Sign in to follow this  
BrianM

2020 TE Strategy

I visited a 2019 version of this thread often and loved it.   Shout outs to those that pushed Mark Andrews and Darren Waller as breakouts in it- that's the kind of stuff i'm looking to repeat here.

Cool topics

• Any aged veterans worth a look?  Last year nobody really worked out from the Delanie, Graham, Jordan Reed group (maybe Witten)- will that repeat this year?
  • Young breakout options- Jonnu Smith?  Dawson Knox?  Hayden Hurst?
  • 2019 rookie class- Anything to Hockenson, Noah Fant, Irv Smith, or Jace Sternberger now that they're a year in?

35 minutes ago, BrianM said:

I visited a 2019 version of this thread often and loved it.   Shout outs to those that pushed Mark Andrews and Darren Waller as breakouts in it- that's the kind of stuff i'm looking to repeat here.

Cool topics

• Any aged veterans worth a look?  Last year nobody really worked out from the Delanie, Graham, Jordan Reed group (maybe Witten)- will that repeat this year?
  • 2019 rookie class- Anything to Hockenson, Noah Fant, Irv Smith, or Jace Sternberger now that they're a year in?

Really like the guys I bolded above to breakout this year

33 minutes ago, BrianM said:

Cool topics

I'll be heavily targeting Fant, 50-60 receptions with 700-800 yards and 6-7 TD's is not out of the question. 

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, BrianM said:

Dont forget Gesicki and Ian Thomas. Lots of options for those who want to wait on TE.

Edited by Evincar

I said last year that I believed the TE was going to deepen in the next couple of years, and it sure looks like it is. Young guys growing up and making an impact. Hurst should be big in Atlanta...Fant, Hockenson, Thomas, Jonnu. I’m curious about Irv Smith in Minny. 

Love Noah Fant. Whose the #2 wr or passing option on denver? Exactly he flashed big time last year, will be targeting him in all drafts if I cant get Kelce.

12 hours ago, BrianM said:

"I visited a 2019 version of this thread often and loved it. Shout outs to those that pushed Mark Andrews and Darren Waller as breakouts in it- that's the kind of stuff I'm looking to repeat here.

Cool topics

• 2019 rookie class- Anything to Hockenson, Noah Fant, Irv Smith, or Jace Sternberger now that they're a year in?"

Gotta like a lot of the names already mentioned. Kaden Smith is my don't-draft-but-monitor-break-late prospect. :) Athletically, typical zero-twitch, long-striding goober. But a high football IQ, works to make himself available when the initial play breaks down, excellent hands & catch radius!    

Posted (edited)

For the first time in quite awhile , we are all going to have a slew of high  performing TE's to pick from in  2020 Fantasy.   The last few years it has been the big 3 or you get little to nothing from the position.

Ertz , KIttle and Kelce.

But, Lets add Waller, Andrews, Fant,to solid starter level.

Some great starts that will get you points as well,    Gesicki ( who may break out) Olson or Dissly ( SEA TE  and we know how great they are when healthy) Dawson Knox, Hooper, Hockenson and Hurst.

My sleeper and ace in the whole coming draft is Dallas Goedert.

This year we all have choices, we will not have to waste a high draft choice to get production ( finally). 

Edited by Sivaro

Doesn't Fant have rubber ducks for hands? I guess Hurst would be my late round pick.

46 minutes ago, sSektor said:

Doesn't Fant have rubber ducks for hands? I guess Hurst would be my late round pick.

Huh?  Not at all - if anything the knock on him was that he was too much “receiver” at the TE position.

Im sick of trying to pick a TE myself. Heres my strategy this year

spacer.png

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, nmartinez12443 said:

Whose the #2 wr or passing option on Denver?

More than likely a WR that they take at 15 (Ruggs?).

3 hours ago, BMcP said:

Huh?  Not at all - if anything the knock on him was that he was too much “receiver” at the TE position.

14% drop rate in college and that was definitely one of the knocks against him from what I remember. 5 drops on 66 targets this past year which led the team. I get he's a super athletic TE but he seems a little too raw to gamble on with a 2nd year QB throwing passes. Not to mention them looking to be a run heavy team.

45 minutes ago, sSektor said:

14% drop rate in college and that was definitely one of the knocks against him from what I remember. 5 drops on 66 targets this past year which led the team. I get he's a super athletic TE but he seems a little too raw to gamble on with a 2nd year QB throwing passes. Not to mention them looking to be a run heavy team.

Probably from some analytics quarters - here’s a different take indicating drops isn’t as much of an issue as PFF suggests:

https://predominantlyorange.com/2019/05/02/denver-broncos-good-noah-fant-catch/amp/2/

I think everyone and there mom are going to the same thing this year. You will have someone draft Kelce top 12 (I would take him at 10-12 in full ppr possibly) , Kittle probably top 25. Andrews/Ertz probably around 30 IF they don't make any major WR draft moves and see how Alshon is doing, even then I think thats way to high. This leaves 8 people trying to hit the mark andrews (love him) lottery like in 2019.

Then I see really no difference between (as ranked by fantasy pros). I personally hate all them.

Waller- Renthrow hurt him, Aglohor signed, most people see the raiders picking a top WR in the draft at 19 they have 2 first round picks. 

Hunter Henry- Many mouths to feed and a new qb, injury prone (albeit unlucky)

Engram- See Hunter Henry

Hooper- See Hunter Henry MCL injuries all the time and throw in a brand new team.

Jared Cook- Emmanuel Sanders and will we see more Taysum Hill. Dude is super talented, but volume won't be there.

Higbee- Too many mouths to feed again. Could be good value though.

Goedart- Talented but Ertz, Alshon, Sanders/Scott, then Goedart in the pecking order IMO.

Then you have your choice of

Ebron (TD dependent)

Howard (love him, but Arians doesn't use TEs, but he will likely be overdrafted in hopes of a gronk like year, Evans/Godwin/will be the primary read, but at a discount I could see him having value.)

Doyle- I like him a lot, rivers likes TEs and he is the only show in town. #2 WR very questionable. 

Geiski- I like him a lot, got a good amount of catches and Mia will probably be terrible again.

Fant- Love him if denver doesnt do anything major at WR in the draft or FA. 

Hockenson- I think he just won't get enough volume as the 4th option. 

Jonnuu- Not enough passing volume in TENN, they were literally last in passes per game and that got them to the AFC title game, pass.

I will just probably draft 3 TE after I get the core of my team round 10 or so and hope one sticks. Probably Fant, Doyle, and Geiski in that order. 

I "streamed" the TEs last year and it was a disaster. F this. I'm going for Kelce and Kittle. 

14 hours ago, bomont said:

I "streamed" the TEs last year and it was a disaster. F this. I'm going for Kelce and Kittle. 

I think you’ll be able to get you a very solid TE this year in the mid rounds. This will be the year TEs catapult forward...it’s been building toward this. 

Kelce, Kittle, Etz, Andrews, Waller, Hooper, Henry, Fant, Hurst, Hockenson, Cook, Emgram, Jonnu, Knox, Gesicki, McDonald. Some interesting cases like Irv Smith and OJ. I think TE is going to be pretty deep this season for the first time in a long time. I have Andrews in my keeper league as a 9th rd keeper, but if I needed a TE, I’d be waiting. 

3 hours ago, Flyman75 said:

I think you’ll be able to get you a very solid TE this year in the mid rounds. This will be the year TEs catapult forward...it’s been building toward this. 

Kelce (YUP could be a top 10 dude),

Kittle (could be hurt if they pick a WR early, but still really safe),

Ertz (benefitted from all there wr getting hurt, goedart won't go away)

Andrews (stud)

Waller (I could see him busting with renthrow/jeudy/healthy tyrell/ ceedee lamb)

Hooper (new team, lots of mouths, injury prone)

Henry (see hooper sans new team)

Fant (didn't get targeted enough, but if Denver doesn't do anything in the draft I love him)

Hurst (I like him a lot might get hyped a lot

Hockenson (will be a bust)

Emgram (see hooper),

Jonnu (tenn doesn't throw enough)

, Knox (too many mouths to feed and they don't throw enough

, Gesicki (love him)

, McDonald. Some interesting cases like Irv Smith and OJ. I think TE is going to be pretty deep this season for the first time in a long time. I have Andrews in my keeper league as a 9th rd keeper, but if I needed a TE, I’d be waiting. 

The world is Sleeping in Eifert

29 minutes ago, SyNdicateZ said:

The world is Sleeping in Eifert

That guys body has to be a complete wreck at this point.

2 minutes ago, Evincar said:

That guys body has to be a complete wreck at this point.

Bodies heal. Plus he is one of the most highest paid TE’s. So JAX must think he’s back too 100% . this guy is a beast when healthy....

36 minutes ago, SyNdicateZ said:

Bodies heal. Plus he is one of the most highest paid TE’s. So JAX must think he’s back too 100% . this guy is a beast when healthy....

Bodies never fully heal. Injuries can sap a player's agility, lateral movement, affect range of motion etc. Plus there's no idea how an athlete is affected mentally.

Eifert when healthy was never a big catch or yardage guy. The Jags have already struck out twice on similar, injury prone TEs like Julius Thomas and ASJ, I wouldnt waste a pick on Eifert outside of best ball or really deep leagues.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, SyNdicateZ said:

Id be surprised if he played more than 5 games

44 minutes ago, bhawks489 said:

Id be surprised if he played more than 5 games

I'll take the under