Sign in to follow this  
Magnus88

Slow Draft Third Round Important Question

My first two selections were Bregman and Rendon.  On the board for my third round pick are:  Alonso, Corbin, Castillo, Alvarez, Clevinger, Snell, Ketel Marte.

My natural inclination is to avoid pitching with a third round pick.  With Snell, Clevinger, Castillo and Corbin on the board should I change my mind?

Who should I go with?  PS:  stats for the league are runs, rbis, OBP, stolen bases, Homers.  And era, whip, k's, saves and wins.

Alvarez is who I'm leaning towards, since he has the most offensive upside and has outfield eligbility in my league.  anyone nervous about the bad knee?

Your first two picks are nice in OBP league, so Alvarez will give you the 3 headed monster and allow you to pursue some lower power, SB guys in the next few rounds. Nothing wrong with the next tier of starters, even if you miss those guys mentioned, you'll still be able to get a guy like Darvish, Greinke, Nola, Giolito, maybe 2 of those guys even?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Richard Kimble said:

Your first two picks are nice in OBP league, so Alvarez will give you the 3 headed monster and allow you to pursue some lower power, SB guys in the next few rounds. Nothing wrong with the next tier of starters, even if you miss those guys mentioned, you'll still be able to get a guy like Darvish, Greinke, Nola, Giolito, maybe 2 of those guys even?

That's what I was thinking.  I would be a stud with four of the five offensive categories.  Am I correct in valuing Yordan more than Alonso or Marte?  I'm just a bit nervous that the knee injury could turn into a potential IL trip for Alvarez.

And the sign stealing shouldn't be an issue I'm assuming since Yordan's road numbers are still excellent.

Edited by Magnus88

Went with Yordan.  Fairly confident i'm not making a mistake banking so much on two Astros.

Nah, next year we're gonna be debating Alvarez as a top 5 pick. I think the other two guys will perform a little below their draft price but not less than a round, which is why they are a good core to have. 

Marte had a great year last year, but was not a power hitter before, so he needs to do it again to be worth his current price tag. Alonso does have great power and 1B is weaker than ever, but you'll get the chance to grab a 1B with 30 HR power at some point in every draft. Encarnacion in the 15th or Christian Walker in the 18th are pretty valuable to me. 

2 hours ago, Richard Kimble said:

Nah, next year we're gonna be debating Alvarez as a top 5 pick. I think the other two guys will perform a little below their draft price but not less than a round, which is why they are a good core to have. 

Marte had a great year last year, but was not a power hitter before, so he needs to do it again to be worth his current price tag. Alonso does have great power and 1B is weaker than ever, but you'll get the chance to grab a 1B with 30 HR power at some point in every draft. Encarnacion in the 15th or Christian Walker in the 18th are pretty valuable to me. 

Had my first really tough choice in the fourth round.  Debated between Meadows and Springer.  Took Springer but tried my best to trade back a few slots so I could get Meadows and move up in a few rounds.

Bregman, Rendon, Yordan and Springer.  Pretty damn confident with four of the five offensive categories.  Hopefully Houston plays with a chip on their shoulder to prove the haters wrong.

8 hours ago, Richard Kimble said:

Alvarez is overrated. .366 BABIP last year, no speed, everyone has power these days, now injured...there’s zero chance he’s in top  5 when there’s Acuna, Trout, Yelich, Betts, Lindor, Tatis, Story...

9 hours ago, Magnus88 said:

My first two selections were Bregman and Rendon.  On the board for my third round pick are:  Alonso, Corbin, Castillo, Alvarez, Clevinger, Snell, Ketel Marte.

My natural inclination is to avoid pitching with a third round pick.  With Snell, Clevinger, Castillo and Corbin on the board should I change my mind?

Who should I go with?  PS:  stats for the league are runs, rbis, OBP, stolen bases, Homers.  And era, whip, k's, saves and wins.

Alvarez is who I'm leaning towards, since he has the most offensive upside and has outfield eligbility in my league.  anyone nervous about the bad knee?

Castillo is the best pick in my opinion but it’s a toss-up.

Look, the knee thing could hamper him a bit. But this kid is potentially Pujols or Cabrera in their prime. It isn't fair to ever compare a hitter to greats like that, but the reason you do it is to evoke their names and look at his raw talent. Who knows what happens in his career, but he's a rare hitter. If he hits .315 with 45+ HRs you're gonna have a hard time taking anyone of those guys after the top 3 above him. 

2 hours ago, Richard Kimble said:

Look, the knee thing could hamper him a bit. But this kid is potentially Pujols or Cabrera in their prime. It isn't fair to ever compare a hitter to greats like that, but the reason you do it is to evoke their names and look at his raw talent. Who knows what happens in his career, but he's a rare hitter. If he hits .315 with 45+ HRs you're gonna have a hard time taking anyone of those guys after the top 3 above him. 

I mean we‘ll see. I just feel like the lack of SB‘s will hurt him and don’t really see him on that level, but you could be right obviously at this point we‘re all just guessing.