as well. I still dont see this wider skill range you speak of. Only thing lebron is better at is ability to guard all 5 positions and passing and i guess post up but even lebrons post up move aint that special. He just bullies and man handles his way its not like he does sweet fake out over under spin move post up position plays.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Gile Pile said:

Yes, game has evolved.  But winning the championship was, and still is, very difficult.  

And as always mentioned on espn, only thing lebron has over jordan in nba finals accomplishments besides individual things like points assists etc. Is that he came down 1-3 to beat a 73 win team. Jordan never had an opportunity to see if he could do that because he never allowed his team to be down 1-3.

• Like 1

On 3/23/2020 at 4:24 PM, ginocan said:

Of course if we are talking about 1-on-1 defending, Jordan was elite. On the other hand, perimeter wise LBJ covers so much court that if and when he is on a switch, he can covers the 1-5 position.

Gun to my head, imho I have to pick between Jordan or Lebron, it’d still be Jordan for me.

Now, on to another topic, a lot of talks have been about LBJ doesn’t play D or he is not a good defender. But if I were to pick one and only one player to defend the best offensive player in the game in the final play with the NBA finals on the line in today’s NBA, it’d be LBJ for me. The whole game is another question though, we all know LBJ takes many defensive plays off. Many. 

What do you mean, "perimeter-wise". Off-ball? Jordan was one of the best players in history at jumping passing lanes, that's why he's #3 all-time in steals. LeBron is elite at it too, but Jordan has him on and off.

As for the latter part of your post, whether or not LeBron takes plays off is irrelevant. It's deliberate in order to save himself to carry his teams up and down the court in the playoffs every year. And with a postseason off and a supporting cast that isn't one of the worst in the NBA, he would've been one of the best defenders in the league again April-June. The Laker hate in this thread is comical, yet again. Kawhi gets invoked, yet he didn't play any defense last postseason either. Why? He knew he'd be too busy carrying his team's offense all postseason long, just like LeBron did all decade. But when he needed to lock in for the Bucks series, he did, because it was what his team needed in order for him to win the series. When Finals MVPs take plays off, it's because they have a better idea how to maximize their effort than a bunch of guys hovering over their keyboards.

He's still not as good of a defender as Jordan was, though.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, miasma16 said:

Kawhi gets invoked, yet he didn't play any defense last postseason either.

😁  sounds like someone either  hates Raptors or did not watch and Raptors games in post season last year. I suggest you watch Bucks series 

#wethechamps 

50 minutes ago, Gile Pile said:

😁  sounds like someone either  hates Raptors or did not watch and Raptors games in post season last year. I suggest you watch Bucks series 

#wethechamps 

Note to self: Do not respond before you finish your morning coffee. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Gile Pile said:

Championships are a team achievement. Next thing you know, Robert Horry would be anointed as the GOAT.

* Don't give ESPN any filler ideas *.

• Like 1