SundaySilence

Parris Campbell 2020 Outlook

Recommended Posts

Wanted to get a feel on how you guys perceive this dude going into his sophomore season. I'm sorta high on the prospect of him playing with Rivers.. I have him in one of my keeper leagues and seriously debating keeping him over guys like Marquise Brown.  Thoughts? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The upside is still very much there - he just has to find a way to stay healthy.  You also want to consider how long you expect Rivers to keep playing, for dynasty purposes.

 

Just remember that, unlike Brown, Campbell is not going to be the lead WR for the team.  And Rivers does have a tendency to feed his favorite target.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have a very small sample size with Campbell.  A lot of moving parts in Indy now.  If he develops quickly enough, T.Y. may go to the slot full time and everyone will have a clearly defined role.  Right now it's just wait and see.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, BluePhoenix said:

We have a very small sample size with Campbell.  A lot of moving parts in Indy now.  If he develops quickly enough, T.Y. may go to the slot full time and everyone will have a clearly defined role.  Right now it's just wait and see.

Campbell's skill set is ideally suited for the slot, I thought. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, El_Chingon said:

Campbell's skill set is ideally suited for the slot, I thought. 

He was drafted for that role, I thought.
I have to say though, it's not a completely crazy idea. Hilton has been effective in the slot and Campbell should also fit well outside.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/10/2020 at 7:56 PM, Boudewijn said:

He was drafted for that role, I thought.
I have to say though, it's not a completely crazy idea. Hilton has been effective in the slot and Campbell should also fit well outside.

 

When analysts were discussing Campbell during his draft, sources stated that while he was used primarily on intermediate and YAC-yard routes at Ohio State, Indy saw him as being able to do much more than that on their ball club.  It remains to be seen what becomes of him.  Keep in mind that Dezmon Patmon is one of two 6'4, 225 lb rookie WRs entering the mix.  If those guys both hit, Campbell will be competing for the practice squad.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Exceptional athlete, but oft-injured last season so never really got going on the field.  This is the perfect player to take with your last pick in the draft though.  Second year WR breakout is real, and the guy has the athleticism.  Breakout age and college dominator are pretty weak though.  With your last pick, why not grab the guy who COULD be the #2 on the offense.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking at $1 late auction steals, how do you compare Campbell with the Anthony Millers, Curtis Samuels or Mike Williams of the world?

All of those players are a little older and have shown a some more of what they can do, but none have necessarily taken off. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For $1 worth a shot. Most of those guys are although I’m a non believer in Samuels. Had plenty of opportunity last season and for the most part turned in a dud plus Robby Anderson has a previous connection with Rhule.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, SvanE42 said:

Looking at $1 late auction steals, how do you compare Campbell with the Anthony Millers, Curtis Samuels or Mike Williams of the world?

All of those players are a little older and have shown a some more of what they can do, but none have necessarily taken off. 

In redraft:

Miller>>>Campbell>Williams>=Samuel

41 minutes ago, Black_Panther said:

For $1 worth a shot. Most of those guys are although I’m a non believer in Samuels. Had plenty of opportunity last season and for the most part turned in a dud plus Robby Anderson has a previous connection with Rhule.

But I disagree with this. Samuel in talent is above all except maybe Miller. His separation stats were great last year but awful QB play meant that no one could throw the deep ball and just dinked and dunked to DJM even as Samuel got open. He had one of the one catchable target percentages of any receiver

Thing is Teddy doesn't throw deep either and now Anderson is there, but he is still ridiculously talented imo.

Good buy in dynasty for a rebuilding team with free agency in a year and the possibility to be a WR2 elsewhere

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, mocha4313 said:

In redraft:

Miller>>>Campbell>Williams>=Samuel

But I disagree with this. Samuel in talent is above all except maybe Miller. His separation stats were great last year but awful QB play meant that no one could throw the deep ball and just dinked and dunked to DJM even as Samuel got open. He had one of the one catchable target percentages of any receiver

Thing is Teddy doesn't throw deep either and now Anderson is there, but he is still ridiculously talented imo.

Good buy in dynasty for a rebuilding team with free agency in a year and the possibility to be a WR2 elsewhere

You can blame poor qb play all you want but the better receivers generally find a way to get it done. Samuels did not. He had 105 targets last year which placed him astoundingly 26th most targets on the season and turned that into 54 receptions for 627 yards. The only thing that made it semi palatable was the 6TD. Compare that to his teammate in DJ who had just 30 more targets at 135 and converted that for 87 receptions and 1175 yards in one less game with the same bad qb play. Throw in Anderson this season with the Temple connections is a poor selection for mind in redraft and I’d rather not have the headache in dynasty.

Campbell is more deserving of a spot as far as I’m concerned as he hasn’t had a season to be given a fair chance. Samuel has had 3 seasons to prove himself including the 105 targets he received last season. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Campbell has young Keenan Allen upside in my view. Allen had just over 100 targets in his rookie year and perhaps that's a stretch for Campbell this year but the man will be in the slot and River is getting older. Campbell is a good lottery ticket and he could be a surprise home run like Allen was early in his career.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, SvanE42 said:

Looking at $1 late auction steals, how do you compare Campbell with the Anthony Millers, Curtis Samuels or Mike Williams of the world?

All of those players are a little older and have shown a some more of what they can do, but none have necessarily taken off. 

Drop it like its hot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Spyplane said:

Campbell has young Keenan Allen upside in my view. Allen had just over 100 targets in his rookie year and perhaps that's a stretch for Campbell this year but the man will be in the slot and River is getting older. Campbell is a good lottery ticket and he could be a surprise home run like Allen was early in his career.

 

Is that his game?  Allen wins with incredible route running and release but lacks elite athleticism.  Campbell has elite athleticism, but what else does he have going for him?  Just curious, I know pretty much nothing about the guy except his fast 40 time.

 

From my perspective I was thinking Hilton will absorb most of the targets ala Keenan Allen and Pittman would be that big possession guy Rivers usually had in SD, like Mike Williams and Malcolm Floyd.  Not sure where Campbell would fit in with a healthy Hilton.

Edited by Illusion_J

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here’s a guy who won’t be on any of teams. Shocked he still gets hype. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Ryansm11 said:

Here’s a guy who won’t be on any of teams. Shocked he still gets hype. 

 

He's going to be free in drafts. Im sure as hell not wasting a high pick on Hilton.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/14/2020 at 1:02 PM, Illusion_J said:

 

Is that his game?  Allen wins with incredible route running and release but lacks elite athleticism.  Campbell has elite athleticism, but what else does he have going for him?  Just curious, I know pretty much nothing about the guy except his fast 40 time.

 

From my perspective I was thinking Hilton will absorb most of the targets ala Keenan Allen and Pittman would be that big possession guy Rivers usually had in SD, like Mike Williams and Malcolm Floyd.  Not sure where Campbell would fit in with a healthy Hilton.

I'm talking stats potential. This isn't the film room, this is math class. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/14/2020 at 4:24 PM, Ryansm11 said:

Here’s a guy who won’t be on any of teams. Shocked he still gets hype. 

Is he really being hyped or is it that people have described how he may be Rivers' second receiver?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/14/2020 at 2:54 PM, Ryansm11 said:

Here’s a guy who won’t be on any of teams. Shocked he still gets hype. 

Still? It's literally his second year in the league and his first one while healthy. Give the kid a chance to establish himself lol.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/15/2020 at 4:54 AM, Ryansm11 said:

Here’s a guy who won’t be on any of teams. Shocked he still gets hype. 

It’s not hype. It’s called a late round dart throw. A sophomore receiver on a good team with a WR1 in Hilton who is a little shaky injury wise. Will probably be drafted as a WR6 but with potential to be a WR2/3 if things fall his way. Lack of preseason makes it hard to discern exactly how it will likely pan out but nothing wrong with taking an upside player very late in the draft.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Concussion protocol due to a car wreck. Hopefully Campbell recovers quickly and suffers no lasting effects but Pittman Jr. is moving up the board.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Campbell apparently has secured the No. 2 WR role so he should be drafted before Pittman but isn’t. I’d be surprised if we don’t see screens and gadget plays drawn up for the speedy Campbell. He has a great ceiling at cost not to mention, he’d shoot up weekly rankings if anything happens to Hilton.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GOAT-dell Beckham said:

Campbell apparently has secured the No. 2 WR role so he should be drafted before Pittman but isn’t. I’d be surprised if we don’t see screens and gadget plays drawn up for the speedy Campbell. He has a great ceiling at cost not to mention, he’d shoot up weekly rankings if anything happens to Hilton.

Do you have a citation for Campbell securing the No. 2 role?  I'd love to get the number 2 in this offense, just can't decide if it's Pittman or Campbell.  These guys both have traits Rivers loves, but it all depends on what "experts" you listen to.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GOAT-dell Beckham said:

Campbell apparently has secured the No. 2 WR role so he should be drafted before Pittman but isn’t. I’d be surprised if we don’t see screens and gadget plays drawn up for the speedy Campbell. He has a great ceiling at cost not to mention, he’d shoot up weekly rankings if anything happens to Hilton.

From everything I read they're over the moon with Pittman Jr., comparing him to a young Reggie Wayne in game and locker room presence.

 

I also read that Campbell is going to be their slot guy. I'll be shocked if Campbell is lining up outside much.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pittman Jr. also has some pedigree. His father's best season in the league was 1,300 yards and ten TDs.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.