Cmilne23

The Swing and Miss Thread

The 3 number 1 picks, to never play a game.

Steve chilcott

Brien taylor

Mark appel

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Mariner fans

Ryan Anderson, Mariners declined a trade with pirates for Brian giles, because they didn't want to trade Anderson

Never was on Ackley train

Trout, Arenado, corbin went later

Jesus Montero a good example of ny hype train

Mike zunino just a good example of bad drafting, 3rd pick, see Ackley above, 2nd pick.

Of those guys listed in thread, Montero, Anderson, brown, would be my top 3

Edited by HOOTIE

31 minutes ago, HOOTIE said:

Mariner fans

Ryan Anderson, Mariners declined a trade with pirates for Brian giles, because they didn't want to trade Anderson

Never was on Ackley train

Trout, Arenado, corbin went later

Jesus Montero a good example of ny hype train

Mike zunino just a good example of bad drafting, 3rd pick, see Ackley above, 2nd pick.

Of those guys listed in thread, Montero, Anderson, brown, would be my top 3

Mariners fans could make an entire thread of busts.  Most pathetic loser f***** franchise in sports.  

• Haha 2

For me it was:

Dustin Ackley

Andy LaRoche

Matt LaPorta

Donovan Tate

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, kwelch said:

For me it was:

Dustin Ackley

Andy LaRoche

Matt LaPorta

Donovan Tate

Was all over him too.  Thought for sure he’d be a slugger.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, HOOTIE said:

The 3 number 1 picks, to never play a game.

Steve chilcott

Brien taylor

Mark appel

Ha! I had him as one of two minor league keepers!

Man, this thread is bringing up some great forgotten names!

• Haha 1

Going further back Todd Van Poppel should have been the Athletics bust.  

If there was one person I was certain that would be on this list it is Brandon Wood.

• Like 2

Hard to believe Bubba Starling hasn't shown up in here yet.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Trexpenniebaker said:

How about Mark Prior.  Never lived up to his hype

2003 I think alone discludes him from this thread.

May have been a short window, but it happened.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Trexpenniebaker said:

How about Mark Prior.  Never lived up to his hype

I think arm injuries derailed his career more than anything.

2 hours ago, Huskies34 said:

Jeremy Hermida

Daric Barton

Chad Billingsly

Hermida. My college roommate loved him.

3 hours ago, My Dinner With Andre said:

A lot of Orioles pitchers:

Dylan Bundy

Kevin Gausman

Brian Matusz

Very disappointing.

Gausman should be a great sleeper pick

• Like 1

I wouldn't rule out Bundy either. Orioles organization is just bad at developing SP.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I was in love with C-eligible Kyle Schwarber  going into 2017. I fell into the hype hook line and sinker.

Was expecting 35 HR at catcher in Rd 5 and didn’t quite get that. Oddly enough I was also burned by Trevor Story that year but fortunately I didn’t completely sour on him and he ended up fulfilling his promise as a player starting 2018

Edited by UberRebel

Add Brian Matusz to the Orioles pitching graveyard.

Gordon Beckham

Ian Stewart

Jonathan Singleton

Lastings Milledge

Delmon Young

I'm going to softly pencil in Vlad Jr. here.  

My keeper league started a thing a couple years ago where we had 1 minor leaguer and I absolutely stole him a with pick 285 or something and thought I'd have a free superstar for several years, so I hope I'm wrong.

However, his poor performance last year is worrying to me because most guys who are going to be superstars start off well nowadays.

I don't like the fact that he has completely ignored physical fitness up till now.   I think baseball is probably the hardest sport to just half a** it and coast on physical ability.  If someone with the chance to be a star in MLB can't be bothered to pick up a weight until they are 21, that's a big red flag to me. Especially if they grew up rich.

Amazed at his ADP this year.  The arguments I hear for him are a lot of stuff like, he did really well in the HR derby.  Sounds like the classic things people cling to with busts. Some sort of raw physical ability that never shows up in games.  Like a QB who can run and has a big arm but sucks at playing football.  

Clearly, he isn't going to be total trash.  But we're hoping for JD Martinez numbers and we might very well get a guy who is like .280 20/0.  

7 minutes ago, GamblorLA said:

My keeper league started a thing a couple years ago where we had 1 minor leaguer and I absolutely stole him a with pick 285 or something and thought I'd have a free superstar for several years, so I hope I'm wrong.

However, his poor performance last year is worrying to me because most guys who are going to be superstars start off well nowadays.

I don't like the fact that he has completely ignored physical fitness up till now.   I think baseball is probably the hardest sport to just half a** it and coast on physical ability.  If someone with the chance to be a star in MLB can't be bothered to pick up a weight until they are 21, that's a big red flag to me. Especially if they grew up rich.

Amazed at his ADP this year.  The arguments I hear for him are a lot of stuff like, he did really well in the HR derby.  Sounds like the classic things people cling to with busts. Some sort of raw physical ability that never shows up in games.  Like a QB who can run and has a big arm but sucks at playing football.  

Clearly, he isn't going to be total trash.  But we're hoping for JD Martinez numbers and we might very well get a guy who is like .280 20/0.  

Unacceptable. Will not allow it. Calling a guy a “swing and miss” after his age 20 season in which he didn’t live up to unrealistic expectations, yet hit .293/.801 OPS in the 2nd half of the season?

spacer.png

33 minutes ago, GamblorLA said:

I think it's within the realm of possibility.

What I think is more likely is something like Prince Fielder in the OF.