bhawks489

Lamar Miller 2020 Outlook

50 minutes ago, SyNdicateZ said:

Depth add.....

This is Damien Harris' backfield

Just like when they said it was Duke Johnson's backfield last off-season.

Damien Harris is nothing...I wouldn't be surprised when Miller does well with the backfield.

• Like 2

Yeah I think Miller just landed in a nice spot. Bill knows him well and I am betting he is gonna use him. I def won't be getting Miller in the 26-28th Rds in best ball anymore.

To those claiming Miller's nothing more than insurance and Harris is the #1, I'd just like to ask...based on what? Age? Because that's the only advantage he has on Miller. 

Miller, assuming full health is only 29 himself, but has a LOT more experience compared to Harris. Advantage goes to Miller IMHO. 

Posted (edited)
50 minutes ago, The G Man said:

To those claiming Miller's nothing more than insurance and Harris is the #1, I'd just like to ask...based on what? Age? Because that's the only advantage he has on Miller. 

Miller, assuming full health is only 29 himself, but has a LOT more experience compared to Harris. Advantage goes to Miller IMHO. 

“Only 29”? 29 is old by NFL RB standards. At 29, Miller has lots of wear and tear on his body, and to make matters worse, he’s coming off an ACL injury. That’s a recipe for losing a step to say the least. He also has zero experience in the Pats offensive system. At this point he’s probably happy to be extending his career as a veteran backup. I doubt even Lamar Miller honestly thinks he can, or even wants to be a workhorse anymore. 

Conversely, Harris is a young, heathy, hungry 23 year old RB looking to seize an opportunity to jump-start his career. He was hand picked by Belichick in the 3rd round of 2019, realizing Sony Michel might not be cut out for the long haul. He’s a hard-nosed between the tackles runner, capable of playing all 3 downs if necessary. Harris is well suited as a workhorse type back, with a year if experience in the Pats offensive system, and reports out of camp were that he was going to have a large role, prior to Michel potentially being unavailable week 1. 

Edited by Lamont Sanford
  • Like 3

45 minutes ago, The G Man said:

Its based on the fact that someone else beat them to the punch 

1 minute ago, Lamont Sanford said:

“Only 29”? 29 is old by NFL RB standards. At 29, Miller has lots of wear and tear on his body, and To make matters worse, he’s coming off an ACL injury. That’s a recipe for losing a step to say the least. He also has zero experience in the Pats offensive system. At this point he’s probably happy to be extending his career as a veteran backup. I doubt even Lamar Miller honestly thinks he can be a workhorse anymore. 

Conversely, Harris is a young, heathy, hungry 23 year old RB looking to seize an opportunity to jump-start his career and was hand picked by Belichick in the 3rd round of 2019. He’s a hard-nosed between the tackles runner, capable of playing all 3 downs if necessary. Harris is well suited as a workhorse type back, with a year if experience in the Pats offensive system, and reports out of camp were that he was going to have a large role, prior to Michel potentially being unavailable week 1. 

You know what, it really kinda chafes me when someone nit picks on one word. OK, so he's 29, not "only 29". Better? I did say that Harris had the age advantage over Miller too BTW. You saw that, right? 

I also said "assuming full health" re; Miller. Of course he's got more wear and tear on him, but is there really a tangible correlation between coming back off a torn ACL and losing step "to say the least"? I really don't know. And, while he may zero experience in the Pats system, he's got a LOT more experience than Harris, which matters a LOT to BB.

Look, I like Harris too, and I think he may very well be the guy at some point. I just don't know that we're there yet. That's why I was asking what people were basing their projections on (of Harris being the presumptive starter if Michel misses time). You may be 100% right, but I just don't see it. Not yet anyway.

JMHO...

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, The G Man said:

You know what, it really kinda chafes me when someone nit picks on one word. OK, so he's 29, not "only 29". Better? I did say that Harris had the age advantage over Miller too BTW. You saw that, right? 

I also said "assuming full health" re; Miller. Of course he's got more wear and tear on him, but is there really a tangible correlation between coming back off a torn ACL and losing step "to say the least"? I really don't know. And, while he may zero experience in the Pats system, he's got a LOT more experience than Harris, which matters a LOT to BB.

Look, I like Harris too, and I think he may very well be the guy at some point. I just don't know that we're there yet. That's why I was asking what people were basing their projections on (of Harris being the presumptive starter if Michel misses time). You may be 100% right, but I just don't see it. Not yet anyway.

JMHO...

“Nit picking”? I’m sorry, but yes, saying, “Miller is only 29” is different than saying “Miller is 29”. The former implies that being “only 29” is a factor in his favor, the latter implies the opposite to the majority who view 29 as an aging NFL RB. If that’s not what you meant so be it, but seems misguided to label my reply as “nit picking”. I was simply responding to a point you seemed to be making. 

If I were defending Tom Brady vs a younger QB and said “Brady is only 57”, I would expect someone would take issue with that. Wouldn’t be “nit picking”.

Edited by Lamont Sanford
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Lamont Sanford said:

“Nit picking”? I’m sorry, but yes, saying, “Miller is only 29” is different than saying “Miller is 29”. The former implies that being “only 29” is a factor in his favor, the latter implies the opposite to the majority who view 29 as an aging NFL RB. If that’s not what you meant so be it, but seems misguided to label my reply as “nit picking”. I was simply responding to a point you seemed to be making. 

If I were defending Tom Brady vs a younger QB and said “Brady is only 57”, I would expect someone would take issue with that. Wouldn’t be “nit picking”.

Whatever dude. Agree to disagree.

Pats backfield always sucks, why is anyone surprised. 

james white, Sony Michel, Damien Harris, and now Lamar Miller...

Posted (edited)

ff harris couldnt take any snaps from awful sony last year and they just signed lamar, then reading between the lines says harris isnt the answer.

Edited by colepenhagen
  • Like 1

A Patriots backfield is always a crap shoot to predict. 

The same analysts that get it right one year miss the next, and vice versa. 

It's always changing and hard to predict season to season and especially week to week. 

I bet Lamar does just enough to muddle the situation enough for everyone to be fantasy non valuable. 

Lamar is weird though, some games he looks like he's running through mud and almost looks sapped of NFL RB level explosion then he tears off a 97 yarder to the house. 

He's had a full year to recover from his ACL so I bet that won't hinder him as much as some are suggesting. 

Blount was 29 when he put up 1100 and 18 tds. If Miller gets playtime I think he will absolutely produce, as I said only reason to be salty in here is if you didn't snag him, hes an easy hold and see 

1 hour ago, Savatage79 said:

Blount was 29 when he put up 1100 and 18 tds. If Miller gets playtime I think he will absolutely produce, as I said only reason to be salty in here is if you didn't snag him, hes an easy hold and see 

Not the only reason to be salty. I own no shares of either, and neither of my leagues has even drafted yet for someone to snag Miller ahead of me. But I look at this and wonder why. Let Harris have a full shot at this with White continuing in his role. I guess they’re hedging their bets, but Harris deserves a shot as the lead rusher for NE. I hope he gets it and Lamar is just the veteran presence on the sideline and in the locker room. And again, haven’t even drafted yet to have a share of either. 

2 hours ago, Flyman75 said:

Not the only reason to be salty. I own no shares of either, and neither of my leagues has even drafted yet for someone to snag Miller ahead of me. But I look at this and wonder why. Let Harris have a full shot at this with White continuing in his role. I guess they’re hedging their bets, but Harris deserves a shot as the lead rusher for NE. I hope he gets it and Lamar is just the veteran presence on the sideline and in the locker room. And again, haven’t even drafted yet to have a share of either. 

I'm sure they will give him carries but the kid has what 4 carries to his name, 12 yards...I mean to just say "ok were good guys, we have Harris " doesn't seem to fit the bill.

Miller is going to be their veteran back that will get the bulk, white will do his thing and Harris will get some more work. But I think Miller will definitely have a huge part of the offense if he stays healthy 

16 minutes ago, Savatage79 said:

I'm sure they will give him carries but the kid has what 4 carries to his name, 12 yards...I mean to just say "ok were good guys, we have Harris " doesn't seem to fit the bill.

Miller is going to be their veteran back that will get the bulk, white will do his thing and Harris will get some more work. But I think Miller will definitely have a huge part of the offense if he stays healthy 

You make good points. He was good for 13, 11, and 11 ppg in his three years in Houston. Not sexy, but if he’s around in the later rounds, he could be an interesting bench piece. I just question how much run he’ll actually get and if he’ll split time with Harris in the early going. And then when Michel comes off the PUP list, what happens? I guess I just don’t see the upside in Miller. Maybe a few weeks of Flex type production until Michel returns?

6 hours ago, Flyman75 said:

You make good points. He was good for 13, 11, and 11 ppg in his three years in Houston. Not sexy, but if he’s around in the later rounds, he could be an interesting bench piece. I just question how much run he’ll actually get and if he’ll split time with Harris in the early going. And then when Michel comes off the PUP list, what happens? I guess I just don’t see the upside in Miller. Maybe a few weeks of Flex type production until Michel returns?

My hunch is that in a year like this Sony isn't going to be swooped back in. He may but foot issues just always tend to linger , and Its just a guess but my guess is Sony misses a decent bit of time.

Plus we don't know how this offense will really look without Brady, so to me its worth a hold and see. Nobody thought Blount would pound 18 tds either , so I just think its worth hanging onto the guy 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Savatage79 said:

My hunch is that in a year like this Sony isn't going to be swooped back in. He may but foot issues just always tend to linger , and Its just a guess but my guess is Sony misses a decent bit of time.

Plus we don't know how this offense will really look without Brady, so to me its worth a hold and see. Nobody thought Blount would pound 18 tds either , so I just think its worth hanging onto the guy 

If you have him, I agree that it's definitely worth holding onto Miller. Bill is very unpredictable, lol. Would anyone be shocked if, with a new QB, Bill made Lamar a three-down back, relegating White and Harris and Sony to the bench? Lol! Heck, I wouldn't be shocked if Bill put Stidham at QB and lined Cam at TE, motioning him into the backfield. Haha!

I like the idea of Miller having a Blount type season in New England. I’m just wary of any running back on this team because of Cam at the goal line. He may run less overall this season in New England but he’ll still be their best goal line option. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The Pats can say how great Damien Harris is all they want, but their actions speak louder than words.

Action:  left Harris inactive almost every game last year.

Action:  signed Lamar Miller when it became apparent that Sony Michel was not going to be ready for the start of the season

Action:  restructured the Sexy Rexy contract so that he could fit in with their previous salary cap.

All those tell me Harris is not yet ready, if he ever will be.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Flyman75 said:

If you have him, I agree that it's definitely worth holding onto Miller. Bill is very unpredictable, lol. Would anyone be shocked if, with a new QB, Bill made Lamar a three-down back, relegating White and Harris and Sony to the bench? Lol! Heck, I wouldn't be shocked if Bill put Stidham at QB and lined Cam at TE, motioning him into the backfield. Haha!

i can jive with all you posit, except for White ... Hoodie loves Blanco  💘 

kid went off in that SB comeback, he will always get run ... i get the gist of your hypothetical Hoodie shennanigans, but White is bulletproof.

as far as Lamar up there?  ehhh ... a mendicant's Corey Dillon is best case scenario, imo - dunno. 

i won't be taking le plunge. 

gl to all who venture.

• Like 1

Cam does not throw to RBs very much iirc.

We actually still don't know if Cam is going to start.  Seems likely.

But Miller probably is mostly a depth signing.  Should be pretty cheap on draft day, though.

A starting running back on a good team is nothing to sneeze at.