The G Man

Alshon Jeffery 2020 Outlook

The Philadelphia Inquirer's Jeff McLane reports the Eagles attempted to trade Alshon Jeffery last season.

Eagles GM Howie Roseman reportedly began shopping Jeffery only a month after the organization guaranteed his $15.4 million cap hit for 2020. Now 30 and questionable for the start of training camp following Lisfranc surgery, it would be shocking if the team received so much as an offer for the disgruntled wideout ahead of the regular season. Philadelphia is fully expected to add to their receiving room on both Day 1 and Day 2 of April's draft.

Apr 7, 2020, 8:14 AM ET

Nothing on Alshon since April 7th?

Is there any recent news on his injury?

Will he start on PUP or be cleared?

Would yall even bother taking a chance on him, even super late in drafts, if he's placed on the PUP?

3 hours ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

Is there any recent news on his injury?

https://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/news/eagles-place-wr-alshon-jeffery-on-active-pup-list

The Eagles announced on Tuesday that they have placed wide receiver Alshon Jeffery on the Active/PUP list. While unable to practice due to a foot injury he suffered last season, Jeffery still counts toward the active roster.

If he is not cleared to play before the start of the regular season, the Eagles can place Jeffery on the Reserve/PUP list, but he would have to remain sidelined for at least the first six weeks.

"He's doing extremely well," Head Coach Doug Pederson said of Jeffery on Monday. "Again, he's in a really good spot. He's going to continue to work and get himself ready. Obviously, I won't – you know me, I don't put timetables on players, but when he's ready, he's ready, and he'll be back out there on the field with us.

200.gif

• Like 1

Cheap lotto ticket for now. In the age of COVID I might need the IR slot soon but for now he stays.

Posted (edited)

I just found this snippet amusing. The writer comes off as a dbag who doesn't know wtf he's talking about. Jeffery's injury history notwithstanding, a Lisfranc fracture is one of the nastiest injuries in sports. The recovery is brutal and most players do not look like themselves for at least a full calendar year. It's usually not until the second year post-injury that you can evaluate his recovery. I just think the post is a good example that shows a lot of these writers and so-called experts really don't know any more than you or I do, and sometimes they know considerably less.

What can we say at this point? It's more of a surprise to see him on the field than off the field. He's now missed 20 games over the last five seasons and appears set to start the year on the PUP list after undergoing Lisfranc surgery in mid-December. You'd think he'd be good to go by now, but with Jeffery, nothing is a given

One thing that's a given is that a a big-bodied NFL receiver will not recover from Lisfranc fracture in 8 months. The only reason Jeffery is even on the roster is because he has an albatross of a contract that cutting him is essentially a net loss. The sensible plan is keep Jeffery sidelined through mid-season , and if he can contribute anything in November and December, that's a bonus.

Edited by EaglesRocker97

Even if he does come back, you’re just waiting for him to get hurt again. Lol. 

Alshon did take his off season very serious this go around. Looks like he really dedicated everything into it. There was a picture of him around August looking shredded. Pederson didn't put him on IR or PUP. I think he'll be back in a couple weeks if anyone's really banged up at WR or looking for a potential stash. I grabbed him early just incase. Didn't wanna have to spend faab the week he does comeback

• Like 1

At this point we’re looking for a WR2/3 type, potential for bye week fill ins or spot starts? Alshon seems like the perfect stash just for that.

Reager out 6-8 weeks through the bye, team is seriously lacking any weapons outside of their 2 stud TEs. Someone has to catch some passes outside. 

Give him a few weeks to get up to game speed, and he could be perfect to fill that hole in lineups. 

I have never in my life bet against Alshon Jeffrey and I'm not going to start now.  The only person who stops Alshon is Alshon.

10 minutes ago, TwoCan Sam said:

This is eerily similar to the Josh Gordon threads I see

In that they are both risk-free IR slot guys? Sure. Alshon helped to ruin a season for me a few years back when he was with the Bears, so I don't really have good feelings about him, but if he's healthy he would immediately jump into a very favorable position with a QB who has fed him the ball for years. With Gordon, you're looking at him being maybe the fourth best option in that offense.

Edited by Hacksawjimduggan
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Hacksawjimduggan said:

In that they are both risk-free IR slot guys? Sure. Alshon helped to ruin a season for me a few years back when he was with the Bears, so I don't really have good feelings about him, but if he's healthy he would immediately jump into a very favorable position with a QB who has fed him the ball for years. With Gordon, you're looking at him being maybe the fourth best option in that offense.

I meant more of the Josh Gordon threads from the past 5 years where it’s a “when he comes back he’s gonna __”

not saying Alshon won’t do anything whenever he returns. IR slots are going to be more valuable this season than ever (a lot of leagues only have 1, maybe 2), so it is more of a risk than you would believe storing Alshon. 

I'll be shocked if he stays healthy or puts up consistent relevant fantasy numbers. Someone kidnapped Wentz and replaced him with his evil twin and there are far more targets than when we last saw Alshon in the year 1904.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Alshon's a shell of his former self. Might  possibly play week 5, just hard to see him giving you much production.  Time will tell.

• Like 1

In half PPR, he produced 10.1 ppg in 2017, 11.7 in 2018, and 10.1 in 2019...didn’t count any fumbles he might have lost. If he can produce 10 ppg this year, I think it would be a help to some injury-plagued teams. And there really aren’t many options for targets in the WR room. That said, this is an old and battered Alshon, and it would be surprising if he made it thru the rest of the season unscathed. 

Alshon is finishing this season top 20 in PPR.  Not because I have any basis in reality for that to be true, but because I really want it to be true.

choooo-weee

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, mjb said:

Alshon's a shell of his former self. Might  possibly play week 5, just hard to see him giving you much production.  Time will tell.

3 catches, 25 yards and 1 TD. The board erupts with excitement and then a week later with rage.

• Like 1