Cmilne23

The Swing and Miss Thread

Recommended Posts

The 3 number 1 picks, to never play a game.

Steve chilcott

Brien taylor

Mark appel

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Mariner fans

Ryan Anderson, Mariners declined a trade with pirates for Brian giles, because they didn't want to trade Anderson

Never was on Ackley train

Trout, Arenado, corbin went later

Jesus Montero a good example of ny hype train

Mike zunino just a good example of bad drafting, 3rd pick, see Ackley above, 2nd pick.

Of those guys listed in thread, Montero, Anderson, brown, would be my top 3

Edited by HOOTIE

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, HOOTIE said:

Mariner fans

Ryan Anderson, Mariners declined a trade with pirates for Brian giles, because they didn't want to trade Anderson

Never was on Ackley train

Trout, Arenado, corbin went later

Jesus Montero a good example of ny hype train

Mike zunino just a good example of bad drafting, 3rd pick, see Ackley above, 2nd pick.

Of those guys listed in thread, Montero, Anderson, brown, would be my top 3

Mariners fans could make an entire thread of busts.  Most pathetic loser f***** franchise in sports.  

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For me it was:

Dustin Ackley

Andy LaRoche

Matt LaPorta

Donovan Tate

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, kwelch said:

For me it was:

Dustin Ackley

Andy LaRoche

Matt LaPorta

Donovan Tate

 

Was all over him too.  Thought for sure he’d be a slugger.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, HOOTIE said:

The 3 number 1 picks, to never play a game.

Steve chilcott

Brien taylor

Mark appel

Ha! I had him as one of two minor league keepers!

Man, this thread is bringing up some great forgotten names!

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Going further back Todd Van Poppel should have been the Athletics bust.  

If there was one person I was certain that would be on this list it is Brandon Wood.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hard to believe Bubba Starling hasn't shown up in here yet.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Trexpenniebaker said:

How about Mark Prior.  Never lived up to his hype

2003 I think alone discludes him from this thread.

May have been a short window, but it happened.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Trexpenniebaker said:

How about Mark Prior.  Never lived up to his hype

I think arm injuries derailed his career more than anything.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Huskies34 said:

Jeremy Hermida

Daric Barton

Chad Billingsly


Hermida. My college roommate loved him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, My Dinner With Andre said:

A lot of Orioles pitchers:

 

Dylan Bundy

Kevin Gausman

Brian Matusz

 

Very disappointing.

Gausman should be a great sleeper pick

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wouldn't rule out Bundy either. Orioles organization is just bad at developing SP.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I was in love with C-eligible Kyle Schwarber  going into 2017. I fell into the hype hook line and sinker.

 

Was expecting 35 HR at catcher in Rd 5 and didn’t quite get that. Oddly enough I was also burned by Trevor Story that year but fortunately I didn’t completely sour on him and he ended up fulfilling his promise as a player starting 2018

Edited by UberRebel

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Add Brian Matusz to the Orioles pitching graveyard.

Gordon Beckham

Ian Stewart

Jonathan Singleton

Lastings Milledge

Delmon Young

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm going to softly pencil in Vlad Jr. here.  

My keeper league started a thing a couple years ago where we had 1 minor leaguer and I absolutely stole him a with pick 285 or something and thought I'd have a free superstar for several years, so I hope I'm wrong.

However, his poor performance last year is worrying to me because most guys who are going to be superstars start off well nowadays.

I don't like the fact that he has completely ignored physical fitness up till now.   I think baseball is probably the hardest sport to just half a** it and coast on physical ability.  If someone with the chance to be a star in MLB can't be bothered to pick up a weight until they are 21, that's a big red flag to me. Especially if they grew up rich.

Amazed at his ADP this year.  The arguments I hear for him are a lot of stuff like, he did really well in the HR derby.  Sounds like the classic things people cling to with busts. Some sort of raw physical ability that never shows up in games.  Like a QB who can run and has a big arm but sucks at playing football.  

Clearly, he isn't going to be total trash.  But we're hoping for JD Martinez numbers and we might very well get a guy who is like .280 20/0.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, GamblorLA said:

I'm going to softly pencil in Vlad Jr. here.  

My keeper league started a thing a couple years ago where we had 1 minor leaguer and I absolutely stole him a with pick 285 or something and thought I'd have a free superstar for several years, so I hope I'm wrong.

However, his poor performance last year is worrying to me because most guys who are going to be superstars start off well nowadays.

I don't like the fact that he has completely ignored physical fitness up till now.   I think baseball is probably the hardest sport to just half a** it and coast on physical ability.  If someone with the chance to be a star in MLB can't be bothered to pick up a weight until they are 21, that's a big red flag to me. Especially if they grew up rich.

Amazed at his ADP this year.  The arguments I hear for him are a lot of stuff like, he did really well in the HR derby.  Sounds like the classic things people cling to with busts. Some sort of raw physical ability that never shows up in games.  Like a QB who can run and has a big arm but sucks at playing football.  

Clearly, he isn't going to be total trash.  But we're hoping for JD Martinez numbers and we might very well get a guy who is like .280 20/0.  

Unacceptable. Will not allow it. Calling a guy a “swing and miss” after his age 20 season in which he didn’t live up to unrealistic expectations, yet hit .293/.801 OPS in the 2nd half of the season?

spacer.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, GamblorLA said:

I'm going to softly pencil in Vlad Jr. here.  

My keeper league started a thing a couple years ago where we had 1 minor leaguer and I absolutely stole him a with pick 285 or something and thought I'd have a free superstar for several years, so I hope I'm wrong.

However, his poor performance last year is worrying to me because most guys who are going to be superstars start off well nowadays.

I don't like the fact that he has completely ignored physical fitness up till now.   I think baseball is probably the hardest sport to just half a** it and coast on physical ability.  If someone with the chance to be a star in MLB can't be bothered to pick up a weight until they are 21, that's a big red flag to me. Especially if they grew up rich.

Amazed at his ADP this year.  The arguments I hear for him are a lot of stuff like, he did really well in the HR derby.  Sounds like the classic things people cling to with busts. Some sort of raw physical ability that never shows up in games.  Like a QB who can run and has a big arm but sucks at playing football.  

Clearly, he isn't going to be total trash.  But we're hoping for JD Martinez numbers and we might very well get a guy who is like .280 20/0.  

I think it's within the realm of possibility.

What I think is more likely is something like Prince Fielder in the OF.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.