Sign in to follow this  
Cmilne23

The Swing and Miss Thread

Posted (edited)

seager better get going if he wants to even have a better career than his brother

none of these were locks but more of people i thought would have good mlb careers

weeks brothers

matt dominguez had to think chatsworth teammates with moose would have a productive career

christian colon-royals sure know how to pick them hochever, colon, starling

danny hultzen, zinuno

trevor crow (dude was a monster on ncca baseball for xbox) ha

not really a bust - not sure if i am remembering correctly but was jd drew suppose to be a phemon?

Edited by colepenhagen
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, colepenhagen said:

seager better get going if he wants to even have a better career than his brother

none of these were locks but more of people i thought would have good mlb careers

weeks brothers

matt dominguez had to think chatsworth teammates with moose would have a productive career

christian colon-royals sure know how to pick them hochever, colon, starling

danny hultzen, zinuno

trevor crow (dude was a monster on ncca baseball for xbox) ha

not really a bust - not sure if i am remembering correctly but was jd drew suppose to be a phemon?

The Drew brothers might be the new Seager brothers.  Both Stephen and JD was massive hyped talents.  Both solid major leaguers.  Kyle wasn’t hyped.  Corey was though.  Corey will probably always be a better real life player than fantasy though.  He’s good enough to stick at SS which scouts overrate, but he doesn’t steal bags for us in fantasy, doesn’t have outrageously high power/counting stat ceiling.  He’ll never be a huge ROI guy in fantasy because of lack of statistical contributions in some areas.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, TribeFoo said:

Add Brian Matusz to the Orioles pitching graveyard.

Gordon Beckham

Ian Stewart

Jonathan Singleton

Lastings Milledge

Delmon Young

I was thinking, "That's not fair, Delmon Young had a few good years.". Looked it up; he really had 1 good season.

11 hours ago, Cmilne23 said:

The Drew brothers might be the new Seager brothers.  Both Stephen and JD was massive hyped talents.  Both solid major leaguers.  Kyle wasn’t hyped.  Corey was though.  Corey will probably always be a better real life player than fantasy though.  He’s good enough to stick at SS which scouts overrate, but he doesn’t steal bags for us in fantasy, doesn’t have outrageously high power/counting stat ceiling.  He’ll never be a huge ROI guy in fantasy because of lack of statistical contributions in some areas.

Kyle Seager is also another guy who is a pretty good player in real life, but fairly underwhelming in fantasy.

His value comes in that he plays nearly everyday (aside from last year), is anywhere from an above average to a pretty good hitter, and is good defensively.

But, like Corey, doesn't hit for much power and doesn't steal bases.

These guys had OK and in other cases good careers. But they never really performed at the elite level I expected...

Dice-K

Scott Kazmir

Howie Kendrick

Alex Gordon

3 hours ago, Homerj24 said:

Jose Ortiz and Elijah Dukes were a couple of guys that I was high on. 

Elijah Dukes is infamous in most long-running dynasty leagues, I'd imagine. His name still gets brought up every once in a while in ours.

5 hours ago, My Dinner With Andre said:

These guys had OK and in other cases good careers. But they never really performed at the elite level I expected...

Dice-K

Scott Kazmir

Howie Kendrick

Alex Gordon

these names aren’t in the same stratosphere as some of the others listed earlier.

23 hours ago, Backdoor Slider said:

Unacceptable. Will not allow it. Calling a guy a “swing and miss” after his age 20 season in which he didn’t live up to unrealistic expectations, yet hit .293/.801 OPS in the 2nd half of the season?

spacer.png

He was a .3 WAR last year, which pretty well reflects his fantasy contribution.  

Projections this year have him making significant improvements to about .290 with 22-5 HRs and no speed.  He projects as the #10 3b  in 12 team 5x5, which would make him a loss at current adp. 

So IF he takes a step forward as projections suggest he's already damaged his owners for 2 years.  And where does he go from there?  

Like I said, it's softly penciled in but I don't like where it's headed.  

My take away from this, fwiw, is not to be too keen on guys who don't run at all (or who are totally hopeless in any one category).  Yeah, maybe he turns the corner and is Arenado, but I think I prefer having a broader path to fantasy success.  It's so hard to predict this stuff, I think you want as many ways as possible for things to go right.  That's why I took Jarred Kelenic rather than Julio Rodriguez this year.  

1 hour ago, GamblorLA said:

He was a .3 WAR last year, which pretty well reflects his fantasy contribution.  

Projections this year have him making significant improvements to about .290 with 22-5 HRs and no speed.  He projects as the #10 3b  in 12 team 5x5, which would make him a loss at current adp. 

So IF he takes a step forward as projections suggest he's already damaged his owners for 2 years.  And where does he go from there?  

Like I said, it's softly penciled in but I don't like where it's headed.  

My take away from this, fwiw, is not to be too keen on guys who don't run at all (or who are totally hopeless in any one category).  Yeah, maybe he turns the corner and is Arenado, but I think I prefer having a broader path to fantasy success.  It's so hard to predict this stuff, I think you want as many ways as possible for things to go right.  That's why I took Jarred Kelenic rather than Julio Rodriguez this year.  

So I’m not too worried about the WAR for ~120 games of his age 20 season.

But fair on the fantasy aspects. I just had a problem because this started really as fantasy AND real life baseball busts. I mean, someone then mentioned Corey Seager, who is 25 and has had TWO 6+ WAR seasons. But I get that he hasn’t been as fantasy relevant I guess.

But I still think Vladdy Jr is going to be much like Miggy, and have some .320+/40 HR seasons. But way too premature. I don’t think anyone under 25 should be listed in this thread. My $0.02.

A few years ago I drafted Maikel Franco in a keeper for $28. 

spacer.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

A.J. Reed decided to retire earlier this month.
It didn't get much attention, but WTHI-TV in Terre Haute, Indiana was first with the story earlier this month. Reed was once a highly-touted slugger in the Astros organization, highlighted by a monster season between High-A and Double-A in 2015, but he was unable to get that success to translate to the majors. The 26-year-old batted just .149/.241/.234 with four homers over 199 plate appearances, including a brief stint with the White Sox after he was claimed off waivers from the Astros last year. Per the WTHI-TV report, he's looking forward to spending more time with his family.

This dude was very sought-after for a period of time. Amazing he's retired at 26.

• Like 2

Matt Wieters. Put together a "decent" career but I was planning on huge things from him. His best season was something I imagined would've been his worst.