Sign in to follow this  
My Dinner With Andre

Favorite Bench-Clearing Brawls - All-Time

The George Bell, Aaron Sele, Mo Vaughn (and in that order) brawl.

I was at this ballgame. September of 1993. 13 yrs old. 13th row, 3rd base side above the ChiSox dugout, behind the on-deck circe. My first ever in-attendance brawl. 

This one's overlooked and underrated. Not so much the brawl itself, but the set-up, subsequent mound charge and impact/collision at height of said mound charge, that lends itself towards general brawl solidness.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, WahooManiac said:

Interesting.  My first reaction to this video is def not a call for robot umps. 

It did remind me how much i didn't like D Young though.  

catcher setup outside and still had to reach to his right to catch it.

Juuuuuuust a bit outside, tried the corner and missed. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Members_Only_76 said:

catcher setup outside and still had to reach to his right to catch it.

Juuuuuuust a bit outside, tried the corner and missed. 

I get it.  It's probably a ball.  But it's not close to the worst call ive seen,  hardly a great example for robot umps.  

It is a great example of what happens to jackass ball players when they throw a bat at an ump.  If i recall he caught a nice long suspension for this one.  Not to mention he was never that good anyway.  

The one of George Bell and Sele above took me back to when I was a kid.  This was before all televised games, so there is not a vid I could find of the full-on brawl, but the below has the clip (twice) of Bell with a whicked kick and punch after being hit by Bruce Kison in 1985.  Man, those mid-80's Jays teams were pretty exciting.  The clip is a more recent interview and provides his perspective as to why he did what he did.