Sign in to follow this  
Cmilne23

The Swing and Miss Thread

Bobby Higginson. It was like the talent evaporated 

Not on the list - but in recent years, no one has burned me more than Addison Russell.

I'm still waiting on Dom Brown, Travis Snyder and Dustin Ackley...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I was all over Brandon Wood for a few years.  I was sure I struck GOLD at SS in a AL dynasty league.

Also, Ian Stewart.  He looked like the heir apparent to Vinny Castilla as a power hitting 3B in Coors field

Might need to add Byron Buxton to this list as I've had drafted him when he was in the minors, traded him, traded for him, cut him, picked him up, traded him and picked him up again 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Trexpenniebaker said:

I am still waiting to see Bryon Buxton live up to the hype. Thought he be the next Darrel Strawberry in his prime.

I was thinking more of a prime time Eric Davis.  Well, at least Buxton has the injury prone tag just like Eric the Red.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, JE7HorseGod said:

I'm still waiting on Dom Brown, Travis Snyder and Dustin Ackley...

Dom Brown and Desmond Jennings were two for me.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Backdoor Slider said:

Dom Brown and Desmond Jennings were two for me.

I forget about Desmond Jennings.  I was all over him for a few years knowing it was just a matter of time until he blossomed

Yeah we all were hoping Jennings would be the next Carl Crawford.  Swing and a miss!

I thought Joba would be the next Bartolo Colon.

Wilson Betemit was ranked higher than 1 too.  

• Like 1

Gordon Beckham and Brett Lawrie.

Fluky rookie years + attractive position eligibility = huge losses on investment

Their ADPs in subsequent seasons never even came close to the picks I wasted on them.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, My Dinner With Andre said:

Fluky rookie years + attractive position eligibility = huge losses on investment

Their ADPs in subsequent seasons never even came close to the picks I wasted on them.

I actually kept Jesus Montero one year in my keeper league. 🥴

7 minutes ago, kidtwentytwo said:

I thought Joba would be the next Bartolo Colon.

Wilson Betemit was ranked higher than 1 too.  

In that case Joba is a success.  He matched Bartolo’s fitness and buffet style eating skills.

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

I remember when Desmond Jennings and Dominic Smith were the two must have prospects. Never traded a haul of good players for someone not in the majors. I wasted a spot on Profar  in a keep 6 once. That was bad, didn't ruin me. 

These lists are fun and all, and we're still always going to have busts, but prospect evaluation and development has changed tremendously and the bust rate amongst the top guys has dropped and will drop even more.

Edited by brockpapersizer

When it comes to Bust-City, USA....try these three on for size

Whoooops

s-l640.jpg

How'd that "light tower power" work out for this fella in the bigs?? Aaaany day now.

13477-2045248Fr.jpg

Pfffffft! Hahahahahahaha!!!

f98573c9232e4808a6c45b61edd8bafd_front.j

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, My Dinner With Andre said:

Matt Wieters

What was his market price (ADP) at its peak?

I'm going to nix this one.  Guy was certainly a fantasy disappointment. That being said 4 time all star, 2x gold glove winner. 

I'm not sure his ADP was ever super high. He debuted in 2009, so he wouldnt have a high ADP ( I remember drafting him a 2 catcher keeper league in 2009, and I dont think it was before pick 150) that year, so 2010 would have been the highest. Not sure he was ever a top 100 ADP guy. When he came up in 2009, he certainly was the number 1 prospect or close and had a ton of hype, but his cost was like nowhere near someone like Vlad this yea or even the later Acuna/Bryant ADPs in their debut years.

Someone like Salvador Perez who has long been a consistent catcher in MLB, truly underrated good catcher. Career WOBA of 316, Weiters 314.

Edited by brockpapersizer
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, brockpapersizer said:

I'm going to nix this one.  Guy was certainly a fantasy disappointment. That being said 4 time all star, 2x gold glove winner. 

Yeah that’s true. I just remember him being profiled as a switch-hitting Joe Mauer with power. Maybe those weren’t the exact words but Wieters was supposed to beast offensively. Curious he never came close to those expectations, fantasy-wise at least.

• Like 1

Just now, My Dinner With Andre said:

Yeah that’s true. I just remember him being profiled as a switch-hitting Joe Mauer with power. Maybe those weren’t the exact words but Wieters was supposed to beast offensively. Curious he never came close to those expectations, fantasy-wise at least.

Mauer with power was certainly thrown around. He had a ton of hype and disappointed. I just think he still had a decent MLB career, especially with the offensive expectations for a catcher. 

43 minutes ago, My Dinner With Andre said:

Brett Lawrie never recovered after Edward 40 Hands Pic hit the internet.

Safe to say that in the year 2011, anyone who was looking to guarantee themselves a safe source of significant power production who turned to Adam Dunn for said safe source of power production after Dunn had moved on over to the AL after signing with the ChiSox in the offseason.....probably walked away a little disappointed. Take a looksie...

Adam Dunn: in succession, the 7 seasons leading up to 2011

.266 BA, 46 HR, 105 runs, 102 RBI -- 161 games played

.247 BA, 40 HR, 107 runs, 101 RBI -- 160 games played

.234 BA, 40 HR, 99 runs, 92 RBI -- 160 games played

.264 BA, 40 HR, 101 runs, 106 RBI -- 152 games played

.236 BA, 40 HR, 79 runs, 100 RBI -- 158 games played

.267 BA, 38 HR, 81 runs, 105 RBI -- 159 games played

.260 BA, 38 HR, 85 runs, 103 RBI -- 158 games played

Adam Dunn: 2011

.159 (!) BA  (not a typo)

11 HR     (not a typo)

36 runs   (not a typo)

42 RBI    (not a typo)

** 122 games played

** Denotes benched the final 40 games of the season, solely to prevent him from shattering the ever-loving **** out of the all-time single season record for number of strike outs. Dunn was sitting on 222 K's thru 122 ballgames at the time of his benching. He finished the season with 222 K's; zero plate appearances after game 122. 

I was all over White Sox third baseman Josh Fields. I redeemed myself with a straight up trade for Evan Longoria.

I thought Cory Luebke was going to be a star.