Sign in to follow this  
BrianM

Teddy Bridgewater 2020 Outlook

I promised myself once the Panthers hired Joe Brady that i'd get me some shares of their passing offense.   I'm no huge Teddy fan, but I am enthralled with the weapons he now has, and I think, outside of Robby Anderson, his main targets all have great YACability which fit well with his typical style

I do a 2 QB league, and he seems like an ideal choice there as a wait for it QB2 or QB3.  Plus, the defense is a bit in flux with a division full of shootout potential.    

On 3/24/2020 at 10:45 PM, BrianM said:

I promised myself once the Panthers hired Joe Brady that i'd get me some shares of their passing offense.   I'm no huge Teddy fan, but I am enthralled with the weapons he now has, and I think, outside of Robby Anderson, his main targets all have great YACability which fit well with his typical style

I do a 2 QB league, and he seems like an ideal choice there as a wait for it QB2 or QB3.  Plus, the defense is a bit in flux with a division full of shootout potential.    

while i don't like the way he pushes his luck in stressing that surgically repaired left knee, i love bridgewater as my QB2 in superflex. 

FewHorribleAfricanwildcat-size_restricte 

On 3/24/2020 at 11:24 PM, hockeyfan77 said:

I can see him as a QB2 but not a QB1 as he does have pretty good weapons

even if bridgewater was only throwing to christian mccaffery he'd be streamable in the right matchup. throw in moore, anderson, samuel, and ian thomas and i'm sold.like @nmartinez12443 points out, bridgewater has 6 streamable matchups and the schedule hasn't even been released yet.

Posted (edited)
On 4/1/2020 at 4:46 PM, Sack Exchange said:

"Even if bridgewater was only throwing to christian mccaffery he'd be streamable in the right matchup. throw in moore, anderson, samuel, and ian thomas and i'm sold. Like @nmartinez12443 points out, bridgewater has 6 streamable matchups and the schedule hasn't even been released yet."

Working with Brady in New Orleans, Teddy already knows the philosophy & playbook. It's a situation where the new guy isn't the one that needs to learn the system & get up to speed. It could all come together faster than what we might anticipate. Moore, Samuel & CMC, not to suggest they're the same, but they don't have that legit z-slot primary, a DB magnet, a guy that creates a coverage vacuum behind him. LSU's Justin Jefferson might not excel in that role exclusively, but would seemingly be a natural fit. Michael Pittman is another one, not to suggest that either is who they take with the 7th overall pick. If they go defense, I suppose, but to me, if they focus on & impress at OL & WR, this thing is on! :)       

Edited by markrc99
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, markrc99 said:

Working with Brady in New Orleans, Teddy already knows the philosophy & playbook. It's a situation where the new guy isn't the one that needs to learn the system & get up to speed. It could all come together faster than what we might anticipate. Moore, Samuel & CMC, not to suggest they're the same, but they don't have that legit z-slot primary, a DB magnet, a guy that creates a coverage vacuum behind him. LSU's Justin Jefferson might not excel in that role exclusively, but would seemingly be a natural fit. Michael Pittman is another one, not to suggest that either is who they take with the 7th overall pick. If they go defense, I suppose, but to me, if they focus on & impress at OL & WR, this thing is on! :)       

i'm thinking robby anderson will be that DB magnet (if moore isn't already). no way panthers go offense in round 1. for me, i think they're fine at WR. i see the biggest need at LB, but i'm thinking isaiah simmons (clemson) will be gone by 1.07. that's the guy the panthers need to fill a giant-sized void with kuechly's retirement. a wrecking ball. smarter than brian burns, can cover, and faster. tahir whitehead is a placeholder (recently signed a one-year contract), but cannot replace kuechly. up front, stephen weatherly was a brilliant signing. vikings were foolish to let him go. whenever he stepped in for everson griffin the kid did very well. wouldn't be surprised to see WR chosen late, like round 4+.

giphy.gif

Isaiah-Simmons-Gif-2.gif

• Like 2

A LB...??? I'm sure but offense is defense in the NFL. Their business model is; as few 3 & outs as possible. The tackling can't get any $h!++er than it is. Every time the defense catches up, they change things, the rules...whatever.  

Anytime someone has a ton of weapons on offense and a questionable defense, I'm interested.

• Haha 1

guy is a dink and dunker at best, has been his whole career despite the hype. won't be anything more than a bye week filler.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, lolcopter said:

guy is a dink and dunker at best, has been his whole career despite the hype. won't be anything more than a bye week filler.

Pretty much agree, was pretty much a game manager when brees was out. However, hes got guys who can take a 8 yard screen or slant 80 yards. You could do worse with the last pick of your draft and see what pans out. Probably has the best weapons in the nfl right now besides Cheifs, Saints, and Tampa Bay. Plays in a division where they will be down and forced to throw could be Winston light of 2020.

Edited by nmartinez12443
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Sack Exchange said:

"... I see the biggest need at LB, but I'm thinking Isaiah Simmons (Clemson) will be gone by 1.07."

I'm not high on those two plays but a classic nickel 'backer, really love your player! 

14 hours ago, markrc99 said:

But how much did he really work with Brady in NOLA? Not much. Brady was just an analyst for the Saints, and it’s doubtful that he and Bridge actually communicated all that much in the one year they were in NOLA together. So I wouldn’t put much stock in their interaction there. And I do believe there will be learning and getting up to speed. Brady wants to carve his own path, and I don’t believe he’s going to run an identical system to Payton’s. 

• Like 1

On 4/1/2020 at 12:11 PM, nmartinez12443 said:

Saints, TB, and Falcons twice. Could be a real nice 0 qb option or at least a streamer. 

Things change too much from one season to the next to assume that these three defenses are going to be good for QB streamers. 

• Like 2

Oddly enough I feel like the panthers offense in general is undervalued this year in drafts. Their defense is going to be horrible most likely. They are going to be playing catch up a lot and have a lot of solid pieces on offense. I could see them being the Jaguars a few years ago with Blake Bortles (garbage time champions) with a better offense as a whole. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Flyman75 said:

Things change too much from one season to the next to assume that these three defenses are going to be good for QB streamers. 

great point. though you can always stream QBs against my jets.

my rundown of the AFC south’s defenses with change in mind:

the buccaneers defense looked as though they leveled-up mid-season, despite winston’s attempts to keep his defense on the field. credit todd bowles. shaq barrett also played like a man possessed. i do not see them as pushovers in 2020, and no way will the bucs’ offense be the defense’s worst enemy like in 2019. 

the falcons leveled-up, but it was only after terrible defensive play for the first twelve weeks, the D losing the majority of their games. their final five weeks looked like a new defense.

the saints have been hot and cold since dennis allen arrived three years as coordinator. maybe hot up front and colder in the DBs? they do seem to get better by mid-season but better v run.

and just talking change, the panthers defense should improve with weatherly up front and the growth of brian burns. there were times where the panthers D looked like the cardinals out there. but for opposing QBs, the panthers’ DBs were ranked 14th in 2019 and they let weakest link eric reid go. that said, replacing kuechly with  isaiah simmons is a must.

barrett5.gif 

12 hours ago, Flyman75 said:

I assumed that Saints and TB were included because of the strength of the offenses, not the weakness of the defenses.

12 hours ago, Flyman75 said:

I dont care about the defense as mch the fact that TB, NO, and Falcons have all the same offensive peices or improved so Teddy is gonna be throwing 40-50 times per game.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
On 4/5/2020 at 11:32 PM, Flyman75 said:

"But how much did he really work with Brady in NOLA? Not much. Brady was just an analyst for the Saints, and it’s doubtful that he and Bridge actually communicated all that much in the one year they were in NOLA together. So I wouldn’t put much stock in their interaction there. And I do believe there will be learning and getting up to speed. Brady wants to carve his own path, and I don’t believe he’s going to run an identical system to Payton’s." 

My understanding is that Brady was influential in running the RPO. He took that concept with him to LSU & that offense went off! It's not about the QB being a dual-threat, it's reading, accuracy & a quick release. Bridgewater is a perfect fit.... I think. :) I think others here, they go to his profile & all that heady stuff, it blows over their heads. You don't read stuff like that everyday. They read he ran a short-zone attack & summarily, that's what he's best suited for. That's simply what would be safe. Limited some, doesn't feature that over the top, high point release, but very quick to read & quick to get it out. If they go OL & WR, look out! That antiquated Air Coryell Norv Turner ran is gone! I agree there'll be a curve but Bridgewater is going to be out in front of it! Watch out for this player! 

Edited by markrc99

If Brady’s smart (and he is), he’ll call for more play-action with Bridgewater - who was literally the most effective QB in the league last season off PA (0.47 EPA/attempt).  He’s plenty accurate throwing deep, it’s just that he’s never been asked to do it very often.

• Like 1

On 4/6/2020 at 9:46 AM, Sack Exchange said:

"... That said, replacing Kuechly with Isaiah Simmons is a must."

Reading Simmons profile at draft tracker, one can get a sense that he hasn't really mastered his listed position. When I read about a player's weaknesses, I like seeing fill, not what could be serious concerns or red flags. In high school he played in the back & at WR. He goes to Clemson and redshirted his 1st year, did track & field. In 2017 his career begins playing in the back. It's only been these past few seasons he's played at LB. From a traditional standpoint, he doesn't read like a stack & shed run defender. He doesn't look like that player either. Kyle Kuechly was known for diagnosing the play on the pre snap, Isaiah Simmons is not that player. 

It's just me but prepping him to man the middle wouldn't make a lot of sense. This guy is in his element reading the QB, tracking & attacking the football, classic 'nickel backer. I think the team that drafts Simmons mans him over the TE, perhaps even the z-slot primary in certain situations. I don't think you ask him to mirror shifty, change of direction slot rec'rs. And when you need help getting to the QB, the offense better know where this player is. 

That said, this team needs a lot of help up front on both sides of the ball. Subjecting Bridgewater to a league-high 58 sacks is going to have disastrous results. If they draft your player and the offense is a mess, that right there will undermine Simmons' value. Who's the most important player on the field? Oh, you never know, the guys they.. NO! That's guessing, they need to come out of this draft KNOWING, if nothing else, they're going to protect their QB!! With this new offense comes a greater emphasis on multi-WRs sets, so WR the exception.          

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, BMcP said:

If Brady’s smart (and he is), he’ll call for more play-action with Bridgewater - who was literally the most effective QB in the league last season off PA (0.47 EPA/attempt).  He’s plenty accurate throwing deep, it’s just that he’s never been asked to do it very often.

And why do u think he wasn’t asked to do it?

He’s got a nerf gun for an arm and played with one of the most feared rushing units in the league.   Bridgewater over the middle and dumps to CMAC wont get it done in Car.   This was one of my least favorite FA moves this offseason so far.  TBridge is more suited to a backup role...or as a game manager.  The panthers need more 

Edited by Impreza178

6 minutes ago, Impreza178 said:

And why do u think he wasn’t asked to do it?

He’s got a nerf gun for an arm and played with one of the most feared rushing units in the league.   Bridgewater over the middle and dumps to CMAC wont get it done in Car.   This was one of my least favorite FA moves this offseason so far.  TBridge is more suited to a backup role...or as a game manager.  The panthers need more 

Simple answer?  Scheme.  He played for the Saints last year - who routinely rely on short, quick-hitters and hardly ever incorporate PA.  Before that, with the Vikings, he averaged slightly more depth per pass attempt, but again, he was really just tasked with keeping the offense on schedule and avoiding negative plays.

He ranked 11th in the league in accuracy on downfield passes last year.  He’s certainly capable of airing it out - it just depends on whether Brady will allow him to do so more often.  I imagine he will.

1 minute ago, BMcP said:

Simple answer?  Scheme.  He played for the Saints last year - who routinely rely on short, quick-hitters and hardly ever incorporate PA.  Before that, with the Vikings, he averaged slightly more depth per pass attempt, but again, he was really just tasked with keeping the offense on schedule and avoiding negative plays.

He ranked 11th in the league in accuracy on downfield passes last year.  He’s certainly capable of airing it out - it just depends on whether Brady will allow him to do so more often.  I imagine he will.

So that’s 2 quality NFL coaching staffs who understand Bridgewaters limited downfield ability.  

I’m afraid we’ve seen his ceiling in N Orleans.   Brady would be wise to take note 

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Impreza178 said:

So that’s 2 quality NFL coaching staffs who understand Bridgewaters limited downfield ability.  

I’m afraid we’ve seen his ceiling in N Orleans.   Brady would be wise to take note 

By that logic, does the quality coaching staff of the Saints correctly understand the limited ability of future HOFer Drew Brees to throw the ball downfield?

His starts thus far have come on one team with an AP-led, run-first-and-foremost offense with the Vikings and on another team with a scheme designed around short, high-percentage precision passing with the Saints.  How can we pass judgment on how Bridgewater would fare in a new scheme with an abundance of offensive weaponry and a creative, highly regarded coordinator calling the shots?

Edited by BMcP

3 minutes ago, BMcP said:

By that logic, does the quality coaching staff of the Saints correctly understand the limited ability of future HOFer Drew Brees to throw the ball downfield?

His starts thus far have come on one team with an AP-led, run-first-and-foremost offense with the Vikings and on another team with a scheme designed around short, high-percentage precision passing with the Saints.  How can we pass judgment on how Bridgewater would fare in a new scheme with an abundance of offensive weaponry and a creative, highly regarded coordinator calling the shots?

Because I’ve seen him throw downfield lol.   He’s slow to read, slow to work through progressions, and doesn’t have the arm strength to make up for it.  With the Saints offensive line and 2 dominant weapons over the middle— it’s not an issue...for a short stint at least.   Put TB behind a mediocre to poor O-line like in Minny...you get 83 sacks in 28 games.    

Drew Brees more than makes up questionable arm strength with anticipation and mastery of his offense.  He has a lightning fast mental processor that Teddy simply doesn’t.   That’s ingrained as part of a persons liquid intelligence.    Comparing Brees and Teddy is laughable.